Yankees: Albaladejo out for rest of year

Lil Bit Special

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/06/12/2008-06-12_albaladejo_out_for_rest_of_year.html

The Yankees disclosed Thursday that injured reliever Jonathan Albaladejo has a stress fracture in his right elbow. "He won't pitch the rest of the year," Joe Girardi said. Albaladejo went on the DL May 10 with a sprained right elbow.

Also, an X-ray on Phil Hughes' fractured rib yesterday revealed that the pitcher is "healing nicely," according to a Yankees spokesman. But Hughes won't begin a throwing program for another two weeks, meaning his return to the Yankees probably won't happen until mid-to-late August.

"I was frustrated not only with the injury but with how my season had turned out so far," Hughes, who was 0-4 with a 9.00ERA before he went on the DL April 30, said in a telephone interview from Tampa on Wednesday. "I've had time to clear my head down here and not think about all that negative stuff."

RUN IT OUT! The Yankees have told Melky Cabrera to stop sliding headfirst on close plays at first base, Girardi said. Girardi called it an "overhustling play." Asked why Cabrera continues to do it even though he's been told not to, Girardi said, "It becomes an instinct."

TRY 95: Joba Chamberlain will be on a pitch count of 95 on Friday night and Girardi said he will be basically caught up to the other starters. ... Yankee draftee Jeremy Bleich, a lefty starter who was the 44th pick, will pitch the College World Series opener for Stanford against Florida State on Saturday.

Archived