Cimini: Coming Up For the Jets

flgreen

Coming up for the Jets

June, 17, 2013
Jun 17

11:02

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The offseason came to an unofficial end last Thursday with the conclusion of the mandatory minicamp. The Jets report July 25 to Cortland. So what happens between now and then? Because they're the Jets, something unexpected will happen. For now, a look at some items on the agenda:

1. Unsigned draft picks: Three of the seven choices remain without contracts -- CB Dee Milliner (first round), DT Sheldon Richardson (first) and QB Geno Smith (second). GM John Idzik said last week he expects to have them all signed by training camp.

With a rookie wage scale in the CBA, negotiations should be straightforward, although the question of whether to include offset language could be an issue with Milliner and Richardson. Around the league, only eight first-round picks have signed; 23 second-round picks have signed. Smith negotiation's could be complicated by the fact that his representation, Roc Nation Sports, is being investigated by the NFLPA. Idzik, however, said "nothing is standing in the way" of completing a deal.

Al Pereira/Getty ImagesWhat is the target date for getting Santonio Holmes back in uniform? Depends on who you ask.

2. Free-agent market: At this point on the calendar, teams are generally pleased with their rosters and will wait for training camp to unfold before addressing needs. The Jets have a few glaring needs, namely wide receiver. The most attractive free agent is Brandon Lloyd, but he has a reputation for being a problem child. He has played for six teams in 11 years. He got cut by the Patriots, a team that needs receivers, despite 74 catches for 911 yards last season. The thin free-agent market also includes Austin Collie, Laurent Robinson, Braylon Edwards, Steve Breaston and Randy Moss.

3. Tone's time alone: WR Santonio Holmes, recovering from LisFranc foot surgery, said he will remain at the Jets' facility during the hiatus to rehab his injury. In all likelihood, he will begin training camp on the physically unable-to-perform list. Holmes said his "target date" is to be ready for camp, but the organization's target date is Week 1. Holmes knows he's playing for a contract in 2014 (we're assuming he'll be a cap casualty), so you can bet he won't come back until he's convinced he won't re-injure the foot. His rate of recovery likely will impact whether the Jets decide to acquire another veteran.

4. The Goodson situation: The Mike Goodson case was forwarded last week to a grand jury for possible indictment on drug and weapons charges, but prosecuting attorney Peter Foy said he will "continue to speak with counsel about resolving this prior to grand jury" -- meaning a possible plea deal. Obviously, the Jets would like to have a resolution as soon as possible so they could execute a contingency plan, if necessary. They're counting on Goodson to be a significant contributor in their rebuilt backfield.

5. Jets West: Mark Sanchez is planning to hold his annual players-only passing camp in Mission Viejo, Calif. The only question is whether Geno Smith attends. The weeklong event isn't open to the media. How do I feel about that? No comment.

i guess we know what will be next year 1st round pick WR!!!!!

You would hope so, but then again, that's what I was hoping for this year too and they completely ignored wide receiver, not even drafting one in later rounds.

I pray they'll take an offensive playmaker in the 1st next year. If they're picking too high to get good value, then I hope they trade down. Bottom line is they better be targeting the best wide receiver and the best tight end.

Idzik has talked about using the draft to take the best talent regardless of position and using free agency to target players based on need. But right now, our offensive woes are such that we're probably going to have to go with need next year in the draft.

we are rebuilding we started from the inside out. next will be wr and TE then OLB,

You would hope so, but then again, that's what I was hoping for this year too and they completely ignored wide receiver, not even drafting one in later rounds.

I pray they'll take an offensive playmaker in the 1st next year. If they're picking too high to get good value, then I hope they trade down. Bottom line is they better be targeting the best wide receiver and the best tight end.

Idzik has talked about using the draft to take the best talent regardless of position and using free agency to target players based on need. But right now, our offensive woes are such that we're probably going to have to go with need next year in the draft.

i guess we know what will be next year 1st round pick WR!!!!!

Not necessarily.  If Smith doesn't give every indication that he will be their QB of the future, they could grab a QB.  Similarly, if Jadaveon Clowney is setting there at the Jets' pick, how could they not take him (unless it was to take a QB)?  Taking a WR with your #1 pick is very risky.  They have a high bust potential.  If you take a WR #1, you'd better be pretty darned sure that he's at least a Jeremy Maclin, if not a Megatron.

If Smith does prove to be the answer at QB, then I'm sure that WR will be high on their wish list, but with a lot of cap space they could possibly sign a FA or trade, although it's pretty rare that a topflight WR becomes available via FA.  With Idzik's penchant for taking BAP, unless there's a WR the Jets have rated as the top player on their board at their pick, then I think the chances of their taking one with their first pick are pretty slim.

true how does next years class look like at WR?

Not necessarily.  If Smith doesn't give every indication that he will be their QB of the future, they could grab a QB.  Similarly, if Jadaveon Clowney is setting there at the Jets' pick, how could they not take him (unless it was to take a QB)?  Taking a WR with your #1 pick is very risky.  They have a high bust potential.  If you take a WR #1, you'd better be pretty darned sure that he's at least a Jeremy Maclin, if not a Megatron.

If Smith does prove to be the answer at QB, then I'm sure that WR will be high on their wish list, but with a lot of cap space they could possibly sign a FA or trade, although it's pretty rare that a topflight WR becomes available via FA.  With Idzik's penchant for taking BAP, unless there's a WR the Jets have rated as the top player on their board at their pick, then I think the chances of their taking one with their first pick are pretty slim.

Archived