Ryan puts the onus on offense

Jetsfan80

How many times have we heard this same old story about our offense? Time to make some plays, boys.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20110815rex_ryan_looks_for_offense_in_opener/srvc=sports&position=recent_bullet

Rex Ryan looks for offense in opener

By J.P. Pelzman / The Record (Hackensack N.J.)

Monday, August 15, 2011 - Added 4 hours ago

HOUSTON — As usual, Rex Ryan has been raving about his defense this pre-season. But there is a flip side to that praise, as the defense’s success has come at the expense of an offense that has been sputtering in practice for the most part.

The New York Jets [team stats]’ offense will have its first chance to go against another team’s defense this summer when the Jets open their preseason schedule by visiting Houston. Granted, the offense still is without wide receiver Plaxico Burress (ankle), but Ryan certainly is looking for something better from his offense Monday night.

He was particularly miffed after a shoddy performance by the offense in Friday’s full afternoon practice.

"Look, you’re going against a great defense, there’s no question," Ryan said Saturday, "but look at the weapons we have. Look at the talent we have on that side of the ball. You may argue that there’s more talent on offense then there is on defense or on special teams, so we need to pick it up. ... You just can’t have those kind of days, and that was the challenge I talked about to our offense."

Quarterback Mark Sanchez believes familiarity on both sides may be part of the problem.

"You see your own players so many times and see their looks so many times," the third-year pro said, "that you start to over-think things. You start to try to figure out ways to make your plays better when you’re just trying to force stuff, and that’s natural in camp. Now things will be much more clear. Just having a different color facemask to look at is nice. It’ll be good. It should clear some things up and it should tell us a lot about our team, especially our young guys."

Sanchez and the other starters will play about one quarter, Ryan indicated. During that time, they will going against a revamped Houston defense. The Texans were woeful on that side of the ball that year, epitomized by the game-winning touchdown drive orchestrated by Sanchez in the final minute last November. New faces include free-agent cornerback Johnathan Joseph, formerly of Cincinnati, and first-round pick J.J. Watt, a defensive end from Wisconsin.

Of course, in a preseason game without the specific game-planning of a meaningful contest, the Jets are more worried about what they are doing.

"I think this team has the potential to surpass what we did last year, but it starts with this first game," Sanchez said. "We’ll see how much Rex wants to play us this first game, but I’m just excited."

As is Derrick Mason, even though he’s beginning his 15th year in the NFL.

"I’m looking forward to it," said Mason, signed nine days ago by the Jets after being released by Baltimore. "We’ve been out of this game for a very long time with the lockout and everything, and I think everybody is just anxious to get back on the field. It’s one thing to be on the practice field, but another to be in an actual game."

Mason will start in Burress’ absence.

"I think everybody is anxious to be out there," he said, "but I think I’ll probably have a little more pep in my step since I’m the new guy in the bunch. I’m eager to be out there and see what Sanchez does the first series or how many plays he plays. ... Plax will be back very soon so we’re not going to sit here and panic. We understand we’ve still got three more preseason games."

I think the onus is on both sides of the ball this season. The D looks reasonably solid, especially with the addition of Muhammad Wilkerson and Kenrick Ellis, but they have to produce in the absence of Shaun Ellis. And Shaun Ellis, now with the Pats, knows Rex's defense; that might be a significant factor. Not signing Nnamdi Asomugha on the back end, to pair with Revis, WAS a big blow, whether we want to admit it or not.

On O, Sanchez has to improve consistency-wise, and Plax has to produce in the passing game with Braylon Edwards gone. The loss of Brad Smith, both on ST and with the occasional "trick" play offensively, will be felt.

Archived