Jets turn focus to fixing lines

Smizzy

Jets turn focus to fixing lines

Thursday, March 23, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets' ability to sign veteran free-agent right tackle Jon Runyan -- talks have heated up -- will go a long way toward determining what they'll do in next month's NFL draft.

With the acquisition of quarterback Patrick Ramsey, the Jets seem to have turned their attention to upgrading the offensive and defensive lines.

Should they sign Runyan, who visited yesterday and took a physical, or another veteran offensive tackle, the Jets are expected to target North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, who would be the heir apparent to John Abraham.

If the Jets don't sign a veteran offensive tackle, they'll likely eye Virginia left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson with the No. 4 pick in the draft.

Despite rampant speculation, it doesn't appear the Jets will try to package their two first-round picks (fourth and 29th) to try to move up to select USC quarterback Matt Leinart. They've also cooled on Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler.

The Jets, who are in a retooling mode, have eight draft picks (not counting compensatory picks) and $8.3 million in new salary cap room with the trade of Abraham.

"We have three picks in the top 35," Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said in a conference call. "If an opportunity came along, we'd evaluate that opportunity. But we're happy where we're sitting. It's an excellent opportunity to infuse three good young players onto the roster."

Tannenbaum, however, left his options open. "I won't rule anything in or anything out," he said.

The GM also defended the trade of Abraham to Atlanta, saying the team did well in getting a first-round pick (29th overall). He added the Jets would've kept Abraham if it couldn't get the right deal and said the club simply wasn't prepared to give the player a long-term deal.

"We did what was in the best interest of the team," Tannenbaum said.

Privately, the Jets weren't convinced that Abraham's injury history -- and off-the-field issues -- were behind him and it didn't want to take the risk of signing him to a long-term deal. "If they're living in the past, they're living in the past," Abraham said in a conference call. "That (his DWI arrest) was three years ago."

Asked if he was bitter, Abraham said, "No. Because it ended with me being in Atlanta. I can't hold grudges. I'm happy." Abraham said he never spoke with new coach Eric Mangini and didn't speak to Tannenbaum until yesterday.

Note: Tannenbaum said the Jets have 100 percent participation in the off-season program, which started on Monday. ... Jets TE Chris Baker visited Seattle yesterday.

Archived