This should put an end to the Coin Flip Conspiracy Crap!

32EBoozer

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/28/brady-on-coin-flip-if-offense-was-playing-better-decision-would-be-different/

Brady on coin flip: If offense was playing better, decision would be different

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - DECEMBER 27:  Tom Brady #12 of the New England Patriots looks to throw a pass in the first quarter against the New York Jets during their game at MetLife Stadium on December 27, 2015 in East Rutherford, New Jersey.  (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)Getty Images

Patriots coach Bill Belichick elected to kick off to start overtime on Sunday afternoon, giving the ball to the Jets rather than quarterback Tom Brady at a moment when a Jets touchdown would end the game without the Patriots having a chance to answer.

It’s not the first time Belichick has made that choice, he did the same in a 2013 game against the Broncos, and it isn’t a call that rankled Brady. Brady pointed out that the offense had not played well against the Jets. The Patriots neither scored a touchdown nor converted a third down until the fourth quarter, which left Brady with no argument against Belichick’s decision.

“No, I’m not offended at all,” Brady said on “Dennis & Callahan” on WEEI. “We had a situation in Denver this year where we got the ball and we didn’t do anything with it. We kicked it to them on a short field. Like I said, we haven’t exactly inspired our coach to throw our offense out there to say, ‘Go score a touchdown and win the game.’ So I don’t blame him. If we were playing a lot better offensively I’m sure his decision would have been different. But if we’re not doing much as an offense, that’s just the way it goes. We had plenty of other opportunities for us to go out there and do something, get the ball, score points, get it in the end zone. You’re right, we did put it together there the last drive of [regulation]. But that was our only real scoring drive of the day.”

It was a rough day for Brady and the offense, which had to deal with both a strong Jets defense and the loss of left tackle Sebastian Vollmer from a unit already dealing with a lot of missing pieces. They hope to have those pieces back by the time they play their first playoff game in the divisional round and Sunday’s performance was an illustration of why they need them.

Archived