Goodson hopes to provide a spark.

joewilly12

Goodson Hopes to Provide a Spark

Florham Park, N.J.- With both Santonio Holmes (hamstring) and Stephen Hill (concussion) leaving yesterday’s game with injuries and the possibility that one or both of the receivers won’t be able to play this Monday night against the Falcons, the Jets need some sort of spark from someone else on the roster and after completing his four-game suspension Mike Goodson hopes to be that spark.

Goodson was one of John Idzik’s first free-agent signings, but before he was able to contribute to the team Goodson was arrested and suspended for the first four games of the season. During his suspension Goodson made sure to focus on learning the playbook and getting into football shape and he had no interest in taking about his legal issues.

When John Idzik signed Mike Goodson he was hoping to get an electric play-maker with game-breaking ability. After serving his four week suspension Goodson hopes to provide that spark Idzik was looking for.

“For these past four games I’ve kind of just been focusing on football and learning the playbook and even more so getting into the playbook and working out.” Goodson said when asked about how he spent the past four weeks. “So, I’ve been more on that type of stuff.”

Goodson said he’s been on a strict workout and eating schedule designed to keep him in as close to game shape as possible. He’s been running and working out twice a day and sticking to a regimented diet.

“I feel good.” Goodson said, “I’m healthy, strong, fast and ready to play.”

With fast being the operative word.

Goodson adds a dimension of electric speed that this offense doesn’t have without him. The Jets can use his speed on runs up the middle, bounce him outside, or as a receiver on screens, and in the slot, as well as a punt/kick returner.

Bilal Powell has done a phenomenal job (currently tied with Arian Foster as the AFC’s rushing leader with 292 yards) as the lead back for the Jets this year, but Goodson offers potential game-breaking ability from the backfield that Idzik was hoping to get when he signed him.

“Words can’t even express how excited I am.” Goodson said, “Just to be able to be back out there, we just had a walkthrough, to be back out there with my teammates and just watching them go through a walkthrough. Being able to be out there was cool.”

As excited as Goodson is to return and as much as he prepared himself to stay in shape Goodson knows there’s nothing that can get you in football shape quite like playing football.

“I think the stuff that I was doing was pretty applicable, I would say, it’s nothing like football though.” Goodson said. “To be out there, running and doing stuff like that, it’s nothing like being in football shape. So, going through a week of practice I think I’ll be ready.”

Goodson said he’s not sure what the Jets have planned for him as far as snap counts or kick returns for this week’s game against the Falcons, but promised, “Whatever they got, I’m ready for it.”

With the Jets struggling to avoid penalties and turnovers they could certainly use an injection of fresh, hungry energy and if that energy happens to come with blazing speed, all the better. The Jets defense can’t win all the games by themselves, the Jets need a spark on offense and that’s precisely what Goodson hopes to provide.

“Just a spark, hopefully a spark.” Goodson said, “Wherever they choose to place me, wherever they choose to put me in at, just bring a spark.”

With Hill and Holmes out and the WR corps reduced from mediocre to craps the best way to pass is to have both Powel and Godson both good catching receivers out of the backfield running routes against LB and then sends the garbage WR Gates, Spadola and Obamanu as decoy running like chicken without head down the field. 

Why wont Idzik and Rex Ryan address Obamanu and Gates? 

Probably because they have bigger plans going into next year. Don't waste your breath on this everyone knows our skill positions suck ass and will continue to suck  until a real effort is put into drafting explosive players and making a nice pick up here and there via free agency to fill the holes.

Archived