Eagles could be without 3 defensive starters against Jets

rick34125

Eagles DE Cedric Thornton breaks hand, to miss Jets game

Phil Sheridan, ESPN Staff Writer

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Eagles will likely be without defensive end Cedric Thornton, who broke a bone in his right hand, when they play the New York Jets Sunday.

Thornton, 27, said he broke the bone in the first half of Sunday’s loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

“I played through the game,” Thornton said Tuesday. “It hurts. It’s broken, so it hurts. I broke my left hand in high school, so I knew right away that it was broken.”

With inside linebackers Kiko Alonso and Mychal Kendricks injured, the Eagles could be without three defensive starters against the Jets.

Taylor Hart, the second-year player from Oregon, would likely start in Thornton’s place. But Hart missed Tuesday’s practice session with an injury to his right shoulder. His status for Sunday is unknown.

Thornton, signed as an undrafted rookie in 2011, has emerged as a key player in the Eagles’ run defense. He has started every game since Chip Kelly became head coach in 2013.

Thornton wasn’t sure which play he was injured on, only that it happened in the first half.

“There’s a lot of emotion, a lot of adrenalin going on in the game,” Thornton said. “I went in at halftime and I started to feel it a little bit. That’s when I really felt the effect, in the third quarter. I probably looked pretty bad in the third and fourth quarter.”

Thornton could be back as early as the Oct. 4 game at Washington. He said he wasn’t given a timetable, but he would wear a wrap, or “club,” on the hand if needed.

I expect to see a lot of the dynamic duo on Sunday.

Archived