Tampa Cover Two Defense

BigOrangeJetFan

Big article this wk in Sports Illustrated about this defense and how the Bears used it to shut us down last week.

I know all the JN posters are football savvy. I know the Jets don't have the personnel to play this defense.

Defense needs: Great pass rushers. Mobile/savvy MLB. Physical corners. Ball hawking safeties. Physical OLBs who can cover slot receivers who can help stop the run.

My question: Did we ever have the D to play this? During the Sack Exchange days??

Big article this wk in Sports Illustrated about this defense and how the Bears used it to shut us down last week.

I know all the JN posters are football savvy. I know the Jets don't have the personnel to play this defense.

Defense needs: Great pass rushers. Mobile/savvy MLB. Physical corners. Ball hawking safeties. Physical OLBs who can cover slot receivers who can help stop the run.

My question: Did we ever have the D to play this? During the Sack Exchange days??

You'll remember we tried that defense from 2001 to 2003.Ironicaly though,I felt the moves we made in the 2003-2004 offseason meant we were suited for the cover 2.

Vilma fills that rangey MLB role who can drop back deep.Barton and Hobson are faster than Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis(Although i don't know if they would be fast enough).Good Zone corners in Barrett and Donnie Abraham.Erik Coleman gave us speed at safety.Move a year forward and then we have Kerry Rhodes.Giving us the Cover two safetys.

I'm generaly not a fan of the scheme,there are weaknesses in the seems and especially in the deep middle.Plus i just don't think it's a great idea to basicly run the same play over and over again.

Archived