Jet news 12-5 an all pot read

flgreen

Shaun Ellis busted for pot, will play

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, December 5th 2008, 2:08 AM

Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis, a team captain, was arrested for possession of marijuana during a traffic stop last Saturday morning near the team's training facility in Florham Park, N.J., the club confirmed Thursday.

Ellis, 31, played the following day against the Broncos, and will be allowed to play Sunday in San Francisco, according to a team spokesman.

"I apologize to my family, the fans and the organization," Ellis said in a statement released through the team. "As a captain, I set a poor example for my teammates as well as all NFL players. Although this is a pending legal matter, I understand that I have to be responsible for my actions."

Ellis' case will be reviewed under the NFL's substance-abuse policy, a league spokesman said. He could be suspended by the commissioner, according to the policy. Any player convicted of, or admitting to a violation of the law, including possession of a substance other than alcohol, is subject to discipline.

But according to an NFL source, it would take several months for any discipline to be handed down, meaning it won't affect Ellis' ability to finish this season. The Jets declined to say whether they would discipline him.

Ellis also was charged with driving without insurance and speeding after he was stopped by a Hanover Township police officer at 8:37 a.m. Ellis was stopped after allegedly speeding past a police car on Route 287 South. He was "uncooperative" and refused to hand over his paperwork, according to a police statement.

Ellis was charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. He also was issued summonses for driving without insurance, speeding, failure to keep right and failure to produce a valid registration card.

According to the Jets, Ellis has spoken to coach Eric Mangini and GM Mike Tannenbaum about the incident.

"He is disappointed with himself and has apologized for his actions," Tannenbaum said in a statement. "The legal process will run its course and the league will handle this matter."

Kris Jenkins cross at self for Denver loss at Meadowlands

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, December 5th 2008, 2:10 AM

Everything about Kris Jenkins is big. He plays big. He laughs big. It turns out that he hurts big, too.

The 6-4, 360-pound nose tackle was so disturbed by Sunday's 17-point loss to the Broncos that he needed a cooling off period of a few days. Jenkins was embarrassed by his performance - he called it one of his worst games - and it left him at a loss for words. So he consciously avoided the media until Thursday. Then he let 'er rip, most of his angst directed at himself.

"I just decided that I was going to take a couple of days off to unwind," Jenkins said. "Sometimes you need a second to put things into perspective. We got our bubble burst. ... I had to think long and hard about the situation because I didn't know what to say, to answer the questions that have been asked. Honestly, I just kind of thought about it from the perspective of a fan. Would I want to hear the response? Probably not."

Jenkins, widely regarded as a candidate for NFL Defensive Player of the Year, admittedly was handled by Broncos center Casey Wiegmann, whom Jenkins outweighs by 75 pounds. Jenkins finished with two quiet tackles, as the Jets allowed unheralded rookie Peyton Hillis to rush for a career-high 119 yards.

The linchpin of the Jets' run defense took it personally. It left him in an ornery mood, which may not bode well for the 49ers (4-8), who will have to deal with Jenkins on Sunday in San Francisco.

"As far as I'm concerned, I can take full blame for the fact that I didn't get it done," he said. "I could've done better shedding (blocks). ... We didn't get the tackling done and I take it upon myself because the responsibility on me is big. If I'm doing good, then it's good. If I'm doing bad, then it shows. It's one of those things that I have to take like a man, suck it up and now it's San Francisco week."

Perhaps Jenkins learned a lesson from last season in Carolina. Immediately after a September loss to the Buccaneers, he stood at his locker and delivered a rant that reverberated for several days. He said the Panthers played like garbage, showing no heart and no passion.

It was a polarizing outburst. Jenkins was praised by some for showing that he cared so deeply, but he also was criticized for questioning his teammates' effort.

This time, Jenkins let his emotions simmer. Aside from one TV interview before leaving the stadium, he held his tongue until Thursday.

"I hate feeling like this, I hate having to speak on a bad performance," he said. "I just don't like it. I don't feel comfortable with it, but it's part of it. You use it. You use wins to motivate you. You use losses to motivate you."

Jenkins' mood reflected a greater sense or urgency around the team. Several players said the 34-17 loss to Denver was a piercing wake-up call for a team that had won five straight and was feeling good about itself, perhaps too good. Now the margin for error is smaller.

The big fella vowed to be ready to redeem himself against the 49ers.

"I can assure you one thing," Jenkins said. "My feet are back on planet Earth."

Now he'll try to rock the Niners' world.

Jets Say Ellis Will Play Despite Marijuana Charge

By GREG BISHOP

Published: December 4, 2008

Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis was charged last weekend in New Jersey with marijuana possession, speeding and driving without insurance. Ellis, the team

COPS BUSTED JET CAPT. ON N.J. HIGHWAY

Comments: 8Read Comments Leave a Comment By BRIAN COSTELLO

Click for photo gallery NABBED: Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis expects to play Sunday against the 49ers after he was arrested last weekend in New Jersey. He was charged with possession of marijuana, driving without insurance and speeding.

Last updated: 5:49 am

December 5, 2008

Posted: 1:50 am

December 5, 2008

It turns out the Jets have some legal trouble of their own.

Defensive end Shaun Ellis has been charged with possession of marijuana, driving without insurance and speeding after getting pulled over last weekend in New Jersey.

Ellis was stopped in Hanover Township, not far from the team's new headquarters in Florham Park. Police pulled Ellis over at 8:37 a.m. Saturday after he allegedly pulled up behind a police car at high speed on Interstate 287 South, then passed the police car and exited onto Route 24, the Daily Record reported.

PHOTOS: Shaun Ellis

PHOTOS: Catching Up

MORE: Pennington 'Dad' To Dolphins

Capt. Shawn Waldron told the newspaper that Ellis was "uncooperative" and refused to give over the requested paperwork.

Ellis was arrested after the police found marijuana during the traffic stop.

Ultimately he was charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia and issued summonses for driving without insurance, speeding, failure to keep right and failure to produce a valid registration card.

The 31-year-old is the longest-tenured Jet and one of the team's captains. He was drafted in the first round of the 2000 draft by the Jets and made the Pro Bowl in 2003.

A team spokesman said Ellis will play Sunday against the 49ers.

"I apologize to my family, the fans and the organization," Ellis said in a statement released by the Jets. "As a captain, I set a poor and selfish example for my teammates as well as all NFL players. Although this is a pending legal matter, I understand that I have to be responsible for my actions."

The behavior of players has been in the spotlight this week after Giants receiver Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg last week.

The talk around the Jets has been of how calm it has been around their team and how they have not had to deal with distractions. This pales in comparison to the Burress incident, but it brings some negative headlines to the Jets.

The team would not say whether there would be any disciplinary measures taken against Ellis.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum said in a statement that he and coach Eric Mangini had spoken to Ellis.

"He is disappointed with himself and has apologized for his actions," Tannenbaum's statement said. "Personal conduct is important and an area that we stress to the entire organization.

"Shaun has been a leader on this team and I am confident that he will handle this in the appropriate fashion. The legal process will run its course and the League will handle this matter."

Ellis played against the Broncos on Sunday, 32 hours after the arrest. He recorded two tackles and was part of a Jets defense that got run over by Denver in a 34-17 loss. Ellis leads the team with seven sacks this season.

When the Jets traded Chad Pennington this summer, Ellis became the longest-tenured Jet. Only Marty Lyons, Joe Klecko and Mark Gastineau have played more games along the defensive line in team history. He is fourth on the team's all-time sack list with 60.5.

brian.costello@nypost.com

JENKINS VOWS TO BOUNCE BACK

Comments: 1Read Comments Leave a Comment By BRIAN COSTELLO

December 5, 2008

December 5, 2008

It's hard for a 360-pound man to go into hiding but that's what nose tackle Kris Jenkins did this week. After a disappointing performance against the Broncos, Jenkins did not talk to reporters until yesterday.

"I just decided I was going to take a couple of days off from [the media] to kind of unwind," Jenkins said. "Sometimes you need a second to just put things back in perspective.

"We got our bubble burst."

Jenkins has been a force for the Jets since coming over in a trade from Carolina in the offseason. Last Sunday, though, the Broncos neutralized him, holding him to two tackles and gaining 127 rushing yards.

"I can take full blame for the fact that I didn't get it done," Jenkins said. "I could have done better shedding [blockers]. I was in place a lot of times but just didn't shed, we didn't get the tackling done, things like that. I take that upon myself.

"The responsibility on me is big and I've always known that both ways. If I'm doing good, then it's good. If I'm doing bad, then it shows. It's one of those things. I've got to take it like a man, suck it up and now it's San Francisco week."

Jenkins said it's between the Denver game and the loss in Oakland as his worst game of the year.

"I didn't do the best that I could," he said. "If I would have did better, would it have changed some of the outcome?

"I mean, who knows? It's not for me to say. I just know when I looked at the film afterwards there were some things I could have done better."

It's looking more and more like LB David Harris will be back on the field this week.

Harris has been inactive for the last five games after injuring his groin. He's practiced the last two weeks, though, and coach Eric Mangini said he's "pretty optimistic" Harris will play in San Francisco.

Mangini said rookie CB Dwight Lowery intercepted three passes in practice Wednesday, three days after recording the first interception of his career.

Jets' Ellis charged with marijuana possessionBY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

December 5, 2008

Another local pro football player has found himself on the police blotter.

Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis was charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, speeding, failure to keep right, driving without insurance and failure to produce a valid registration card after being stopped Saturday morning, according to the Morristown Daily Record, which published the story last night.

Ellis was stopped in Hanover Township, N.J., a short distance from the Jets' practice facility in Florham Park, at 8:37 a.m. after speeding past a police car on Route 287 South, the story said.

In the police report cited by the Daily Record, Ellis was "uncooperative" when asked to show his paperwork. Ellis, a defensive captain in his ninth season - he is the longest-tenured Jet - was arrested and brought to the police station after officers found him in possession of marijuana, the Daily Record said.

Ellis has not been disciplined by the team and is expected to play Sunday against the 49ers, which is not unusual. Giants right tackle Kareem McKenzie played against the Ravens Nov. 16, several days after being arrested on a DWI charge.

Ellis, in a statement provided by the team last night, did not deny the charges. "I apologize to my family, the fans and the organization," Ellis said. "As a captain, I set a poor and selfish example for my teammates as well as all NFL players. Although this is a pending legal matter, I understand that I have to be responsible for my actions."

GM Mike Tannenbaum also released a statement through the team, speaking for himself and coach Eric Mangini. "Eric and I have spoken with Shaun," Tannenbaum said. "He is disappointed with himself and has apologized for his actions. Personal conduct is important and an area that we stress to the entire organization. Shaun has been a leader on this team and I am confident that he will handle this in the appropriate fashion. The legal process will run its course and the league will handle this matter."

The NFL will review the case under its substance-abuse policy before taking any action. This is believed to be Ellis' first offense, which means he won't be suspended by the league but will be enrolled in the league's substance-abuse program.

JENKINS VOWS TO BOUNCE BACK

Comments: 1Read Comments Leave a Comment By BRIAN COSTELLO

December 5, 2008

December 5, 2008

It's hard for a 360-pound man to go into hiding but that's what nose tackle Kris Jenkins did this week. After a disappointing performance against the Broncos, Jenkins did not talk to reporters until yesterday.

"I just decided I was going to take a couple of days off from [the media] to kind of unwind," Jenkins said. "Sometimes you need a second to just put things back in perspective.

"We got our bubble burst."

Jenkins has been a force for the Jets since coming over in a trade from Carolina in the offseason. Last Sunday, though, the Broncos neutralized him, holding him to two tackles and gaining 127 rushing yards.

"I can take full blame for the fact that I didn't get it done," Jenkins said. "I could have done better shedding [blockers]. I was in place a lot of times but just didn't shed, we didn't get the tackling done, things like that. I take that upon myself.

"The responsibility on me is big and I've always known that both ways. If I'm doing good, then it's good. If I'm doing bad, then it shows. It's one of those things. I've got to take it like a man, suck it up and now it's San Francisco week."

Jenkins said it's between the Denver game and the loss in Oakland as his worst game of the year.

"I didn't do the best that I could," he said. "If I would have did better, would it have changed some of the outcome?

"I mean, who knows? It's not for me to say. I just know when I looked at the film afterwards there were some things I could have done better."

It's looking more and more like LB David Harris will be back on the field this week.

Harris has been inactive for the last five games after injuring his groin. He's practiced the last two weeks, though, and coach Eric Mangini said he's "pretty optimistic" Harris will play in San Francisco.

Mangini said rookie CB Dwight Lowery intercepted three passes in practice Wednesday, three days after recording the first interception of his career.

Archived