The Jets Version of Rashee Rice. No Wonder We Hit CB in Draft & UDFA

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What’s the implication, that future car accidents of anyone with a reckless driving history (which the team may not even know about) becomes the financial responsibility of any/all of his future employers? That’s just ridiculous. Such people would be permanently unemployable.

If I have a heart attack while driving, should my employer be sued for not knowing I had a bad heart, or my doctor for not taking my DL away? HIPPA & FERPA (higher Ed) laws prevent sharing of personal l info

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Wouldn't Echols be removed or at least suspended from the league by all the policies the NFL has?

I feel like the NFL has really scaled back on punishment. Probably media pressure.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I feel like the NFL has really scaled back on punishment. Probably media pressure.

From “Deflategate” to Ray Lewis to Raiders to Vegas in a no gambling league…. Goodell is all about making accommodations so nothing derails the money train! 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slats said:

Wait, I can sue a multi-billion dollar organization? Yeah, now that you mention it, I do feel partially paralyzed. 

First of all, any Jets fan for 20+ years has been more than partially paralyzed.  The long term emotional anguish alone warrants a class action suit, or at a minimum a joinder of plaintiffs for all PSL owners.  Except @SAR I, who will opt out.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Wouldn't Echols be removed or at least suspended from the league by all the policies the NFL has?

I think he was suspended the first game last season

• Upvote 1

I'm on that road every day.  So is my daughter and son.  It's always busy and when it's not the usual speed is about 30-40 mph.   What he did there is unconscionable.  F--K him.  Should be suspended again since the 1st suspension was typical NFL pussy-esque.  I hope the plaintiff collects Echol's entire rookie contract, all $3,654,185 of it.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm on that road every day.  So is my daughter and son.  It's always busy and when it's not the usual speed is about 30-40 mph.   What he did there is unconscionable.  F--K him.  Should be suspended again since the 1st suspension was typical NFL pussy-esque.  I hope the plaintiff collects Echol's entire rookie contract, all $3,654,185 of it.  

@Dcat is Judge Dread!Judge Dredd GIF

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

“The Jets are responsible for the negligent acts of Echols, Gilberg said in the Morris County Superior Court lawsuit filed last month”

This might be the dumbest sh*t I’ve ever read.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I guess the argument is the Jets were aware of his reckless driving and failed to act upon it. I’ve heard worse.

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I guess the argument is the Jets were aware of his reckless driving and failed to act upon it. I’ve heard worse.

Failed to act on it how? Fire the player for not obeying speed limits (we’d all be fired) which the NJ State Police failed to notify 1JD of, or take $ from his paycheck because a fan reported on his rolling through a stop sign?

Suing Echols for personal injuries… no problem! Suing NJDOT & the Jets is nothing more than a money grab. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Failed to act on it how? Fire the player for not obeying speed limits (we’d all be fired) which the NJ State Police failed to notify 1JD of, or take $ from his paycheck because a fan reported on his rolling through a stop sign?

Suing Echols for personal injuries… no problem! Suing NJDOT & the Jets is nothing more than a money grab. 

I’m not saying it’s a good argument, just sharing the likely rationale since it sounds like the Jets knew about his driving history. They could of I guess provided transportation for the player

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

image.png.14e95a7f0cc8b30606d33bfe84d66226.png

How does any of the above matter though?  Are you aware that Aaron Rodgers’ brain is filled with conspiratorial pine tar

/s

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’m not saying it’s a good argument, just sharing the likely rationale since it sounds like the Jets knew about his driving history. They could of I guess provided transportation for the player

morgan freeman GIF

Driving Mr. Echols

image.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah that was a bit much for me, too.

I absolutely feel bad for the innocent victim, needing surgery and all, but that’s just ridiculous to blame an equally-innocent party purely because they have deeper pockets than the actual offender. What’s the implication, that future car accidents of anyone with a reckless driving history (which the team may not even know about) becomes the financial responsibility of any/all of his future employers? That’s just ridiculous. Such people would be permanently unemployable.

This isn’t like serving booze through the end of football games knowing thousands of fans (compounded when tallying each game) will be driving a car within 20-30 minutes.

Jets should get this dismissed as frivolous. Even tossing him a few bucks out of legitimate sympathy sets a bad precedent & makes them (and all such teams/companies) more likely to be future targets.

If the voters want to get laws passed so past reckless driving people aren’t permitted to buy, lease, rent, or even borrow a car with faster than a 10-second 0-60 time - certainly nothing with this type of power/speed - then pass a law. Actually I don’t think something like that is a half-bad idea, now that I mention it. Until then, particularly when there’s no alcohol involved and no recall-style car manufacturing defects, blame for the reckless driving is the fault of the reckless driver.

I never feel bad for the big corporation or the government or the millionaire in a lawsuit. lol. 

This innocent man almost died. Went through major trauma that will probably never leave him. And will probably have physical issues the rest of his life because of this accident. If he wants to go after every single possible entity involved in this accident, he should. Let the courts figure it would. The Jets have plenty of lawyers and so does the state of NJ to defend themselves with. And while it may not be fully justifiable, and cost unnecessary money, something like this will at least bring more attention to a horrific accident that should never have happened. Too many people get away with reckless driving and too many innocent victims die from it. Its absurd. There are enough car accidents as it is. 

And Echols should have been cut for this incident. I did not know it was this bad when he was suspended. I did not realize there was a near fatal crash and he had an extensive history. The Jets did. I'm not saying they were legally obligated to, but morally, they should have terminated his contract, or traded him.   

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Does anyone notice that Sperm Edwards is always typing...

Yeah but I've been worried about him.  His posts average size is way down from prior years.  Hope all is well.

24 minutes ago, Larz said:

Oh man I thought this was a new incident not the one from 2 years ago 

just the video is new to me.  Speaks volumes.  He's a dick.

On 5/5/2024 at 10:49 AM, PepPep said:

I never feel bad for the big corporation or the government or the millionaire in a lawsuit. lol. 

This innocent man almost died. Went through major trauma that will probably never leave him. And will probably have physical issues the rest of his life because of this accident. If he wants to go after every single possible entity involved in this accident, he should. Let the courts figure it would. The Jets have plenty of lawyers and so does the state of NJ to defend themselves with. And while it may not be fully justifiable, and cost unnecessary money, something like this will at least bring more attention to a horrific accident that should never have happened. Too many people get away with reckless driving and too many innocent victims die from it. Its absurd. There are enough car accidents as it is. 

And Echols should have been cut for this incident. I did not know it was this bad when he was suspended. I did not realize there was a near fatal crash and he had an extensive history. The Jets did. I'm not saying they were legally obligated to, but morally, they should have terminated his contract, or traded him.   

Absolutely not. You're not even 1% correct here, and there's so much wrong - and frankly immoral - with the rationale.

It has nothing to do with feeling bad for the team or the government -- the Jets were under no moral or legal obligation to terminate his contract. and therefore are not a responsible party if he breaks the law on his free time away from the team.

And then to advocate the trading him makes the least sense. So they should profit off pushing this risky player off to another team -- since it doesn't keep him off the road how is that any more morally responsible of an act than just keeping him?

He's not suspended from league play, and he's not suspended from having a driver's license. It ends there.

It's not the job of any innocent employers to pay for indiscretions committed while the employee is on his own free time just because you feel that it publicizes a message -- that's just preposterous. The actual message sent is your employer will pay the bills for a repeat offender's future personal stupidity, irresponsibility, and endangerment of other innocents -- so hey they should worry about it actually little less

The inescapable problem with your logic is the unintended consequences: by setting such a precedent that the off-hours illegal behavior of anyone who is ever convicted of anything - from reckless driving to a prior crime - is the responsibility of future employers (and the government, I think you wanted as well), those people will become permanently unemployable members of society because any and all future employers - including the government as an employer - would never take on the risks of what these people might do when they're not at work.

Sorry, but while I'm in favor of all dickheads like this staying off the road, this remedy is just a horrible, horrible idea.

You want to send a message? Reckless driving in the future will get your license permanently revoked in all USA states and territories.  Also all criminals who aren't independently wealthy need to stay in jail (no I'm not actually advocating this) or be on public assistance forever because no one will want to employ them if those employers are responsible for any/all of their future indiscretions. It's of course not a moral reaction to an immoral problem created, but what's the other avenue left? Commit a crime (or a bad traffic violation) and now you're subjected to a life of unemployment thereafter because you're too big of a risk for any employer? Looking at it even in the best light, this remedy is fraught with the awful outcomes of the law of unintended consequences. 

Sorry, I tend to lay it on a little thick once I get going. It's not you, it's me. ;) 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Absolutely not. You're not even 1% correct here, and there's so much wrong - and frankly immoral - with the rationale.

It has nothing to do with feeling bad for the team or the government -- the Jets were under no moral or legal obligation to terminate his contract. and therefore are not a responsible party if he breaks the law on his free time away from the team.

And then to advocate the trading him makes the least sense. So they should profit off pushing this risky player off to another team -- since it doesn't keep him off the road how is that any more morally responsible of an act than just keeping him?

He's not suspended from league play, and he's not suspended from having a driver's license. It ends there.

It's not the job of any innocent employers to pay for indiscretions committed while the employee is on his own free time just because you feel that it publicizes a message -- that's just preposterous. The actual message sent is your employer will pay the bills for a repeat offender's future personal stupidity, irresponsibility, and endangerment of other innocents -- so hey they should worry about it actually little less

The inescapable problem with your logic is the unintended consequences: by setting such a precedent that the off-hours illegal behavior of anyone who is ever convicted of anything - from reckless driving to a prior crime - is the responsibility of future employers (and the government, I think you wanted as well), those people will become permanently unemployable members of society because any and all future employers - including the government as an employer - would never take on the risks of what these people might do when they're not at work.

Sorry, but while I'm in favor of all dickheads like this staying off the road, this remedy is just a horrible, horrible idea.

You want to send a message? Reckless driving in the future will get your license permanently revoked in all USA states and territories.  Also all criminals who aren't independently wealthy need to stay in jail forever because no one will want to employ them if those employers are responsible for any/all of their future indiscretions. 

Sorry, I tend to lay it on a little thick once I get going. It's not you, it's me. ;) 

Nah.....if this kept happening and the Jets knew about it and then he almost killed someone and got suspended by the NFL for a game, they should have cut him loose or moved him for peanuts just to get him off the team. The precedent would be - don't be stupid and don't be a repeat offender. 

If the victim wants to sue the Jets or NJ, let him. I have no problem with it. Like I said, let the court decide. If he gets nothing out of it, he gets nothing out of it. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah that was a bit much for me, too.

I absolutely feel bad for the innocent victim, needing surgery and all, but that’s just ridiculous to blame an equally-innocent party purely because they have deeper pockets than the actual offender. What’s the implication, that future car accidents of anyone with a reckless driving history (which the team may not even know about) becomes the financial responsibility of any/all of his future employers? That’s just ridiculous. Such people would be permanently unemployable.

This isn’t like serving booze through the end of football games knowing thousands of fans (compounded when tallying each game) will be driving a car within 20-30 minutes.

Jets should get this dismissed as frivolous. Even tossing him a few bucks out of legitimate sympathy sets a bad precedent & makes them (and all such teams/companies) more likely to be future targets.

If the voters want to get laws passed so past reckless driving people aren’t permitted to buy, lease, rent, or even borrow a car with faster than a 10-second 0-60 time - certainly nothing with this type of power/speed - then pass a law. Actually I don’t think something like that is a half-bad idea, now that I mention it. Until then, particularly when there’s no alcohol involved and no recall-style car manufacturing defects, blame for the reckless driving is the fault of the reckless driver.

Yep. As a lawyer, this is one of those times where you need to tell the client "yeah, would be great if we could get that defendant on the hook, but there's no legal basis for it on the known facts. We can take discovery and amend them in if we find out something unexpected that would give us a claim against them, but I'm not naming them now."

• Upvote 3