Hunter Now Starting after Strong Post Season

flgreen

9-year vet now starting after strong postseason

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:28 AM, August 11, 2011

Posted: 1:00 AM, August 11, 2011

More Print

Wayne Hunter thought his NFL career was over.

The Seahawks released him in May 2006 after three unproductive years and two run-ins with the law. At 24, he wondered what was next.

“I thought I blew my chances in the NFL,” Hunter said.

But five years later, Hunter finally is a starter in the NFL. The Jets have plugged Hunter in at right tackle, replacing the retired Damien Woody.

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

In a league where players get labeled busts if they don’t become starters as rookies, Hunter is proof that sometimes it takes a while to figure out the pro game.

“If you put it in those terms, I’ve been a bust for a long time,” Hunter said. “I’m a late-bloomer. Some people develop and adjust to the NFL quickly. Me? It took me a bunch of years to do it. The road has been long, but I’ve been patient with it. God, my faith and my wife kept me strong, and finally the opportunity came.”

The Jets signed Hunter to a four-year, $12 million deal last month, giving him the starting role in the process. The Jets believe Hunter is ready after watching him for the past three seasons as a backup with the team. He has played tight end for them in their “jumbo” formation, when they have three tackles on the field.

Hunter, 30, also played valuable time with the Jets last year when Woody was injured. He started the final three games of the regular season and the final two playoff games. Jets offensive line coach Bill Callahan said he saw a difference in Hunter when the team faced the Steelers’ fierce defense at the end of the regular season.

“You’re talking about the greatest players in the game, and he’s matching up and doing well,” Callahan said. “You could see his confidence growing.”

It was a far cry from where Hunter was earlier in his career. A 2003 third-round draft pick by the Seahawks out of Hawaii, Hunter said it was clear he was a “best player available” pick. Seattle was stacked on the offensive line, and playing time was scarce.

Hunter played in two games over three years for the Seahawks.

“The first few years I questioned myself consistently,” Hunter said. “I was wondering if I was good enough, not even to be a starter, but just to even be in the league.”

Hunter was suspended twice for violating the NFL conduct policy, both suspensions prompted by separate assault charges leveled by his girlfriend. The Seahawks dumped him in 2006 three days after he was cited for misdemeanor assault and malicious mischief stemming from an incident in a sports bar involving his brother.

Jacksonville signed Hunter, but he spent most of 2006 on the practice squad.

“I was in the tank mentally, spiritually, physically,” Hunter said. “My self-esteem was low so I had a bad training camp.”

He tore his ACL that December and did not play in 2007. Hunter figured his NFL dream was over and began thinking about getting a 9-to-5 job. The Jets called in December of that year and invited him to come to Long Island and work out for them. Hunter had not trained in two months, but impressed coach Eric Mangini enough that they signed him.

After three years as a backup, Hunter is ready to start.

“I’m pumped,” he said. “I’m amped. I’m ready to go. It’s good pressure, actually being a starter in the NFL. It’s finally here. Because of my long road, I don’t take it for granted.”

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/year_vet_now_starting_after_strong_BgaSMlz997Gd6cp7eOoY9N#ixzz1UizfzFZ1

I didn't know about the conduct policy violations. That is disappointing but hopefully that kind of behavior is long behind him now. He really played well last season.

Party hound who found Faith, and a new girl/wife. Guy did play well in the playoffs. Think he'll be fine until Ducasse is ready.

Archived