Revis not optimistic a trade happens

Pac

If that really is the offer Idzik needs to take it and run.   He could literally rebuild the entire franchise in 2 seasons.     

I think so.  If they really have it in mind to not re-sign him, then it's a good haul for a player basically with no contract (has a contract with 1 year left, but it'll get redone as a condition of the trade with a lot more than $3-6M for 2013).  If they really might extend him - which seems unlikely since they reportedly haven't had any such talks - then I can see waiting it out a little.  But the problem is we could end up with nothing more than 1 more year of Revis, followed by a giant amount of dead cap space in 2014, and then basically the #1 pick in round 4 in 2015 ("3rd round" compensatory pick).

We'll see.  Maybe it's just because I don't see anyone so compelling at #13 weeks before the draft that we should be holding out for that instead of TB's #1 a year later (which may yield a superior player anyway).  In future years someone from the '13 draft may seem obvious in hindsight, and better than who we could have gotten with their '14 pick, but we're not there today.  Today we have Revis for 1 more year, an owner who doesn't seem to want to re-sign him (or a player who is unlikely to sign an extension for the dollars the team would pay), and an offer on the table.  

After the draft, if TB takes a CB early who they're in love with, that offer may very well go away, and then we have nothing other than a terrible negotiating position with a (likely) now disgruntled player.  I still think they could get something done even in that case, because Revis doesn't want to risk playing out the year for $3M salary plus $3M bonus.

Archived