Q & A With Ricky Sapp

flgreen

Jets summer Q&A with Jets linebacker Ricky Sapp

Published: Friday, June 29, 2012, 10:00 AM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

11228536-large.jpgCourtesy of newyorkjets.comRicky Sapp is hoping his speed and pass-rush skills will give him the chance to contribute to the Jets.

Ricky Sapp spent several weeks last season on the Jets' practice squad before being promoted to the 53-man roster in Week 17. Originally a fifth-round pick by the Eagles out of Clemson in 2010, he suffered a knee injury before his rookie season and was waived by Philly last August. He is a fast player who amassed 17.5 career sacks at Clemson, and he's now trying to carve out a role in the Jets defense.

What are your personal goals for this season?

One of my biggest goals is to contribute to the team as fast as possible. And just to fit in wherever I can, wherever I can help. The biggest thing (I've been working on) is technique. This is my first year in this defense, and the biggest thing I have been doing is just learning the defense as much as possible. Detailing my notes and my work, and just working on my pass rush and also on my coverage.

Do you feel ready to take on a bigger role?

I think so. I think with Calvin (Pace) and BT (Bryan Thomas) and those guys, and me learning from those guys, and picking up what they have been doing, I think I can definitely step up and help out.

What do you bring to the defense?

Well, of course I bring speed. I’m a speed guy, and I’m a pass rusher. So, definitely I think I bring those two things to the table.

What are your plans for the summer?

I definitely want to put on a little bit of muscle, because I want to be able to play both the run and the pass. I don’t want to be one situational guy where I just rush the passer, so two of the things I want to work on is putting on a little bit of muscle and also just working on my drops, my coverages. I’m going to go back to my school, Clemson, work with the guys. Right now, I’m a good weight, I’m 255. I want to come in at 260, to see how I feel, but I think 255 will be a good playing weight.

Archived