Jets News 10-21

flgreen

Jets’ Kenrick Ellis moving on up

Rookie nose tackle Kenrick Ellis went from not knowing if he’d play this year to suddenly becoming a developing part of the Jets defensive line.

The Jets’ third-round pick made his NFL debut last Monday night after spending all five previous games on the inactive roster. After praising Ellis during preseason camp, head coach Rex Ryan

didn’t activate the player until Week 6.

All Ellis did was go out and get three tackles in limited snaps.

“The game is not too big for him. He was telling me practice is tougher,” head coach Rex Ryan said.

“He's what we think he can be. I think he’s got a chance to be really something, and a young man that’s really working hard. It’s good to see him have some success.”

It has been a winding road for Ellis to get here. He went from being one of the nation’s most highly-recruited linemen in high school to being kicked out of South Carolina for repeated violations of team policy. He took his skills to Hampton, where he dominated competition for two years, but was also arrested for assault. His trial for that incident will happen after the season.

Ellis won’t talk about the incident, and he remains relatively humble about the strong start to his NFL career.

“For me, it’s just a matter of getting it done. It was fun and I’m glad that it happened, but it is just the first step,” Ellis told Metro. “I want to get back to work and get ready for the next game.”

The Jets were fully aware that Ellis was a risk, but also saw reward when they drafted him. Not many players his size can move like Ellis, who ran a clocked 5.19 second time in the 40 before the draft.

Ellis is the prototypical nose tackle for the Jets’ 3-4 scheme. At 6-foot-5, 346 pounds he is a space eater that can clog up the middle and force the opposition’s ground game to go wide. But as evidenced by his three tackles against Miami, Ellis is much more than that. He earned rave reviews leading up to the draft for his ability to translate his leverage into a legitimate pass rush.

The Jets are expecting him to contribute more than just his length and girth to their defensive front.

He’s a big guy, but more than being a big guy, he’s very athletic and can move,” defensive end Aaron Maybin said. “He moves so well, not just east-to-west, but north and south. He’s quick, so he is good in the pursuit. He’s a phenomenal player and adds so much to our defense.”

Ellis said after his debut, “I had a lot of phone calls and text messages; a lot of people wanting to support me.” Now with another opportunity on Sunday, Ellis might be ready to take that next step.

The Chargers like to run the ball wide, and having a player like Ellis who can get after the running backs vertically can help shrink the field for San Diego.

“The focus for me isn’t on the past, on last week. I got to look ahead to just getting better, getting another week of practice in and hopefully, playing some more,” Ellis said. “Just getting after it so that I can play more and help the team more.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

NY Jets' Rex Ryan's flap with Chargers' Norv Turner just latest way coach keeps 3-3 team interesting

Filip Bondy

Friday, October 21st 2011, 4:00 AM

Rex Ryan has had himself the kind of 10 days that solidified his standing as Official Back Page Mascot of the Daily News, where he has become every bit as entrenched as our classic camera logo.

Who needs the NBA or a Yankee World Series to sell papers, when we have Ryan's vast mouth? In just this recent stretch, Rex dumped an unhappy veteran receiver, Derrick Mason, stretching the truth about that until we could see right through his transparent material. He declared the .500 Jets should be favored over the Chargers, who happen to be 4-1. He said that he would have led the Chargers to a couple of titles, if only he had been picked to coach that team instead of Norv Turner.

"I'm telling you," Ryan said. "Those teams were loaded."

The headlines here have called him dumb, called him a nut, called him a circus no-ringmaster. But you know what? The guy has two AFC Championship Games under his belt and doesn't mind the sticks or stones. He keeps yapping. We keep hammering. Fine with us. Without Ryan, the Jets are just a 3-3 team with a tough schedule and the Patriots in their division. With Ryan, we get the whole sideshow, the whole nine yards.

"I don't want to take away from the team's preparation, but I want to be myself," Ryan said Thursday at Florham Park. "I want to be true to myself. Sure, I want to be respected by my peers, but I just want to win. I'll be happy if that's the case."

So there he was again, standing at his soap box, this time sort-of apologizing for his comments about Turner. Ryan had phoned the Chargers coach on Wednesday, warned him about what he'd said. He asked Turner if there would be another Jim Harbaugh-Jim Schwartz incident, and whether he would need a helmet when the two men meet at the end of the game on Sunday.

"It just happens," Ryan said, of his motor tongue. "I thought, 'Oh, man, better call Norv.' I wanted to make sure he heard it from me. These are two teams always in the playoffs. We're fighting like crazy. Hope it doesn't take away from this game."

Nothing can take away from this game at the Meadowlands once it starts, because it may be the last chance for the Jets to rescue their season. They are as cocky as ever, somehow, despite the record and the imposing opponent. Despite the sniping from Joe Namath, Kris Jenkins and everyone else.

That self-confidence is a reflection of Ryan, too.

Santonio Holmes sounded as if he was channeling his coach Thursday, when he spoke about playing at home.

"Anyone who goes through those doors onto the green grass is our meat," Holmes said.

Rare, medium or well done? What, exactly, are the Chargers to think of all this? They can't be upset about Ryan's words, because he basically insulted Turner, while praising the players. They might want to take Holmes and Co. down a peg or two, mostly based on their playoff defeat at the hands of the Jets two seasons ago.

Then there is Turner, whose brain is nearly as large as Bill Belichick's and whose emotions run the gamut in public from pleasantly pleased to somewhat perturbed. Turner does not normally get involved in these public spats. Now, like it or not, he's entangled with the big guy.

Ryan will do that to people, draw them into his playful carnival act. Even low-key LaDainian Tomlinson, Charger-turned-Jet, came very close Thursday to saying that he'd rather play for Rex than for Turner.

"Rex's style has an impact on players," Tomlinson said. "He's able to tolerate players, able to get more out of players. He does that better than anyone."

He also talks better than anyone, weaves gold from straw, headlines from pat press conferences.

Ryan is our Rumpelstiltskin.

Rex and the tabloids, we have a deal.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/21/2011-10-21_support_for_ryan_the_gangs_all_here.html#ixzz1bQ1Ui9bL

LT had nine happy years in San Diego

Friday, October 21, 2011

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Print | E-mail

FLORHAM PARK – .

RICHARD A. BRIGHTLY/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

LaDainian Tomlinson left a legacy in San Diego and won’t say a bad thing about the organization that released him in 2010.

And he still might do so, albeit ceremonially. But right now, he’s a Jet, and he isn’t concerned about trying to send a message Sunday to his former team.

When asked Thursday what is going through his mind about San Diego, Tomlinson responded, "Get a win, basically. Obviously, it’s a big game for us. It’s my former team, but at the same time my focus is here. We’re trying to get a win and this is a pretty good team we’re playing. So I don’t look at it like trying to get even or whatever it may be.

"I’m not a guy who holds grudges or tries to prove anybody wrong," he said. "I don’t have time for that. … I had a great time there, a great nine years, and I won’t make it more than what it is."

But considering the kind of competitor the 32-year-old Tomlinson still is, Sunday has to be more than just another game. After all, the Chargers released him in February 2010 after by far the worst season in his illustrious career. Only Minnesota and the Jets showed interest in him afterward, with the Jets signing him to a two-year deal less than a month later.

"I’m sure it’s going to be so special for him," said coach Rex Ryan, who intends to start Tomlinson at running back for the first time this season, although he indicated that will be mostly for ceremonial reasons.

"I think we’ll probably start the game with him on offense or defense," Ryan joked.

"This will be special for him," offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said.

But Schottenheimer believes that once the game starts, "he’ll be business as usual, going out making plays and trying to contribute in anyway he can, but his heart will be racing a little bit, I’m sure."

"I’m not going to get into trying to show them anything," Tomlinson said. "I want to play well for this team, make plays for this team, and just do the best that I can."

Tomlinson, of course, was upset when he was released after nine seasons in San Diego, but said Thursday, "There’s nothing I would change about it. As far as me being emotional [after being released], it wasn’t leaving [the team], but leaving a community, moving my family. My wife was pregnant [with their first child] at the time … and all that built up the emotions.

"It had nothing to do with ill feelings," he said, "toward anybody in that locker room or anybody in that organization."

When it was suggested that someday he might retire, ceremonially, as a Charger, he replied, "It’s possible. I don’t hold any bones toward that organization."

He left a legacy there, even though the perennial contenders never got to the Super Bowl on his watch.

"The one thing I’ve always told LT," quarterback Philip Rivers said on a conference call, "[is that] I hated we didn’t win a championship when he was here because, obviously, what he meant to this organization and the player he was was unmatched."

"It was a great place to play," said Tomlinson, who embraced the community there. "I think it gave me the opportunity to grow into the man I was going to become."

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Rex Ryan is all apologies

Friday, October 21, 2011

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

FLORHAM PARK – Rex Ryan wore an FDNY baseball cap to his news conference Thursday.

Fitting, because he found himself putting out yet another fire he started.

Ryan again apologized for taking what he indicated was an inadvertent shot at San Diego coach Norv Turner on Wednesday, when the Jets’ third-year coach told San Diego reporters on a conference call he would have "a couple of rings" had he gotten the Chargers’ job after interviewing in February 2007. Turner subsequently was hired.

Ryan called Turner Wednesday afternoon to say he was sorry.

"It’s all on me; I’m guilty, absolutely," Ryan said. "I did call Norv. I won’t get into that conversation, but [the perceived slight] was unintentional. I think we’re even, because he did get me with a good comeback, there’s no question."

Turner later Wednesday fired back with the comment, "I was wondering if he had those rings with the ones he’s guaranteed the last couple of years."

"So, I think we’re even," Ryan said, adding, "I did ask Norv if I need to wear a helmet [for the postgame handshake], but he assured me I didn’t."

Ryan would have the weight advantage if he and Turner got into a Jim Harbaugh-Jim Schwartz-style postgame confrontation.

"I don’t know if we’ll see what Jim Harbaugh and Schwartz did," running back LaDainian Tomlinson, who has played for both coaches, said with a smile. Ryan was unhappy there were suggestions in the media that his remark was a slight at general manager Mike Tannenbaum for not procuring enough talent for the team.

After joking that Tannenbaum wasn’t speaking to him, Ryan said, "That’s the most ridiculous thing.

That’s more ridiculous than my comment. ... I wouldn’t trade this team for anybody’s, and I’ve said that forever."

As for Sunday, Ryan said, "It should be a heck of a game. … [The remark] was unintentional and I hope it doesn’t take away from this game."

"It’s just Rex being Rex," Tomlinson said when asked about the incident. "We laugh [at it] and the guys that get offended by it are the people in San Diego, but us, we don’t care. He’s our coach. …

We’ve got to play the game."

Tomlinson added, "I think that’s his way of kind of taking some of the pressure off his players and putting it on himself." Center Nick Mangold said he doesn’t pay much attention to comments Ryan makes to the media. "Not particularly; not unless he tells us [about it],’’ Mangold said.

When told about the flap, nickel back Kyle Wilson said, "I didn’t know about that. I’m not worried about that."

Tomlinson said Turner isn’t to blame for the fact the Chargers have been unable to reach the Super Bowl during his tenure. Coincidentally, Tomlinson’s last game as a Charger was a playoff loss to the Jets in January 2010. Tomlinson had 24 yards rushing on 12 carries and three receptions for zero yards that day.

"I don’t think it was anything that Norv did, really and truly," Tomlinson said of the playoff failures. "I think it just came down to the players. We didn’t get the job done."

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Jets count LaDainian Tomlinson as a key leader as he prepares to face San Diego Chargers, his former team

Published: Friday, October 21, 2011, 4:45 AM Updated: Friday, October 21, 2011, 5:07 AM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

LaDainian Tomlinson morphs out of character for a few moments each Sunday, because that’s what his team needs.

The veteran running back is more soft-spoken than loud, a leader by example rather than volume.

Except when he is at the center of the Jets’ huddle before games, hyping and pumping up his teammates as they prepare to take the field.

“Sometimes, I think you’re called to be something for your team, that they need from you,” Tomlinson said. “It’s like you become a different person just for a minute or two, and then kind of go back into who you are. I don’t know how I do it, I just do it.”

Tomlinson, in his 11th NFL season, has become many things the Jets have needed since they signed him last year. A standard of excellence. A starting running back last season, and their third-down and no-huddle back this year. A respected leader, as the locker room experienced veteran turnover.

This Sunday, he will face the team that released him after nine record-setting seasons, and coach Rex Ryan has decided Tomlinson will start, out of deference to all he achieved in San Diego.

Tomlinson is too classy to fire retroactive shots at the Chargers’ organization, calling personal vendettas “nonsense.” He said he has nothing in particular to prove, although he has already proved much in his career’s second wind with the Jets — nearly accumulating 1,000 rushing yards last season, and exceeding Ryan’s already high expectations of the kind of man he is.

“He’s truly the leader, if you will, on offense,” said offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who spent four years with Tomlinson in San Diego. “There are certainly a lot of guys like that, but he’s the guy that’s going to have the passion, he’s the guy that’s going to bring the enthusiasm.”

Those were qualities Tomlinson showed in San Diego, as his eight straight 1,000-yard rushing seasons helped transform the Chargers from a 1-15 team in 2000 — the year before he was drafted No. 5 overall — into a perennial contender in their division and the AFC.

That is what means most to Tomlinson from his days in Southern California, a community he said helped him grow “into the man I was going to become.”

His tenure ended in Feburary 2010, when he was cut by the team in a tough move for both sides, after his production dipped below 1,000 yards in 2009 for the first time. Tomlinson was emotional in his final news conference there but said yesterday he has no ill will, and it’s “possible” he will one day retire as a Charger.

“As far as me being emotional, it wasn’t a point of me leaving, obviously,” Tomlinson said. “For me, it was the leaving of a community, moving my family, my wife being pregnant at the time, just kind of a situation we were put into that you’ve got to adapt to. All that kind of built up the emotions, but it certainly had nothing to do with ill feelings toward anyone in that locker room or that organization.”

His career was renewed in New Jersey, and this year, his role as a leader is perhaps even more vital. Former Jets nose tackle Kris Jenkins criticized the Jets on ESPN 1050 this week for cutting its veteran leadership, leading to a locker room he dubbed “catty” as a result.

But Tomlinson is one veteran leader the Jets hung on to (though he did take a pay cut for this season).

He mentored Joe McKnight when the fellow running back came in as a rookie last year, taking McKnight to a diner to recap his first preseason game. If the running backs struggle in practice, Tomlinson gathers them together. Ryan asked him to lead the “Home of the Jets” post-game chant, which fullback Tony Richardson did last year, and Tomlinson took on the pregame huddle like Damien Woody and Thomas Jones had before him.

“I hope he gets out there and rushes for 200 yards on Sunday,” receiver Santonio Holmes said. “It just shows those guys that they let go of a valuable aspect of their team, a leader, a guy who’s a future Hall of Famer as soon as he retires. I have that much respect for him.”

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

NY Jets' LaDainian Tomlinson holds no grudge against San Diego Chargers for not re-signing him

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Less than two years removed from his decision to sign with the Jets, tailback LaDainian Tomlinson, a former Charger, left the door open for a return to San Diego before he retires. He insisted that he does not "hold any bones against the organization" for not re-signing him as a free agent.

"I'm not a guy who holds grudges," Tomlinson said.

"I don't have time for that."

Tomlinson, the electric runner who earned league MVP honors in 2006, will get his first start of the season against San Diego at MetLife Stadium on Sunday. As the third-down back, he has rushed for 97 yards on 29 carries, and hauled in one touchdown reception. Coach Rex Ryan believes emotions will propel Tomlinson to be effective.

"He's everything I thought he'd be," Ryan said.

"When you see it through your locker room, how he picks his teammates up, all that, builds them up, he's been fantastic."

The Chargers are the only NFL team against which Tomlinson has not scored a touchdown. He lost to the Jets in the playoffs in his last game with the Chargers.

MANGOLD SITS OUT

Center Nick Mangold stayed off to the side during drills and did not practice for the second straight day.

He worked with trainers as he continues to ease back slowly from a high right ankle sprain he suffered in Week 2.

Mangold has played the last two weeks and is optimistic that he will take the field against the Chargers. He said he does not expect the pain to linger throughout the season.

JENKINS JABBED

Mangold and several other Jets also closed ranks regarding former Jets nose tackle Kris Jenkins' criticism of leadership in the locker room.

"He's not in here everyday with the guys working and doing what we're doing," Mangold said. "So I don't really value that perspective."

PACE PRAISED

LB Calvin Pace drew praise from defensive coordinator Mike Pettine for the three sacks and two forced fumbles he's tallied to date.

"I think this is his best year as a Jet," Pettine said.

Pace, now in his fourth campaign with the team after five years with the Arizona,Cardinals, has applied pressure and provided elements of the pass rush that Ryan deemed important during training camp.

"He's all business," Pettine said. "He's really dedicated himself to learning the fine points of the defense." ... CB Antonio Cromartie (groin) was limited in practice.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/21/2011-10-21_lt_charged_up_for_sunday.html#ixzz1bQ5Ub6P8

NY Jets coach Rex Ryan backtracks on Chargers boasts, calls Norv Turner to apologize for comments

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

A day after Rex Ryan claimed that the Chargers would have been Super Bowl champions by now if they had hired him instead of Norv Turner four years ago, the Jets' coach apologized.

Ryan said he was sorry for the fallout.

"It's all on me," Ryan said. "I'm guilty. Absolutely. It was unintentional."

On Wednesday, Ryan boasted that San Diego would have a pair of Lombardi Trophies if he had been in charge.

"Well, I think I would have had a couple rings," said Ryan, who was one of five candidates who interviewed for the Chargers coaching vacancy in 2007. "I'm telling you, those teams were loaded.

There's no question about it. But things happen for a reason."

Although Ryan also praised Turner and later called the Chargers coach to clarify his Super Bowl remarks, Turner had fired back with a jab of his own.

"I was a little bit surprised by the call," Turner said. "And then after I saw the quote, I didn't have a chance to ask him this, but I was wondering if he had those rings with the ones he's guaranteed the last couple of years."

Ryan didn't delve into specifics about his conversation with Turner, but praised the San Diego coach's public zinger.

"I think we're even because he did get me with a good shot, there's no question," Ryan said.

The Jets' players seemed amused by the earlier comments.

"It's just Rex being Rex," LaDainian Tomlinson said. "We laugh. . . . The guys that get offended by it are people in San Diego. But we don't care. We're not there. He's our coach."

Ryan cracked that he was concerned about a repeat of the Jim Harbaugh-Jim Schwartz postgame handshake fiasco from last weekend.

"I did ask Norv if I need to wear a helmet for the game," Ryan said. "He assured me I (don't)."

Ryan's good-natured antics have grabbed headlines from the first day he took over in 2009.

Whether it was comparing his wife to Tom Brady's supermodel better half, impersonating his twin brother with a blond wig or guaranteeing one Super Bowl after another, Ryan has been the polarizing face of the franchise. However, he could have done without this latest sound bite.

"Obviously, I wish this one never happened," Ryan said. "It was just clearly unintentional. I don't know what other word to use. I don't know what to even say. . . . I hope it doesn't take away from this game."

Ryan knew that he made a mistake right after he opened his mouth.

"I realized right when I said it," Ryan said. "I was just answering a question . . . not even necessarily thinking about my response. Then, I was like ‘Oh, man. I better call Norv.' I'm sure he knows it's unintentional, but I wanted to make sure he heard it from me."

Ryan laughed off the notion that he somehow hurled a verbal jab at general manager Mike Tannenbaum for not providing him with enough talent. He has repeatedly praised the Jets front office for stockpiling his roster.

"I wouldn't trade this team for anybody's," Ryan said. "I've said that forever."

Tomlinson believed that Ryan's bold comments are "his way of taking some of the pressure off his players and putting it on himself."

The future Hall of Famer also commended Ryan for his ability to bring the best out of each player.

"I think Rex's style definitely has an impact on players," Tomlinson said. "Rex is able to relate to his players and get something out of them more than what could possibly be done sometimes. Rex does that better than anybody."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/21/2011-10-21_ny_jets_coach_rex_ryan_backtracks_on_chargers_boasts_calls_norv_turner_to_apolog.html#ixzz1bQ6TmruS

Morning take: Tomlinson to start

October, 21, 2011

Oct 21

8:00

AM ET

By James Walker

Here are the most interesting stories Friday morning in the AFC East:

The New York Jets will start veteran backup tailback LaDainian Tomlinson this weekend against the San Diego Chargers.

Morning take: We suggested this move weeks ago, because Shonn Greene wasn't getting the job done. The Jets also want to feed off the emotion of Tomlinson playing against his former team.

Head coach Tony Sparano tries to offer hope for the winless Miami Dolphins (0-5).

Morning take: Sparano has it bad trying to coach a sinking ship. Miami has a chance to win this week. But, either way, Sparano and the Dolphins won’t win many games after that.

The Buffalo Bills' offensive line is overachieving so far.

Morning take: Expectations were low for this group entering the season. But Buffalo's offensive line has done a great job with run and pass blocking. It also showed depth by surviving injuries.

Here are some things we've learned about the New England Patriots.

Morning take: I've learned they have a dominant offense with the potential to get even better. Chad Ochocinco hasn't been contributing much to this group, for example. Once everyone is clicking, the Patriots could score even more points every week.

Jets LaDainian Tomlinson To Start Versus Old Team

October 21, 2011 8:08 AM

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — LaDainian Tomlinson won’t say he has pointed to this game for 1 1/2 years. He won’t admit facing the San Diego Chargers on Sunday as a New York Jets running back stands out on his calendar.

His coaches and teammates think otherwise.

Tomlinson is the best running back in Chargers history, a record setter during his nine seasons in San Diego, winning the 2006 league MVP award, when he set the NFL mark with 31 touchdowns (28 rushing, three receiving). His exit from the team wasn’t particularly pleasant, though, as it became clear his role would be diminished.

So he signed with the Jets as a free agent before last season. On Thursday, LT claimed his fire won’t be burning a little stronger when he sees those lightning bolts on the opposing helmets.

“I’m not a guy who holds grudges or tries to prove anyone wrong,” Tomlinson said. “I don’t have time for that. It’s nonsense.

“I had a great nine years there and I don’t want to make it more than it is.”

Coach Rex Ryan, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and teammate Santonio Holmes see it differently.

“I think that is natural,” Ryan said of carrying extra incentive against a former team, particularly one that allowed you to walk away. “I think those are special moments for guys. It’s not that it’s a bad thing, like I’m going to show that team. I think he’s getting to play in front of his former teammates is the biggest thing.”

Schottenheimer, an assistant coach in San Diego when Tomlinson was a star, predicted Tomlinson’s “heart will be racing” on Sunday.

“He’s such a pro, he’ll be business as usual and will be trying to make plays and contribute as much as he can. He’s truly the leader on offense, the guy who has the passion and the enthusiasm. This will be special with him,” Schottenheimer said.

Holmes joined the Jets last season, too, traded by Pittsburgh to New York. He faced the Steelers twice in 2010, a regular-season victory and a defeat in the AFC championship game.

“You’ve got an opportunity to just know what you’re up against because you’ve played against those

guys in practice, you’ve seen what they’ve done on film and it’s even second nature,” Holmes said.

“He can go out and use that to his advantage, and I think he’s going to have a lot of fun doing it.”

Most of Tomlinson’s stay in San Diego was fun. Selected fifth overall in the 2001 draft after an All-America career at TCU, he made three All-Pro teams as a Charger and for several seasons was the NFL’s most feared running back. Tomlinson has excelled as a runner, receiver and blocker.

And leader.

“He’s one of the guys we all look up to,” said Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie, another former Chargers starter.

Tomlinson also will be a starter Sunday against the only NFL team he hasn’t scored a touchdown on. A starter for much of last season, he’s been a backup to Shonn Greene this year.

That doesn’t lessen his importance to the Jets.

“If I start, I’ll respond,” he said when told that Ryan planned to open the game with Tomlinson in the backfield. “If not, I’ll respond.”

The 32-year-old Tomlinson would not respond to questions about any ill feelings toward the Chargers.

Asked Thursday if he thought he’d be a Charger for life, Tomlinson rushed along the high road.

“I tell you what, there was a time that I felt that I would be,” he said. “But … people thought I was starting to complain too much when we weren’t running the ball that much and the identity of the team was changing. People thought I was complaining about that, but the fact is I started to see the beginning of the end of my career there in San Diego. At the time it is hard to tell and it took me a little time to come to grips with knowing I wouldn’t be a Charger for life.

“But at the same time I’d seen Junior (Seau) go through it, Drew Brees go through it, Rodney Harrison, so I knew it was a possibility that I could go play somewhere else.”

So is he bitter?

“There’s nothing I’d change,” Tomlinson said. “As far as me being emotional (in 2009), it wasn’t part of leaving (the team), but leaving a community, moving my family. My wife was pregnant at the time, and all that built up the emotions.

“It had nothing to do with any feelings toward that organization or anybody in that locker room. I don’t hold any bones toward that organization.”

___

AP Sports Writer Bernie Wilson in San Diego contributed to this story.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.

Paige One: What Will Rex Ryan Say?

October 21, 2011 6:50 AMBy Tony Paige

The last couple of weeks for Jets Nation fans have been rocky to say the least.

First, wide-out Santonio Holmes takes a shot at the offensive line, then offensive lineman Brandon Moore returns fire. At least the Jets beat the woeful Miami Dolphins.

This week, head man Rex Ryan opens mouth and inserts foot once again when he mentions he would have won a couple of rings had he been coaching the Chargers instead of Norv Turner.

The return fire was great with Turner wondering if those rings were in addition to the two he had promised Jets Nation.

Ryan is great for radio talk show hosts, great for beat writers, great for cartoonists and great for sports columnists.

He will fill you notebook, audio files and video tape with wonderful off the wall quotes.

He even throws a bone to photographers. Remember the calf tattoo?

All this being said .. Hey Rex, Shut Up and Win Something!

This guarantee this and guarantee that approach is great when you actually win something like the Super Bowl, but when all you do to talk and don’t back it up, you sound more like Patrick Ewing and less like Mark Messier.

So I was wondering what will Rex say down the stretch as the Jets head to the Super Bowl?

Here is a quick peek.

Nov. 6 at the Bills

“This is for the Battle of New York,” boasts Ryan, dressed in a Statue of Liberty crown. Instead of a torch, Ryan holds a Vince Lombardi trophy.

Nov. 13 vs. the Patriots

Ryan comes into his weekly press conference wearing a Bill Belichick hoodie.

“Hey, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em,” states Ryan.

Nov. 17 at Denver

“If my defense can’t stop Tim Betow,” he says, waiting for the laugh, “then we don’t deserve to be in the Super Bowl.”

Nov. 27 vs. Buffalo

No statue of Liberty for Rex this week. He brings a bushel of New York state apples to the press conference. “This is what this game is all about,” he says as the media stares blankly.

Dec. 4 at Washington

Rex entered his weekly press conference to Hail to the Chief and wearing a powdered wig. The press thinks the powder is of the confectionery variety.

Dec, 11 vs. Kansas City

Rex wears an old Willie Lanier jersey with the number 63 on it to his weekly press conference.

“We’re gonna unveil our 63 defense and make the Chiefs throw the damn ball,” he says, adding,

“That’s what I’m talking about.”

Dec. 18 at Philly

Rex challenges Eagles head coach Andy Reid to a Philly Cheese Steak eating contest. Reid refuses. Reid challenges Ryan to weigh in to see who weighs the most. Ryan refuses.

Dec, 24 vs. Giants

Ryan wears a Santa Claus costume to his weekly presser only his suit is Jet green, not red. “I have a special gift for Coach Coughlin,” explains Ryan. Coughlin, when asked about Ryan’s getup, wishes the media happy holidays and leaves his press conference. Rumor has it he left a lump of coal at every media member’s seat.

Jan. 1, 2012 at Miami (Jets were eliminated from the playoffs the week before)

The Dolphins new head coach — Norv Turner — is introduced though he won’t take over the team until the start of the 2012 season. When asked why he won’t coach Miami’s season-ending game, he states, “I want to sit back and watch a Super Bowl-bound team in action.”

When asked about his going to the Super Bowl prediction, Ryan explains that he is going to the Super Bowl. “My brother said he could get us some tickets on Stub Hub,” says a humbled Ryan.

Another slow start will cost Jets against Chargers

Jets Blog

By JUSTIN TERRANOVA

Last Updated: 8:54 AM, October 21, 2011

Posted: 2:18 AM, October 21, 2011

The Jets are built to be a play-from-ahead team, but they have become prone to slow starts. It’s a combination that has added up to a .500 record and plenty of critics.

The Jets opened the past two games against the Patriots and Dolphins with four consecutive three-and-outs. And they have fallen behind in every one of their games, except the Week 2 rout of the lowly Jaguars. They were able to recover to beat Miami, but it’s not a hole they can afford to put themselves in Sunday against San Diego.

“You can’t play from behind against a veteran team like the Chargers,” former defensive lineman and Jets radio analyst Marty Lyons said. “They’ve got too many weapons on the offensive side of the ball, starting with Antonio Gates. (The Jets) have to play better than they did vs. the Dolphins, but they are very capable of winning this game.”But the Jets could be catching the Chargers at the wrong time. While the Jets played Monday night, the 4-1 Chargers are coming off a bye, which should give quarterback Philip Rivers’ targets time to recover from injuries that have limited a potentially potent offense.

“They are not playing the style of ball with as an explosive an offense we are used to seeing, but they are winning,” former Chargers quarterback and CBS analyst Dan Fouts said. “And that’s really all that matters. They’ve had to deal with some injuries. Antonio Gates has been out, Malcom Floyd has been hurt, Vincent Jackson has been banged up. Take those deep threats away, the yards are a little bit harder to come by.”

But all are healthier following the two weeks off, and are expected to be on the field together for the first time since Week 2.

The Jets offensive weapons have not missed any time this season, but the offense still has been misfiring — a new problem for Plaxico Burress. But Fouts said the problem is not with the receivers or quarterback Mark Sanchez, and with a running game that has been grounded all season.

“Sanchez is very effective with rollouts and play-action passes and if you are not running the ball well those things go away,” Fouts said. “Because the defense ignores the play fake and gets up in the quarterback’s face. It goes back to their inability to get anything consistent on the ground.”

As ugly as it was, Lyons said he believes the 24-6 victory over Miami could help turn the Jets season around. And, at least for now, it has quieted the bickering between wide receiver Santonio Holmes and guard Brandon Moore, which erupted last week after Holmes criticized the offensive line.

“You have to prove to yourself that you’re not as bad as everyone’s written you up to be the past three weeks,” Lyons said. “They’ve handled it as well as can be expected. . . . Rex had two players that were outspoken and both of them are very valuable to the team. Monday night he put them out as captains which was his way of saying: You may not get along during the week, but game day you get along because you need each other to win.”

justin.terranova@nypost.com

Chargers receivers don't scare Jets' Revis

By FRED KERBER

Last Updated: 9:02 AM, October 21, 2011

Posted: 1:30 AM, October 21, 2011

In most games, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis finds himself as busy as a guy selling artichoke-flavored ice cream to kids. Offenses tend to shy away from his unquestioned skills because you don't poke sleeping bears or rattle hornets' nests. The Dolphins went after Revis on Monday night, threw his way a lot.

So two interceptions later (one of them returned 100 yards for a game-changing touchdown), Revis gladly accepted the AFC Defensive Player of the Week honor. Thank you, Miami.

And Revis wouldn't mind one bit if the high-powered Chargers, with the AFC's second-ranked passing offense, try coming at him Sunday.

"Yeah. Yeah," Revis replied when asked if he hopes the Chargers' game plan for the 1 p.m. start at MetLife Stadium targets his area. "It's their game plan, it's what they feel comfortable with and how they want to attack our defense. If I'm the guy they want to attack, that's cool. If it's [Antonio Cromartie], if it's the linebackers, whoever it is on our team we take the challenge."

Revis took and passed the challenge Monday night with three tackles and four passes defended in the Jets' victory. He was largely assigned to Brandon Marshall and regardless of who he draws this time -- "We don't give away who we put him on," coach Rex Ryan said -- Revis knows it will be a real challenge.

Vincent Jackson, averaging 17.7 yards per reception, and Malcom Floyd each are 6-foot-5 targets for QB Philip Rivers. And tight end Antonio Gates might be back after missing the last three games with a foot injury.

"Very challenging. One of the best quarterbacks in the league. Gunslinger. And their passing game is all vertical. They got two 6-5 NBA players out there, LeBron James is out there. Two guys who can go up and get the ball, and they do a great job," Revis said. "This is the team we're facing that has run the most vertical routes. That's all they do. You see it on film all the time . . . Philip has great accuracy. He has a big arm [and] you can see sometimes on film they just throw the ball up and those guys will get it."

So Revis relies on everything he has, including what teammate guard Matt Slauson joked is "a bag of tricks" other corners aren't good enough to use but Revis is really good at.

"He's the guy when he's on your team, you love him; on the other team, you hate him," Slauson said. "He's a great asset to our team, a great teammate. Knowing we never have to worry about him is great."

fred.kerber@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/charger_wide_outs_don_scare_revis_w3RXKi0ThNOLkPqfGHkpVM#ixzz1bQD1UM9G

Jets' Tomlinson will run with ceremonial start

Last Updated: 8:58 AM, October 21, 2011

Posted: 2:10 AM, October 21, 2011

Rex Ryan made official yesterday what was assumed he had planned all along: LaDainian Tomlinson will start at running back for the Jets on Sunday against the Chargers, his team for nine Hall of Fame seasons.

The captivating question once that first offensive snap has taken place is whether Tomlinson — by virtue of his sheer will and it factor — will allow Ryan to take him out of the game.

Because if you think Tomlinson is taking Ryan starting him against his former team as a mere ceremonial gesture, you don’t know Tomlinson very well.

Someone who knows Tomlinson as well as anyone, former Chargers and Jets fullback Lorenzo Neal, told The Post that Tomlinson’s “will and desire will turn the clock back five years in this game.”

“LT has been looking forward to this game,” said Neal, who said he speaks to his former teammate every week or so. “You know San Diego is going to want to save face and try to key on stopping LT, but they don’t have the will that he has. There is no way LaDainian Tomlinson won’t have a big game Sunday.”

Asked what will be coursing through Tomlinson’s veins at game time, Neal said simply: “Controlled rage.”

The Jets plan for their running game remains to feature Shonn Greene, who they still believe will be what Ryan calls the “bell cow.”

But there was a clear shift in the rotation in Monday night’s game, with Tomlinson playing more on first and second down than he had been this year.

As for Sunday, it might be difficult to wrest Tomlinson from the field without a pack of body guards.

“He might be a guy to get the ball to because he might be a guy playing with a little chip on his shoulder,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “He’ll be amped and ready.”

Tomlinson, as classy and low-key a pro athlete as there is, said all the right things yesterday about playing his former team — the one that unceremoniously rid itself of him two years ago after he’d logged 12,490 rushing yards, caught 530 passes and scored 153 TDs while turning the moribund franchise into a perennial contender.

“I don’t look at it like trying to get even,” Tomlinson said. “I’m not someone who holds grudges or tries to prove anybody wrong. I had a great nine years there, but I’m not going to make it bigger than what it is.”

There are others close to Tomlinson, though, who expect to see that controlled rage Neal talked about.

“He probably wouldn’t say it, but I think this is a payback game for him,” running back Joe McKnight said. “I think he’s got a little revenge in him. He wants to take some vengeance out on the old Chargers. I’m thinking he’s going to have a big game.”

Neal made it clear how “disappointed” and “hurt” Tomlinson was about the way it ended in San Diego.

“In my personal opinion, I don’t think LT should have ever worn another jersey other than the San Diego Chargers,” Neal said. “You just don’t treat greatness that way. That’s not the way you treat a first-ballot Hall of Famer. It’s not how you treat the guy that single-handedly put San Diego on the map, took them out of the dark ages.

“When you’re willing to ride with this person, you should be willing to die with that person.”

The Jets locker room is filled with guys who revere Tomlinson as the ultimate leader and are willing to do just that with him.

“Everything he does is powerful,” defensive tackle Sione Pouha said. “Because he’s so low key and such a quiet guy, when he does speak it’s like scripture. You pay attention because he doesn’t speak nonsense. You know it’s coming straight from his heart.”

Receiver Santonio Holmes said he was “super excited” when he heard Tomlinson would start the game.

“I hope he gets out there,” Holmes said, “and rushes for over 200 yards.”

Don’t rule it out.

“Let’s face it,” Neal said, “LaDainian Tomlinson can still play football. He’s not ready to exhale yet.”

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/tomlinson_will_run_with_ceremonial_aKk14eZr7oqZhQ5tJvn0cJ#ixzz1bQDfMP5y

Jets remain confident in struggling Shonn

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Posted: 2:14 AM, October 21, 2011

The most memorable moment of Shonn Greene’s career came two years ago in the Jets playoff game with the Chargers. Greene burst through the line on his way to a 53-yard touchdown that gave the Jets a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter.

Runs like those gave the Jets faith Greene was ready to become an every-down back this season, rather than the complementary back he was in his first two years.

But the early results have not been good.

Greene has 314 yards on 93 carries, an average of 3.4 yards per carry, and two touchdowns.

Players and coaches around the Jets say they have not lost faith in the third-year back, though.

They point to the de-emphasizing of the running game early, and struggles on the offensive line as the reasons Greene has not put up big numbers.

“I am so tired of hearing people saying Shonn and [LaDainian Tomlinson] aren’t the backs we thought they were because that is not true at all,” left guard Matt Slauson said. “We just have to get in a groove as a unit, as a group, and just figure everything out. Right now, I’m to a point where I’m just going out there and trying to explode because I want them to just have breakout games. I want them to shut everybody up.”

Rex Ryan placed a white-hot spotlight on Greene when he named him the team’s “bell cow” this spring.

Greene is still the focus, though the Jets will give Tomlinson the start Sunday against the Chargers. The move, Ryan said, is ceremonial.

Last year, Tomlinson led the Jets rushing attack with Greene sprinkled in. Ryan said he still believes Greene is ready to be the featured back on this team.

“I think Shonn is definitely ready,” Ryan said. “We have to give him more opportunities. I like the fact he got 21 carries this past week. I think that’s kind of when he gets in his groove a little bit.”

Greene had 21 carries in each of the past two games. He ran for a season-high 83 yards against the Patriots and 74 yards against the Dolphins. The increase in touches for Greene comes with the Jets change back to their old philosophy of “Ground and Pound.”

“He’s still a good back,” running backs coach Anthony Lynn said. “It’s no mystery that we started out looking at other options. We had [santonio Holmes], [Plaxico Burress], Dustin Keller, [Derrick] Mason, all those guys. Our running game — the Ground and Pound — wasn’t the emphasis like it has been over the years. He had limited opportunities early on and the production is down. But we’re starting to develop our old identity back and moving in the direction that this team was built.”

Greene was not in the Jets locker room the past two days during the period open to the media. Teammates and coaches, though, say Greene is frustrated, as you would expect, but has remained positive.

“I know he’s frustrated a little bit,” right guard Brandon Moore said. “He expects a lot out of himself.

He understands. He’s working hard at it every day. I don’t think it has anything to do with him as a runner. He’s a very gifted runner. We’ve just got to do a better job of keeping him clean when he hits the holes.”

Both Ryan and Lynn said Greene is a back who improves with the more carries he gets. In the first four games of the season, his carries were: 10, 16, 15 and 10. Ryan said he would like to get Greene 25 carries.

The Jets feel they are close to getting their rushing attack back on track. Greene is a big part of doing that. Players and coaches say they have seen signs during the last two games that Greene is ready to break out.

“You see more of his style,” Lynn said. “The more he touches the ball, you can see he can wear down a defense. You see that eventually he’s going to pop the big one.”

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_remain_confident_C4b4l5gHfSgW7SJUw0wC0N#ixzz1bQEORzV7

Jets coordinator can’t figure out Cromartie

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Posted: 2:06 AM, October 21, 2011

Jets fans don't sound like the only ones tired of cornerback Antonio Cromartie's inconsistent ways.

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine was brutally honest yesterday when asked what leads to the drastic peaks and valleys in Cromartie's play.

"I'm not sure," Pettine said. "That's something we've had many discussions about behind closed doors. . . . I'm not sure. It could be a horoscope thing. I'm at a loss. I think we're all searching for that answer."

Cromartie has been magnificent at times this year (see Jacksonville), atrocious (see Oakland) and in between (see Dallas). Last week, Brandon Marshall got behind him for a big gain on a play Pettine said featured several breakdowns but the most glaring was Cromartie losing track of Marshall.

Pettine admitted it is frustrating to not know what you're getting each week from such a talented player. Pettine, who watches games from the press box, said he checks with the sideline early in games to get a read on Cromartie.

"That's something I'll usually ask [defensive backs coach] Dennis Thurman on the headset," he said. "I'll say, 'which Cro do we got today? Do we got the good Cro or do we got the bad Cro?'"

*****A day after Rex Ryan took an unintentional jab at Chargers coach Norv Turner, he said he wished it never happened.

"I'm guilty, absolutely," Ryan said. "It was unintentional. I think we're even because he did get me with a good shot, there's no question."

Ryan said Wednesday that had the Chargers hired him in 2007 when he interviewed they would have won several Super Bowls by now. He later phoned Turner to apologize. Turner returned fire with a barb of his own referencing Ryan's failed Super Bowl guarantees with the Jets.

"That was a good one, no doubt," Ryan said.

*****Chargers kicker Nick Novak spent training camp with the Jets but lost the kicking competition to Nick Folk. He signed with the Chargers after Nate Kaeding was injured in Week 1. He has been perfect for San Diego, making all 11 of his field-goal attempts.

"He had a good camp here," Jets special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff said. "When we first started I felt he was a little bit ahead of (Folk). But then (Folk) came in and outperformed him."

*****Free-agent wide receiver Terrell Owens, who had knee surgery in the spring, is conducting a workout in California on Tuesday for teams to evaluate him. The Jets have no interest.

******C Nick Mangold did not practice again yesterday, but it sounds like he will play Sunday.

Mangold said he hopes the high right ankle sprain he suffered on Sept. 18 is not an injury that lingers all season. CB Isaiah Trufant (hamstring) also did not practice. Cromartie (groin), DE Mike DeVito (knee) and DE Ropati Pitoitua (knee) were limited in practice. Ryan said he thought those three would play Sunday. . . . Chargers TE Antonio Gates (foot) did not practice yesterday.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/pettine_can_figure_enigmatic_cro_WoMPzoJ22RheDFOwDlVZwM#ixzz1bQFDVo17

B&C Morning Show: Jets Fullback John Conner Checks In

October 21, 2011 7:46 AMFrom Boomer & Carton

Boomer & Carton, Jets, Sports, WFAN Blogs

John Conner made his Boomer & Carton debut this morning as he called in to offer a little player’s preview of this Sunday’s Jets-Chargers matchup.

Craig, of course, made a reference to the movie ‘The Terminator’ before moving on to football, beginning with the Jets locker room — which lately has appeared to be fractured.

Connor described the atmosphere in the locker room to be family-like and he went out of his way to praise Rex Ryan for that. He dismissed the notions that there is a division among players, which is how it has been perceived by the media.

As far as Gang Green’s matchup with the 4-1 Chargers, the 245 lb. fullback says the Jets will play physical football if the game dictates it, but is confident they will have a good game plan in place to combat the Bolts.

After saying goodbye, Boomer referred to Connor as a ‘galvanizing rock’ – which is certainly high praise, especially coming from an NFL MVP (Booms won the award back in 1988)…

Antonio Gates Unlikely to See Full Action

Antonio Gates is likely to see limited action this week if that.

A healthy Gates presents a matchup nightmare for the Jets. We all know by now the strength of the linebackers and safeties on the team is not coverage, particularly against an athletic freak like Gates.

Even a slightly compromied Gates is reason for concern in the few game reps he gets.

The tight end being limited makes the defense's task a bit simpler. It makes it more likely Darrelle Revis sees more time against Vincent Jackson if Jackson plays himself. If Gates was 100%, I could see the physical Revis getting time in that linebacker/corner hybrid spot Charles Woodson plays a lot for Green Bay.

Two years ago in the Playoffs, Kerry Rhodes played a huge game for the Jets. Part of the excellent job he did was handling Gates. Rhodes is now gone. On top of this, the Chargers now can run the ball effectively unlike two years ago, which makes going smaller more difficult. An unhealthy Gates makes things much simpler.

Simms Sees Things to Like About Sanchez, Offense

Posted by Eric Allen on October 21, 2011 – 11:00 am

Phil Simms, who will be at MetLife Stadium Sunday for Week 7 action between the Jets and the Chargers alongside Jim Nantz in the CBS broadcast booth, believes the Jets offense will continue to progress in the weeks ahead.

“Rex Ryan is the coach. There is a mentality and a culture that comes with that,” he told me on a

“Four Quarters” installment that will air on the site throughout the weekend. “They’re not going to be the high-flying San Diego Chargers when Dan Fouts was the quarterback. There is going to be a toughness — that’s why they went to two straight AFC Championship Games. You don’t want to lose that.”

After a disastrous Week 4 setback in Baltimore, Simms thinks the “O” took steps forward in the

Week 5 loss at New England and in Monday night’s 24-6 victory over the winless Dolphins.

“I’ve seen the Jets getting back to that a little the last couple of weeks. I think Jets fans should be somewhat excited about that,” he said. “Maybe it’s not the prettiest football in the world, but who cares? When it’s all said and done, it is about winning. They didn’t complain when they got to the championship game last year.“

While many pundits have questioned Mark Sanchez’s progress, Simms thinks the third-year passer has been solid the last two weeks. Sanchez completed 59 percent of his passes (30 of 51) with three TDs and zero turnovers in divisional play against the Pats and ‘Fins.

“Look at the last two games and look at the numbers,” Simms said. “I think he has three touchdowns and no interceptions, completion percentage OK and the yards are OK per attempt. Man, Rex Ryan must go into his office and go, ‘That’s what I want.’ ”

And while many in Jets Nation scream for long aerial strikes, Simms has an interesting take on Sanchez’s greatest strengths.

“He is a very good quick-rhythm thrower, the three-step game. Why? Because he has a great — not a good — drop. He has big hands and long arms. That makes him a good over-the-top short thrower,” he said. “He is one of the top-five ball fakers in the NFL, so that makes him a pretty good play-action quarterback. He throws good on the run and can move in the pocket behind the tackles well enough.”

The Jets defense will be tested by an excellent Chargers offense this weekend. Quarterback Philip Rivers loves to go down the field with his outside receivers and the Jets are confident on the outside with their talented corner tandem.

“The No. 1 thing I’m interested in watching this week is Vincent Jackson of the Chargers going against Darrelle Revis,” Simms said. “Darrelle is probably the best defensive player in the NFL and Vincent Jackson, people know about him but I don’t think they really respect how good he is. He is a fantastic receiver.”

Referring to the ‘Bolts as a “sneaky” running team, Simms says the Chargers’ approach in the pass game is unique.

“If you’re a Jets fan and you come out there to the game on Sunday, I don’t care where Philip Rivers throws it. He may throw it short, but you watch how many guys are running down the field every play,” he said. “It’s like worms — they’re wiggling in and out and it’s going to be great to see it against the Jets’ man-to-man defense.”

Simms, a quarterback for the crosstown team from 1979-93, does not minimize the importance of this game for New York’s AFC representative. Sitting 3-3, the Jets need a win headed into the bye or else it’s going to be a treacherous climb to return to the postseason.

“The room for error — that’s why it’s so critical for the Jets,” he said. “It will probably be one of the first things I say on the air that it is critical.”

Jets' Mike DeVito absent from practice

Published: Friday, October 21, 2011, 11:23 AM Updated: Friday, October 21, 2011, 11:32 AM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Mike DeVito was a surprise addition to the Jets' practice report yesterday, limited with a knee injury.

Today, the defensive lineman was absent from practice during the portion open to the media.

Coach Rex Ryan will update DeVito's status for Sunday's San Diego game later today.

C Nick Mangold (ankle), CB Antonio Cromartie (groin) and DL Ropati Pitoitua (knee) were each dressed for practice and participating in warm-ups and drills while media were permitted at practice.

Ryan said yesterday he expects Mangold and Cromartie to play but sounded more unsure about Pitoitua, who sat out last week.

DB Isaiah Trufant (hamstring) looks in line to miss his second straight game. He did not dress for practice and came out to the field late, working off to the side with trainers.

DeVito Knee Could Lead to Ellis’ First Pro Start

Posted by Randy Lange on October 21, 2011 – 2:18 pm

A practice mishap involving defensive tackle Mike DeVito could lead to rookie nose tackle Kenrick Ellis, who made his pro debut Monday night against Miami, getting his first NFL start Sunday vs. San Diego.

DeVito got his knee rolled up at Wednesday’s practice. He was limited Thursday and today he sat out all of the team drills. He’s listed as questionable for the Chargers.

“We had him checked out and he checked out fine — he’s just awfully sore,” head coach Rex Ryan said at his daily news conference after today’s practice, adding that DeVito underwent an MRI and has no structural damage in the knee. “It could be gametime on him whether he goes or not.”

So the starter in the base could be … Ellis. Not Ropati Pitoitua or Marcus Dixon? Both are back from their injuries, practicing full today and listed as probable.

“Those guys are going to play a ton of roles for us,” Ryan said. “But in the run game, I’d like to have two nose tackle types, I’d like to have Bo and Kenrick in there, if DeVito can’t play, to stop that run up.”

The Chargers have a dangerous rushing attack. Ryan Mathews is 10th in the NFL with 413 rushing yards at 4.9 yards per carry, and with Mike Tolbert (concussion) likely to return to action, they have a fine 1-2 punch and the league’s No. 9 rushing offense.

But Ellis had the wraps taken off last week and contributed nicely against the Dolphins run, with three tackles, including 1.5 for loss. And given that the ‘Bolts also have a dangerous passing attack triggered by Philip Rivers, it’s probable that Ellis won’t be getting 60 snaps on Sunday.

Whatever his role, what Kenrick said after the win over the Dolphins surely applies to the Chargers and beyond: “I’m just happy to help.”

More on the Injury Front

Ryan’s Friday injury list has CB Isaiah Trufant (hamstring) out for Sunday, joining WR Logan Payne (wrist) on the sideline. The only other “questionable” was C Nick Mangold but he was questionable for the previous two games and still came out for the starts at Baltimore and New England. Nine other Jets are probable after full practices, including CB Antonio Cromartie (groin; limited Thursday) and Pitoitua (knee; limited Thursday).

San Diego’s late injury report will be posted here as soon as it arrives from the West Coast.

Beware the Chargers RBs Out of the Backfield

Posted by Eric Allen on October 21, 2011 – 2:57 pm

It was a busy short week in Florham Park, N.J., after the Jets’ Monday night triumph over the Dolphins. As we look ahead to Sunday’s critical game between the 3-3 Jets and the 4-1 Chargers, let’s empty out the notebook.

Bolts Backs Are Pass Game Threats

Since LaDainian Tomlinson arrived in New York, you’ve always been inclined to think about Philip Rivers and the Chargers’ vertical passing game first in regards to the SD offense. But Ryan Mathews, a second-year back out of Fresno State, is averaging an impressive 4.9 yards a carry and has scored three times on the ground in 2011. The Chargers are ranked ninth overall in rush yards per game at 122.8 per contest.

So the rush attack is solid, but Mathews and Mike Tolbert are paying dividends in the passing game as well. In fact, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune wrote this week that the backfield pair are on pace for more combined yards (1,574) than any RB tandem in history and their pace of 154 receptions would put them only four fewer than the total that the Jets’ Richie Anderson and Curtis Martin combined for in 2000.

“They have a lot of weapons on their offense,” said ILB David Harris. “When they’re not throwing the ball downfield to Vincent Jackson and [Antonio] Gates, they have good running backs who come through the line and are checkdowns for Philip Rivers. He does a great job of finding the open receiver. Their two running backs are first [Tolbert: 28 catches, 231 yards, 2 TDs] and third [Mathews: 20-261] on the team in receptions, so they’re the main focus of their offense. We have to do a good job of keeping them in check.”

Third-Down Spotlight

While the Jets’ defensive struggles against perimeter runs have been noted time and time again, the Green & White quietly are tied for third in the NFL with 17 sacks and tied for second with 14 takeaways. Mike Pettine’s unit also leads the NFL in third-down defense (28.6 percent conversion rate by opponents) and they’ll be challenged by a Chargers offensive unit that also paces the NFL (56.5 percent).

“It’s a good matchup for both teams to try to stop each other,” said CB Darrelle Revis. “I think that’s the biggest thing. We’ve been great on third down and we’ll see on Sunday.”

Tomlinson’s Charge

If you’re at MetLife Stadium on Sunday, you would be well served to keep your eyes on LaDainian Tomlinson. Not only will he get the start against his former team but he could provide an emotional spark early for the Jets.

“I’m super excited,” said WR Santonio Holmes. “I hope he rushes for more than 200 yards on Sunday, and it will definitely be my duty to make sure I block those guys down the field so he can get his job done, just to show those guys that they let go a valuable aspect of their team, a leader, and a guy who’s a future Hall of Famer.”

While Tomlinson might not don a C on his jersey, make no mistake that he is one of this team’s most important leaders.

“I think his leadership carries around the locker room,” Holmes said. “It shows on Sundays before the game. Even the little things that he comes and talks to me about as far as running some routes and the way he has to run these specific routes that we run in practice. He comes and talks to me a little bit. We share a lot of information on how to be more of a leader on and off the field without having to do too much. I think that carries a long way around this team and everybody here respects him.”

Special Teams: Advantage, Westy

It has been overshadowed again this week, but perhaps the Jets’ biggest advantage headed into this AFC contest is on special teams.

The Jets are first in the NFL in average drive start after kickoff returns (28.0) while the ‘Bolts are 29th (24.4) in covering kicks. Conversely, the Green & White kick coverage unit ranks third (19.4 average drive start) while the Chargers returners are 21st (21.1).

“I’m expecting them not to kick it back there as much — just like last game,” said Joe McKnight, who is averaging a ridiculous 44.1 yards a kick return.

Percy Harvin of the Vikings got the Chargers season under way in ominous fashion, racing 103 yards for a score on their first play of the 2011 season. The Chargers have also been porous covering punts, but the problem is Norv Turner’s crew has only booted it away 12 times in five games. Mike Scifres, who has a decent average of 46.3 yards, has seen opponents average a whopping 18.8 yards on their six returns.

“Every team we’re going to play is going to come with their ‘A’ game. We just have to come with our

‘A’ game and expect anything,” McKnight said. “They’re probably going to come out and try to kick it different ways, try different things. You just have to be ready for it.”

Revis hangs up on Francesa

October, 21, 2011

Oct 21

4:44

PM ET

Darrelle Revis doesn't just shut down receivers. He shuts down radio hosts, too.

Revis, at the suggestion of a Jets PR staffer, hung up on WFAN's Mike Francesa after the host asked question after question about the cornerback's controversial 100-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Miami Dolphins on Monday night.During the interview, Francesa insisted that Revis should have been flagged for interference on the play. Revis vehemently disagreed.

"Do you know football or are you good at interviewing?" Revis asked Francesa.

The two went back and forth for about four minutes, with Francesa laughing at an increasingly frustrated Revis.

"You are still the only one in the world who doesn't think that was a penalty," Francesa said.

"I don't care! I don't care what everybody thinks! I don’t care what you think!" Revis said.

Revis was eventually told by Jared Winley, a member of the Jets' PR staff, to hang up the phone, ending the interview with Francesa, who has a strained relationship with the Jets.

"This is why nobody wants to get interviewed by him," the cornerback can be heard saying before he hangs up.

Francesa was upset that Winley instructed Revis to hang up the phone.

Winley later called Francesa's producer to apologize and said he should have asked Francesa to move on to another topic.

"That was an error on my part," Winley said.

I have no idea if it is intentional or not, but whenever rex opens his yapper and everyone starts hammering away at him, the players get the week off from the media

this week there has been nary an article about hunter, smith or sanchez

I have no idea if it is intentional or not, but whenever rex opens his yapper and everyone starts hammering away at him, the players get the week off from the media

this week there has been nary an article about hunter, smith or sanchez

That is intentional.

One of the reasons Rex's players love him, is because he takes the heat off them.

Actually, any article about Hunter this week would have to be positive. He did a nice job, against a good pass rusher last week. I noticed because I was ready to put him in the Adrian Clarke category

Maybe there is hope.

Archived