~ ~ Off - Season workouts dates ~ ~

kelly

The NFL on Thursday announced the offseason workouts dates for all of its teams.

Here's a look at the Jets' dates :

• First day: April 6
• Voluntary minicamp: April 28-30
• Organized team activities: May 19-21, May 26-28, June 2-5
• Mandatory minicamp: June 9-11

The start date for Jets training camp hasn't been set yet, but we already know that it will be at their facility in Florham Park, rather than in Cortland, N.Y., again.

Here's a look at all of the NFL offseason workouts dates.

According to the collective bargaining agreement, every team's nine-week offseason program has three phases. The nine-week program is technically voluntary, but almost all players participate.

Phase 1 is the first two weeks. Activities are limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation.

Phase 2 covers the next three weeks. On-field workouts may include individual player instruction and drills, plus team practice conducted on a "separates" basis. No live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted.

Phase 3 covers the final four weeks. Teams may conduct a total of 10 days of organized team practice activities. No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are allowed.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/04/jets_2015_offseason_workouts_dates_announced.html

W2W4 : Todd Bowles debuts with start of Jets' offseason program

Two months after getting the job, Todd Bowles finally can coach his team.

On Monday, the New York Jets open their offseason program. It's voluntary (wink, wink) and runs for 10 weeks, concluding with the mandatory minicamp (June 9-11). New coaches are allowed to start two weeks earlier than the rest, so Bowles -- hired to replace Rex Ryan after a disastrous 4-12 season -- gets extra time with his new team. The program also includes a voluntary minicamp (April 28-30) and 10 practices.

A few storylines :

1. Tough act to follow : Even though Ryan didn't get it done on the field the last few years, he was enormously popular in the locker room. Bowles will step in front of the old Ryan loyalists for the first time, trying to re-create the team in his image. Like Ryan, he's regarded as a player-friendly coach, but Bowles has a sharper edge than his predecessor. He wants to set a new tone, emphasizing accountability and proving he's more than just a defensive coach. The team building starts now."Chemistry is the most important thing," Bowles said. "I don’t care how much talent you have, if you can’t get your guys to play together, you’re not going to win in this league. And there are so many different personalities in the locker room and on the coaching staff, you have to do a good job of balancing and juggling and knowing when to yell, when to scream, when to console, when to confide. You have to get a feel for those things, but a lot of that is on-the-job training. You never get a knack for it. You just work at it."

2. Hit the playbooks : For the first time since 2009, Ryan's first year, the Jets have to learn a new defensive system. Bowles' scheme has many of the same concepts as the Ryan way -- aggressive fronts, with man-to-man coverage in the secondary -- but it has different terminology. Offensively, it's their fourth system in five years. The focus will be on quarterback Geno Smith and how quickly he can absorb Chan Gailey's playbook. Bowles has been curiously evasive on the Xs and Os. Gailey ran a spread in his previous stop, the Buffalo Bills, and the expectation is that he will incorporate spread elements into the Jets' offense.

3. Quarterback competition : It'll have to wait until training camp, as veteran newcomer Ryan Fitzpatrick still is recovering from a broken leg he suffered last December with the Houston Texans. If he does anything in the spring, it will be on a limited basis. As a result, Smith and Matt Simms will receive the bulk of the practice reps. Bowles said he'd like to add a fourth quarterback, not specifying whether it'll be a rookie (Marcus Mariota?) or a veteran. If it's the latter, it'll likely be a camp arm to ease the stress on Smith and Simms.

4. Maccagnan's army : New general manager Mike Maccagnan has added 13 new players, headlined by new/old cornerbacks, Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie. The other marquee newcomer is Brandon Marshall. We're talking about some strong personalities here, so it'll be fascinating to see how they blend together.

5. On the mend : Cornerbacks Dee Milliner (Achilles' tendon) and Dexter McDougle (knee), wide receiver Shaq Evans (shoulder) and guard Brian Winters (knee) are returning from surgery, so they likely will be limited in the spring. In Milliner's case, he might not be ready until training camp, but he doesn't have to be rushed back because of the Revis, Cromartie and Buster Skrine additions.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/50408/w2w4-todd-bowles-debuts-with-start-of-jets-off-season-program

Jets Return to Begin 'Chemistry Classes'

Players Talk of Building Bonds, Pryor of His New Role on First Day of Voluntary Offseason Program

It was day one of Phase I of the Jets' offseason strength and conditioning program today at the Atlantic Health Training Center."The first day of school," DT Sheldon Richardsonicon-article-link.gif said with a smile. "Syllabus week, really."And the most important class in the syllabus at this time of year  ? Not even close.

Chemistry.

"It's good we have all the guys back so we can build that chemistry," second-year S Calvin Pryoricon-article-link.gif told Eric Allen on Jets Talk Live. "I just love the energy in this building. It's a fresh start. We're trying not to think about the past. We're just trying to move forward."

"It's about working out, developing the chemistry with the guys and getting to know your new teammates," said QB Geno Smithicon-article-link.gif. "We've got a bunch of great additions and also some new coaches and really some new faces in this building."

Todd Bowles Them Over

Many of those new faces have arrived during the free agency signing period, and as for the new coaches, head coach Todd Bowles and his staff have been around since January and have introduced themselves to Jets new and old since then. But today was the first day Bowles stood in front of the auditorium and said more than hello to the assembled Green & White."I'm excited," C Nick Mangoldicon-article-link.gif told reporters on an afternoon conference call. "You get to see him up in front of the team this morning, he's got great passion. I'm really excited about him being the head coach, about his vision for the team. And I'm excited as we get going to continue to see how he goes about doing things, how he runs his meetings and runs practices. It's going to be a fun offseason.""He's a quiet guy but most definitely strong-minded," said Richardson. "To the team, he speaks his mind. He's a little different with the media. But he's most definitely a guy that I can get to like."

Pryor's New Engagement

Pryor had some interesting positional news for EA and Jets fans in today's interview."They already told me what my role will be. I'm going to be strong safety. I'm not going to be playing free anymore," he said. "So I'm going to be back to my old self, doing what I do, being down in the box."Pryor, a.k.a. "the Louisville Slugger" for his hard-hitting box play in college that earned him a first-round call from the Jets, said he played more free than he anticipated last season. Even though he acknowledged playing more in space helped him with his pro development, it also led to what he said was a "more bad than good" first NFL season."I was placed in some positions that in college I wouldn't normally do," he said, adding that today's news from the staff "was music to my ears. That made my day go better. I'm definitely enjoying it."

State of 'The Competition'

Smith and others were asked about the quarterback competition, which won't pick up until Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif returns from rehab for the left tibia he broke during a scramble at Indianapolis on Dec. 14."Ryan is a very smart guy," Geno said. "Obviously he's played in this system before, he's played a number of years in the league. He's a guy I feel I'll be able to have conversations with about some of the things he's done in the past with this offense. I appreciate having a guy like that on our side, a smart guy like that, who can come in and compete with me."Mangold said he didn't know how the completion will play out, which is only natural with Matt Simmsicon-article-link.gif on hand but Fitzpatrick still sidelined and a fourth QB that Bowles and GM Mike Maccagnan discussed on the recent call with Season Ticket Holders still not identified yet."But there's definitely a ton of potential there," Mangold said of Smith. "He's going to put the work in there this spring, as I expect him to. And we'll let it all play out."

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Jets-Return-to-Begin-Chemistry-Classes/e9a47ce6-6965-439a-a9c8-51326832e9f9

Archived