Jets News 10-24

flgreen

Jets DT Mike DeVito expected to play against Buffalo

Published: Monday, October 24, 2011, 12:30 PM Updated: Monday, October 24, 2011, 1:29 PM

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Here's your injury roundup post-San Diego:

-- If this was not a bye week for the Jets, DT Mike DeVito -- who injured his knee in Thursday's practice and was inactive against the Chargers -- would likely not be ready to go.

But the MCL sprain should be fine for next week's game at Buffalo, Jets coach Rex Ryan said.

"That injury is a real one, but again we probably expect him to play against Buffalo," Ryan said.

-- Rookie DT Kenrick Ellis, who hurt his ankle in the first quarter of his first NFL start, should also be fine, Ryan said.

The injury is an ankle sprain, but not a high ankle sprain, Ryan said.

"Kenrick will be here all (bye) week," Ryan said. "Part of being a rookie, you have to make sure you finish that game. When you have a bye week coming, you have to finish that game. He made a rookie mistake so he'll be here all week."

-- David Harris, who injured his ankle in the second quarter, also has an ankle sprain but not a high ankle sprain. Harris returned to the game after being ruled questionable.

-- Ryan said that they have not seen LaDainian Tomlinson (flu-like symptoms) today.

Rex Ryan tells Randy McMichael to 'Stay classy, San Diego'

Published: Monday, October 24, 2011, 12:31 PM Updated: Monday, October 24, 2011, 1:09 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Rex Ryan had only four words for Randy McMichael, the veteran Chargers tight end who was not interested in giving the Jets any credit for Sunday's 27-21 win against San Diego.

"Stay classy, San Diego," the Jets coach said at today's press conference, using a line from the movie "Anchorman."

After Sunday's game, McMichael said the Jets secondary "isn't anything" and their win "had nothing to do with anyone on their team."

"The San Diego Chargers beat the San Diego Chargers," McMichael said. "Nothing to do with the New York Jets. It's embarrassing."

Ryan was in good spirits after a quality win in which the Jets reclaimed the identity -- ground and pound and strong defense -- that had taken them to two AFC Championship Games. Though Ryan promised one part of his own identity will change: the use of the word "rings" in press conferences.

Ryan got himself into trouble last week when he said he would have had "a couple of rings" if the Chargers had hired him for their head coaching vacancy in 2007. Ryan interviewed, but Norv Turner got the job. When he was first hired by the Jets in 2009, he also made waves by saying "I never came here to kiss Bill Belichick's rings," meaning he was not intimidated by the Patriots.

"I will no longer say the word rings anymore," Ryan said. "Kiss Belichick’s rings, these rings here with San Diego, all this kind of stuff -- I'm not going to use the word 'ring' anymore. I do get crushed every time I say it."

Ryan said "Lombardi Trophy" and "Super Bowl" are still in play, however.

Jets players will be dismissed today for their bye week and are due back next Sunday. Ryan said he plans to stay in the area, but said the coaching staff will get a few days off, too. Their focus this week will be preparing for the Bills, not looking ahead to New England.

With the momentum the Jets have now, Ryan admitted he might have preferred to play this week instead of having the bye.

"Once you get rolling, you'd kind of like to just keep it out there," Ryan said. "But again, it's just a good thing for us, for the rest of the season it's a good thing. Once you feel like you've turned it, and you're back to playing the way you expect to play, you want to be out there."

The Fifth Down - The New York Times N.F.L. Blog

October 24, 2011, 1:24 pm

Jets Approach a Critical Juncture

By BEN SHPIGEL

New York Jets

Making projections is a dangerous business. It is often fruitless, too. But it has become fairly obvious that November is shaping up as a critical month for the Jets, and not just because it comes after October.

The Jets, after defeating San Diego on Sunday, are 4-3 heading into their bye week and ninth in the A.F.C. The top six teams in the conference make the playoffs.

To earn a spot in the top four, the Jets would have to win the division. That is possible, but pretty much only if they defeat New England (5-1) at MetLife Stadium on Nov. 13. To improve their chances of earning one of the two wild-card spots, the Jets must beat other teams in contention.

None appear on their schedule except for the Buffalo Bills, who play the Jets twice next month — on Nov. 6 in Orchard Park, N.Y., and on Nov. 27 at MetLife Stadium. The Jets’ other November game is at Denver, which could be trickier than the Broncos’ record — 2-4, after the legend of Tim Tebow grew Sunday — suggests.

Clearly, the Jets are trending upward. Their defense shut out the Chargers’ high-powered offense in the second half. Plaxico Burress caught three touchdown passes, all in the red zone, in a performance that showed why he was given a guaranteed $3.017 million deal. And for the first time all season, the Jets amassed more rushing yards (162) than passing (156) on the strength of a breakout day by Shonn Greene.

Was the Jets’ comeback Sunday enough to slough aside their early woes and inconsistency, or will the tough November schedule derail their playoff hopes?

Harris, Ellis injuries not serious

October, 24, 2011

Oct 24

1:33

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

LB David Harris and rookie DT Kenrick Ellis suffered sprained ankles in Sunday's win over the Chargers, but both avoided the dreaded high-ankle sprain, according to Rex Ryan.

Both are expected to play when the Jets resume their schedule after the upcoming bye week.

DT Mike DeVito (sprained knee) is dealing with a "real" injury, according to Ryan -- the coach's way of saying it's semi-serious. They expect DeVito to be ready for the next game, against the Bills, but it's not going to be easy.

"If we played this Sunday, I don't know if he'd be able to play," Ryan said of DeVito, who was injured last Thursday in practice. "That injury is a real one, but we expect him to play against Buffalo."

DeVito didn't play Sunday and was replaced by Ellis, who got hurt late in the first quarter and didn't return. Harris was injured in the second quarter, but did return.

Jets coach has message for McMichael: 'Stay classy, San Diego'

1:16 PM, October 24, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Rex Ryan does not agree with Chargers tight end Randy McMichael.

After Sunday's 27-21 Jets victory, McMichael said, "Their secondary isn’t anything. It’s our fault. It had nothing to do with anyone on their team. The guys in this locker room, we lost the game."

Ryan opened his press conference Monday with praise for his defensive backs.

"The secondary played really well," Ryan said. "When you look at the way [Antonio] Cromartie played, physical, got his hands on guys. I thought the way he played and the way Kyle [Wilson] played that was tremendous.

"The other corner [Darrelle Revis] played OK. Eric Smith had a big game for us. I really liked the way they responded."

Asked specifically about McMichael's comments, Ryan quoted "Anchorman."

"Stay classy, San Diego," Ryan said.

Chargers quarterback Phillip Rivers threw two interceptions and had a 24-game-low in passing yards.

Revis, who was agitated by Francesa during a WFAN interview Friday, had a game-changing interception in the fourth quarter, and Wilson's pick sealed the win in the final minutes.

McMichael always ripped and mocked the Jets when he was with the Dolphins. He kept it up Sunday after making three catches for 45 yards. Rivers finished with 179 yards.

"You can ask any question you want to ask, everything comes down to the San Diego Chargers beating the San Diego Chargers today. It had nothing to do with the New York Jets," McMichael said.

"It’s embarrassing, but it is what it is."

Ryan also had praise for linebacker Calvin Pace.

"Calvin Pace was a monster in that game," Ryan said. "[He was] very physical in the way he was rushing the passer, setting the edge. Calvin, I think, is having the best year since I've been here. I don't think it's even close. He's really doing a tremendous job for us."

After his flap with Chargers coach Norv Turner last week, Ryan also vowed to remove one word from his vocabulary after a reporter pointed out it always gets him in trouble.

"I will no longer say the word 'rings' anymore," he said. "Kiss the Belichick rings. This rings here with San Diego. So I'm not going to use that word anymore. I get crushed every time I say it."

Ryan said he expects defensive tackle Mike DeVito to be back for the Bills game on Nov. 6. DeVito twisted his knee last week in practice. Ryan said if the Jets had a game this week, DeVito might not be able to play.

Rookie defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis has a sprained ankle but should be fine to face the Bills.

Linebacker David Harris also has a sprained ankle. He returned to the game Sunday after missing a few plays.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_coach_has_message_for_mcmichael_WGFDLaciGUGYzGPWKgnCQN#ixzz1bixkN1VO

October 24, 2011 1:12 PM 6 comments

Rex Ryan responds to Randy McMichael's critical comments: 'Stay classy, San Diego.'

BY Manish Mehta

Rex Ryan took a light-hearted jab at Randy McMichael after the Chargers tight end had some disparaging remarks about the Jets’ secondary after Gang Greens’ 27-21 win on Sunday.

“Their secondary isn’t anything,” McMichael said after the game. “It’s our fault. It had nothing to do with anyone on their team.”

Ryan went all Ron Burgundy on McMichael with this response today: “Stay classy, San Diego,” he said, throwing out a line from the movie Anchorman.

The Jets, for the record, allowed only one second-half third-down conversion and had two fourth quarter interceptions yesterday.

DL Mike DeVito (sprained MCL) wouldn’t be able to play Sunday if the Jets’ had a game, but Ryan expects that he’ll be ready for Buffalo. DL Kenrick Ellis and LB David Harris have ankle sprains – not high ankle sprains… Ellis will be in NJ all week. LaDainian Tomlinson (illness) will be fine.

Expect to see more of OLB Aaron Maybin in the near future. “We need to get him on the field more,” said Ryan of Maybin, who had his third sack yesterday,

Ryan will give his players off for the rest of the week. They’re due back on Sunday. The coaches will have 3-4 days off as well.

Ryan continued to praise outside linebacker Calvin Pace, who is quietly having a solid season.

“Calvin Pace was a monster in that game,” Ryan said. “Very physical… and the way he’s rushing the passer. Calvin I think is having the best year he’s had since I’ve been here. I don’t think it’s even close. He’s really doing a tremendous job for us.”

Ryan promises never to use the word “rings” again after getting into hot water last week when asked how he would have done if the Chargers hired him four years ago. He also famously told everyone that he wasn’t going to kiss Bill Belichick’s rings a couple years ago. Ryan did say he’ll still use “Super Bowl” and Lombardy Trophy” moving forward.

http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

October 24, 2011 1:12 PM 6 comments

Rex Ryan responds to Randy McMichael's critical comments: 'Stay classy, San Diego.'

BY Manish Mehta

Rex Ryan took a light-hearted jab at Randy McMichael after the Chargers tight end had some disparaging remarks about the Jets’ secondary after Gang Greens’ 27-21 win on Sunday.

“Their secondary isn’t anything,” McMichael said after the game. “It’s our fault. It had nothing to do with anyone on their team.”

Ryan went all Ron Burgundy on McMichael with this response today: “Stay classy, San Diego,” he said, throwing out a line from the movie Anchorman.

The Jets, for the record, allowed only one second-half third-down conversion and had two fourth quarter interceptions yesterday.

DL Mike DeVito (sprained MCL) wouldn’t be able to play Sunday if the Jets’ had a game, but Ryan expects that he’ll be ready for Buffalo. DL Kenrick Ellis and LB David Harris have ankle sprains – not high ankle sprains… Ellis will be in NJ all week. LaDainian Tomlinson (illness) will be fine.

Expect to see more of OLB Aaron Maybin in the near future. “We need to get him on the field more,” said Ryan of Maybin, who had his third sack yesterday,

Ryan will give his players off for the rest of the week. They’re due back on Sunday. The coaches will have 3-4 days off as well.

Ryan continued to praise outside linebacker Calvin Pace, who is quietly having a solid season.

“Calvin Pace was a monster in that game,” Ryan said. “Very physical… and the way he’s rushing the passer. Calvin I think is having the best year he’s had since I’ve been here. I don’t think it’s even close. He’s really doing a tremendous job for us.”

Ryan promises never to use the word “rings” again after getting into hot water last week when asked how he would have done if the Chargers hired him four years ago. He also famously told everyone that he wasn’t going to kiss Bill Belichick’s rings a couple years ago. Ryan did say he’ll still use “Super Bowl” and Lombardy Trophy” moving forward.

http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Couple of interesting things in this article.

Would sure like to see more of Maybin. Interesting to see if he can continue his sacks for snaps ratio. Think it was a part of why the pass defense played so well against the best 3rd down O in the League. The pass D has been good all year, but they seem to have stepped it up since Maybin has been bringing heat.

Guess the guys deserve it, but I kind of wish he wold have them doing some non pads drills at the end of the week. Still a lot of bugs out there, with a real interesting couple of games coming up

Like to see Kerley, and McKnight get a few more reps.

Kerley looks like he is going to be a player. Mark just didn't see him on 2 occasions where Kerley was uncovered. Both would have been TD's. On another Sanchez saw him late, and doubled pumped, then overthrew him out of bounds.

Maybe when Mark sees the game film he'll start looking for him a bit more. he seems to be getting more time. Hunter still isn't good, but has improved

I'm starting to wonder if Mark cant see Kerley period. He's probably missed him on at least 3 wide open TD's this season. The one yesterday where he was wayyyyy out in front of the DB, could have been the worst read I've ever seen by a QB. Sanchez was looking right at him, pumped fake, wait another 2 seconds and then threw it. So weird.

I think Hunter has played really well the last 3 games. He's starting to look like the guy that replaced Woody last season.

Couple of interesting things in this article.

Would sure like to see more of Maybin. Interesting to see if he can continue his sacks for snaps ratio. Think it was a part of why the pass defense played so well against the best 3rd down O in the League. The pass D has been good all year, but they seem to have stepped it up since Maybin has been bringing heat.

Guess the guys deserve it, but I kind of wish he wold have them doing some non pads drills at the end of the week. Still a lot of bugs out there, with a real interesting couple of games coming up

The most interesting thing is Rex quoting Anchor Man. Love that guy. <3 him.

I really wish Maybin had the offseason to work technique with these guys. If there's one thing that I think between Rex Pettine and Sutton, these guys can teach technique which definitely will help him get more snaps and be more of an every down player.

The real story on Tom Moore

October, 24, 2011

Oct 24

2:26

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Offensive consultant Tom Moore attended Sunday's win over the Chargers and was spotted on the field during the pre-game warm ups, fueling wild speculation that he took an active role in the offensive operation. Some yahoos on radio call-in shows even suggested that Moore, the former longtime Colts coordinator, was calling plays.

Here's the deal: Moore's visit was scheduled prior to the season, long before the Jets' offensive struggles began. In fact, they're trying to schedule another visit for him later in the season. Moore wasn't on the field during the game and, no, he wasn't secretly calling plays from the press box.

Enough of the grassy knoll theories.

Moore, whom the Jets hired as an offensive consultant during the offseason, spent training camp with the team. Since then, he has been working out of his home in Hilton Head, S.C., breaking down

practice tape and tape of upcoming opponents.

So, no, the Jets didn't summon Moore to the game to watch over Brian Schottenheimer, and his presence wasn't the reason why the Jets, for a change, played consistently on offense -- although

I'm sure he was willing to share some insight.

Rex, Jets Feeling Themselves Again After SD

Posted by Randy Lange on October 24, 2011 – 3:05 pm

Updated, 3:20 p.m. ET

One theme from Rex Ryan’s day-after news conference today involved what he feels is a return to status quo for the Jets.

What is the Jets’ personality now, Rex was asked.

“Like it always is. A ground-and-pound-type offense, what we’ve talked about. An all-weather offense. The ability to run the football and protect the quarterback are two things we strive to do offensively,” the head coach said. “And then play great defense. We want to be a dominant defense. And we’re on our way.”

Ryan was feeling it less than 24 hours after the Jets came back to topple the Chargers, 27-21, at MetLife Stadium. And he seemed particularly happy that an experiment with more air-based offense has given way to a return to the running game that was in the forefront of the Jets’ fortunes the previous two years.

“I just thought we weren’t being ourselves,” he said of the pass-heavy first four games. “As much as we wanted to expand our weapons and we felt good about our receiving corps, that maybe three wides was our base offense, I just don’t think that was the best thing for us. We wanted to get back to playing New York Jets-style football. Maybe I got caught up with being enamored with the type of personnel we had. But at the end of the day, I never waited till the whole season went by. We went back to being who we were.”

Through the Baltimore game, the Jets were a 63/37 pass/run offense. In the past three games it’s 51/49 pass/run.

And the run was the best it’s been in a while. Shonn Greene’s 112 yards on 20 carries marked the best home rushing game of his career (his four previous 100-yarders came at Oakland, Cincinnati and San Diego in ’09, at Buffalo last year). The 162 team yards were the most since last year’s Indy playoff game. And the 5.2 yards per carry were the best, if you want to set aside last year’s RS finale vs. the Bills, since last year’s 5.6 at Buffalo in Week 4.

“Those are things I saw specifically yesterday that we’ve gotten better at,” he said. “But even playing New England, I saw our running game coming. If we can run the football and win that time of possession — we always talk about winning the runs and completions battle — if we can win that, we’re tough to beat.”

Ryan acknowledged the Jets’ run defense, even with a good 96-yard allowance to the Chargers, remains a work in progress. “We’ve given up some huge gains on the perimeter. It’s something we’ve got to get better at,” he said. And San Diego converting six of its seven third downs en route to the 21-10 halftime edge had to be disconcerting.

But the Chargers failing to convert six of seven in the second half and being shut out for the first time in their last 67 first halves dating to 2007 was music to Rex’s ears.

“The secondary really played well,” he said. “Look at the way [Antonio] Cromartie played, really great, physical, got his hands on guys. I thought the way he played and the way Kyle [Wilson] played was tremendous. The other corner played OK. Eric Smith had a great game for us.

“And Calvin Pace was a monster in that game, very physical, the way he was rushing the passer, setting edge. Calvin is having, I think, the best year he’s had since I’ve been here. I don’t think it’s even close.

“I just thought our defense really stepped up

Ryan’s officially not looking further ahead than Buffalo, which he and his staff will begin game-planning this week even as most of the players say “bye” and scatter for home until returning next Sunday night. But we all know the coach’s confidence is high.

“We’ll make our run,” he said. “We’re 4-3. We’re behind where I thought we’d be, but there’s still a lot of football in front us.

“We thought the wins were just around the corner. But we’ve got a long way to go. Coming out of the break we’re facing two division opponents. As we know, right now they’re ahead of us. We’ll see where we’re at.”

Sunday Drives

Capturing Ryan’s ebullience about the state of the Jets were the drive stats Sunday. They don’t prove anything definitive about the quarterbacks involved. Indeed, many things go into each line.

But they are interesting.

Philip Rivers entered the game unofficially in the top three among NFL QBs in plays/drive (6.75, first), yards/drive (41.9, second), and three-and-out drive percentage (11.5). Mark Sanchez was middle of the pack in the drive measures, third-worst in three-and-out rate (33.1).

In the game Rivers averaged 5.8 plays and 27.0 yards per drive, produced two scoring drives (two TDs) and three three-and-outs. Sanchez was 6.0 plays and 32.1 yards per drive, engineered five scoring drives (three TDs, two FGs) and had one three-and-out.

Tone’s Flag Day

This is a redundant note from a month ago, but it’s appropriate again because Santonio Holmes drew three pass-interference calls on Chargers defenders. After the Oakland game, it was Plaxico Burress whom we were singling out for drawing three penalties (actually four, with one declined) on Raiders defenders.

Now Holmes and Burress are the first Jets receivers since TE Dustin Keller (Game 11, 2008, at Tennessee) to get three penalties marked off against opponents in one game. And they’re the first Green & White wideouts to do so since Wayne Chrebet (Game 9, 2000, vs. Denver).

Also, San Diego was flagged for 10 defensive penalties, which is the most against any opponent’s defense in a game since at least 1984.

Injury Update

Ryan was upbeat about the health of his troops with the bye week ahead to get well for the Bills. He said DT Mike DeVito’s knee might have kept him out if the Jets had a game on Sunday but “we probably expect him to play against Buffalo.”

He said both rookie DT Kenrick Ellis and LB David Harris “have ankle sprains, not high ankle sprains.” He said Ellis will be staying at the training center this week to rehab the ankle and be ready for the second half of the schedule.

Ryan had no further update on LaDainian Tomlinson’s illness that limited him to a little more than a half of play vs. the Chargers.

Bye bye bye

by Ted Berg on October 24th, 2011 at 3:57 pm

"Teams coming off a bye have been horrible this season. Three wins and nines losses to this point.

All the time off actually hurts the players, especially since training camps were so condensed. Right now, players don’t need more rest; they need to keep improving on their fundamentals. The lack of practice time makes it hard to get players in game shape with great pad level and explosion. Four days off makes it even harder to regenerate what was gained from the start of the season. I’d be worried if my team was now entering a bye week."

- Michael Lombardi, NFL.com.

I’ve seen this factoid mentioned a number of times in relation to the Jets already, but something about it didn’t smell right. Mostly: 3-9. A 12-game sample in this case doesn’t seem like enough to indicate anything.

As it turns out, the 12 teams who have had bye weeks so far are a combined 28-43 for the season.

And while that’s still a better rate than 3-9, it makes the 3-9 stat look a lot less glaring, no?

Of course, one could argue that if the bye week is actually hurting NFL teams this year, the games played after a bye week shouldn’t be counted against the 12 teams in question. Still, if you take those three wins and nine losses out of their records, they’re a combined 25-34.

Think of it in terms of baseball, where we’re better at identifying randomness: If a 25-34 team went on a 3-9 stretch, would that seem at all notable?

Perhaps some of the factors Lombardi lists are negatively impacting NFL teams on bye weeks. But they’re also undoubtedly benefiting from the rest and the extra time allowing players to return from injuries. I would not hold the Jets’ bye week in Week 8 against their chances in Week 9.

Dyer: Jets May Not Be The “Same Olds” Anymore

October 24, 2011 4:18 PM

Kristian Dyer

Kristian R. Dyer will be covering the Jets the remainder of the season. This is his debut column.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Jets fans have been wandering in the wilderness of the NFL for over 40 years, grasping at hope and believing in saviors named Testaverde, Toon, Parcells, Favre and Edwards. It has been four decades of misery and struggles, the boos emanating from the Meadowlands akin to the orchestra playing as the Titanic slipped into the chilled north Atlantic waters. For Jets fans, there have been precious few life preservers in sight.

But now, maybe, finally, it is over. Perhaps now the “Same Old Jets” can tied to a stake and burnt.

Sunday’s 27-21 win over San Diego wasn’t supposed to happen, not for a Jets team that has underachieved so far this year with a 3-3 record. The Chargers came into MetLife Stadium like a bolt of lightning, 4-1 on the year and a high-octane offense against a Jets team that had won once in their last four games and hadn’t beaten a team with a winning record all season. The bookmakers in Vegas didn’t like the Jets chances either, making them the underdog at home.

And with plenty of drama peppering the locker room of the Jets this week, there was very little reason to doubt that the team would head into the bye week with a losing record.

As the opening quarter played out, it looked like the “Same Old” headline could be tagged onto this Week 7 game. On the Jets opening drive, the Chargers forced a fumble which linebacker Donald

Butler returned 37 yards for a touchdown. Midway through the second quarter, it was 14-3. Halftime read 21-10, and the story seemed to write itself out – the game was very much on the brink for the Jets.

So too, was their season.

Instead, this team responded in a way that it rarely did since Joe Namath ran off the field of the Orange Bowl, waiving his finger proudly after Super Bowl III. The Jets came back, the defense putting up goose eggs for San Diego on the scoreboard and the offense quietly piecing together 17 points in the second half. There is now reason to believe about this team.

There is a quiet character about the Jets that can’t be denied. They are, more often than not, their own worst enemies – they talk too much and they play with a decided edge that can lead to too many penalties and boneheaded plays. Although they call each other out publicly and their locker room scandals become public fodder, at the end of the day, they pick each other up. On a sun-splashed Sunday afternoon before a sea of green, the Jets did just that.

It would have been easy for the Jets to roll over, just like they have countless times in their franchise history. Instead, they stood up and imposed their will on the game, making amends for a first half marked by sloppiness and lapses in concentration. It was big plays from big players, a timely fourth quarter interception by Darrelle Revis and three red zone touchdowns by Plaxico Burress that stand out in the box score, but the story of the day was more than that.

What won’t be seen or understand from the box score numbers of Sunday afternoon’s game is the fight this team has. Despite the echo of boos and jeers directed at the Jets sideline, not one player hung his head; not one finger was pointed and there was no panic. There was a quiet assurance, a calm and collected confidence as the Jets understood that they were better than their halftime deficit and that the game wasn’t out of reach.

If they had failed and lost the game, the backpages of Sunday’s newspapers would have been calling it out as arrogance, the “Same Olds” again relegated to another loss. But not this Sunday and not this team.

And maybe, not this year.

Kristian R. Dyer can be followed at twitter.com/KristianRDyer

Running Games Back on Track in NFL

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: October 24, 2011 at 5:17 PM ET

NEW YORK (AP) — Run, baby, run.

All those runners who seemed to be ignored while passing numbers flew off the charts earlier this season are resurfacing — in a big way. Joining the always reliable Adrian Peterson and the resurgent Arian Foster this weekend were the likes of DeMarco Murray, Matt Forte, and Shonn Greene. With injuries hitting a bunch of starters, some new names could join them as the ground game has even more impact in the NFL.

The emergence of Murray was the most notable and spectacular development. His first touch was for a 91-yard touchdown, and he built on it through the Cowboys' rout of the Rams, finishing with a team record 253 yards rushing. Yes, Murray outdid even the best production for one game by Emmitt Smith and Tony Dorsett.

"I never thought in a million years that I'd ever have a day like this," Murray said. "This is what I've been working hard for since my Pop Warner days."

Pop Warner-style offenses, where teams run, run and then run some more, never will resurface in the NFL. Pro football is a passing game, and the record-setting stats early in the 2011 schedule prove that.

But running backs are undergoing a revival and Sunday underscored it.

We've come to expect big showings from Peterson, who despite playing behind a rookie quarterback making his first start, Christian Ponder, and facing the defending Super Bowl champs, had 175 yards and a touchdown in a 33-27 loss to Green Bay. Foster led the league in rushing in his breakout 2010 season and, after battling injuries this year had a huge game in a 41-7 romp past Houston: 115 yards rushing and two scores, 119 receiving and another TD.

Supporting Foster was Ben Tate with 104 yards on the ground. Like Foster the previous year, Tate is making up for a lost season. A second-round draft pick in 2010, he broke his right ankle in the preseason and didn't play again. Foster wasn't used much in his rookie season of 2009, appearing in only six games and gaining 257 yards rushing.

With the re-emphasis on running, three players who surpassed 100 yards on the ground Sunday will take on added importance for their teams: Atlanta's Michael Turner, Chicago's Forte and the Jets' Greene.

Turner has rushed down this road before and is an established star. Forte, in a bitter contract impasse with the Bears, needs to be special because the quarterbacking and receiving are unpredictable. And, of course, they play in Chicago, where Soldier Field is anything but a passer's paradise late in the season.

Greene, who went for 112 yards in New York's 27-21 win over San Diego and was particularly effective in the second half when the Jets rallied, is a key to the team's "ground and pound" philosophy. If the offensive line gets its act together, it is one of the more formidable blocking units around. Greene needs to capitalize on their work.

"Now this, it came together for the most part," Jets guard Brandon Moore said of the running game.

"We're just kind of streaming along, staying with that physical attack and style on offense, getting downhill runs . and moving people off the ball."

Some of the guys who will be toting the ball came into the season as backups or backups to the backups. Tim Hightower's left knee buckled in Washington's loss to Carolina and rookie Roy Helu takes over with Hightower gone for the season. Darren McFadden, the league's leading rusher, went down against Kansas City and his sub in Oakland, Michael Bush, isn't an every-down back, meaning speedy rookie Taiwan Jones could see some time.

Seattle's Marshawn Lynch is having back issues and Justin Forsett is one of his replacements.

Tampa Bay's Earnest Graham, a solid and versatile back who was filling in for LeGarrette Blount (left knee) left the loss to Chicago in London with a right ankle problem. Next up for Tampa: Kregg Lumpkin.

At least Denver has a former starter to take over for Willis McGahee if his broken right hand sidelines him. Then again, Knowshon Moreno has been a disappointment, which could lead to Lance Ball getting the ball.

Regardless, considering the weather hasn't even gotten bad anywhere in the NFL, running backs will be prominent the rest of the way, especially when the elements become a factor.

Darrelle Revis flap with Mike Francesa on WFAN heats up as Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton jump in

Bob Raissman

Like a sinking ship taking on water, this Mike (Sports Pope) Francesa-Darrelle Revis flap is adding more characters to its cast. And we ain't talking bit players.

On Sunday, in a stunning nationally televised performance, CBS' Phil Simms, a couple of hours after his regular appearance with the pontiff on WFAN, dared to disagree with Francesa's contention Revis "mugged" Brandon Marshall before intercepting a pass and running 100 yards to score against Miami.

Francesa is the guy who said "no one in the world" thought Revis wasn't guilty of committing pass interference on the play. Simms should either book a flight to Mars or prepare to be excommunicated by the Pope. Then again Monday, Francesa backtracked, saying there could be disagreements on pass interference calls.

Jim Nantz, Simms' partner and a Francesa confidante, got into the act Sunday, setting off a side skirmish with the Pope's radio "brothers" Norman Julius Esiason and Craig Cartoon. The plot is more twisted because Esiason works on CBS' "The NFL Today." He's on the same "team" as Nantz.

Francesa never got into an in-depth Revis discussion with Simms on FAN. It was Nantz who opened the door during the second quarter of Chargers-Jets. Nantz asked Simms what he thought of Revis' play on Marshall. CBS replayed the interception.

"Darrelle Revis has position so you're allowed to do that. Was there contact after five yards? Yes," Simms said. "But in the context of that game. ... It was not a penalty because before that Brandon Marshall lined up a few times and just ran right into Revis, almost knocked him over and caught the football, so they were allowed a lot of contact down the field. Revis took advantage of it."

Soon after, Nantz verbally kissed the Pope's tuchis.

"At the end of the week he (Revis) goes on the radio here with the No. 1 sports talk host in New York, Mike Francesa," Nantz said. He added when Revis, at the behest of Jets PR man Jared Winley, hung up on Francesa "it became an extra big story."

Simms had a different opinion, saying: "I think in the whole context it means nothing. And I think Revis' point was well-taken by me. There was no flag."

Phil Simms, a CBS NFL analyst, proves Mike Francesa wrong Sunday saying he didn't think Darrelle Revis' (above) interception last Monday night was pass interference. Guess at least one person in the world thinks it's a clean play.

Monday morning, Esiason and Cartoon (mostly) blasted Nantz for anointing Francesa the "No. 1 sports talk host in New York." Their implication was clear: When it comes to the ratings department at WFAN they are the kings. Tuesday on their show they should reveal exaxcly what their ratings are compared to the Pope's.

Cartoon whipped up on Francesa saying he had a premeditated "agenda" to stir the pot with Revis for the sake of bringing attention to himself and his show.

"I don't really care what he thinks," Francesa said Monday on his program.

With the Jets on a bye week, the plot might thicken, unless Rex Ryan decides to feed the media seals fresh meat.

And don't be surprised if Francesa and Revis have a telephone reunion.

Not everyone finds the Revis/Francesa story intriguing.

ESPN-1050 has all but ignored it.

Maybe it's a competition thing.

Or maybe, as a radio mole said: "They (ESPN-1050) brass think it's more a publicity stunt than legitimate news."

On "Fox NFL Sunday," Jimmy Johnson identified who really is to blame for last week's Jim Harbaugh/Jim Schwartz handshake fiasco.

"The media," Johnson said, "has made more of this than what it should."

Guess when it comes to the media Johnson falls somewhere between the cracks. Anyway, it wasn't a good day for Johnson. At one point in the show Curt (Big House) Menefee referred to him as "Lee Corso."

It's very hard to offend SportsNet New York football analyst Ray Lucas.

But when SNY aired video of Ryan's postgame spiel for the second time, where the coach was standing next to a player wearing only a towel, Lucas couldn't take any more.

"Whoever keeps bringing this tape up, stop," Lucas said. "I don't want to keep looking at that mammoth."

Could've been worse. Lucas could've been forced to watch video of the cast of "Loudmouths" clad only in towels.

When he's not calling out injured Giants for not playing, Fox's Michael Strahan is quite a pitchman.

On the pregame show, the topic of his editorial was supposed to be about the Harbaugh/Schwartz handshake.

Strahan turned it into a commercial for Fox's upcoming UFC coverage. His mission was accomplished. Unfortunately his second mission, issuing funny commentary, didn't work out so well.

At least Strahan didn't resort to using sight gags - like NBC's Peter King. On his "Football Night In America" segment, King's holding a Blackberry or IPhone or whatever. This is supposed to make it look like someone important will be calling any second. Spies say King actually is waiting for the restaurant to call confirming Tony Dungy's dinner order.

twitter.com/nydnraiss

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/24/2011-10-24_francesa_wfan_morning_team_in_war_of_words.html#ixzz1bjr9n6ze

Archived