Jets have options at WR- Jetsblog

Kentucky Jet

Jets Have Plenty Of Options At Wide Receiver

Watching the Jets early in camp, it looks like they will be very strong at wide receiver.

The starters will be Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery. Both have top-shelf toughness and focus. There isn't a ball either one of these cats won't go after.

After that, the Jets are going to have some very difficult decisions to make.

Right now, the #3 receiver is Justin McCareins, but for how much longer?

If I'm the Jets, I would attempt to trade him, and let Brad Smith take his spot. McCareins has a great motor and amazing work ethic, but he's limited athletically. Because he's so tightly-muscled, it's hard for him to make really difficult catches.

Smith on the other hand, is an amazing athlete, who consistently makes circus catches in practice. He's also better running after the catch than McCareins.

Another player who can help fill the void if McCareins departs is former Cleveland Brown receiver Frisman Jackson, who at 6-3, 217 pounds, would give the Jets a big target who can win jump ball situations.

And let's not forget rookie Chansi Stuckey, who was the star of the Jets mini-camp. He looks like a poor man's Deion Branch.

So as you can see, Chad Pennington is going to have plenty of weapons to work with this year.

McCareins is good insurance. Brad Smith apparently has been getting more looks at QB anyway.

McCareins seems dedicated to get out of Mangini's doghouse and be a good player for the Jets. And lets be honest - if the price for Randy Moss and Darrell Jackson is only a 4th round pick, what can the Jets realistically expect to get for McCareins ? His value to the team still outweighs what they would get in a trade. I'd keep him and simply remain deep and talented at WR.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love Frisman Jackson, aka Tom Jackson's 2nd cousin, and Chansi Stuckey. Stuckey will definitely stick, but for Frisman I just hope he can make the team. If he does, he will make places. I'd rather see McCareins shipped out to make more playing time for Stuckey and Frisman, IMO.

Archived