2016-A General Approach

varjet

The Jets are in an interesting spot for 2016.  They are not rebuilding, but they have gaping holes in their roster.  Many of the players that they have who perform anywhere from ok to very good (if not great) are north of 30.  

Thus, if I were the Jets Brain Trust, I would err slightly on the side of pushing problems down the road to make sure the team can compete for a playoff spot in 2016, but not too much such that the future is mortgaged.  It is a fine balance, but not that different from the position Tannenbaum was when the Jets built themselves up for their last playoff run.

In general they should be keeping draft picks to continue to build out the roster.  When in doubt, they should err on the side of younger players.  I think they should also value loyalty/good behavior.   So, based on that, in brief:

QB-resign Fitz to a contract that is longer than it should be-he will the back up later on. Thus, we can guarantee him the money he wants but push the cap cost out.   Hopefully, when he is the backup, the starter is on a rookie deal and less expensive.  For 2016, Geno is a good a backup as any.  if a QB presents himself in the draft, they must take him, and then Geno can be cut and they can go with Fitz, Petty and newbie.  They should consider extending Petty in return for a commitment to develop him.

RB-offer Powell and Ivory very fair deals, and do with the first one who bites, and scour FAs.  Draft at least one in first three rounds.   This offense needs RBs.

WR-it would be nice if they can find one to develop in the mid-rounds.  Marshall and Decker will need to be replaced in 2-3 years.  Redshirt Devin Smith so he can actually contribute in 2017 while the veterans winddown.

TE-if Amaro does not have his act together, cut him.  Continue to search for/draft.  Replace Cumberland/Davis-its worth the gamble.

OL-restructure Mangold and Brick.  Put Mangold on a diet.  Guarantee them more money assuming they play for 2-3 more years.  Breno stays or goes depending on draft.

DL-try and sign Harrison and Wilkerson. Push cap cost out so they can carry all of them for now.  Let Richardson go at the end of his contract, or sign and trade.  SR will likely be suspended again, saving some cap room.  I don't think the Jets as a team want to invest in a guy with SR's issues.

LB-draft, draft, draft.  A Trevathan type FA signing could payoff.

CB-Try and trade Milliner for the cap room.  If not, give him a shot knowing he will be motivated.  Restructure or cut Cromartie for cap room.  Draft some and let them all compete.

S-these guys get hurt.  AA would be nice to give another try, because he can cover tight ends.  Let them all compete and see what we get.

Archived