Limites Jets News 5/21/08

Kentucky Jet

Big Battle Brewing in Camp

Posted by Bob Bullock May 20, 2008 9:56PM

Categories: News

In just a couple of short months the Jets will be hitting the field at training camp with a major battle ready to be waged. It's the type of war that makes even preseason games fun to watch. Two players giving it their all for the right to be a starter in the NFL in 2008.

I'm not referring to the battle between Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens for the starting quarterback job. No, everyone will be writing about that and analyzing every throw between those two guys. I'll be focused on the huge battle between Ben Graham and Jeremy Kapinos to see who will be the top punter for Gang Green this season.

Graham is the savvy vet, who struggled at times last season. Kapinos is the hot rookie who made a surprising start last November and is ready to take the whole deal this time.

When Kapinos was cut last year by the team before being resigned later, he actually had to work at a golf course. Wow, you know he wants no part of that again this fall. That's why he'll bring everything he has to beat out Graham.

Graham, on the other hand, better hope he left that bad case of the shanks he had last season back home in Australia. If he brings them with him again this year, he may be cooking more shrimp on the barbie and kicking a lot less footballs.

"We're going to look at both these guys and give them both an opportunity to state their case," Jets coach Eric Mangini said.

It certainly looks like a wide-open race heading into camp. It will be quite interesting to watch, that is for sure. Quarterback, Smoreterback, we're talking some kick-ass punting here!

Hey, don't forget about the major duel for the long snapper job too. It looks like James Dearth will have his hands full when battling Nick Jarvis, the rookie from Wake Forest.

Steve Serby from the Post doesn't think the kid has a chance, but I say you never know. Jarvis has all the tools to be one of the top long snappers for the next 10 years. Dearth can't afford to take this guy lightly.

I can hardly wait for July to get the competition started. I mean punter, long snapper, even the quarterback battle will be entertaining on some level. Just so many interesting stories to follow once training camp opens. Let's get those two-a-days started already.

Print This Page | Send To A Friend | Permalink (Learn More)

Archived