Pats' sentence reveals disciplinary double standard

NIGHT STALKER

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/09/14/mailbag/index.html

SUPER BOWL WINS ARE CALLED INTO QUESTION

Now that the book has been closed (apparently) on the whole Pats video thing, it's time to ponder the question of whether any of the trio of three-point wins in Super Bowls XXXXVI, XXXVIII, and XXXIX were the result of any type of cheating.

As to the Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX, whom the Patriots beat by a field goal to cap the 2004 season, some of the players think that the answer could be yes. "I was giving them a whole bunch of credit for making halftime adjustments. . . . It's troublesome," safety Brian Dawkins said on Thursday. "I don't know how different to say it -- it bothers me."

As to the Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII, whom the Patriots beat by a field goal to cap the 2003 season, there are rumblings of skullduggery occurring not based on halftime adjustments, but on pregame planning. "Some sources within the team's Bank of America Stadium facilities said there were rumblings that the Patriots might have filmed at least two of Carolina's practices in the week leading into the Super Bowl after the 2003 season," writes Pat Yasinskas of the Charlotte Observer.

Former Panthers defensive tackle Brentson Buckner hinted at such suspicions during a Friday appearance on the Mac Attack on WFNZ in Charlotte.

"I know in that Super Bowl game . . . we worked on some stuff that we had never ran against Tom Brady," Buckner said. "We got in that game and he called out everything that we did. . . . It makes you wonder about the knowledge that Tom Brady and those guys [had] because they literally in plays knew where you were going."

As to the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI, whom the Patriots beat by a field goal to cap the 2001 season, the manner in which that game unfolded could raise questions as to whether the Pats acquired advance knowledge via questionable means. Through two quarters, the Pats held the Greatest Show-Offs on Turf to a measly three points, their lowest first-half output of the season.

As to any of the three Super Bowls, there's always a chance that someone will eventually spill the beans (if there are beans to spill), and the climate that has been created in the wake of this week's events could be enough to get someone to turn the bag of beans upside down, and shake the hell out of it.

If that happens, it makes Belichick's decision to continue to risk getting caught when it was clear that his former lieutenant was looking to catch him seem even more stupid.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/09/14/mailbag/index.html

SUPER BOWL WINS ARE CALLED INTO QUESTION

Now that the book has been closed (apparently) on the whole Pats video thing, it's time to ponder the question of whether any of the trio of three-point wins in Super Bowls XXXXVI, XXXVIII, and XXXIX were the result of any type of cheating.

As to the Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX, whom the Patriots beat by a field goal to cap the 2004 season, some of the players think that the answer could be yes. "I was giving them a whole bunch of credit for making halftime adjustments. . . . It's troublesome," safety Brian Dawkins said on Thursday. "I don't know how different to say it -- it bothers me."

As to the Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII, whom the Patriots beat by a field goal to cap the 2003 season, there are rumblings of skullduggery occurring not based on halftime adjustments, but on pregame planning. "Some sources within the team's Bank of America Stadium facilities said there were rumblings that the Patriots might have filmed at least two of Carolina's practices in the week leading into the Super Bowl after the 2003 season," writes Pat Yasinskas of the Charlotte Observer.

Former Panthers defensive tackle Brentson Buckner hinted at such suspicions during a Friday appearance on the Mac Attack on WFNZ in Charlotte.

"I know in that Super Bowl game . . . we worked on some stuff that we had never ran against Tom Brady," Buckner said. "We got in that game and he called out everything that we did. . . . It makes you wonder about the knowledge that Tom Brady and those guys [had] because they literally in plays knew where you were going."

As to the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI, whom the Patriots beat by a field goal to cap the 2001 season, the manner in which that game unfolded could raise questions as to whether the Pats acquired advance knowledge via questionable means. Through two quarters, the Pats held the Greatest Show-Offs on Turf to a measly three points, their lowest first-half output of the season.

As to any of the three Super Bowls, there's always a chance that someone will eventually spill the beans (if there are beans to spill), and the climate that has been created in the wake of this week's events could be enough to get someone to turn the bag of beans upside down, and shake the hell out of it.

If that happens, it makes Belichick's decision to continue to risk getting caught when it was clear that his former lieutenant was looking to catch him seem even more stupid.

I hope the beans do get spilled before 20 years go by, the truth needs to be told--now.

Archived