Congrats to Great guy and coach,,Giants David Merritt

SouthernJet

Jets should never have let him go...

he is a great guy and knows his stuff...

we should have listened to him when he was here...

N.C. native parties with his Giants

79-reg-1857766-1195097.embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg Merritt coaches safeties.

Tim Stevens, Staff Writer

New York Giants safeties coach David Merritt, a former Millbrook High and N.C. State football standout, attended a post-Super Bowl party on Sunday night, his first as an NFL champion.

"It was wonderful," Merritt said. "There were thousands of people there -- all the players, their wives, children, friends, just everybody.

"We stayed until about 2:30 a.m."

Reality came quickly for the champs, who upset the New England Patriots 17-14 in Glendale, Ariz., on Sunday.

All the bags had to be in the lobby by 9 a.m. Monday for an 11 a.m. flight back to New Jersey.

A parade is planned for today in New York, and arrangements are being made for a trip to the White House.

"Here I am, a guy from Raleigh, going to meet the president in the White House," Merritt said. "What do I know about the White House?"

Merritt was proud of his safeties, James Butler from Georgia Tech and Gibril Wilson from Tennessee.

"Gibril was in constant motion," Merritt said. "I've never seen him as active. He was a mad man.

"He was trying to disguise everything we ran, because every quarterback in the NFL reads the safety. "If we can make the quarterback read the safety again after the ball is snapped, it helps all of the defense. It really gives our defensive line a better shot at a sack."

Archived