Sanchez's knee OK in first practice since surgery-NY Post

Kentucky Jet

Sanchez's knee OK in first Jets practice since surgery

Jets BlogBy MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 2:16 PM, May 18, 2010

Posted: 1:44 AM, May 18, 2010

Comments: 1

| More Print

There was a welcome sight on the practice field yesterday as the Jets began the first of their series of organized team activity (OTA) practices: Mark Sanchez throwing footballs.

Sanchez, recovering from February surgery to stabilize the patella ligament in his left knee, didn't participate in any full team activities, such as 11-on-11 drills, but he did work on a limited basis. He threw some passes in 7-on-7 drills and participated in individual drills, such as pat-and-go drills with a center.

"You could tell Mark was champing at the bit to get out there," Jets right tackle Damien Woody told The Post yesterday. "It was good to see. Mark is the type of guy who wants to be at full speed, but it's all a process. You can tell he's definitely ready to be out there at full speed, ready to start playing with all those toys [Jets management] got him."

New York Jets on Twitter

SIX SHOOTER: Mark Sanchez, wearing a brace on his surgically repaired left knee, throws a pass during the Jets' organized team activity yesterday.

Woody called it "fun" to get back onto the field after spending the better part of the last two months working out in the weight room.

"For all the time we've spent acquiring this player and that player this offseason, we finally got to see everyone on the field," Woody said. "Everyone was excited to finally be on the field and start the process, see what everything looks like. Today was exciting. You definitely could see the upgrades we made. Now it's a matter of meshing together."

Among the new Jets practicing with the team for the first time were running back LaDainian Tomlinson, cornerback Antonio Cromartie and receiver Santonio Holmes.

Jason Taylor, who was tending to a previously scheduled charity event for his foundation, was excused for the day and is expected to participate today.

Nose tackle Kris Jenkins, recovering from knee surgery, didn't participate at all in yesterday's OTA.

Sanchez's progress has gone from running in water to running on a treadmill to recently starting to run on grass. He said last week his goal is to be ready to participate fully in the team's three-day, full-squad minicamp from June 14-16.

"I've been optimistic about it and I think we all feel the same way," Sanchez said last week. "I just want to come and participate and get a taste of it before camp starts -- one, for myself and then two, for the rest of the guys on the team, just to let them know I'm good."

In the meantime, backup quarterback Kellen Clemens handled the bulk of first-team snaps in team drills yesterday and will continue to do so until Sanchez is deemed by the training staff to be 100 percent.

Sanchez compared not participating fully with the frustration he felt when he missed the Tampa Bay game last season after hurting his knee, saying, "That's a part of being injured, coming back, rehabbing and doing it the right way. We might feel good for one day, but we want to feel good for the long term."

Archived