mortimer chat espn

afosomf

Chat with Chris Mortensen ... notice one highlightied in red

Welcome to The Show! On Wednesday, ESPN NFL reporter Chris Mortensen will stop by to take your questions about all of the action on the NFL gridiron!

Send your questions now and join Mort on Wednesday at 11 a.m. ET!

Mortensen Archive: Chats | Columns

Chris Mortensen: Good morning! Let's get started...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Batch (Boston, MA): Do you think Teddy Bruschi is on his back 9? He just can't seem to meet lead blockers at the hole the way he used to.

Chris Mortensen: That has been my impression for the past year or so, but I just got off the phone with a GM who watched the Ravens-Pats tape and he was surprised that the game tape gave a different impression: Bruschi and Junior Seau played well vs. the Ravens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike (Cleveland): Do you think that there will come a day in which officials are demanded to give post game press conferences like the players and coaches?

Chris Mortensen: What would that accomplish? I don't think that would be a good idea. The referee is supposed to be available for statement to answer a significant controversy (such as the field goal in the Browns-Ravens game).

Sam (Chicago): It seems to me the Bears offseason is going to be a nightmare. The entire team seems to be leaving or retiring and there isn't one player or position where I feel confident about next season. If you're Jerry Angelo, where do you start?

Chris Mortensen: Well, Lance Briggs will be coming back. That's good. Rex Grossman might get another shot. I think Angelo is one of the more capable GMs around and he's an outstanding evaluator. You still have to constantly build through the draft and keep your free agent types if they are in the mid 20's.

Vincent (Chicago): The past few weeks, teams have been effectively jamming Moss at the line of scrimmage. Shouldn't the Pats put him in motion more often to get hiim a free release?

Chris Mortensen: Good question. By the way, he had a lot of problems Monday night. Some of it was because he had trouble getting off the jam. He complained about being held. But I am hearing from more people - not just Ron Jaworski - that some of his old habits of takings plays off is very real.

Izzback, NY: Mort, After the Dallas game, do you believe now that Green Bay will earn a first round bye and win a playoff game?

Chris Mortensen: Yes, I do. Barring more injuries, I would feel pretty good about forecasting a Cowboys-Packers NFC title game.

Paul (San Diego, CA): I admit the Patriots are playing great this year. But why is the media so disinterested in exploring the fact that the NFL rushed to destroy spygate evidence, and that the Patriots may have won their previous Super Bowls unfairly. Seems like a good story for a good reporter, but not one reporter (with the possible exception of Greg Easterbrook) seems the least bit interested in giving it the time of day. Are Tom Brady's eyes really that dreamy to distract reporters from a good story?

Chris Mortensen: Perhaps fans or interested parties didn't pay attention to what I reported, along with a few others: Bill Belichick admitted to the commissioner that the taping of opposing team's defensive signals had been standard practice for him because of his interpretation of the rules. That means the Patrtios did it during the Super Bowl seasons. What kiind of impact did it have? That's left to your interpretation.

Chris (Broadview Heights, OH): Did the loss of Adrian Wilson wipe out the Cardinals playoff chances for all intents and purposes? Can't see how they'll replace their best defensive player for the next 4 games (even though they beat Cleveland).

Chris Mortensen: Yeah, losing Adrian Wilson was a tremendous blow and now there are other injuries to worry about like Anquan Boldin.

Ryan, Ohio: Mort -- what is the consensus in Bristol about the Winslow force-out no-call?

Chris Mortensen: The officials probably got it right. There was no absolutely no definitive way to say Winslow would have come down with both feet. I leaned toward that he would have...but the consensus is they got it right. That was not the reason the Browns lost the game, as you know.

PT (Franklin, NC): Does Russell see any more action this weekend versus the Packers, or do we have to wait to see him again?

Chris Mortensen: The Raiders have a little winning streak going so they'll start the veteran and get Russell some play-time. I think they will have to lose another game before Russell gets a start.

Nasir, Philly: Romo, third best QB in the league?

Chris Mortensen: He's playing as well as ANY quarterback in the league right now. Now, there's a difference between who's playing the best and the bigger picture of where he ranks. But he is an MVP candidate, for sure.

Paul (Denver): Do you see any way the Bears go after Michael Turner in the off-season?

Chris Mortensen: That would make sense. They have to get a running back in there. You just don't over-pay in terms of salary because there are too many running backs having success in this league who come from lower salary scales and draft picks.

Sam (New York): By ANY you mean everyone in the league except Tom Brady, right?

Chris Mortensen: In the past few weeks, Romo is playing as well as anyone, including Brady. In the big picture, Brady is having the best season and he is a better quarterback than Romo.

Tiff (California): Do you think the Vikes T Jackson is really getting the hang of it and playing better or is it just because of the teams they have been playing? Could he actually be everything Brad Childress thought he would be?

Chris Mortensen: Tavaris Jackson has thrown only 13 incomplete passes over the Vikings' 3-game winning streak. He's been accurate, making good decisions, making plays with his feet. Brad Childress sees a comparable rate of growth with Jackson than he saw when he had Donovan McNabb in Philly. But let's see how he finishes the soeason.

Jim (Cleveland): What do you make of Bart Scott's comments on SportsCenter last night? He blamed the refs for the timeout, the false start, the holding and the TD. Has he gone mad?

Chris Mortensen: Losing an emotionally, hard fought game will make you crazy. I will call it temporary insanity. After the game is one thing (was this the post-game comments?) but if he said it Tuesday, then he needs to move on. And he will, I think.

SpencerY(NJ): Hi Mort. What would be the bet way for the Steelers to attack the Pats? Seems going no-huddle with 4-wide and throwing short passes has been effective, along with the power running game like the Raven's used. Steelers are equiped to do both.

Chris Mortensen: The Steelers seem equipped to give the Pats a close game, except they haven't been strong road team.

Chris Mortensen: Close call. If the Titans beat San Diego at home this week, they may have an edge. The Colts could be resting a lot of players in their last game vs. Titans, depending on how the Steelers finish. The Browns have enough holes to lose a couple but I will guess Cleveland on this one.

Adam (Chicago): Has there been any whispers around the league about the Bengals giving up? For example, stepping out of bounds on a 4th and 18 after a 15 yard completion?

Chris Mortensen: One football man told me the Bengals seem to get their energy drained whenever they experience adversity in a game. That's a character issue.

Fred (Miami): What do you think of John Beck? I think they made a mistake drafting him because even though he is a rookie, he has looked really bad and he is already 26 so he is not like you can really give him too long to develop.

Chris Mortensen: The age factor is so overrated. Too many quarterbacks have experienced their first success when they were 30-plus and sustained it (Steve Young, Rich Gannon, Trent Green, just of the top of my head). Beck is going to be a good quarterback. He's taking over a team under the worst possible circumstances but his maturity will allow him to deal with it.

Trace (Dallas): If the Cowboys and Packers meet in the NFC championship game, with both teams healthy, will you again pick the Packers to win? It seems the Boys are just better (though not by a lot)!!

Chris Mortensen: I would probably pick the Cowboys now that I have seen the two teams play. If the Packers are healthier, yes, it could go either way but I think the Cowboys could get better as the season moves on. It seems Wade Phillips is still adapting his defense as he learns the personnel. And maybe Terry Glenn makes it back, too, for the playoffs.

matt (orlando): Mort, are the Bills going to see a postseason? and is Edwards for real?

Chris Mortensen: The Bills have a shot. I am so impressed with the job Dick Jauron has done and his defensive coordinator, Perry Fewell, should get some head coaching looks over the next couple of years. Trent Edwards looks really good. He had a big, clutch throw to set up that winning FG. Once he finds a way to make more big plays and get his team into the end zone more, they seem to have hit one a good one in Edwards.

Joe (NY): Mort who do you like in a potential Jaguars @ Chargers wildcard game??

Chris Mortensen: I would probably take the Jaguars if they get LB Mike Peterson back, Good game if they play.

JEFF MILLVILLE, NJ: What are the chances Donovan Mcnabb is traded after this season?

Chris Mortensen: I think it depends on how McNabb finishes the season. Otherwise, I would say it's 75-25 that he is back next year.

Wes (Ontario): Is Steve Fairchild done in Buffalo when the season is up? His play calling has been ultra conservative.

Chris Mortensen: Fairchild is a very good play caller and he would be more aggressive but clearly Jauron has wanted a conservative approach for a variety of reasons: Defense has injuries, rookie QB in Edwards (when he plays) and now two RB injuries. So you manage the game just to give your team a chance to win at the end. Fairchild is anything but conservative by nature or desire.

Jeff (Green Bay): Mort, when doing you weekly picks for the rest of the season and the playoffs, could you PLEASE pick AGAINST the Packers? I think you have pick 2 Packer games right all season. Thanks and love your work.

Chris Mortensen: So let it be wrriten, so let it be done!

Xander (Philly): Mort, now that Travis Henry won his appeal, will he get back to 20-25 carries this weekend?

Chris Mortensen: He won't if he keeps putting the ball on the ground, like he did against the Raiders.

Greg (Fargo,ND): Mort, let's say that Cleveland puts a high tender on Derek Anderson. Do you see any team offering a first round and third round pick for him? And if so, which team do you think would do it?

Chris Mortensen: If that happens, I think somebody just might sign him under those circumstances. To name a team is tough. Atlanta may be picking too high. Carolina? Chicago? Actually, now that I look at a list f teams, it may be iffy.

Greg :(Hernando,MS: Do you see Terrance Newman as shut down corner? Also, do you see him finally getting his ProBowl selection that he deserve?

Chris Mortensen: Newman has been one of the most underrated top cover corners in the league. I think the Pro Bowl is a possibility.

elias (fresno): i know its early but what do you think the raiders will be looking for int the upcoming draft? maybe wide receiver or what positions

Chris Mortensen: The Raiders need skill players at WR and they need offensive tackles, for starters. I think they will address that.

Matt (Boston): Asante Samuel is having another great year. Will the pats retain him?

Chris Mortensen: I'll be surprised if the Patriots don't sign him.

Josh (mpls, MN): Who do you like to grab the Wild Card spots in each conference?

Chris Mortensen: To get more specific to your geographical leaning, I like the Vikings chances right now to land a wild card.

James (Jacksonville): What do you think about the job Jack Del Rio has done this year? 8-4, top wild card right now, but is there a single pro bowl player on the roster right now?

Chris Mortensen: Bill Polian of the Colts told me this week that Fred Taylor is absolutely belongs in the Pro Bowl for the way he runs, blocks, catches and plays unselfishly. Rashean Mathis probably will get a nod and David Garrard might compete for that third QB spot with Roethlisberger and Anderson (conceding that Brady and Manning get the first two spots). I'm sure the Jags have a couple others worth considering, too.

Corey (Evansville, IN): Should the Ravens ever turn to Troy Smith?

Chris Mortensen: He's not ready. And to be honest, Kyle Boller is playing fairly well.

Charlie ( Charlotte): Do you think Fox and Hurney will have their jobs next season?? Even after a win last week, people here are still criticizing Fox for "too little too late" Seems to me he would be snatched up pretty quick if he is let go. What do you think of Fox as a HC?

Chris Mortensen: John Fox is a good head coach. I think they need to take a hard look at their decision making process and adjust accordingly.

Jay (CT): Who will go after Tim Tebow in the draft? Any surprise teams looking at him?

Chris Mortensen: Tebow has two years left after this and I don't see him as a guy who would leave college early. He's a heck of a football player who has a lot of improvement to go in terms of throwing the football (ignore the stats....same system that Urban Meyer coached in Utah, which led to Alex Smith getting drafted No. 1). Most NFL folks I speak with believes he has a lot of improvement to make as a passer but he also has the time to show 'em he will get better in that dept.

Robert (Florida): If Jeff Garcia and the Buccaneers Defense plays at their best do you think the Bucs can upset the Cowboys or Packers in the playoffs?

Chris Mortensen: If Garcia is healthy in the playoffs, I think anybody who plays them cannot assume they will beat the Bucs. Jon Gruden is one of the best game-planners in the NFL and def. coordinator Monte Kiffin is proving again he's as good as it gets.

Danny: What do you think of Erik Ainge? He had a couple of costly ints against LSU but has played very well without quality receivers.

Chris Mortensen: It's a solid, deep QB draft and Ainge is a good prospect. He has a chance to get taken in the first three rounds.

Greg: (Hernando,MS): I've always liked Randy Moss over T.O. but, the more I watch T.O. the more I think he's much better, with one real weakness great hands, what do you think?

Chris Mortensen: Well, I might agree with you. But Moss' hand and feet skills are so good it's hard to ignore. But Owens really has made a tremendous impression on me this season and gets better every week.

Jim (Boston): Mort for 50 minutes the Colts were by far the better team in their game vs. the Patriots. and that was with an injury depleted team. If they get their guys back I think they will beat the Patriots. WHat about you??

Chris Mortensen: Maybe. You're right but the Colts may still have some key injuries when they play again.

John: Another question about Tebow! Do you think he will be an established player in the NFL? In my opinion he could be sort of a Michael Vick, before this year.

Chris Mortensen: No way. Vick's speed made him unqiue. Tebow would end up on injured reserve trying to play that style of football in the NFL.

Glenn (NJ): Mort do you not like me because im from NJ...haha answer one question such as... Mort, what do you think of Kyle Turley's idea to donate a game check to retired players. Why wouldnt any current player not jump onto that? has there been any other player that has joined Turley??

Chris Mortensen: I think that's an individual thing and I admire Kyle for it. But each player is giving up about $78,000 annually in benefits to veteran players. But I'm all for anybody - that includes me, and it includes you - who wants to make donations to players we enjoyed watching who are struggling now.

Jay (CT): Will they give your son the ball down at Arkansas.

Chris Mortensen: When he's eligible to play next year, he will be ready if they do!!!

I have to run now but thanks for the time. Catch us on ESPN Radio Primetime 7 to 9 pm ET (Parcells, Keyshawn) and Sunday Countdown at 11 ET. God Bless!

Archived