Jets' Mangini, rookies get first minicamp underway

Smizzy

Here we go

Jets' Mangini, rookies get first minicamp underway

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- A rookie ran Jets minicamp Friday. It just so happened the practice was for rookie players, too.

Eric Mangini led his first camp as a head coach, barking instructions to several players and looking confident while splitting time between all position groups. During stretches, he chatted with third-round pick Anthony Schlegel. Later, he kept an eye on the defensive backs and checked in on top pick D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Even owner Woody Johnson stopped by to take a peek.

"It was fantastic to finally get out of a meeting room, to stop talking about the scheme and the playbook and free agency and the draft," Mangini said. "It was a lot of fun."

Of course, it wasn't always perfect. Mangini said the morning practice had plenty of bumps, since it was the first time the coaching staff was on the field together, and the first professional practice for the 40 first-year players.

Still, it was a big step for Mangini to get through his first practice.

"This was a really good day for me," Mangini said. "It was a really important day for the coaching staff, the organization. Just happy to get things underway here."

Ferguson and Nick Mangold could form the anchors of the offensive line for years to come, something the Jets desperately need. They had a shaky offensive line last season, made worse when center Kevin Mawae and left tackle Jason Fabini went out for the season with injuries.

Both players are now gone, leaving holes at their positions -- arguably the most important on the line. That's a big reason why the Jets addressed both needs with their two first-round picks.

The 6-foot-6, 312-pound Ferguson is a self-described bodyguard for the quarterback, protecting the blind side as the left tackle.

That becomes doubly important if Chad Pennington remains the starter. Pennington is coming off his second major operation on his right rotator cuff and has repeatedly vowed he would be ready to start the season.

Mangini was noncommittal when asked whether Pennington would participate in the passing camp later this month or the veteran minicamp in June.

"He's exceeded my expectations in terms of the way that he approaches things and his professional attitude," Mangini said. "I expect those things of a competitor of his nature. He's working at it. We have a whole process. We evaluate things as we go. Nothing's changed. When Chad's ready to go, he'll be ready to go."

The normally talkative Ferguson was tightlipped on the subject of protecting Pennington, and most other subjects for that matter. With dozens of reporters and cameras recording his every word, Ferguson repeated he was glad to be at camp and would fill whatever role he was given.

When asked specifically about the tenuous quarterback situation, Ferguson said, "No matter who it is, I just would love to be on this team and participate any way I can."

Chances are he will get that opportunity. With only two experienced tackles on the roster, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume Ferguson will be the starter, with Adrian Jones shifting back to his normal right tackle spot.

As for Mangold, he has an excellent chance to get plenty of playing time, competing with veteran Trey Teague at center.

Mangold would be responsible for making all the calls on the line, while making sure he gets the ball to the quarterback cleanly. After Mawae got hurt last year, the Jets moved Pete Kendall to center, and there were several problems with the exchange. Kendall will move back to his normal guard position.

Mangold and Ferguson first met at the Senior Bowl, then again at the NFL combine.

"You always want to be a part of the best offensive line," Mangold said. "Now hopefully I can be a part and do what I need to do to make a great offensive line."

:Typotux:

Archived