Santonio Holmes...

kelly

just an fyi...

~ ~    How about this gem  ?

Ex-Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes, a free agent who is (apparently desperately) looking for a team, recently did an interview with Sports Illustrated in which he actually said the following :

"It baffles me a little, to know that I'm not a part of any organization. It's a gift and a curse at the same time. I say that because the gift of playing, an opportunity to be a figure in the National Football League, I enjoyed my time. And the curse of having one injury in my entire career, that people are now looking at me as if Santonio Holmes is not the guy anymore. I think the opportunity just has to come, in a better situation for me. We will see."

He's baffled? Really?

Look, no player in the twilight of his career wants to admit he has reached the end. All of these guys -- whether you like their personalties or not -- got to this point in football due to tons of pride and hard work. None of them landed in the NFL by not believing in themselves. It's part of their makeup, especially for Holmes, who has thrived at times during his career by adopting a "me against the world" mentality.But let's examine a few factual things about Holmes. He just turned 31. OK, not that old, but no spring chicken. In 2012 with the Jets, a serious mid-foot fracture limited him to just four games. He dealt with a hamstring injury in 2013 and was limited to 23 catches in 11 games. He played nine games with the Bears last season and made eight catches on 14 targets. That's not exactly superb production over the past three seasons.

There's also the (not small) matter of Holmes being a disruptive teammate, as he most notably was in the 2011 season finale with the Jets. He argued with right tackle Wayne Hunter in the huddle, after teammates called out his lackluster effort, and Holmes was benched for the remainder of that game in Miami.Holmes had plenty of glory days in the NFL, and it's good to hear him say he enjoyed that. His first four years in the NFL, with the Steelers, he averaged 959 yards per season, including a 1,248-yard season in 2009. He was the MVP of the Steelers' Super Bowl win after the 2008 season. His first year with the Jets, 2010, he helped them reach the AFC Championship Game by accumulating 746 receiving yards.

Holmes got nine years in the NFL, during which he made 389 catches for 6,030 yards and 36 touchdowns. That's a darn fine career, and one to be proud of. But unless a team decides to take a low-cost flyer on him for training camp this summer, he's probably done.

Here is video of Holmes's interview with SI:

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/03/why_is_ex-jets_receiver_santonio_holmes_so_surpris.html

Archived