Jets players begin reporting to training camp

F.Chowds

The first Jets began to roll in just before 10 a.m. today at the team's practice facility in Florham Park.

Ropati Pitoitua and Vladimir Ducasse reached the gates around 9:54 but were asked to pull over until exactly 10, when the NFL stipulated that team offices were officially opened to players.

Jets owner Woody Johnson, who stopped briefly to talk to reporters, said the Jets are prepared for the breakneck free agency period ahead.

"It's going to be very chaotic that's for sure," Johnson said. "Chaotic might not be the right word -- active. From the free agents to the UFAs and so on, we worked on late last night getting. I think we got some good players last night... It's going to be a condensed period of time that we're going to get all this done.

"It's almost monotonous,'' he continued, "You go over the same lists and you go over the same scenarios again and again in reverse, and you make sure everybody's e-mails and all addresses and pone numbers are correct and we make sure we know where everybody is to the extent that we're allowed to and all that kind of stuff. But you're right, it's frustrating."

Some players celebrated, like defensive back Dwight Lowery, who rolled down the windows of his black-on-black truck and started dancing for the cameras to the blaring music coming from his stereo. Quarterback Mark Sanchez beeped and waved to a group of grounds crew workers along the side of the road.

Others rolled in a little more discreetly.

"I know we missed some OTAs and minicamps, but for the most part we have guys returning, coming back that know the offense and not very many rookies coming in on offense," Dustin Keller said. "I think we're going to be a step ahead of a lot of people."

For Johnson, he knows the hardest work may sit on the shoulders of the team's front office, given players like their two high-profile wide receivers -- Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes -- the pressure to re-sign them or recoup a similar talent will be a tough one.

"We love them both," he said. "We're going to have good wide receivers, we can promise you that."

Archived