Jets News 9-29

flgreen

Jets’ Ground Game Struggles for Footing

By JORGE CASTILLO

Published: September 28, 2011

When Rex Ryan arrived in New York, he made three things clear: he was not going to shy away from the searing spotlight and the Jets were going to have a physical, run-first offense and an aggressive defense.

Enlarge This Image

Ben Margot/Associated Press

The Jets are ranked 10th in passing yardage and Mark Sanchez, right, has had two of his four career 300-yard games

The Fifth Down

The strategy propelled the Jets to consecutive A.F.C. championship games, but this season Ryan acknowledged that the Jets would throw more often. At the same time, they did not plan to abandon their run-first mentality, which produced one of the N.F.L.’s top rushing attacks in each of the last two seasons.

He declared the third-year running back Shonn Greene the starter, anointing him the team’s “bell cow,” and relegated LaDainian Tomlinson to a third-down, predominately pass-catching role.

But so far the “ground-and-pound” attack has been replaced by something that resembles a run-and-shoot.

The Jets (2-1) are tied for 20th in the N.F.L. in rushing attempts (24.3 per game) and 25th in yards (82 per game.) They average 3.4 yards a carry, good for 22nd. Greene has been especially ineffective, averaging only 3.3 yards on 41 carries.

The outputs are unexpected after the Jets averaged 148.4 yards rushing (fourth in the N.F.L.), 4.4 per carry (tied for eighth), and 33.4 carries (second) last season.

On the flip side, the Jets are ranked 10th in passing yardage and Mark Sanchez has had two of his four career 300-yard games, including a career-high 369 passing yards in Sunday’s 34-24 loss against Oakland.

Ryan says there are two reasons for the temporary decline in the ground game: the defense has struggled, forcing the Jets to play from behind, and, simply, it is early in the season.

“That has a lot do with the fact that we’ve been behind in two of those contests,” Ryan said. “Would I like the number to be a little more even? Of course. I think everybody would like to have a more balanced attack, but we’ve been effective throwing the football.”

According to Footballoutsiders.com, the Jets are balanced on first-and-1o, running and passing 37 times each. Last season, they ran the ball 63 percent of the time on first down, first in the N.F.L., and 47 percent over all, second in the league.

In Week 1 against Dallas, the Jets trailed for most of the game until late in the fourth quarter. As a result, Sanchez threw 44 passes and the Jets rushed only 16 times for 45 yards.

Against Jacksonville in Week 2, the Jets never trailed and had 32 carries on the way to a 32-3 win. But the effort produced only 101 yards rushing — 29 of which came from Sanchez. The running backs — Greene, Tomlinson, and Joe McKnight — combined for 71 yards, 2.5 per carry.

Even with their starting center Nick Mangold out with an ankle injury, the Jets had an effective running game against the Raiders: 25 carries for 100 yards. But after rushing for 65 yards on 14 carries in the first half, they abandoned the run in the second.

Now the Jets are preparing for the vaunted Baltimore Ravens defense, which is sixth in the league, allowing 84 rushing yards per game.

“A lot of people when they go up against the Ravens’ defense, they just say, ‘No, we can’t run,’ ” Greene said. “They don’t even try. But I think we’re going to try.

“They’re a great defense, but you can’t just shy away from it.”

Jets defense aims not to give up 'the edge' against Ray Rice

By Jenny Vrentas, The Star-Ledger

9:09 p.m. EDT, September 28, 2011

Before Rex Ryan had a chance to say anything to his players in the visitors’ locker room of O.co Coliseum, nose tackle Sione Pouha said the defense was already “sulking.” But after yielding 234 rushing yards in the 34-24 loss to the Oakland Raiders, the Jets’ most critical task is turning last Sunday’s disappointment into this Sunday’s improvement.

“You make sure it’s a cleansing type of sting,” Pouha said. “It’s a productive cleansing. You learn from it, and you move on.”

The Jets don’t have any choice with the Baltimore Ravens, and dynamic running back Ray Rice, on the calendar in three days.

Get the Baltimore Football app for iPhone and Android

The Rutgers product is built differently than Darren McFadden, standing just 5-8. But like the Raiders back, who put up 171 rushing yards against the Jets, Rice packs speed and burst and is dangerous outside and catching passes out of the backfield.

Those outside runs in particular burned the Jets last weekend, as they failed in the cardinal rule of their game plan: Don’t give up the edge.

For the rest of this story, visit:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/09/jets_defense_prepares_to_face.html

NY Jets relying more on Mark Sanchez's arm and the passing game as defenses slow the rushing attack

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, September 29th 2011, 4:00 AM

Strip away all the "ground-and-pound" talk and here's the truth about the 2011 version of the Jets' offense: The combination of Mark Sanchez's natural evolution and the offensive line's early-season struggles in run blocking has turned Rex Ryan's team into a pass-first group.

Gang Green has morphed from a run-centric offense bent on mauling opponents to airing it out with its third-year quarterback.

Sometimes the numbers lie, but the statistics through the first three games are more fact than fiction in this case. The Jets have thrown the ball on 62% of their offensive snaps, a sharp increase from the 50-50 run-to-pass split from last season. In Sanchez's rookie season of 2009, Ryan leaned even more on the ground-and-pound with a 61-39 run-to-pass breakdown.

Translation: The offensive identity has changed.

"Mark Sanchez is throwing the ball way more than those running backs are touching it," said Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, who will see the new-look Jets up close this Sunday night. "Even when those running backs are touching it, they're touching it more from the backfield - out of pass sets and different screens. It's definitely a changeup from what you saw the last couple years, which was run, run, run, run, run."

Sanchez, coming off a career-high 369 passing yards last week, has thrown for at least 300 yards in two of the first three games. He had topped the 300-yard plateau only twice in his first 37 games as a pro entering this season.

"We feel like with his maturity and the way he's progressed over the last three years, that this year we can afford to throw it more," said left guard Matt Slauson.

Sanchez, who has averaged 37 pass attempts through the first weeks, is on pace to increase his attempts by 18% from last season.

"We said we were going to throw the ball more this year," Ryan said about the pass-heavy start. "Would I like the number to be a little more (balanced)? Of course."

Although Sanchez admitted that "we're still trying to find our way" as an offense, he maintained that "we don't want to take all of our playmakers off the field in the pass game."

The Jets rank 25th in run offense (82 yards per game). Shonn Greene has struggled as the team's feature back with 3.3 yards per carry. All-Pro center Nick Mangold's high ankle sprain that has caused him to miss the last seven quarters hasn't helped matters. The offensive line has had difficulty with its inside and outside zone runs, the core of the team's rushing attack the past two seasons.

The Ravens' stout run defense that allows only 84 yards per game will present another challenge.

"Hopefully we'll take off soon," Greene said. "When a lot of people go up against the Ravens' defense, they just say, 'We can't run.' They don't even try it. But I think we're going to try. They have a great defense, but you can't run away from them."

To that end, Ryan promised that "we will not give up on the running game" despite the early-season woes. The Jets, of course, also won't force-feed Greene if there aren't many running lanes. So expect Sanchez, who has completed 62.5% of his passes, to let it fly again. His top priority will be keeping an eye on ball-hawking safety Ed Reed. "I wish I had another set of eyes," Sanchez said.

Ryan is fully aware of the dangers of throwing in the vicinity of the future Hall of Famer.

"Once you throw it, it's a boomerang," Ryan said. "It's coming right back at you. (If) you make a mistake, he'll make you pay almost every single time."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/28/2011-09-28_sanchez_takes_to_the_air.html#ixzz1ZLVpDMfw

Rex Ryan hopes NY Jets center Nick Mangold can return from ankle sprain to play against Ravens

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Rex Ryan expressed hope that center Nick Mangold, rehabilitating from a high right ankle sprain, would be able to play Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens. "We're taking it day to day," said Mangold, who sat out the loss to the Raiders after being injured early in the Week 2 game against Jacksonville.

Mangold returned to the practice field Wednesday, but only stretched with trainers off to the side. Cornerback Antonio Cromartie, recovering from bruised ribs and a bruised lung, did likewise. Neither wore pads. Ryan said Cromartie was ahead of Mangold in terms of playing.

Rookie Colin Baxter stepped in for Mangold last week. The line allowed four sacks. If Cromartie doesn't play, second-year cornerback Kyle Wilson will start.

MAYBIN BACK

LB Aaron Maybin, the former first-round pick of the Buffalo Bills, re-joined the Jets less than a month after being released by the team following training camp. Maybin made the initial 53-man roster, but was cut the next day when the Jets brought in new players. Ryan and the Jets are looking to spark the pass rush. "I know it's a business," Maybin said. "But I also felt comfortable here during camp."

RAVEN MAD

Ryan's disappointment in losing the competition for the head coaching job with the Ravens to John Harbaugh four years ago remains with him. Ryan, who spent 10 years with the Ravens before being hired by the Jets, was given the title of assistant head coach as well as defensive coordinator under Harbaugh.

"Was I bitter about not getting the head coaching job? Yeah, absolutely," Ryan said. "But when it was determined that John Harbaugh was going to be the head coach, I wanted to be the best coach that he's ever had under him, and be the best coach I could be and not worry about the job I didn't have. That's how I approached the job."

CATCHING ON

When the Ravens released wideout Derrick Mason during the offseason the 37-year-old said it "came out of left field." He flew from his home in Nashville to speak with Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome.

"Obviously they didn't need my services any longer," Mason said.

"I think I was at peace with it. Luckily Rex wanted me, and I was more than happy to come here."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/28/2011-09-28_ryan_hoping_nick_returns.html#ixzz1ZLWB3bht

Rex Ryan stands up for his NY Jets as Joe Namath, Jason Taylor pepper Gang with criticism, doubt

Gary Myers

Thursday, September 29th 2011, 4:00 AM

One bad loss to the Raiders and Jets icon Joe Namath went flying off the bandwagon trying to take Rex Ryan down with him. Jason Taylor, who desperately wanted to return to the Jets this season only to find they didn't want him, instead wound up back in a hopeless situation in Miami and is now declaring Chad Henne more talented than Mark Sanchez.

Consider that Henne is one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL and you can see what Taylor thinks of Sanchez, who got him within one touchdown of playing in the first Super Bowl of his 14-year career last season. It doesn't appear Henne is going to get Taylor that close this season.

Ryan fired back at Namath, who is usually off limits because of his status as the greatest Jet of all time, which came from winning a game when he didn't toss a touchdown pass and barely threw for 200 yards. Namath is out of touch with what goes on behind the scenes with the Jets and has no more knowledge of the inner workings of the team than the average fan, but, hey, he's Joe Namath.

Some people actually care what he says about the Jets like they care what Lawrence Taylor has to say about the Giants. Namath and LT get the forum because of who they are and not because of what they know.

It's fascinating that Namath is ripping Ryan for building up the self-esteem of his team and giving them a false sense of security and not respecting the other team when Namath issued the most famous guarantee in the history of sports when he declared that the Jets, 18-point underdogs, would beat the Colts in Super Bowl III.

This might seem to be a case of Joe Willie being somewhat hypocritical.

"I just know that when Rex was here, (he had) a certain confidence that he believes in his players," Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis said Wednesday. "I believe the game still has to be played by the players no matter what the coach says."

The Jets are in the midst of what is by far their most difficult three-game stretch of the season - a rare three-game road trip. Ryan invited Namath to be their backup QB if he can still throw. Sanchez is getting so beat up in September, having Namath as insurance is not a bad idea. He's not that much older than Mark Brunell, and imagine the thrill for Jets fans of seeing No. 12 back in the huddle.

The Jets were humiliated by the Raiders, who pushed them all over the field. Oakland is an improved team, but that was supposed to be the easiest of the three games.

Now the Jets play in Baltimore on Sunday night in Ryan's return. He spent 10 years with the Ravens as an assistant - the last year under John Harbaugh, who was brought in from the Eagles and hired over Ryan when Brian Billick was fired after the 2007 season. Ryan was back in Baltimore in his first preseason game as the Jets coach in 2009 and then lost to the Ravens in the season opener at home last year. That's when the Jets didn't score a touchdown in the first game in their new stadium.

Next week, the Jets travel to New England, where the Patriots will be fired up after the Jets eliminated them from the playoffs in January in Foxborough.

The Jets left home at 2-0. If they come home at 2-3, imagine what Namath will have to say about Ryan then. And by then, Jason Taylor might declare Luke McCown is more talented than Sanchez.

During training camp, Ryan pleaded for help dealing with the Patriots. The Jets beat them twice last year, but Ryan was asking other teams out there to pitch in and beat them.

"I think we have to find somebody out there to beat New England besides us," Ryan said in August. "I think that would help. Anybody out there that wants to sign up for it - are you good enough as a team to beat the New England Patriots? I am challenging the league."

He received unexpected help last weekend from the Bills, who had lost 15 consecutive games to New England. But then knowing the result, the Jets took the field in Oakland and lost to a team that hasn't finished better than .500 since making it to the Super Bowl in 2002.

Ryan can't take a gift from the Bills and then three hours later see it get swallowed up in the Black Hole. Instead of the Jets jumping out ahead of the Patriots by one game in the AFC East, the two of them now are one game back of the undefeated Bills.

Reminded Wednesday of asking others for help, Ryan said, "I know. They did."

Does that make Sunday's loss even more of a wasted opportunity?

"I think so," he said. "When you look at it, it's as great effort on Buffalo's part. Now Buffalo's leading our division. Maybe I need to challenge people to beat Buffalo as well."

Ryan needs to win Sunday night or Namath might next be demanding to call the plays.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/28/2011-09-28_rex_holds_line.html#ixzz1ZLWsXZms

Ravens player wears 'Can't Wait' T-shirt

Jets Blog

By TIM BONTEMPS

Last Updated: 8:36 AM, September 29, 2011

Posted: 2:53 AM, September 29, 2011

More Print

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — There are plenty of bonds that tie the Jets and Ravens organizations together. But those friendships won’t take any of the spice out of Sunday night’s game between the two teams.

Instead, they will only add to it.

“It’s not as friendly as you think,” outside linebacker Terrell Suggs said before yesterday’s practice. “Because, come Sunday night, Rex [Ryan] is going to try to beat us. Bart [scott] is going to try to get after us.

“It’s a little personal, because they were once here. . . . We have a tremendous respect for them and love, but we have a job to do. They are in the way of where we’re trying to get, [and] they see us as being in their way. They are going to do whatever it takes, and so are we, by any means necessary.”

Suggs spent several seasons playing alongside Scott, and under Ryan, as part of the Ravens’ fearsome linebacking corps. Suggs was one of several Ravens who received one of Scott’s “Can’t Wait” T-shirts over the summer. Scott made the shirts to raise money for former Rutgers defensive lineman Eric LeGrand, and said yesterday that they raised $36,000.

Both supporting his old friend and poking fun at him at the same time, Suggs arrived at his press conference yesterday wearing the shirt and with some words for his former teammate.

“We all know what it means,” Suggs said. “I’m personally sending a message to my brother, my former mentor, that I also can’t wait.”

The annual battles between the Ravens and Steelers for the AFC North title over the past several years has elevated the rivalry between the two teams to a height that few others in the sport can claim.

But for the Ravens, seeing so many familiar faces on the opposing sideline, from Ryan and several other members of the coaching staff to Scott, Jim Leonhard and Derrick Mason on the field, doesn’t make it difficult to get excited to face the Jets.

“[it has the] same kind of atmosphere, but it’s different,” running back Ray Rice said. “The Steelers are the Steelers. But these guys were Ravens at one point. . . . It’s like fighting your brother.”

tbontemps@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/suggs_co_can_wait_kGPCLWfGMeQlBKsQYycc5M#ixzz1ZLX7gyHO

Time for Jets to show they have Rex’s back

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 6:54 AM, September 29, 2011

Posted: 2:54 AM, September 29, 2011

More Print

headshotSteve Serby

Their beloved coach goes back to Baltimore to face the franchise he helped win a Super Bowl 11 seasons ago, the coach they love because he always has their back, and there is no better time than Sunday night, with the whole nation watching, for the Jets to have Rex Ryan’s back. Show the nation how prepared his Jets can be for Haloti Ngata, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed on defense, and Joe Flacco, Ray Rice and Anquan Boldin on offense. Show your franchise’s icon that on this occasion, he is Joe Silly Namath.

“I don’t know what else a head coach is supposed to do,” Derrick Mason said yesterday. “I don’t know if he’s supposed to come in there and tell your team, ‘You’re not worth a damn. . . . You can’t play. . . . You might as well not even line up.’ . . . I don’t think that’s the approach you want to take.

REUTERS

READY TO ROLL: Rex Ryan came under fire from Joe Namath, who said he didn’t think the coach had the Jets prepared to face the Raiders. The Jets have to prove that wasn’t the case.

“The head coach is there to make sure that his team is well-prepared physically, but well-prepared mentally. And if that means telling your team, ‘Yeah, you’re a very good team.’ But he’s not just saying it just to be saying it.

“We area very good team.

“But it’s good to know that your coach wholeheartedly believes that. Some coaches say it and don’t believe it. But he says it and believes it, and I don’t think there’s nothing wrong with it.”

Rally ’Round Rex Ryan.

“We stand behind Rex 100 percent, and if somebody’s attacking him, we’re gonna defend him,” Matt Slauson said.

By the way you play.

“Exactly,” Slauson said.

That means finding your identity, and finding it now.

It means making sure Rice doesn’t run roughshod over you the way Darren McFadden did so you aren’t waking up Monday morning as the 31st-ranked rushing defense again.

And more importantly, it means dusting the cobwebs off the Ground & Pound so that Mark Sanchez doesn’t get killed.

It is why Ryan marched into the team meeting yesterday and challenged his offensive line and running backs to help his quarterback. The one with the broken nose.

I asked Shonn Greene: Can you run on the Ravens?

“I believe so,” he said. “Rex put a stat up this morning that showed we were getting 5.5 yards a carry last year. It is possible.”

That was in the 10-9 opening night loss, when Sanchez was shackled in handcuffs. But the Air & Dare is a risky proposition against the likes of the carnivorous Terrell Suggs and the ballhawking Reed. If the Jets lose Sanchez, Namath might as well quarterback the team.

“You don’t want them pinning their ears back just attacking the quarterback ‘cause then they’re gonna have a big mess right there,” Greene said, “So we gotta try to do something to help him out too.”

Greene’s eyes lit up when he saw the 5.5 (110 yards on 21 carries).

“Yeah ‘cause I was surprised myself,” he said. “I know a lot of people say, ‘Well you’re not gonna run against them’, but you gotta at least enforce the running game and try to give yourself a chance.”

Of course, Colix Baxter will likely replace Nick Mangold again. A huge dropoff.

“It’s nice having Nick in there because you don’t really have to think a whole lot, you can just play,” Slauson said. “And I think Colin has done such a great job that now me and [fellow guard] Brandon [Moore] can go out and just play.”

Greene (41 carries, 134 yards, 3.1 ypc, 1 TD ) feels fresh and frisky.

“Whenever they need a certain amount of carries, a lot, or whatever, I’m ready to go,” he said.

The pass-run ratio (62 to 38) is out of whack.

“I’ll tell ya this: We will not give up on the running game,” Ryan said. “I’ll promise you that.”

If you profess love and respect for your coach, you rally around him when his methods come under fire.

“I think all the players have Rex’s back,” Jim Leonhard said. “He’s earned our respect, he’s earned our trust.”

“Rex is a big boy,” Mason said. “I don’t think he needs us to rally around him. . . . But yeah, we have our coach’s back, regardless of what is being said, what he says — we got his back. Because ultimately we gotta go out there and prove him right. That we are a very good team.”

Rally ’Round Rex.

steve.serby@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/time_for_jets_to_show_they_have_gEBpo76GFV3GCzxA4PR1yN#ixzz1ZLXLI7Nv

Jets aren't counting on Mangold, Cromartie to face Ravens

Jets Blog

By HOWIE KUSSOY

Last Updated: 8:26 AM, September 29, 2011

Posted: 2:54 AM, September 29, 2011

More Print

On a team famous for guarantees, the Jets have no assurances Nick Mangold or Antonio Cromartie will be able to play against the Ravens on Sunday.

The starting center and cornerback did not participate in practice yesterday and appeared on the side of the field without pads, stretching and doing agility drills.

“I’m hopeful that both will play, not real sure though,” Rex Ryan said. “I would think that [Cromartie’s] probably ahead of Nick. I think if they practice [today], they’re gonna be very limited.”

Maybe Joe Namath was right. Even though Ryan displayed uncharacteristic doubt, the coach’s confidence seemed to stick with his player.

“Very much [optimistic],” Mangold said of his likelihood of playing after missing his first career game with a high ankle sprain. “The ankle’s feeling better. It’s moving along nicely. Hopefully, we’ll be able to [play]. It seems to be responding well.”

The Pro-Bowl center was without the walking boot he sported last week and labeled himself as day-to-day. He does not know whether he’ll practice today or tomorrow, although Ryan said Mangold did not have to practice in order to play. Rookie Colin Baxter will make his second start if Mangold cannot suit up.

“For [Mangold], being the cornerstone of that offense, I think that’s huge for them losing him,” Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis said in a conference call. “He’s the guy that gets everybody where they’re supposed to be going.”

Baxter, who played well against the Raiders, said Mangold has been invaluable teaching him technique, in both blocking and communication. The rookie would have an enormous challenge if he starts, facing the league’s No. 1 defense and top defensive tackle, Haloti Ngata.

“They are what everyone says they are,” Baxter said, channeling his inner Dennis Green. “They’ve got good players all across the front, but I think we’ve got a good scheme for them.”

Cromartie, who has bruised ribs and a bruised lung, was unavailable to the media. If he is unable to play, second-year cornerback Kyle Wilson will start in his place.

With Darrelle Revis likely matched up with Anquan Boldin, Wilson would draw speedy rookie receiver Torrey Smith, coming off a 152-yard, three-touchdown performance.

howard.kussoy@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/rex_not_counting_on_mangold_cromartie_gY77xZmmWIACD82PyUQYEO#ixzz1ZLXYWGk4

Black eye and all, 'overpaid' Jets QB isn't bothered by critics

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:26 AM, September 29, 2011

Posted: 2:55 AM, September 29, 2011

More Print

Mark Sanchez has been beaten up on the field this season, enduring a broken nose and an injured throwing arm, but it’s not just on the field where he’s taking a beating.

Former teammate Jason Taylor said Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne is more physically talented than Sanchez this week. Last week, Forbes named him the most overpaid player in the NFL.

Add it to a list of criticisms ranging from interceptions to his sideline eating habits.

“You know what? You’re playing quarterback in New York, that kind of stuff happens,” Sanchez said about the critics. “Just like [when] you win the divisional game against the New England Patriots, you can do no wrong. It goes both ways.”

But with Sanchez, the criticism always seems louder than the praise. The 24-year-old still has not convinced the Jets fan base that he’s the franchise quarterback they’ve been waiting for since Joe Namath left.

Forbes jumped on Sanchez with its overpaid list pointing to his $14.75 million salary this season and his “middle-of-the-road” statistics. Sanchez ranks 14th in passer rating (90.1) and 10th in passing yards (886). He has six touchdowns and four interceptions.

“That’s another stat,” Sanchez said of being named the most overpaid player. “I don’t know. It doesn’t matter.”

Taylor called his Dolphins teammate, Henne, more physically talented, something that drew return fire from the Jets.

“I would disagree with him, but I will say this: [Henne’s] looked like Dan Marino against us a couple of games,” Rex Ryan said. “So certainly I think he does have a lot of talent. Is he better than Mark Sanchez? I would keep Mark Sanchez. That would be my guy.”

Ryan and the Jets coaches have shown confidence in Sanchez this season by allowing him to throw the ball more than in his first two seasons. The Jets are throwing so much many people are questioning whether the days of “Ground and Pound” are over. The Jets have thrown 62 percent of the time this season.

“Mark’s maturity and the coaches’ confidence in him allows us to throw it more,” guard Matt Slauson said. “Obviously, as a line we’d rather run it, but Mark has shown extreme maturity and improvement from the last two years. We feel a lot more comfortable putting him in those situations now.”

Against the Raiders on Sunday, Sanchez established a career high with 369 yards. That is the second 300-yard game he’s had this season. But he has shown a habit of poor decisions leading to interceptions. He should have thrown it away on Sunday, instead of floating one into the end zone that Tyvon Branch intercepted.

Sanchez was asked to evaluate his play so far.

“I feel like we’re 2-1,” said Sanchez, who has been sacked nine times this season. “My play is reflective of that as well. There have been some great throws and some great reads and great decisions and then there have been a couple of bonehead decisions that would have made our offense look a lot better and potentially helped us win that game last week. Is there room for improvement? No question. I think there have been some good highlights so far, and we’ll keep working on getting better.”

Tight end Dustin Keller, one of Sanchez’s closest friends, said Sanchez can quiet his critics by continuing to play well.

“Obviously being the quarterback in New York he’s under more of a microscope than anybody else,” Keller said. “Especially with our team, more so than the Giants, because we’ll go out and say that we’re going to win the Super Bowl. We put that pressure on us. With Mark, he’s dealt with that type of thing whether he’s at USC or here and he’s done a really good job dealing with it. He’s going to continue to quiet the doubters.”

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/black_eye_and_all_sanchez_not_bothered_suJUm6An4XpJN4EVMeeQQO#ixzz1ZLYVQcqz

Maybin back with Jets to help pass rush

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:02 AM, September 29, 2011

Posted: 1:54 AM, September 29, 2011

More Print

The Jets re-signed Aaron Maybin yesterday, a sign that the team may be desperate to establish a better pass rush.

Maybin, the 11th overall pick by the Bills in 2009, spent a portion of training camp with the Jets, but was cut loose before the season began. The Jets have seven sacks, but failed to generate much of a pass rush against the Raiders.

When asked what has changed in 3½ weeks since the team cut Maybin, coach Rex Ryan said, "nothing."

Ryan would not say whether Maybin will be active for the team Sunday against the Ravens. Maybin was happy to be back.

"It was difficult and I was frustrated," Maybin said of being cut. "I'd be lying if I said it wasn't frustrating, but I understood the team came first. All I could do was continue to work and be ready when the opportunity presented itself again."

Maybin was considered a top pass rusher coming out of Penn State, but has zero sacks in two NFL seasons.

Ryan said this is not a commentary on Jamaal Westerman's performance. Westerman, whom the team calls its designated pass rusher, does not have a sack. He does have three quarterback hits, however.

"He's been OK," Ryan said. "He hasn't been great, but he's done a decent job."

Guard Matt Slauson remembers getting beat last year by Ravens tackle Haloti Ngata for a sack, and he has payback on his mind.

"Haloti is a beast," Slauson said. "I owe him a little payback for last year because I did well against him all game until that one play where I gave up a sack and he threw me on the ground like a little doll. So I owe him."

Tight end Dustin Keller also took a big hit in that Ravens game last year when linebacker Ray Lewis laid him out toward the end of the game.

"I might owe him one," Keller said. "He got me pretty good. We'll see if we get opportunities out there."

Ryan is returning to Baltimore, where he was an assistant for 10 years. He fired some trash talk the Ravens' way during a conference call with Baltimore reporters.

"I have a ton of friends there and the utmost respect for them and all that, but the fact of the matter is, we all said we were going to meet in the AFC Championship Game," Ryan said. "Now, we haven't won the AFC Championship Game, but we have gotten there two years in a row. The Ravens haven't. You could throw that one right back at them."

Rookie defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson got flagged for roughing the quarterback Sunday, a terrible call. Wilkerson said that won't make him hesitant to hit the quarterback.

"I'm still going to go out there and play physical," Wilkerson said. "Rex didn't really feel that it was a correct call, but they called it."

Besides C Nick Mangold (ankle) and CB Antonio Cromartie (ribs) being out, t

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/maybin_back_with_jets_to_shore_up_Mw60GtfMUj4jVJpsrTlAEK#ixzz1ZLYq13T4

Jets notes: Maybin returns

Thursday, September 29, 2011 Last updated: Thursday September 29, 2011, 7:50 AM

The Record

Maybin returns

After the Jets had only one sack against Oakland, they decided to give former Bills bust Aaron Maybin another chance to bolster their less-than-fearsome pass rush. Maybin was re-signed Wednesday morning and might play Sunday night at Baltimore.

"We just wanted to bring in a guy that we felt pretty good about," coach Rex Ryan said. "He’s somebody that knows our system and can maybe contribute for us."

Maybin, a first-round pick of Buffalo in 2009 who has yet to record an NFL sack, was waived by the Bills on Aug. 15 and signed by the Jets two days later. The Jets waived him Sept. 4.

Of that day, Maybin said, "While it was difficult for me and it was frustrating — I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t frustrating — I still understood that the team came first and that was what they felt was best for them at that point in time. All I could do was continue to work and be ready when the opportunity presented itself again."

Which it did after a game in which the Jets’ only sack occurred when Oakland’s Jason Campbell tripped while dropping back and was touched down by David Harris.

"We kind of liked what we saw" of Maybin in the preseason, Ryan said.

Is Maybin ready for that? "I was ready to play [Tuesday]," Maybin said with a smile.

Mangold, Cromartie sit

C Nick Mangold (high ankle sprain) and CB Antonio Cromartie (bruised lung, bruised ribs) sat out practice Wednesday.

"I’m hopeful that both will play," Ryan said.

"It’s moving along nicely," an optimistic Mangold said of his rehab.

If Mangold doesn’t play, he again would be replaced by rookie Colin Baxter. Ryan said if Cromartie can’t go, second-year pro Kyle Wilson would start in his place.

—J.P. Pelzman

Mixed emotions for Ravens-turned-Jets

Thursday, September 29, 2011

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

FLORHAM PARK – One sentence spoken by Derrick Mason on Wednesday summarized all the connections that bind Sunday night's opponents, the Jets and the host Baltimore Ravens.

Mason, one of three Ravens-turned-Jets who will play Sunday, indicated he hadn't circled the game on his calendar, but admitted, "When I was in Baltimore, I knew we had to play them."

OK, so which team is "them" in that statement? Well, when the schedule was released in April, the Ravens were "we" and the Jets were "them" to Mason. But once the Ravens released him after the end of the lockout in a salary-cap move, the "we'' and "them'' flipped.

Mason, linebacker Bart Scott and safety Jim Leonhard all will make their first regular-season appearances at M&T Bank Stadium since leaving Baltimore, as will Jets coach Rex Ryan, the former defensive coordinator of the Ravens.

"It hasn't even really hit me yet," Ryan said Wednesday.

He referenced the Jets' opening-night loss at home to Baltimore last season and said, "I think the last time, when we opened up the season, I think I was feeling it then. Now, maybe after the [Oakland] defeat, our focus has been on our football team and getting better."

Mason said, "Obviously, it'll be special because I spent so much time down there and the city embraced me, but I have a job to do, and that's to go down there and try to win a football game against a very good Ravens football team."

But will there be more motivation, considering how he exited?

"Obviously they didn't need my services any longer," said Mason, 37, who spent the previous six seasons with the Ravens. "I think I was at peace with it, because I knew deep down in my heart I gave them all that I had. The way I played, no one can question whether I gave 100 percent or not. So when I left that building, I was OK, because I knew leaving that building, I still had a lot of football in me. They had a decision to make, and they made it. Luckily Rex wanted me, and I was more than happy to come here."

"We really had no choice, cap-wise," Baltimore coach John Harbaugh said on a conference call. "As it worked out, a couple of weeks later, we had the opportunity to possibly bring him back [for less money], but he decided to go with the Jets, so that's what happened. … I like Derrick. I'm very, very proud and I felt honored to be associated with him for three years there, and I just count those blessings."

"I still was torn between going back to Baltimore and coming here to the Jets," Mason said. "Because I had been there for so long, and that was family to me. But they made a business decision, and I had to make a business decision, and I had to make a decision that was best for me, career-wise."

Scott wasn't available for comment Wednesday, but Mason joked that Scott and Leonard got emotional during the team meeting Wednesday morning.

"I think Bart started crying today. He got really emotional," Mason said. "I think I saw Jimmy as well, kind of tearing up a little bit."

"I don't have to be a tough guy," Leonhard joked when told of Mason's comments.

The veteran safety, who spent one season with the Ravens in 2008, also indicated it would be special to go back.

"The year I was there," he said, "I realized it's one of the best stadiums to play in as a home team."

Now they'll all get to experience the other side of the coin.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Sullivan: Jets need to get back to ground and pound

By TARA SULLIVAN

RECORD COLUMNIST

FLORHAM PARK – Hands to their hearts, locker to locker, the Jets insist they know who they are, or at the very least, who they are supposed to be. It’s ground and pound all the way, with an offense that pounds its running game down an opponent’s football throat and a defense that grounds opposing rushers into dust.

“When you look at the numbers the one that is scary is we’re 31st in the league in run defense,” Rex Ryan admitted Wednesday. “I’m like, ‘How many teams are there? A thousand? No, there are 32. That’s a number that’s alarming to me.”

ASSOCIATED PRESS

“When you look at the numbers the one that is scary is we’re 31st in the league in run defense,” Rex Ryan admitted Wednesday. “I’m like, ‘How many teams are there? A thousand? No, there are 32. That’s a number that’s alarming to me.”

Only lately, the Jets are taking more of the pounding than they are delivering. And without a reversal of the trend, the team Rex Ryan crafted in his own bombastic image is in danger of losing the identity he worked so hard, and so successfully, to instill.

It was only one loss – the first one of the season against two wins – but the Jets’ defensive showing was so poor and the offensive balance so out of whack last weekend in Oakland that anxiety is setting in. And if the look back is alarming, the look forward is downright frightening. Road trips to Baltimore on Sunday night and New England a week from then pit the Jets against two of the teams they plan to usurp as AFC front-runners.

Reestablishing who they are will go a long way in reasserting their dominance.

“You do feel a sense of urgency,” defensive tackle Sione Pouha said. “You never want to lose your identity. Sunday was out of character for us.”

With every gashing Darren McFadden rush, the Jets lost a piece of themselves. By the time his destruction was complete – 171 yards rushing for Oakland – the Jets were left shaken out of their cleats and shaken to their core. McFadden is the worst offender, but he is not alone.

“When you look at the numbers the one that is scary is we’re 31st in the league in run defense,” Ryan admitted Wednesday. “I’m like, ‘How many teams are there? A thousand?

No, there are 32. That’s a number that’s alarming to me.”

Not surprising, given Ryan’s devotion to defense and lengthy résumé of coaching the league’s stingiest ones. But the flip side is no better for the Jets, who have morphed into a team whose offense is throwing the ball nearly 70 percent of the time. But the more Mark Sanchez throws the ball, the more he’s been hitting the ground. An Oakland game without All-Pro center Nick Mangold made matters even worse, leaving the third-year QB gashed and bloodied. A better running game and Sanchez would be less of a target.

“The running game is a quarterback’s best friend,” veteran receiver Plaxico Burress said. “I’ve always believed that the run sets up the pass. We all realize that. We need to establish our run game if we want to get where we need to be in our pass game.”

The Jets’ off-season moves seemed to emphasize the passing game, however. Retaining receiver Santonio Holmes was the team’s top priority, and he was soon joined by veteran signees Burress and Derrick Mason. Throw in tight end Dustin Keller and the Jets went into the season with the intention of opening up the passing game.

Three games in, the cost is proving too high.

“Hopefully this is the game we get the running game going,” running back Shonn Greene said. “A lot of people when they go against the Ravens’ defense say, ‘There’s no way we can run.’ We’re not going to do that. We’re going to try.”

The fate of Ryan’s continued Super Bowl promise hangs in the balance. That the Jets got as close as they did the last two years, reaching the AFC title game, was a testament to the formula Ryan instilled. Ground and pound on offense; prevent the same on defense. So far, the 2011 team hasn’t found the right mix.

“More than anything we’re searching for consistency. We know who we are and who we want to be; it’s just that we have to do it for 60 minutes,” safety Jim Leonhard insisted. “We did it against Jacksonville, but the other two games, we didn’t do it.

“There was a handful of plays in each game that we didn’t execute very well and it really hurt us. So, I think that’s really what we’re searching for. We know who we are and what we’re all about; we just have to put it together for 60 minutes.”

Ryan’s former employer in Baltimore isn’t going to make it easy. Ravens running back Ray Rice is just as capable as McFadden of capitalizing on mistakes. And outside linebacker Terrell Suggs is as intent as anyone in football at getting to the quarterback. Haloti Ngata and Ray Lewis are two of the hardest hitters. Even with the specter of New England looming, Burress realizes the harsh truth that the Jets “aren’t in position to look ahead to anyone right now.”

The look in the mirror is far more important to their season’s prognosis.

“We have a veteran group that doesn’t like to play the way we did,” Leonhard said. “We need to get back to playing the type of football we expect: consistency, effort, and out-execute our opponent.”

In two years of success, Ryan’s design was clear: run the ball, play stingy defense. This team has strayed from the model. The Jets want to ensure that their changing identity doesn’t change their ultimate outcome.

E-mail: sullivan@northjersey.com

Jet trends: Inside the numbers

September, 29, 2011

Sep 29

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Three weeks into the season, some interesting trends have developed. Here's a closer look at a few of them, courtesy of ESPN Stats and Information:

MARK SANCHEZ: FIRST-DOWN PASSING

23-for-37 ... 62.2% ... 311 yards ... 1 TD ... 2 INT ... 4 sacks ... 75.4 passer rating

Analysis: The Jets are throwing about 45% of the time on first down (way up from two years ago), but they haven't been particularly effective -- lots of negative plays. The stat that jumps out is four sacks; it's never good when a team is allowing that many sacks on first down.

SANCHEZ: PASSING INSIDE THE NUMBERS

Category ... 2010 ..... 2011

Comp pct ... 57.7 ..... 73.2

Yds/att ..... 7.0 ........ 10.3

TD pct ....... 3.5 ......... 5.4

1st Dwn pct .. 33.1 .. 46.4

Analysis: Sanchez has made significant improvement on throws in the middle of the field. A lot of that can be attributed to TE Dustin Keller, a weapon inside the numbers. That the Jets are facing a lot of two-deep zones, with soft spots in the middle, is another factor.

SHONN GREENE: YARDS AFTER CONTACT

41 carries ... 134 total yards ... 68 yards after contact ... 1.7 avg.

Analysis: Greene ranks 25th in the league, a lot lower than you'd expect from a power back whose forte is supposed to be breaking tackles.

DROPPED PASSES

LaDainian Tomlinson ... 2

Derrick Mason ... 1

Patrick Turner ... 1

Jeff Cumberland ... 1

Analysis: Only the Rams, Bucs and Eagles have dropped more passes than the Jets.

TARGETS

Dustin Keller ... 22

Plaxico Burress ... 17

Derrick Mason ... 17

Santonio Holmes ... 16

LaDainian Tomlinson ... 15

Shonn Greene ... 10

Analysis: Pretty balanced distribution.

Ravens-Jets rivalry not entirely friendly

Suggs compares rivalry to Ravens-Steelers series but without the hostility

By Edward Lee

8:00 a.m. EDT, September 29, 2011

Many Ravens players have said the right things about Sunday night’s nationally-televised showdown with the New York Jets, specifically pointing out the respect and friendships they share with former Ravens Rex Ryan, Bart Scott, Derrick Mason and Jim Leonhard.

But before you get the wrong idea, outside linebacker Terrell Suggs described the Ravens-Jets rivalry as being somewhat similar to the Ravens-Steelers series but without as much vitriol.

“It’s a little of the same thing,” Suggs said Wednesday. “It’s not as friendly as you think because come Sunday night, Rex is going to try to beat us, and Bart’s going to try to get after us. It’s a little different because it’s a little personal because they once were here. There’s a little background to everything. We’ve got tremendous respect for them and love, but we’ve got a job to do. They’re in the way of what we’re trying to get, and they see us as being in their way. They’re going to do whatever it takes and so are we – by any means necessary.”

Inside linebacker Ray Lewis said seeing former teammates on the opposing sideline can be jolting, but he reminded reporters that winning the game takes center stage.

Get the Baltimore Football app for iPhone and Android

“Yeah, every week I see somebody different,” Lewis said. “It is what it is at the end of the day. Once they leave here, everybody knows the rule. Everybody knows the rule. You are no longer a Raven. You can start here, but once you leave here, you have made a decision to go on and do other things.”

Aaron Maybin ‘Ready To Play’ For Jets; Rex Says Chance Could Come Sunday

September 29, 2011 9:17 AM

NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) — Aaron Maybin is back with the Jets, and he hopes it’s for good this time.

New York re-signed the speedy linebacker Wednesday, hoping the former Buffalo Bills draft bust can boost their pass rush.

“I feel I can definitely come in and be a tool for us in that capacity,” said Maybin.

“We just wanted to bring in a guy that we felt pretty good about,” coach Rex Ryan said. “He’s somebody that knows our system and can maybe contribute for us.”

Maybin, a first-round pick of the Bills in 2009, was signed by the Jets in August and waived Sept. 4 after he made New York’s initial 53-man roster.

“While it was difficult for me and it was frustrating — I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t frustrating — I still understood that the team came first and that was what they felt was best for them at that point in time,” Maybin said. “All I could do was continue to work and be ready when the opportunity presented itself again.”

Maybin said the Jets indicated when they cut him that they would be interested in bringing him back this season.

“At the end of the day, I understand that football is a business,” Maybin said. “I understand the fact that the team is in a position where they needed guys at certain positions. Even though I had made certain contributions in the preseason, they still needed guys to come in and fill roles that they just didn’t have at that point in time.”

He failed to live up to his lofty draft position while in Buffalo, registering no sacks and never making it into the Bills’ starting lineup. But the Jets liked his athletic abilities and Ryan repeatedly said he was excited about Maybin’s speed and potential as a pass-rushing outside linebacker before they cut him. Maybin had 2.5 sacks in the preseason, including 1.5 in the Jets’ preseason finale against Philadelphia.

“We kind of liked what we saw,” Ryan said, adding that it’s “a possibility” Maybin could play Sunday at Baltimore.

“I was ready to play yesterday,” Maybin said with a grin.

Maybin only learned a portion of the Jets’ defensive playbook in his short stint with the team during the summer, but said he “most definitely” can come in and immediately help New York’s pass rush.

“I just got in last night, so we’re still in the process of going over what the expectations are and what the plan is for this week and all that kind of stuff,” he said. “But as we have more of an opportunity to talk about it and I have more of an opportunity to get comfortable in this system, we’ll be more clear on what the plan is for Sunday.”

Maybin spent the last few weeks staying in shape and dealing with what he called some “family issues,” but is excited about being able to jumpstart a career that looked so promising just a few years ago when he was the 11th overall pick in the draft.

“I’ve been gone close to a month, so there’s still a fair amount of things I still have to learn,” he said. “But, I’ve retained all the knowledge from when I was here and everything I had learned, we’re still building on all that kind of stuff, but I still have a ways to go, as far as the learning curve.”

Jets lacking both "ground" and "pound" thus far

September 29, 2011 9:48 AM by Dan Kolko 0 Comments

More Dan Kolko

n two seasons under Rex Ryan, the Jets' motto has been "Ground and Pound".

So far this season, they haven't done much of either.

Examine the Jets' statistics through the first three games of the season, and you'll see that a team which traditionally focuses on running the ball effectively and shutting down the opposing team's run game has had trouble in both areas.

The Jets have rushed for just 82 yards a game so far this season, which ranks 25th in the league, and on the other side of the ball, their normally stout run defense has allowed 136.7 yards per game on the ground. That number gives them the second-worst run defense in the NFL, which is unexpected under Jets coach Rex Ryan.

"Oh my gosh. We have to get it fixed, I know that," Ryan said yesterday on a conference call with Baltimore media. "We're 31st in the League in run defense. That's a first time ever (for me). There is no question, it was brutal.

"There are bumps in the road for every team. Baltimore fixed there's (after losing to Tennessee two weeks ago). We have to try to fix ours this week, albeit against a great opponent."

A large factor in the poor defensive numbers so far this season was last week's performance in Oakland, when the Jets allowed running back Darren McFadden rush for 171 yards, including a 70-yard TD run. Overall, the Raiders dominated the proud Jets run defense that day, putting up 234 rushing yards on the afternoon.

The Ravens see the inflated statistics that the Jets have recorded defensively this season, but they say they aren't reading too much into them. Head coach John Harbaugh called the bloated rushing numbers "an aberration" and said his team will prepare for Sunday night's game knowing what the Jets have done defensively under Ryan the last two years, when they ranked in the top-five in rush defense.

Still, running back Ray Rice admitted that he watched the tape of McFadden's performance last week and will go into this weekend's contest hoping to replicate that stat line.

"Obviously, you take from it, you see what they did," Rice said. "As a running back, you sort of lick your chops when a guy goes for 170 yards. But at the same time, we're playing the Jets, so we know they're going to come in here amped up ready to play."

Offensively, while the Jets have relied heavily on their own running game in previous years, they're having less success in that area this season, and focusing more on moving the ball through the air.

I

n two of the Jets' three games so far, third-year quarterback Mark Sanchez has thrown 44 passes, far more than the 31 attempts he averaged per game last year. Sanchez has twice topped 335 yards passing, and has been needed to lead a couple of comeback efforts late in games.

Ryan was asked yesterday why the Jets have had trouble getting their ground attack started this season.

"First off, I think you have to run the ball," Ryan said with a laugh. "You look at our attempts, it's not close to where we have been the last couple of years, but your opponent has a lot to do with that as well. We've been down in a couple of games this year, so that kind of dictates that we'll have to throw the ball more than we have done in the past."

Again, despite what the Ravens see from the Jets on tape thus far this season, they're going to enter Sunday's game expecting to see primarily the same opponent they've witnessed in previous years. They expect the run defense to be tough, and the guys on the Ravens' defensive front know they need to shut down running backs Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson.

"They haven't been real consistent running the ball so far this season, but the quarterback has carried them," linebacker Jarret Johnson said. "The main thing is, they're going to come out and run it, you just can't let them get started. They've got two very capable backs and a good front, so you don't want to let them get started."

Cromartie back, Mangold not

September, 29, 2011

Sep 29

12:46

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

CB Antonio Cromartie (bruised ribs, lung) looks like a go for Sunday's game at Baltimore. C Nick Mangold (ankle) remains a major question mark.

After sitting out Wednesday, Cromartie returned to practice Thursday and participated in positional drills, showing no ill effects from last Sunday's injury -- at least not during the 30 minutes open to the media. Cromartie showed his usual burst, running full speed on punt returns.

On Wednesday, Rex Ryan said Cromartie was further along than Mangold, and that was apparent. Mangold came out in uniform (shells) for the first time since suffering the high-ankle sprain, and he participated in the stretching period, but he went off to the side once positional drills began. He worked with a trainer on various agility drills.

Suggs, Ravens would love nothing better than to shut up Rex Ryan

As brash and bold as ever, Rex Ryan can talk the talk with any NFL head coach who has ever donned the headset. But Baltimore outside linebacker Terrell Suggs takes a back seat to no one in terms of self-confidence, self-expression and big-game buildup. And that's just one of the many reasons Sunday night's reunion-themed matchup between the Jets and Ravens makes for the NFL's centerpiece showdown of Week 4.

On one sideline will be Ryan, the Jets' proud and loud third-year head coach, who'll be making his first trip to Baltimore in the regular season since spending 10 mostly successful years there as a Ravens defensive assistant (1999-2008). On the other side will be Suggs, fellow Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis, safety Ed Reed and all the other defensive Ravens who once took their marching orders from the man who is now New York's round mound of sound.

"We loved him when he was here,'' Suggs said Wednesday, in a lunch-hour phone interview. "Him and [current Jets defensive coordinator and ex-Ravens outside linebackers coach] Mike Pettine are responsible for a lot of guys here and what they've done in their careers, mine included. I love playing against Rex, because I think he gets to see his finest work up close. If he's Michelangelo, I was his Sistine Chapel. He gets to see what he created. He gets to coach against the very beast, the monster, he helped create.''

I love a good Sistine Chapel reference dropped seamlessly into a football story as much as the next guy, so at that point I just tried to keep Suggs rolling, asking if he and his teammates ever let themselves wonder what might have been had Baltimore elevated Ryan from defensive coordinator to head coach rather than hire John Harbaugh in early 2008?

"The first year we did, when he was still here (as Harbaugh's defensive coordinator),'' Suggs admitted. "We thought about it, what if Rex was the coach? But he's not, so we got over it pretty quick. But yeah, we all knew he was going to be a great head coach. You can see how his guys love him, and how guys are always trying to line up to play for him.

"We feel as though he left prematurely. But he had to do what was best for him and his family. He always wanted to be a head coach, but we felt he left while there was still work to be done. He left the job undone, and that was winning a Super Bowl. And now he's trying to do it with somebody else, and we're taking kind of offense to that.''

The Jets and Ravens (both 2-1) have every right to sprinkle Super Bowl references into their pregame hype. After all, New York has made the past two AFC title games since Ryan arrived, and Harbaugh has led Baltimore to the playoffs in all three of his seasons with the Ravens, with New York and Baltimore each producing a league-best four postseason road victories over that span. The goal this year in both cities is clear-cut: Beating out the behemoths from New England and Pittsburgh, respectively, and finally forego the wild-card route in the playoffs in favor of division titles and higher seeds in the AFC postseason field.

The Ravens already have taken a step toward that reality, embarrassing Pittsburgh 35-7 in their regular-season opener in Baltimore. The Jets, who are in the middle leg of a demanding three-game road trip, get their first shot at the Patriots next week in Foxboro. But first, the Ravens must be confronted, and Ryan would dearly love to pay them back for beating his Jets 10-9 in last year's season opener, a game that saw New York gallingly fail to score a touchdown and amass just 176 yards of offense in its regular-season debut at the New Meadowlands Stadium.

"It'll be a physical game again,'' said Suggs, the pass-rushing star and ninth-year veteran who played the first six seasons of his NFL career on a defense that Ryan helped coach. "But we've got the advantage that we're at M&T [bank Stadium]. So it's going to be a fight.''

The Ravens enter the fight with a sense of momentum generated by last Sunday's impressive 37-7 dismantling of the Rams in St. Louis, giving them victories by 28 and 30 points in the season's first three weeks. Baltimore is suddenly an offensive power, rolling up a franchise-best 553 yards of offense against the Rams, with quarterback Joe Flacco throwing for a career-high 389 yards, including three eye-popping first-quarter touchdowns to rookie receiver Torrey Smith (who made his first five NFL receptions for 152 yards and those three scores).

The Jets, by comparison, are reeling in the wake of Week's 3 results. First they got rolled in Oakland by a resurgent Raiders team that ran for 234 yards and four touchdowns in its 34-24 win -- the most rushing yards by far that Ryan's Jets have allowed in his 41-game New York tenure -- and then they got filleted in the media by Jets legend Joe Namath, who suggested that Ryan's penchant for singing the praises of his own players has left them overconfident and under-prepared.

That's a subjective case to make, but New York left itself open to criticism of some sort after the debacle against the Raiders. The Jets run defense, one of the supposed strengths of the team, is ranked 31st overall (136.7-yard average), and has allowed an NFL-worst five rushing touchdowns. New York's own identity as a run-first team out of the "Ground and Pound'' mold seemed laughable, given Oakland out-rushed New York by 134 yards.

Ryan likely isn't stroking his players all that much this week, but Suggs both saw and benefited from Ryan's tendency to build up his guys' self-esteem. But at the same time, he said without Ryan's demanding style and sense of discipline he would not have developed into the Pro Bowl level-linebacker he has been for most of his career.

"He's a player's coach, no doubt,'' Suggs said. "He'll stick his neck out for you, and he's going to put you in the best position to win. I'm going to be totally honest with you. When I first got to Baltimore [in 2003], he was my coach, and all I wanted to do was just sack quarterbacks. I didn't want to do none of the physical stuff, and he told me that's not an option here. If you're going to play on this Ravens defense and wear a Ravens decal, you're going to be one tough SOB, and he turned me into one. Like I said, I credit the man a lot for my career, him and Mike Pettine. He helped me learn how to be a pro. He taught me about responsibility and how to be a guy to not let the defense down.''

Suggs is off to one of the most dominant, playmaking starts of his career, with four sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception in Baltimore's three games. And this is the kind of spotlight game he loves to take center stage in. Besides Ryan, his spotlight-loving former coach, Suggs will be competing against three ex-Ravens-turned-Jets: linebacker Bart Scott, receiver Derrick Mason and safety Jim Leonhard. But he knows where the story this week starts, and it's on Ryan's return.

"Oh, definitely Rex loves this,'' Suggs said of the pre-game focus on Ryan. "He demands a certain kind of presence, a certain kind of attention, and what better city to do it in than New York? It wasn't a surprise to me how he's been with the Jets. I knew once he got his opportunity he was going to explode with it, and that's what he did.''

As long as Ryan and Suggs are involved, you know the talk won't even end with the game's final whistle. One team's going to be 3-1, the other 2-2, but both will have something to say about it. That's a given.

"When we beat the Jets, I'm going to give Rex a hug and a kiss,'' Suggs said. "And then I'm going to kiss Bart [scott], and hug Bart. And then I'm going to Disney World, because it's our bye week.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/09/29/ravens.jets/index.html#ixzz1ZMW64Erq

Lock Down: Baltimore Ravens

by Bassett on September 29th, 2011 at 11:00 am

Every week from here on out, we’re going to try and take a look at the receivers that the Jets will be facing and do our best to anticipate who will be covering whom come gametime. This week, the Baltimore Ravens.

So with the sudden flurry of production from the Ravens receivers (specifically rookie Torrey Smith) last week, what does this weekend hold in store for the Jets and their (majority) defensive assignments? WR1 Anquan Boldin — Yesterday Revis called Boldin one of the toughest receivers in football. If that’s not an indication to me that he’s drawing him as his assignment, I don’t know what is. It’s his ultimate sign of respect, because Boldin does exactly what Revis respects the most. The strength of Darrelle’s game is found in manning up, getting in re-routing and hand-fights with his targets – he’s the absolute best in the game at it. Boldin would appear to be the antidote to Revis’s poison. He’s equipped from a physical and disciplined route technique to match with Revis. I think this could be one of the best matchups we see for Revis this year … in the end I think that Revis will prevail, but I do think that it could stand to go back and forth more than most of his matchups.

WR2? Torrey Smith — With Lee Evans still dealing with an injury and not participating in practice, the Jets should assume that Smith will be the #2. After going catchless in two games, Smith exploded last week against the Rams with 3 TDs. Smith is not the reincarnation of Randy Moss or Marques Colston … no one expects that sort of production every week. The Rams have a terrible CB2 and Smith and Flacco took advantage … that’s not going to be anywhere near his output week in and out going forward. Smith is a good receiver, but he’s coming “back ta’ urf” this weekend against the Jets. Cromartie is an excellent matchup for Smith: tall and solid, Cromartie has the frame to match Smith. Smith is the perfect young, sloppy route-running, deep threat who’s best after the catch. Last year Cromartie ate Brandon Marshall’s lunch … and he’s in that same category. Of course the concern is that can Cromartie play? I expect he will, but the Jets will go easy on him this week in practice. If Cro can’t go, then look for the Jets to land Strickland or Wilson on him with lots of coverage help over the top.

WR3? Lee Evans – Evans might play, but DNP’ed practice yesterday due to an ankle injury – so it’s hard to say whether he’ll be ready for Sunday or not. If Evans is in the game, look for the Jets to place their slot corners after him whenever they can. That’d be either Strickland or Wilson situationally dependent on what else the Jets need. I’m not so concerned about Evans ability to be productive against a corner – but I confess the thought of a safety like Eric Smith press covering him in a pinch gives me heart palpitations.

RB Ray Rice — This is the man that is the biggest concern for the Jets in this game. Rice is a gamebreaking pass-catcher, perfect at catching passes in the flat, motioning out to the slot or flank, or on screen plays. Once he’s got the ball in his hands and he’s past the defensive line, he’s great at making safeties and linebackers miss, and then once he’s in the open field he’s almost impossible to catch. The Jets don’t have a burner in their safety rotation, to recover on any slip ups up front, so I think that if the Jets can’t bring down Rice on their first shot at him, and it happens on more than one occasion, it might be a long day.

Jets vs. Ravens: Rex Ryan's boasts don't impress Ravens

Published: Thursday, September 29, 2011, 10:21 AM Updated: Thursday, September 29, 2011, 11:33 AM

Star-Ledger Staff By Star-Ledger Staff

With the Jets playing the Ravens Sunday night in Baltimore, here are some storylines between the teams that may be worth following.

Michael Fast, Ravens24x7.com: Rex Ryan talks tough, but his guarantee of the Jets winning the Super Bowl? Not likely. In his two seasons as coach, Ryan's Jets are 3-4 against the Ravens, Patriots and Steelers, their top competition in the AFC. Not exactly dominant.

Edward Lee, Baltimore Sun: Apparently, the Jets-Ravens rivalry isn't as friendly as you might imagine.

Baltimore Sun: Wide receiver Lee Evans' ankle is progressing, but he's not sure if he will play Sunday night.

Cromartie back, Mangold not

September, 29, 2011

Sep 29

12:46

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

CB Antonio Cromartie (bruised ribs, lung) looks like a go for Sunday's game at Baltimore. C Nick Mangold (ankle) remains a major question mark.

After sitting out Wednesday, Cromartie returned to practice Thursday and participated in positional drills, showing no ill effects from last Sunday's injury -- at least not during the 30 minutes open to the media. Cromartie showed his usual burst, running full speed on punt returns.

On Wednesday, Rex Ryan said Cromartie was further along than Mangold, and that was apparent. Mangold came out in uniform (shells) for the first time since suffering the high-ankle sprain, and he participated in the stretching period, but he went off to the side once positional drills began. He worked with a trainer on various agility drills.

Why in the world is Cromartie returning Punts? Kerley did fine last week. Cromartie got hurt on KO's.

Jets Coach Ryan Relishing Chance to Beat Ravens

By REUTERS

Published: September 29, 2011 at 2:51 PM ET

By Simon Evans

Reuters

The Fifth Down

(Reuters) - The New York Jets and Baltimore Ravens clash in Week Four of the National Football League (NFL) season and while the teams have much in common there is a sense of rivalry fired by Jets head coach, and former Raven, Rex Ryan.

Both teams are 2-1 this season, have been regulars in the American Football Conference (AFC) playoffs in recent years but neither has made the Super Bowl since the Ravens triumph did following the 2000 season.

Each have outstanding players on defense - Ed Reed and Ray Lewis for Baltimore, Darrelle Revis for the Jets - but have some lingering question marks over their quarterbacks.

Ravens quarterback, 26-year-old Joe Flacco, and New York's Mark Sanchez, two years his junior, have both proven to be worthy of their high ranking in the draft but neither have sealed their status by taking their team to the biggest game.

But it is on the sidelines where the tension between the two teams can be felt.

Ryan spent 10 years with the Ravens, ending as defensive co-ordinator, and it still rankles that current Ravens coach John Harbaugh pipped him to the top job at the club.

Although Ryan's Jets lost to the Ravens last year he believes he has proven his worth in New York and also feels the need to spell that out.

"We have not beat them since I've been here, that's for sure, but the fact of the matter is, we all said we were going to meet in the AFC championship game. Now, we haven't won the AFC championship game, but we've got there two years in a row. The Ravens haven't. So you can throw that one right back at them as well," Ryan said earlier this week.

"I've gone to the playoffs every year, and I've gone to the championship game every year since I've been here as well. But who cares? This is what it is. They know I did a great job there for 10 years."

It should be a gripping encounter in Baltimore on Sunday that will conclude a day which is expected to offer some tests for the NFL's three undefeated teams.

The Buffalo Bills are the most surprising team at 3-0 and they will fancy their chances of extending their winning start to the season when they visit the Cincinnati Bengals (1-2).

The Detroit Lions (3-0) take on a Dallas Cowboys team that were boosted by their victory over the Washington Redskins on Monday while the Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers will expect a fourth victory at Denver.

The New England Patriots, who suffered a shock defeat to Buffalo last week, face another tricky test on the road against an Oakland Raiders (2-1) team that is showing signs of being a playoff threat this season.

The Raiders have gone eight seasons without a winning record and will test the Patriots defense against the run in the first game between the two teams in three years.

Michael Vick's rather bruising season for the Philadelphia Eagles (1-2) should continue at home to the San Francisco 49ers if he recovers from a hand injury in time.

The Eagles are smarting from their defeat to the New York Giants and desperate to avoid a third straight loss while the 49ers (2-1) are looking for another road win after last week's 13-8 win at Cincinnati.

Jets' Antonio Cromartie expects to play Sunday night

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Jets' Antonio Cromartie expects to play Sunday night

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Print | E-mail

FLORHAM PARK - Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie [bruised ribs, bruised lung] practiced full Thursday, according to coach Rex Ryan, who now expects him to play Sunday night at Baltimore.

Center Nick Mangold [ankle] didn’t practice, and his status still is very uncertain. Ryan indicated it could come down to a game-time decision on whether he will play.

Cromartie said he was ‘very’ confident he would play Sunday night, although he said he will wear extra protection under his jersey. He also hasn’t lost his confidence despite the rough game. When asked about rookie WR Torrey Smith of Baltimore, who had five catches for 152 yards and three TDs at St. Louis on Sunday, Cromartie said, "he’s had one big game. That’s it."

Ryan said, however, he likely would not have Cromartie on kickoff duty, unless the Jets need one in a crucial situation. Ryan said RB Joe McKnight would handle kickoff returns. McKnight had a 50-yarder filling in for Cromartie after Cromartie was hurt in the loss at Oakland.

Ryan also said WR Plaxico Burress was limited at practice because of tightness in his hamstring, but neither Ryan nor Burress seemed too concerned about it. He is expected to play.

Burress Making All Kinds of Contributions

Posted by Randy Lange on September 29, 2011 – 4:37 pm

“I’m just having fun, man,” said Plaxico Burress, savoring the highlights of his return to the game with the Jets after his time away. “I love the competition. I missed it.”

The competition manifests itself in different ways. Today was a big day for talking about the 6’5″ wideout’s blocking, his heretofore undervalued skills that manifested themselves with a couple of knockdowns of Raiders defenders

“I think I’ve got three so far. It’s hard to get those little jitterbugs,” Burress said of the DBs he sometimes has to turn away from his backs, such as LaDainian Tomlinson on his 74-yard catch-and-run against the Raiders. “You get your shot, you’ve got to take it. Some of the guys are like, ‘Hey, man, you didn’t have to hit my guy like that.’ I’m like, ‘He’ll do the same thing to me if I catch the ball and I’m not looking.’ “

Rex Ryan was asked if he knew Plax could block like that before the Jets brought him into the green fold in August.

“I knew he had it in him,” the head coach reminisced at today’s news conference about his then team, the Ravens, and their 2008 meeting with Burress’ then team, the Giants. “One of my favorite players of all time was Samari Rolle — a great teammate, a great player, a great person. The Giants were running one of those 200-yard games. Ahmad Bradshaw gets outside, Plax is out there, and boom! All of a sudden, Samari is laying by my feet.

“I see this Giant guy and I say, ‘You don’t need to do that to Samari.’ And He said, ‘I’m just playing.’ That was Plax.”

Burress has a slightly different memory of that day.

“I don’t remember Rex saying anything then,” he recalled. “But me and Samari, we’re great friends. It’s always that friendly competition, that fire. … I threw him over to the sideline, dumped him at the coach’s feet, and let him know, ‘You need another player.’ “

Plax definitely has brought a passion for the game with him, not to mention some of that old playmaking ability he was known for with the Steelers and Giants. He’s got a modest seven receptions but for a nice 18.1-yard average, the best among the Jets’ receivers. And those TD grabs against the Cowboys and the Raiders remind what he can do in the red zone.

Then there is the respect factor from opponents, which apparently hasn’t gone away despite Burress’ time in prison. Two weeks ago he drew double coverage “almost every single snap,” by Ryan’s count, from the Jaguars, who held him catchless but still lost to the Jets by 29 points.

“Does he still have that respect? Absolutely,” said Rex. “He’s a special player and people know it.”

Then on Sunday the Raiders, or at least seventh-year CB Stanford Routt, showed him a different kind of respect. Routt was flagged for three different penalties against Plax — pass interference and illegal use of hands, both coming on the Jets’ second touchdown drive, and holding in the third quarter.

The number of penalties drawn (and the first downs that resulted) were a rare performance for a Jets offensive player. The last receiver to force three flags on the opponents was TE Dustin Keller, then a rookie, for Game 11 at Tennessee in 2008 (two pass interferences and an illegal contact). And the last wideout to cause a trifecta of penalties in one game? That would be Wayne Chrebet, who induced the Broncos into two PIs and an IUH in the Game 9 home win over Denver in 2000.

Burress won’t mind mixing it up against Baltimore’s corners, Lardarius Webb and Cary Williams, on Sunday night. Chances for longballs could be had when the Ravens blitz. And the opportunity for another knockdown or two should also present itself. It will be another hard day’s night of work — and Plax is all for it.

“I feel it after a game,” he said about a big blocking outing. “It tires you out a little bit, going out and giving extra effort in the running game. It’s helping me get into better football shape.”

Injury Watch

The Jets’ big injury news is that CB Antonio Cromartie (ribs) went from not practicing Wednesday to full team drills today. “He had a really good day out there. He had three interceptions,” Ryan said. “It was good to see … he’s moving around well.”

There’s still one day to go before Rex declares his players’ game status, but it sounds as if Cro will be good to go at corner. But as the main kickoff returner? “No, he’s not going to return kicks this week, no way,” Ryan said. “Unless we need him.”

C Nick Mangold didn’t practice again today, but his prognosis is also trending upward. Rex: “I’m encouraged. He’s getting better.”

And regarding Burress, he was the only addition to the Jets’ list today with hamstring tightness. But Ryan and Burress said it’s nothing that will keep him out of the upcoming game. “There was just a little tightness. It just didn’t feel right,” Plax said. “But I’ll be fine. I’ll practice tomorrow. Its just being safe, recognizing that your body’s telling you, ‘Don’t go out and push it 100 percent today.’ “

Plaxico leaves practice with tight hammy

September, 29, 2011

Sep 29

7:01

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

WR Plaxico Burress didn't finish practice Thursday because of tightness in his hamstring. He downplayed the injury, saying he did limited work as a precaution.

"Just being smart," he said. "It just doesn't feel right. It's a little sore, so we did the smart thing and I had some limited work."

Burress said it was a matter of "recognizing the things the body is telling you: 'Don't go out and push it 100 percent today.'" He said he felt it tighten up after positional drills, so he took himself out.

He said he expects to be fine for Sunday night's game against the Ravens.

Pettine: Defense Seeks Impact Plays vs. Ravens

Posted by Andrew LeRay on September 29, 2011 – 6:11 pm

Sunday night offers a chance for the Jets defense to turn the page on its performance in Oakland in Week 3. The untimely lapses in execution by the run defense led to a career day for RB Darren McFadden and gave headaches to head coach Rex Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine.

“I thought we had a good week of preparation,” said Pettine in his first comments since Sunday. “Puzzling is a word that comes to mind. We had no impact plays.”

The defense failed to force any turnovers against the Raiders after tallying seven takeaways in the first two games. The only sack came when QB Jason Campbell tripped on the McFadden’s foot as the RB stepped up to pick up Calvin Pace and was touched down by LB David Harris.

“We tell our guys just because you have the Jets decal on, there’s nothing magical about it. It’s how we practice and the mentality we take,” Pettine said. “To waste a game like that and not play to our standards is troubling.”

With the Raiders in the rearview mirror and the Ravens fast approaching on the horizon, Pettine and his unit have worked to correct their mistakes heading into Baltimore.

“Win or lose, you’ve got to move on,” he said. “We watched the tape, we learned from it, we put it behind us. If you can’t get pumped up for this week, you’re sitting in the wrong room.”

Known more for their defensive dominance, the Baltimore Ravens have developed into a dangerous offensive team in recent years. Similar to the Raiders, the Ravens’ offensive philosophy begins with the tailback, and they have a good one in Ray Rice.

Averaging 5.6 yards per carry and 12.7 per reception in 2011, Rice is a difficult target to take down as he keeps his 5’8”, 212-pound frame low to the ground, churning his legs for extra yardage. Combine his running style with the continued development of young QB Joe Flacco, and the Ravens now have two ways to beat you on offense.

“I think we are very similar,” said Ryan. “Both are aggressive, physical football teams. We’re probably both throwing the ball more than we wish we did. Both are consistent winners. When you think about playoff teams, you always look at Baltimore as being in the playoffs, and I think the same holds true for us.”

The increased aerial attack Ryan speaks of has been a theme for both teams this year. Both are throwing on over 60 percent of their offensive plays. Last week the Ravens put up 406 yards of offense on the St. Louis Rams … in the first half.

Baltimore led, 27-0, at the break, led by rookie WR Torrey Smith, who broke out with his three-touchdown, 144-yard performance.

“It was obvious they wanted to get the ball to him,” said Pettine. “In the first quarter they gave him five looks and he took three of them into the end zone.”

The Ravens are notoriously difficult to beat in their own building, boasting a 20-5 record at M&T Bank Stadium since 2008. It’s a difficult place to play in any circumstance, but the road warrior mentality of the Jets should help in their attempt to rebound from their loss in Oakland.

So Many Weapons, Not Enough Ammo

In the Week 3 loss, Jets wideouts had 10 of the 27 receptions. Santonio Holmes accounted for only one of those catches, being targeted just twice. A frustrated Holmes expressed his desire to be more involved in the offensive attack after the loss.

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has a problem on his hands that many OCs throughout the NFL would love to have. There are so many targets to throw to and only one ball to share.

“I always say this,” said Schottenheimer. “I want guys that want the ball. We have huge plays and huge packages for Santonio. There were some things I wish we had recognized as a staff quicker. Tone is a huge part of what we do. He’s a guy we want to get the ball to as well.”

With veteran, proven receivers in Holmes, Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason, the offense is full of productive pass catchers on the outside.

“It’s something I can think about but not something the quarterback should worry about,” Schottenheimer said. “We have good players, they’ll get open, and when they get open, they’ll get the ball. The main thing we’re concerned about is not stats. It’s winning games.”

In his two seasons as coach, Ryan's Jets are 3-4 against the Ravens, Patriots and Steelers, their top competition in the AFC. Not exactly dominant.

In this serious? For starters, based on no means of analysis is this record correct. Based strictly on regular season match-ups the Jets are 3-3 against these opponents (2-2 vs Pats, 1-0 vs Steelers, 0-1 vs Ravens), or 4-4 including playoffs (1-0 vs Pats, 0-1 vs Steelers). Not to say that those numbers are great, but let's try putting it into just a little bit of perspective. Here's each of those other 3 teams records (including playoffs) against this same pool (including the Jets) since Rex arrived in NY.

Ravens - 5-5 (1-0 vs Jets, 1-2 vs Pats, 3-3 vs Steelers)

Pats - 5-4 (2-3 vs Jets, 2-1 vs Ravens, 1-0 vs Steelers)

Steelers - 4-5 (1-1 vs Jets, 3-3 vs Ravens, 0-1 vs Steelers)

So no team is better than one game over .500 against these opponents and based on this analysis the worst team of the bunch (the Steelers) is the one who played in a Super Bowl just last year, while the best of the bunch (the Pats) has gone one and done in both years' playoffs, losing each time to one of those middle-ranked teams (Ravens & Jets).

Bottom line, while I shouldn't be surprised by this at this point, everything from the completely incorrect record to the horrible conclusions drawn from it is an absolute joke.

Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine cites poor effort, 'lackadaisical' play in Oakland loss

Published: Thursday, September 29, 2011, 6:26 PM Updated: Thursday, September 29, 2011, 6:56 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

What to expect as Jets face Baltimore What to expect as Jets face Baltimore Double Chin Strap Games: Jets beat writers Conor Orr and Jenny Vrentas talk about the Jets coming off this week's loss and heading into Baltimore after practice in Florham Park on Wednesday, September 28, 2011. (Frances Micklow/The Star-Ledger) Watch video

Among the adjectives Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine used to describe his unit's effort in the loss to the Oakland Raiders: Disgusted. Frustrated. Puzzling.

Everyone knows the stats by now, that the Jets yielded a whopping 234 rushing yards in the 34-24 loss. Several reasons have been given, such as not containing the edge and alignment and assignment errors. But Pettine gave perhaps the most condemning one, questioning the players' lack of effort.

"Sometimes you can handle some technique mistakes, guys going against somebody that is better and coming up short," Pettine said. "But when it is a mental error, or when it is a guy that is being lackadaisical, it is an effort thing, those are the things that we consider unacceptable. We have our standards of play, and when we don’t play up to them, from an effort standpoint, that is the most troubling. That's certainly something we talked about Monday when we watched the tape."

Pettine clarified he did not mean there was a lack of effort on every play, but rather in isolated incidents. Still, it amounted to a "lethargic" showing he compared to the Jets' 31-27 loss at Miami in 2009. Both times, he said, the Jets wasted a good week of preparation and failed to come up with any impact plays. The Jets had no interceptions against Oakland and their lone sack came when Jason Campbell tripped over himself.

"We tell our guys, just because you have the decal on, there's nothing magical about it," Pettine said. "It's how we practice and the mentality we take, and the disappointing thing is for all the time we put into this, we only get a set number of opportunities to go out there and compete. So much time, so much preparation is put into one game, and to waste a game defensively like that and not play to our standards is obviously disappointing."

Pettine did not put the performance solely on the players. He said no one, players or coaches, had a good day defensively, except perhaps cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Coach Rex Ryan cited the practice schedule, in which sessions in pads have been limited by the new collective bargaining agreement to about one per week. When Ryan was a defensive line coach, they went full speed in 9-on-7 drills on "nosebleed Thursdays," so game day didn't feel that intense. But with less padded practices, and starting defensive linemen Mike DeVito and Muhammad Wilkerson sometimes limited in practice with injuries, the Jets have had to adjust.

Linebacker Bart Scott also suggested players were lethargic because of the West-Coast time difference and eating schedules being thrown off. He oddly explained that players didn't know when to eat and mistimed their carb-loading.

"Collectively, everybody felt weird," Scott said.

That reasoning doesn't carry a lot of weight, and Scott even admitted those are circumstances under which the Jets have fared well before. What feels the weirdest is the team being ranked 31st in the league in run defense right now.

"Anybody that thinks we’re the 31st ranked defense as far as stopping the run, and they think there are 30 teams better than us at stopping the run, I would call you a little bit foolish," Scott said. "The week before we played them, we were fifth. Which are we, the fifth or 31st? It's up to us to prove which one we are."

More coverage:

This week, against the Baltimore Ravens, is their next chance. Pettine said there will be no changes to the starting line-up, but the Jets may cycle in depth players more frequently to keep their roster fresh.

"There is no better wake-up call than looking at the schedule," Pettine said. "Baltimore week. ... We tell our guys, if you can't get ready for this one, then you're sitting in the wrong room."

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

In this serious? For starters, based on no means of analysis is this record correct. Based strictly on regular season match-ups the Jets are 3-3 against these opponents (2-2 vs Pats, 1-0 vs Steelers, 0-1 vs Ravens), or 4-4 including playoffs (1-0 vs Pats, 0-1 vs Steelers). Not to say that those numbers are great, but let's try putting it into just a little bit of perspective. Here's each of those other 3 teams records (including playoffs) against this same pool (including the Jets) since Rex arrived in NY.

Ravens - 5-5 (1-0 vs Jets, 1-2 vs Pats, 3-3 vs Steelers)

Pats - 5-4 (2-3 vs Jets, 2-1 vs Ravens, 1-0 vs Steelers)

Steelers - 4-5 (1-1 vs Jets, 3-3 vs Ravens, 0-1 vs Steelers)

So no team is better than one game over .500 against these opponents and based on this analysis the worst team of the bunch (the Steelers) is the one who played in a Super Bowl just last year, while the best of the bunch (the Pats) has gone one and done in both years' playoffs, losing each time to one of those middle-ranked teams (Ravens & Jets).

Bottom line, while I shouldn't be surprised by this at this point, everything from the completely incorrect record to the horrible conclusions drawn from it is an absolute joke.

Good Job

Archived