LB Jeremiah George

joewilly12

Jets draft Iowa State LB Jeremiah George in 5th round

With their only fifth round pick the Jets drafted inside linebacker, Jeremiah George, from Iowa State.

George is 5′11 1/4″, 234 lbs, and ran an average (for linebackers) 40 of 4.91. He has 33 1/4″ arm length, put up an impressive 28 reps in the bench (worst for linebackers was 18, 30 was the most), has an average vertical jump 33″ and an above average broad jump at 116″. (Worst was 108″ and best 120″.)

jgeorge_draft.jpeg

Jets 5th round pick LB Jeremiah George had 133 tackles for Iowa State last fall.

Yes, I’m listing all of his measure-ables because I don’t know much about him. According to reports George is an undersized backer, but has excellent instincts and plus range. He has some versatility and will be able to contribute on special teams immediately.

George was a team captain in 2013 and is said to be a vocal leader who will work hard and challenge teammates.

Draftinsider.net’s Tony Pauline (http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2014/ILB/Jeremiah-George)%C2'>

According to Pauline George’s strengths are, “Two-year starter who lead Iowa State with 133 tackles last season. Also registered 12 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks. Junior totals included 87 tackles in nine starts. Small pursuit linebacker who chases hard to make plays. Instinctive, quickly finds the ball, and scrapes well laterally. Plays sideline to sideline, quick getting outside the box in pursuit, and fires though gaps in run defense. Plays faster than his 40-time, fearless, and plays with reckless abandon. Sells out on the blitz, covers a good amount of area, and cuts off the corners from runners.”

Pauline lists George’s weaknesses as, “Not a stout tackler as runners pick up yardage off initial contact. Overmatched by tight ends.”
Pauline adds that, “George took off at an incredible rate the past two seasons and has enough skill to line up on the inside of a 3-4 alignment in the NFL. He plays with a special teams mentality, which is added value.”
Over the next few days I will dig into all the tape on George, Dozier and whoever else the Jets draft that I haven’t watched enough of and report back my findings in detail.
The draft is currently in the sixth round, the Jets have four more picks in the sixth (19th, 33rd, 34th and 37th) and one left in the seventh (18th) to close out the draft.

Archived