2017 Roster-Long Week Distraction

varjet

Ok-activity is quiet today so I thought I would go over the potential 2017 roster. It is actually somewhat sobering:

Offense-I think generally this side of the ball gets more cap space in 2017

QB-Geno and Fitz are FAs.  Petty is under contract through 2018, Hackenburg 2019.  It would not surprise me to see Fitz signed again.  Whether its for $12mm or $16mm depends if they make the playoffs.

RB-Depth this year is thin.  Forte is under contract, and is Powell.  They need someone else here, badly.

WR-Marshall is under contract at $7.5mm, but not in 2018.  Decker is also under contract through 2018.  I would extend Decker, rely on the young guys and move forward.  Whether Devin Smith fits in depends upon if someone gets hurt, because no one else is running off until 2018.

OL-Very tricky-Clady is under contact for 2017, but at $10mm (he was cheap this year).  May be worth extending him-he could be a 2-3 year fix (including this year).  Carpenter is signed.  Mangold is under contract at $9mm+, all of which is saved if he is not on the team.  He actually appears to have returned in better shape and is playing well.  Maybe he gets extended, but I don't think Wes Johnson is his ultimate replacement. Winters and Ijalana are free agents.  Quale my guess is restricted.  The Steelers just extended DeCastro for around $10mm/year.  Winters is not nearly that, but maybe they try extending him to try and avoid another hole to fill.  No sense having him leave like Slauson after they developed him. Breno is under contract at $4.5mm.  

TE-I give up  

Defense-I think this side of the ball gets less cap space in 2017

DL-its pretty much set with large contracts.  I would really consider saving the space and moving Richardson on.   His option year is $8mm in 2017.

LB-Harris is $6.5mm in 2017.  Don't know whether that is affordable. 

DB-Revis costs $15mm in cap space in 2017 but saves $7mm if he is cut.  He needs a restructuring or worse.  Most importantly, there is a definite talent dearth at CB in 2017, after being one of the team's deepest units.  We can use the Revis money to sign someone else.  Gilcrist is a $5mm cap savings in 2017-it would be nice if a Martin, Middleton or even Revis can replace him.  2018 is Pryor's option year.

In summary, the OL and secondary will need a serious talent infusion and expense on the OL and Secondary in 2017.  The Jets face some serious issues with regards to several high cost veterans who free up substantial cap space if cut (they would need to be worth the cost)-Mangold, Breno (again), Richardson (to trade), Revis, Harris, Gilcrist.  With Brandon Marshall, it depends how he finishes the year, but my guess is he is a keeper through 2017.

Archived