Palladino: Going With Smith Will Finish Rex

flgreen

I think Rex's leash is longer than many think.  Barring a complete meltdown I'm not sure how keen Idzik would be on giving his 2nd year QB a new OC and system to learn -- especially if he's showing progress.  Why feed into the stigma that the Jets do a terrible job of grooming QB's?

I don't really see a scenario where they promote MM and fire Rex.

You could be right.

With regard to giving his 2nd year QB a new OC and system to learn, that depends upon a couple of things.  One, if it is to be any real concern, then that depends upon Smith proving that he is their QB of the future.  If he flops or shows he isn't ready, that probably won't be much of a concern to Idzik. Two, just because Idzik fires Rex, doesn't mean that Mornhinweg would necessarily be promoted or fired.  He could hire a new HC and unless that HC was an OC and/or has major problems with Mornhinweg, the WCO or just wants to bring in his own guy, the best thing would be to keep the same OC and offensive system.  Even if they decided to not retain Mornhinweg, as long as they kept a WCO, it shouldn't be a problem.  That has been the big problem with lack of consistency for the Jets...constantly switching systems.  

Defensively, as long as it isn't the Tampa Bay 4-3 D (and even then with Richardson, they  could be fine), they could stay with a flexible system or go strictly 4-3 or 3-4.

the first topic seems like speculation, I bet you won't find any on the record quotes on that

By speculation are you referring to Rex being part of the interview process for a new GM?  If so, instead of the article I previously posted in another thread, here is JetNations's own Dennis Agapito and his coverage of the Woody-Rex press conference Jan. 8:

Q: Will the new general manager having full autonomy and is one of the conditions of hiring a new GM is to accept Ryan as the head coach?

Johnson: “It was, I believe in Rex, I’ve always been with head coaches I’m part of that search and so the relationship between the head coach and the owner is critical.  The relationship with the head coach and the GM is also critical that is why Rex is part of this and he’ll get to know the general manager as soon as we (follow-up question: is Rex part of the process?) Rex will be part of the process (selecting a new GM). ”

http://www.jetnation.com/2013/01/08/ny-jets-woodyjohnson-and-rex-ryan-answering-media-questions/

Archived