Dyson on the outside looking in? Tom Rock

Kentucky Jet

Veteran CB Dyson on outside looking in for Jets?

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

August 17, 2007

Article Tools

E-mail Share this

Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Furl Google Reddit Spurl Yahoo Print Single page view Reprints Reader feedback text size: With first-round pick Darrelle Revis in camp and Justin Miller close to a return from a hamstring injury, reps at cornerback could soon be drying up. Even, it turns out, for the guy who was the mainstay at the position last year.

Andre Dyson started 15 games in 2006 while the Jets searched for a steadiness on the other side of the field. But so far this training camp, Dyson has neither locked down receivers nor locked up the job.

"I don't think they're necessarily trying to find a guy to go opposite me," he said. "I think they're trying to find two guys."

Dyson was relegated to the second unit in the Green-White scrimmage. He started last Friday's preseason opener with Miller sidelined. Dyson, who said he came to camp healthy after suffering sprained knee ligaments late last year, said he thinks his experience in the league is his best attribute (and, noteworthy, something Revis and Miller cannot boast).

"I'm not the biggest guy, I'm not the tallest guy, I'm not the quickest guy, I'm not the fastest guy," he said. "But I feel like I can go out and compete in whatever you want me to do. I've played long enough to understand what offenses and quarterbacks are trying to do."

Schott stays put

Speaking publicly for the first time in 10 months, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said talk by the Dolphins to make him their head coach were "definitely flattering," but he wanted to stay with the Jets after only one season as an offensive coordinator.

Did Schottenheimer seek advise from Eric Mangini, who went through virtually the same process a year earlier and, according to many, soured his relationship with Bill Belichick in the process?

"Eric said 'I'm here for you, whatever you need, I'm here for you'," Schottenheimer said. "But it never got to that point."

Jet streams

RB Thomas Jones (calf), TE Joe Kowalewski (hamstring), S Eric Smith (leg), FB Stacy Tutt (foot) and CB Drew Coleman (knee) are unlikely to play tonight.

Dyson has been dinged up in TC, some sort of unspecified leg injury. He has spent a day or two on the bikes in this camp, so this isn't a guess or fabrication. As far as I am concerned, which means little...lol... he is still the Jets #1 CB until proven otherwise.

and I really do not understand why guys are critical of DYSON. He did well last year and we had NO PASSRUSH! A CBs best weapon is a great passrush!

and I really do not understand why guys are critical of DYSON. He did well last year and we had NO PASSRUSH! A CBs best weapon is a great passrush!

I was just thinking that if our 07 team MVP (miller) preforms as well as i think he will, and revis looks like he's ready to be a good corner next year, it would be nice to move dyson to safety, or just use them in nickel packages. It might be silly to carry 3 legit corners, but mangini would love the variations of having, dyson, miller, revis, coleman, smith, and Rhodes for long yardage situations, or near the goal line on 3rd and 9.

Flexibility seems to be what mangini is going for and having three quality corners does just that.

A lot of this depends on Miller and Revis' development. Here's hopin though.

Archived