Running Out of Bounds on Punt Coverage

#27TheDominator

Nobody read or responded to my running monologue/diatribe during the Pats-Lions game, so I will post the question here.

What is the penalty when a defender runs out of bounds on punt coverage and doesn't run right back onto the field? In the Pats game the guy was charged a 5 yarder. During the Packers-Colts somebody was charged with an unsportsmanlike penalty and 15 yards. Was that just bullsh*t favoring the Pats? Was their some difference, like intentionally running out of bounds vs. being blocked out of bounds and not getting back fast enough? I'm not sure, but when I heard the 15 yard called the other night I thought it was excessive.

I honestly dislike the running out of bounds thing. It's dangerous. We have a field of play for a reason, and there's already a nice clear area right outside the sideline. They should ban that instead of doing crap like moving kickoff spots. Look what happened to that chowder guy last year. He ran right into our coach, who got punished for holding his ground on the sidelines where he's supposed to be.

I honestly dislike the running out of bounds thing. It's dangerous. We have a field of play for a reason, and there's already a nice clear area right outside the sideline. They should ban that instead of doing crap like moving kickoff spots. Look what happened to that chowder guy last year. He ran right into our coach, who got punished for holding his ground on the sidelines where he's supposed to be.

It's pretty easy to block people out of bounds. It's hard to punish a guy for being blocked out of bounds.

It's pretty easy to block people out of bounds. It's hard to punish a guy for being blocked out of bounds.

I agree, but many of them run out of bounds on purpose to dodge people. I know you can't prevent people from getting knocked out, or occasionally running out to avoid contact but running out because you're a pansey and afraid to face the blockers, only to come back in some 70 yards down the field is a bit ridiculous, and defeats the purpose of having a field of play. If you intentionally leave the field of play you should have to come back in within say 15 yards from where you went out, or you can't come back in, period

True. But if you're blocked out of bounds and kept out of bounds there is no penalty on you as a gunner. The penalty is for either intentionally going out of bounds or intentionally staying out of bounds (i.e., making no effort to come back in until you're going for the ball carrier).

True. But if you're blocked out of bounds and kept out of bounds there is no penalty on you as a gunner. The penalty is for either intentionally going out of bounds or intentionally staying out of bounds (i.e., making no effort to come back in until you're going for the ball carrier).

Yes. The post you quoted was not a complaint about the current rules, but a comment to Barcs' proposal. My complaint about the current rules is that the 5 and 15 yarders I saw over the weekend looked very similar.

I agree with the rule in general. There is a field of play, stay on it. If you do end up off it by accident, get back on it, don't run down the side where you could hurt someone who thinks they are safely off the field of play.

We can nitpick over enforcement, but in general the rule is a good one.

I agree with the rule in general. There is a field of play, stay on it. If you do end up off it by accident, get back on it, don't run down the side where you could hurt someone who thinks they are safely off the field of play.

We can nitpick over enforcement, but in general the rule is a good one.

Once again, I'm not disputing the rule. Just the 5 vs. 15.

Archived