Ivory Shows Some Quickness in Practice

flgreen

NY Jets running back Chris Ivory shows some quickness in first practices

Ivory, had previously said he would play Saturday against the Jaguars in the second preseason game, but on Tuesday backed off that a bit.

By Seth Walder  / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 12:28 AM.

Rich Schultz/AP

Known more as a power back, Chris Ivory flashes some speed in his first practices with the Jets.

CORTLAND — Chris Ivory is known mostly as a power back, but the Jet has flashed something else in his first two days of full practice after returning from a hamstring strain: quickness.

“He is a power guy . . . but he has good speed to step around people,” running backs coach Anthony Lynn said. “He’s looked quick. He’s had a few weeks off, fresh legs, I figured he would. Mentally he’s just been with things. . . . and I’m pleased to see that some of that has carried over to the field.”

“A lot of people try to put you in a category,” Ivory said. “I’m not just a power back, I can do everything. But you’ll just have to see when the time comes.”

Ivory, had previously said he would play Saturday against the Jaguars in the second preseason game, but on Tuesday backed off that a bit.

The running back called playing Saturday a “possibility.”

BOO WHO?

Mark Sanchez was booed at a free intrasquad scrimmage in Cortland earlier this preseason. On Saturday, he will play at MetLife Stadium for the first time since last season, and could be booed on a much grander scale. Rex Ryan said he would never tell the fans what to do, but hoped that Sanchez wouldn’t be booed during a preseason game.

RELATED: MARK OR GENO? REX STILL HASN'T PICKED JETS STARTER

“If you want to boo whoever it is, our fans certainly have that right,” Ryan said. “To me, yeah, I absolutely hope that doesn’t happen. I hope that everybody is behind us 100%. When things go wrong, I certainly understand it. There’s going to be criticism and things like that, but to start with, I would hope that our fans are behind us all the way.”

Meanwhile, Ryan said the offensive coaches have worked hard to try to keep Sanchez from making the type of mistake he made Friday, when he threw a brutal interception.

“Obviously you don’t need to throw that ball. Where his eyes were at? We have to fix that,” Ryan said.

WVU COACH: GENO A LEADER

West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen said he wasn’t referring to Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith when he said his team lacked leadership last season.

“Geno was one of the only real leaders we had on the team in 2012,” Holgorsen told CBS. “People in media are trying to read between the lines or add two plus two and they’re wrong.”

NOT MCKNIGHT’S DAY

Joe McKnight did not practice with a head injury, a day after he struggled to walk onto the practice field and apparently threatened a fan he had mistaken for a reporter on Twitter. The Jets would not disclose further information about Mc-Knight’s condition or say whether he was disciplined for the fan incident.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-insider-ivory-fast-track-article-1.1426239#ixzz2bxF0l8UN

Archived