Mon., 9/17- Jets news articles- NY Post

Kentucky Jet

QB SHOWS POISE IN FIRST START September 17, 2007 -- BALTIMORE - There was only so much you could expect from Kellen Clemens yesterday afternoon at M&T Bank Stadium. Making his first career NFL start on the road against linebacker Ray Lewis and the intimidating Ravens defense isn't a prescription for instant success.

That's why the Ravens' 20-13 victory before 71,246 wasn't unexpected. Neither was the slow start from Clemens, who threw an interception on his second pass of the game and had 43 yards passing in the first half.

Yet, despite the loss, Clemens showed enough moxie and poise for there to be no reason for the Jets to rush Chad Pennington back into the starting lineup.

A healthy Pennington still gives the Jets the best chance for victory because of his experience. But Clemens began closing that gap yesterday by completing 19 of 37 passes for 260 yards one touchdown and two interceptions. He came thisclose to rallying the Jets from a 20-3 deficit as a potential game-tying touchdown was ruined by a deflected interception in the end zone by Lewis with 1:03 to play.

"Chad is still the starter," Jets coach Eric Mangini clarified after the game.

He was speaking in theory of course since Pennington, who was dressed yesterday, is still hobbled by a severe ankle injury. As long as Pennington isn't 100 percent, the Jets should give Clemens the ball and all the reps to see if the starting job should be his for good.

Clemens didn't win the game yesterday, which ultimately quarterbacks are paid to do. But this was no flop of a performance. Far from it. The 24-year-old second-round draft pick from 2006 displayed everything you'd like to see in a young quarterback.

He stood tall in the pocket, delivered his passes under constant pressure from the Ravens' pass rush that sacked him four times. When he got hit, he got back up. He ran the Jets' no-huddle offense with minimal confusion. He never looked as if he was overmatched. He never gave up. "He took their best shot and kept coming," Mangini said. "I was pleased with that."

Quarterbacks make their reputations in the fourth quarter where the game is on the line. That's when Clemens was at his best yesterday. His 3-yard touchdown pass to tight end Chris Baker with 3:12 remaining ended an 11-play, 81-yard drive that cut the Ravens' lead to 20-13.

Under what he called "an extreme sense of urgency," Clemens got the ball back with 2:38 to play and marched the Jets from their own 20 to a first down at the Ravens 7. Two passes to Justin McCareins could have been touchdowns, but the receiver flat dropped the first and deflected the second into Lewis' hands.

Clemens could have easily blamed McCareins, but like an emerging leader he chose to focus on the positive. "It was great to see us respond to the adversity we had been going through for the major part of the game," Clemens said. "It was nice to see the competitiveness of this team the way we responded down the stretch."

Sure, there were times when Clemens' inexperience was evident. A couple of the sacks were because he held the ball too long and it took almost three-quarters for him to feel comfortable. But those are growing pains. Why not get some of those growing pains out of the way now?

There was nothing in Clemens' performance yesterday that makes you think he can't be a franchise quarterback, the kind of quarterback we thought Pennington would be before two shoulder surgeries left him with a pop-gun passing arm. Pennington stood on the sideline yesterday in the role of backup quarterback staying ready in case anything happened to Clemens. That's the way it should stay for now.

george.willis@nypost.com

JETS RAVEN ROAD 'KELL'

COMEBACK FALLS SHORT

By MARK CANNIZZARO

BRICK WALL: Thomas Jones is tackled by the Ravens' Ray Lewis (top left) during the first half of the Jets' 20-13 loss yesterday in Baltimore.September 17, 2007 -- BALTIMORE - Scattered amongst the equipment bags, scraps of athletic tape and other accoutrements that litter the visitors' locker room after an NFL game was a distinct air of conflict coming from the Jets following their roller coaster 20-13 loss to the Ravens yesterday at M&T Bank Stadium.

There were the usual hushed tones that come from players after a loss, particularly one like yesterday's, when the Jets had a litany of chances late in the game to send it into overtime and take their chances from there but failed to seize the moment.

Nevertheless, there, too, were words of optimism emanating from the room.

The Jets lost a game for sure, a loss that leaves them in a precarious early hole at 0-2.

But they may well have truly found their quarterback of the future in Kellen Clemens. Clemens started in place of the injured Chad Pennington and, after a dismal first half that included more hits to his body than a 12-round Tyson fight, engineered a spirited late rally that fell tantalizingly short.

"I thought he showed great poise," Eric Mangini said of Clemens (19-of-37, 260 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs). "This is a guy making his first start against an outstanding defense that gives multiple looks and pressure. He took their best shot and kept coming, and I was pleased with that."

There, too, were way too many negatives. Beginning with two dropped potential game-tying TD passes in the final moments by usually reliable wide receiver Justin McCareins, the second of which ended the Jets chances when a deflected ball off of McCareins' hands landed in Ray Lewis lap with 1:04 remaining.

Moments earlier, a wide-open McCareins dropped a sure 31-yard Clemens TD pass at the five-yard line with no one in front of him with about 1:40 remaining.

"I've got to make that play," McCareins said. "I made an adjustment on that route and I got open and I just couldn't get both hands on it. That ball was on me."

McCareins said he should have caught the zipped Clemens pass that deflected off his hands and into Lewis' paws.

"No doubt, no doubt," McCareins said. "Those are plays I know I can make and I have made. I just didn't get it done when it counted."

Laveranues Coles also had a chance during that frenetic rally, failing to haul in a low Clemens pass in the end zone on the play after McCareins' first drop.

"I've got to come up with that," Coles said. "Some how some way Laveranues has to come up with that play. That's what they have me here for. I'm disappointed with myself."

As disappointed as the players and coaches were, the Clemens silver lining kept coming up.

"Everyone knows he's got talent," Cotchery, who caught seven passes for a career-high 165 yards, said. "Today I think what a lot of people saw was his toughness. The Ravens were bringing a lot of heat and he stood in there and made some tough throws."

Jets' TE Chris Baker, who caught a TD pass during the late rally to cut what was a 20-3 fourth-quarter deficit to 20-13 with 3:12 remaining, said, "Quarterbacks get hit, but he was getting blasted. For him to hang in there and not start to shy away and keep throwing the ball the way he did . . . that was phenomenal."

But it didn't matter in the end. The Ravens owned a 48-1 record when they had a 14-point lead into the second half.

Too many mistakes prevented the Jets from making that record 48-2.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

COTCHERY CATCHES ON

By MARK CANNIZZARO

September 17, 2007 -- BALTIMORE - Jerricho Cotchery played the game of his NFL life yesterday. Too bad it came in a loss.

Cotchery, the Jets' quiet but highly-productive receiver, caught seven passes for a career-high 165 yards in a 20-13 loss to the Ravens.

"He's just a special guy," Eric Mangini said of Cotchery. "I admire his competitiveness and his toughness. You just love to coach guys like that."

Among the Jets' top three wide receivers yesterday, Cotchery was the only one not to have a debilitating drop in crunch time like Justin McCareins and Laveranues Coles did.

"A lot of teams are paying a lot of attention to Laveranues, so that's where I have to do my work," Cotchery said. "Kellen (Clemens) noticed that and I was able to get open on a few routes."

His 44-yard catch in the fourth quarter led to a Jets touchdown. His 50-yard catch-and-run set the Jets up with their chance to tie the game in the final moments.

The consecutive field goal streak for Jets kicker Mike Nugent ended at 19, three short of tying Pat Leahy's record of 22. Nugent made his first attempt, a 50-yarder in the second quarter, and then was wide left on a 52-yarder later in the quarter.

The Jets, who yielded four sacks yesterday, have now allowed nine in two games this season and their defense has not yet recorded a sack . . . C Nick Mangold made his first NFL reception in the third quarter, grabbing a deflected Clemens pass.

Though he did hurt them in places, the Jets held Willis McGahee to fewer than 100 rushing yards for the first time in six games. McGahee, who rushed for 97 yards on 26 carries, entered yesterday having rushed for 705 yards on 138 carries in his career against the Jets. He had rushed for 100 or more yards in each of his last five meetings with the Jets, averaging more than 132 yards per game.

In each of his first three seasons in the NFL, McGahee has rushed for his season high against the Jets - 132 yards in 2004, 143 yards in 2005 and a career-best 150 last season.

CB Justin Miller, who had a miserable opening game, getting torched by Patriots' WR Randy Moss before being benched, injured his right knee on a second-quarter kickoff and didn't return.

Ravens' WR Derrick Mason on McCareins dropping the potential tying TD late in the game: "I was surprised. I think he was surprised, too. It was probably a lack of concentration, but I'm glad he had a lack of concentration. After the game, I patted him on the back and said, 'Oh man, you should have had it.' "

CB Andre Dyson, who was inactive in the opener with a foot injury, played, though he didn't start. Darrelle Revis started his second straight game.

Jets can't hold onto ball, fall short in Baltimore

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

September 17, 2007

BALTIMORE - If the receivers handled the passes as well as they handled the blame, the train ride home from Baltimore last night might have been much easier to take. Instead, the starting debut of quarterback Kellen Clemens - which began as lackluster and evolved into a near fourth-quarter comeback the likes of which few teams have managed - wound up falling agonizingly short.

Three times Clemens threw the ball toward the end zone with a chance to tie the score in the final two minutes, and three times the connection between veteran receivers and the second-year quarterback was fuzzy.

There was the open post pattern by Justin McCareins that was simply dropped, a low pass that Laveranues Coles was able to get his hands underneath but was unable to cling to, and a high toss back in McCareins' direction that was tipped and wound up in the hands of Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis in the end zone.

That interception sealed a 20-13 loss and put the Jets in an 0-2 hole for the first time since 2003. It's the first time the Jets are two games under .500 under Eric Mangini, who said there were plenty of opportunities to win yesterday's game. None bigger than that trio of almosts at the very end.

"The last three big passes there, we were just a little bit off," said Clemens, who was 10-for-19 for 176 yards in the fourth. "It's frustrating. That blame doesn't fall to anyone."

Coles and McCareins were out of sync with Clemens on that last idea as well.

"They're plays I know I can make and I have made," said McCareins, who had built up a strong preseason rapport with Clemens that betrayed them here. "I just didn't get it done when it counted."

Coles, too, tried to shoulder the load.

"If you all have anything negative to say, point the finger at me," he said. "I should have come up with that catch to give us a chance to win that game. Somehow, some way, Laveranues has to come up with that play. That's what they have me here for."

The post to McCareins was the real killer. He was wide open at the 6-yard line after lining up on the right and losing his defender. Clemens said he threw the ball before McCareins made his cut and had no idea how open he would be. McCareins said he got one hand on it but was unable to get his second there to secure it.

The Ravens (1-1) - who entered the game with a record of 48-1 when leading by 14 or more points - were in that very position at halftime. Kyle Boller, Baltimore's backup quarterback, threw a touchdown pass to tight end Todd Heap with six seconds remaining in the second quarter to make it 17-3. Heap made a dazzling one-handed grab that was so remarkable it had to be seen again (and was ruled a score only after video overturned the original call).

The Ravens went ahead 20-3 on the first play of the fourth, and the flat-lining Jets seemed ready to take their second straight blowout on the chin.

But after three quarters of ineffective play and a battering by the Ravens, who sacked him four times, Clemens finally sparked the Jets. He engineered a 10-play, 68-yard drive that reached the Ravens' 3 and led to Mike Nugent's 21-yard field goal. On the next possession, the rejuvenated Jets went 81 yards on 11 plays and made it 20-13 on Clemens' 3-yard pass to Chris Baker with 3:12 remaining.

"Quarterbacks get hit, but he was getting blasted," Baker said. "And for him to hang in there and not shy away and keep throwing the ball the way he did, that was phenomenal."

The Jets' defense came up with its best stand of the game, forcing the Ravens off the field in three plays (two of them passes) that ate up just 34 seconds. A touchback on the punt gave the Jets the ball at the 20 with 2:38 remaining, and after a 50-yard catch-and-run by Jerricho Cotchery, the Jets took their ill-fated chances on tying it.

The last of those chances ended up glancing off the extended fingertips of McCareins and landing in the lap of Lewis.

"Justin came open at the last minute," Clemens said, joining the blame-yourself movement. "He ran a great route, he was right in the right spot. He was in traffic, so I rushed the throw a little and just didn't pull it down. And it was costly."

THE LATE SHOW

Kellen Clemens, in his NFL debut, brought the Jets to within 7 yards of a victory yesterday. He threw for 176 yards and one touchdown in a fourth-quarter rally that fizzled when his deflected pass from the 7-yard line was intercepted in the Baltimore end zone. Clemens' numbers:

FIRST THREE QUARTERS

ATT. COMP. YDS. TD LONG. INT

18 9 84 0 21 1

FOURTH QUARTER

19 10 176 1 50 1

TOTAL

37 19 260 1 50 2

More articles

GRADING THE JETS

TOM ROCK

September 17, 2007

OFFENSE

C- For three quarters, it was pretty terrible. Kellen Clemens was pounded by the blitzing linebackers and defensive backs, Thomas Jones couldn't get anything going, and the team had seven first downs and 107 net yards when the fourth quarter started. But then there was a spark and the team rolled up 11 first downs and 197 yards in the final period. Clemens said things started slowing down for him in that fourth quarter, which likely had more to do with the offensive line finally providing protection. Thirteen points against this Ravens defense with a first-time starter at quarterback wasn't enough, but it wasn't all bad.

DEFENSE

D- You can easily count the number of sacks and turnovers the Jets have through two games because it's the same number as wins: zero. The Jets' pass rush was a little more active than last week, but they still gave Ravens backup Kyle Boller too much time. The secondary was improved, but they weren't covering Randy Moss. Willis McGahee had 97 yards, but he was held in check without a big play. On the final two possessions that counted, the defense forced the Ravens to punt and allowed 23 yards on 9 plays, giving the team a chance to come back.

SPECIAL TEAMS

C- The good news is that no one set an NFL record for the longest kickoff return this week. Still, the coverage on the kickoffs is leaving something to be desired, even with coordinator Mike Westhoff on the sideline this time. Yamon Figurs had a 61-yarder foiled only by Mike Nugent's daredevil leap into a block near midfield. Nugent's consecutive FG streak ended at 19 with a 52-yard miss. And an onside kick failed when Brad Smith was unable to come up with the ball along the right sideline.

COACHING

C Eric Mangini's toughest decision may have come just before the game, when he decided to go with Clemens as his starter. Clemens redeemed the decision with a strong fourth-quarter effort. The Jets' defense is still trying to blitz its way into pressuring the quarterbacks and still unable to reach him. The offense was making all the right calls down the stretch, including the three relatively open looks at the end zone in the final two minutes. Poor execution ruined those plays.

More articles

Copyright

Great finish doesn't equal start

Bob Glauber

September 17, 2007

BALTIMORE

There is no quarterback controversy with the Jets. At least officially.

Moments after Kellen Clemens nearly brought the Jets back against the Ravens with a stirring fourth-quarter performance, Jets coach Eric Mangini was asked if Chad Pennington is still his guy. "Chad is still the starter," Mangini said.

Fine. We'll see how that goes over with the 75,000 or so fans next week at Giants Stadium when the Jets host the Dolphins.

The way Mangini sounded yesterday, he'll almost certainly go back to Pennington once he's sufficiently healed from an ankle injury; it's more than likely he will be in the lineup Sunday. But considering how a disturbing number of Jets fans cheered when Pennington got hurt in Week 1, a few errant throws against the Dolphins surely will bring up the Clemens issue once more.

Had Clemens not brought the Jets back the way he did against the Ravens, all this would have been moot. For most of the game, he played the way you'd expect a guy making his first start would play against Ray Lewis & Co: 9-for-18 for 84 yards, no touchdowns, one interception and four sacks through three quarters. His rating was a miserable 40.0, and the Jets were behind 17-3.

But Clemens responded beautifully when the Jets went to the no-huddle offense in the fourth, putting up 10 points. And he did more than enough to force overtime. With just under two minutes to play, Clemens hit Justin McCareins in stride at the Ravens' 6, but he dropped what should have been the tying TD. Two plays later, Clemens found the usually sure-handed Laveranues Coles open in the end zone. Coles couldn't come up with that one, either.

And four plays later, Clemens threaded a pass between two defenders in the end zone, but the ball caromed off McCareins' hands and into the waiting arms of Lewis. A game that should have gone into OT suddenly was over. Ravens 20, Jets 13.

Despite the loss, Clemens made a big enough impression to at least cloud the issue. If not in the immediate term, then certainly over time.

Was he good enough to earn another start? Clemens was predictably diplomatic. "Gosh, it's tough to say. We'll go in on Monday and look at the tape and evaluate it and I'm sure the coaches will make their decision," he said.

But unless Pennington is physically unable to go next week - and that doesn't appear to be the case; he was the primary backup yesterday - Mangini already has made his decision. And I believe he's correct for maintaining that Pennington is the starter. He spent the entire offseason as the No. 1, started all through training camp and into Week 1, and one late comeback by the backup doesn't undo all of that.

But ... it's also foolish to think any prolonged stretch of ineffectiveness by Pennington will not have any consequences. If he comes back and shows the kind of pinpoint accuracy and terrific field leadership he's known for, then Clemens fades into the background, and the Jets turn this into the kind of interesting season we expected after last year's playoff run.

But ... it's New York. It's the quarterback. Which way's the wind blowing?

If the offense bogs down under Pennington, or if his mobility is adversely affected by lingering problems from his ankle injury, you know the impatience will grow and that the calls for Clemens will increase.

It's as predictable a phenomenon in autumn as the leaves changing. And sometimes the mere pressure of the situation is enough to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The next two weeks could very well turn out to be pivotal for the Jets and Pennington. Mangini needs to find the proper balance to guide his team out of its 0-2 start, and how he handles the quarterback situation will be crucial.

The Dolphins appear awful after their own 0-2 start; the Bills, also 0-2, still have not recovered from the devastating injury to Kevin Everett. If Pennington returns and gets the Jets back in it with two straight wins, the Clemens hysteria will die down and the season lives on. But the margin of error is razor- thin, and time is not on Pennington's side. Or Mangini's.

One or two more losses, and the coach might decide the Clemens era is upon us.

more in /sports/football/jets

Copyright

Big day for Cotchery

Catches seven balls from Clemens for 165, career high in yardage

September 17, 2007

BALTIMORE - Jerricho Cotchery still considers himself the second spoke on the Jets' receiving wheel. But with each passing game, he's looking more and more like the go-to guy for green.

Yesterday, Cotchery had a career day, grabbing seven passes for 165 yards, the most by any Jets receiver since Keyshawn Johnson had 194 in 1999. It was his 23-yard reception on fourth-and-7 in the fourth quarter that continued the touchdown drive to make it a one-possession game, and his 50-yard catch and run later in the fourth quarter that brought the Jets to the brink of a comeback. And he still deferred to the Jets' other receiver.

"A lot of teams pay a lot of attention to Laveranues [Coles], and that's where I have to do my work, I have to get open and make plays," Cotchery said. "Kellen [Clemens] noticed that and I was able to get open."

The 50-yard reception, which came on the first play of the Jets' final drive, reminded many of Cotchery's touchdown play against the Patriots in Week 2 a year ago. This time Cotchery caught the ball near the middle of the field and juked away from a tackle by Ravens safety Ed Reed. From there Cotchery took off all the way to the Ravens' 30, putting the Jets in scoring position with just over two minutes left.

"He's just a special guy," Jets coach Eric Mangini said of Cotchery. "I admire his competitiveness, I admire his toughness. You just love to coach guys like that."

Cotchery also caught a 44-yarder early in the touchdown drive in which he evaded several tacklers who seemed more interested in trying to strip the ball than bring down the ballcarrier.

Cotchery showed receiving skills and toughness yesterday. Several times he had to leave the field, including once in the final drive that cost the Jets a 10-second runoff. But each time Cotchery hobbled to the sideline he managed to find his way back. He was on the field for the Jets' final offensive play, a pass that was intercepted in the end zone after being tipped by a leaping Justin McCareins.

Cotchery admitted earlier in the week that he had built up very little chemistry with Clemens. That didn't seem to bother them in the fourth quarter. Cotchery said Clemens pulled him and others out of receivers meetings all during the week to work on refining routes and adjusting passes.

Even with his burgeoning stardom, though, Cotchery knows he's just picking up the scraps left over from other receivers.

"I know each and every week, defenses are going to respect Laveranues," Cotchery said. "He has to be accounted for, no doubt about it. And I'm going to get my chance to make those plays."

Jets' Jones makes some strides

September 17, 2007

How'd Thomas Jones do?

A little better in terms of his totals, a little worse in terms of his average. He ran for 67 yards on 24 carries with a long of 9 yards a week after debuting with 42 yards on 14 carries. But his average of 2.8 per carry was down from 3.0 against the Patriots. He did catch a 21-yard pass in the first quarter on a short dump from Kellen Clemens yesterday, but he wound up with two receptions for 20 yards after losing one on his next catch. Through two games Jones has 109 yards on 38 carries.

Did the Jets stop Willis McGahee?

Kind of. He ran for 97 yards on 26 carries, and considering his past efforts against the Jets, keeping him in double-digits might be considered a shutdown. To be fair, though, it was actually Ravens coach Brian Billick who held McGahee from the century mark for the sixth time in seven games against the Jets. His decision to throw the ball rather than try to run out some of the clock late in the fourth quarter almost cost the Ravens the game.

What happened on the onside kick attempt?

The Jets were kicking off from the 45 because of a PAT penalty against the Ravens, and Brad Smith said he had a chance to make the play when Mike Nugent's kick was in the air near the right sideline. "I was trying to eye it on the way down and I lost track of it and it bounced off me," Smith said. The Ravens wound up knocking the ball out of bounds to retain possession.

Will Pat Leahy uncork a bottle of champagne?

Maybe. His Jets record of 22 consecutive field goals remained intact after Nugent missed a 52-yarder wide left in the second quarter. The miss snapped Nugent's streak of consecutive field goals at 19, which was reached early in the second quarter on a 50-yarder. But don't get too comfortable, Leahy. Nugent's back on the horse after his 21-yarder in the fourth quarter.

What happened to Justin Miller?

The Jets' only Pro Bowler couldn't finish the game for the second straight week. Last week he appeared to tweak his already injured hamstring. Yesterday, after returning a second-quarter kickoff 22 yards, he had to be helped off the field with a right knee injury.

Is Nick Mangold a downfield threat?

Well, the center did catch one pass, snagging a deflection at the line of scrimmage for a 3-yard loss in the third quarter. According to the Jets, it was their first reception by an offensive lineman since Oct. 29, 1978, when John Roman caught a deflection against the Patriots for minus-2 yards. Jumbo Elliot caught a 3-yard TD pass from Vinny Testaverde on Oct. 23, 2000, against Miami, but did so as an eligible receiver. Mangold also got his paws on another pass, swatting a potential interception away from Terrell Suggs. So he can play defensive back, too.

Jets' Pennington: I was ready to play if needed

BY BOB GLAUBER | bob.glauber@newsday.com

September 17, 2007

BALTIMORE - Chad Pennington said he was ready to go if Eric Mangini made the call.

The call never came.

With Pennington still not 100 percent from an ankle injury he suffered last week against the Patriots, Mangini went with second-year quarterback Kellen Clemens yesterday against the Ravens. Clemens nearly rallied the Jets from a 17-3 deficit, but the fourth-quarter comeback fell short in a 20-13 loss.

Pennington spent most of the game wearing a helmet, clutching a baseball cap and holding a football while Clemens made his first NFL start. Afterward, Pennington said he could have played if Mangini had asked.

"I was ready to go," Pennington said. "I worked extremely hard to be available. With an injury like I have, it's pretty neat to be able to be ready."

The Jets have never said exactly what the injury is, although Pennington shows symptoms of having a sprained ankle. Mangini indicated after the game that "Chad is still the starter," so if Pennington is ready to play in next week's game against the Dolphins at Giants Stadium, there's a reasonable chance he'll play.

Pennington wasn't second-guessing yesterday's decision.

"Competitively, you want to play, but you never question a coach's decision," Pennington said.

How much more does Pennington have to progress to play? "I've made progress, and that's a tribute to all the people in the organization," he said.

Pennington said he was impressed with Clemens' performance, especially during the fourth quarter. After the Jets trailed 20-3, Clemens led them to a field goal and a touchdown. Clemens' first career touchdown pass came off a 3-yard fade route to tight end Chris Baker in the right corner of the end zone to make it 20-13. And down the stretch three would-be touchdown passes were dropped, two by Justin McCareins and the other by Laveranues Coles. Clemens' attempt in the end zone to McCareins went off his hands and was picked off by linebacker Ray Lewis with 1:03 to play.

"He's a gutsy player, and it was a gutsy performance," Pennington said of Clemens, who was 19-for-37 for 260 yards and two interceptions. "They gutted it out and stuck with it for 60 minutes."

Clemens won over his teammates, too.

"He stood in there and made the tough throws," receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "What a lot of people saw was his toughness."

McCareins, Coles drops passes, cost Jets game at Ravens

BY OHM YOUNGMISUK

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, September 17th 2007, 4:00 AM

BALTIMORE - First, Justin McCareins watched a sure touchdown catch bounce off his hands.

Twenty seconds later, a sliding Laveranues Coles had what would have been a more difficult touchdown catch skim off his hands. Finally, McCareins had another touchdown chance glance off his hands, a play that resulted in the game-clinching interception.

The three potential overtime-forcing touchdown receptions all slipped through their fingers, and the Jets slipped to 0-2 with a 20-13 loss to the Ravens.

Ray Lewis proved to have the most clutch hands when he came up with the pick in the end zone with 1:10 remaining after Kellen Clemens' pass ricocheted off McCareins and into the linebacker's grasp.

"We have a saying, when the ball's in the air, it's ours," Lewis said.

For almost all of the fourth quarter, the Jets' receiving corps seemed to have that attitude against Baltimore's vaunted defense. Jerricho Cotchery had the game of his life.

Cotchery caught seven passes for a career-high 165 yards and dragged defenders around the field at times. In the fourth quarter, four of his receptions went for 124 yards as he rallied his team from a 20-3 deficit to 20-13 with two minutes remaining.

After the two-minute warning, the Jets appeared to be heading to overtime when Clemens zipped a perfect pass to a streaking McCareins on second-and-11 from the Jets' 31. With only safety Ed Reed behind him and unable to prevent a sure touchdown, McCareins dropped the ball as a packed stadium breathed a sigh of relief.

"That ball was all on me," McCareins said solemnly. "I got one hand on it and just didn't get the other hand up in time."

On third-and-16 from the 36, the Ravens were called for defensive holding on Cotchery, giving the Jets five yards and an automatic first down.

On the next play, Clemens underthrew Coles, who had beaten his man. With the pass sinking and behind him, Coles got his hands on it for a split second before falling to the turf with 1:27 left.

"It is one of them plays that will probably play over and over again in my head," said Coles, who had six catches for 57 yards. "If you all have anything negative to say, you point the finger at me."

Coles did make a big play later, leaping high and snagging a 24-yard reception over cornerback Samari Rolle before being pushed out by Rolle and safety Dawan Landry at the 7-yard line. The officials conferred before deciding that Coles had indeed been pushed out, a call that is not subject to video review. Replays were only allowed to show that Coles maintained possession as he fell out of bounds.

With 1:16 remaining, Clemens threw a pass intended for McCareins that was batted incomplete. On second down, Clemens threw a ball high for McCareins above cornerback Corey Ivy. That is when the ball bounced off McCareins' hands and into Lewis' arms.

"I played with Justin for four or five years," said Baltimore wide receiver Derrick Mason, McCareins' former teammate with the Tennessee Titans. "You hate to see that. But ... I'm glad he dropped it. I'm glad Laveranues Coles did drop it. I was surprised."

Clemens' performance may be start of end for Pennington

BALTIMORE - Kellen Clemens found out about kickoff that he was going to start for Chad Pennington yesterday against one of the fiercest defenses in the NFL. And for three quarters he played like the nervous understudy melting under the glare of the hot lights.

Then a funny thing happened in the fourth quarter. The Jets coaches, desperate to get back into the game, went to a hurry-up offense. Things began to slow down for Clemens and he got comfortable. Clemens started to find his receivers for big plays - Jerricho Cotchery caught passes for 44 and 50 yards. All of a sudden a game that appeared lost was 20-13 with three minutes to play and Clemens was a few fingertips away from making things interesting - for the Ravens, for the Jets coaches and for Pennington.

After getting sacked four times, hurried seven times and knocked to the turf eight times in the first half, Clemens had a spectacular fourth quarter. He threw for 176 yards and a touchdown. But he underthrew Laveranues Coles in the end zone, and Justin McCareins dropped a sure TD pass on a crossing pattern and then had one bounce off his hands in the end zone that was intercepted by Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis.

"The last three big passes - the two to Justin and the one to Laveranues - we were just a little bit off," Clemens said. "It's frustrating, but that blame doesn't fall on anyone."

The Jets fell short, 20-13, and dropped to 0-2. But they have discovered a quarterback of the future. How distant is that future? The heat is on the Jets and Pennington. At the very least, Clemens played his way into another start while Pennington rests his sprained ankle.

The cruel Jets fans had cheered when Pennington went down and hobbled off the field last week against the Patriots. They were probably sickened by what they had done after three quarters of watching the Ravens chase Clemens around the field like a fugitive yesterday.

Now, they have some ammunition.

The line shows that Clemens was 19-of-37 for 260 yards, sacked four times, threw one touchdown pass and two interceptions. It does not tell the whole story: the tale of two halves.

"In the course of the game you try not to kick yourself too much," he said. "You look at the pictures, try to learn from it and move on. I'll probably kick myself when I look at the tape tomorrow."

Clemens was asked whether he thought he deserved another starting shot.

"Gosh. It's tough to say," Clemens said. "We'll go in on Monday and look at the tape and evaluate it. Then the coaches will make their decision."

Eric Mangini was quick to put down any notion that there was a brewing quarterback controversy.

"Chad is still the starter," Mangini said in his no-nonsense manner.

Pennington suited up and took some snaps during warmups before the game yesterday. He didn't look too steady dropping back and it would have been cruel to put a gimpy Pennington in the pocket against Lewis' ravenous bunch.

"I just thought at that point (during warmups) that Kellen gave us the best chance this week," Mangini said.

And Mangini's review of his backup?

"I thought he showed great poise," Mangini said. "This is a guy making his first start against an outstanding defense that gives multiple looks and pressure. He took their best shot and kept coming. There obviously were some things to work on, but there were a lot of positives."

The Ravens were also without their starter, Steve McNair, yesterday, instead going with backup Kyle Boller. The Jets let Boller off easy. The unit still doesn't have a sack and hasn't forced a fumble.

The Jets are in an 0-2 hole and don't want to drop any further. But things have gotten significantly more interesting in the backfield after what Clemens did against the Ravens in the fourth quarter.

Clemens believes his actions at the end are a reflection of the overall attitude of the team.

"It says we're not out," he said. "We're 0-2 and it's not the start that anyone dreamed up. We competed until the last seconds of this game. That shows a lot about the heart and the character of this team. We're disappointed with the loss, but we'll go back to work on Monday and get ready for the Dolphins."

Clemens played well enough to get another call next week.

tsmith@nydailynews.com

Kellen Clemens impresses as Jets fall short to Ravens

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Read Rich Cimini's The Jets Stream

BALTIMORE - For the first time in Eric Mangini's 18-game tenure, the Jets are two games under .500 - a big, fat 0-2. Ordinarily, that would be cause for panic, especially with such lofty preseason expectations, but they walked out of M&T Bank Stadium yesterday with hope. They got it from Kellen Clemens. In his first NFL start, he recorded a save.

Their young quarterback saved them from embarrassment and, perhaps, doubt.

"We know we let one get away," safety Kerry Rhodes said after the 20-13 loss to the Ravens, "but we're going to be fine."

Justin McCareins let a couple get away on the final drive, dropping two potential touchdown passes in a span of six plays - the latter of which went off his fingers and into the welcoming hands of linebacker Ray Lewis, a comeback-killing interception in the end zone. It was a tease, a crushing way to end a spirited fourth quarter, but their 10-point rally in the final 10 minutes was a feel-good ****tail that can help to resurrect their season.

"It's something to get excited about," wide receiver Laveranues Coles said.

It will definitely get the fans excited because nothing stirs the emotions quite like a quarterback controversy. Clemens (19-for-37, 260 yards) made some rookie-like mistakes against the blitz-happy Ravens, but he passed for 176 yards and a touchdown in the fourth quarter, creating an interesting decision for Mangini: Clemens or a gimpy Chad Pennington for next week's virtual must-win against the Dolphins?

Mangini said it slowly and clearly - "Chad is still the starter" - but the starter's sprained right ankle still isn't right. Pennington was well enough to dress, but he's still walking with a limp.

Pennington wants back in - the Jets are 7-17 when he is out injured - but Mangini might be tempted to let it ride with Clemens, who showed his resilience after getting pounded for three quarters. He was sacked four times, all on blitzes, but he kept bouncing off the grass.

"He took their best shot and kept coming back," said Mangini, commending Clemens' toughness.

"He was getting blasted," said tight end Chris Baker, who made it 20-13 with a diving catch in the end zone.

Indeed, the Jets were dreadful for three quarters. They couldn't protect Clemens, who didn't do a very good job of recognizing the blitzes. They couldn't cover tight end Todd Heap, who made a circus catch on a 4-yard touchdown pass that made it 17-3 - one of his seven receptions. They also couldn't get any pressure on Kyle Boller (23-for-35, 185 yards, two TD passes), who started for the injured Steve McNair (groin).

After two games, the Jets' defense has no takeaways and no sacks. You know things are bad when your best tackle has come from a security chief, Steve Yarnall, who busted Bill Belichick's personal videographer last week.

Yesterday, it didn't take a spy with a video camera to figure out what was happening to the Jets: They were getting pounded by a superior team. But, with clutch help from wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (seven catches for a career-high 165 yards), Clemens led the Jets to a field goal, a touchdown and an almost-touchdown.

After a sensational catch-and-run by Cotchery that went for 50 yards, the Jets got the ball to the Ravens' 31 with two minutes to play. Then came three golden shots to tie the game. As Clemens said, "Three big passes that were just a little bit off."

The killer play was a drop by McCareins, who broke free on a post route. The ball clanged off his hands at the 5, an easy touchdown if he held on.

"I just couldn't get both hands on it," he said quietly. "I know I can make that play. It's just a shame I let the guys down. We had a chance to really make it a game. I just didn't get it done."

After two penalties, Clemens threw again for the end zone, this time for Coles. But he made like Chien-Ming Wang, with a sinker that nosedived into the grass. Coles felt he could've caught it anyway.

"Somehow, some way, Laveranues has to come up with that play," Coles said.

Then, on a second-and-goal from the 7, Clemens threw into the end zone for McCareins. The ball was high, but McCareins is 6-2 with a 40-inch vertical leap, and he jumped above the crowd around him. Another drop. He didn't make any excuses; he said he should have made the game-tying catch.

"Yeah, it's crazy," Ravens linebacker Bart Scott said. "Those guys helped us out a little bit by dropping some balls."

It could've been worse.

"We're 0-2, not the start we dreamed of," Clemens said, sounding like a seasoned vet, "but there's a long way to go."

Chad Pennington was 'ready' to play, but stays No. 2

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

BALTIMORE - Chad Pennington arrived five hours before kickoff, perhaps hoping he could convince Eric Mangini his sprained right ankle was well enough for him to start against the Ravens yesterday. Nice try, but it didn't work.

Pennington was in uniform for the Jets' 20-13 loss, but he was the No.2 quarterback - the first time in his tenure as the starter he dressed for a game but didn't play. He was disappointed, but he didn't take issue with Mangini's call to start Kellen Clemens.

"Competitively, you want to play, but I don't ever question coaches' decisions," he said. "He's our head coach and he makes the final decisions."

Despite a slight limp, Pennington said he "was ready to go. I worked extremely hard and prepared extremely hard to be available. With an injury like I have, it's pretty neat to be able to do what I've done in a week" - an inference that his injury might be more severe than initially reported.

Clemens was Mangini's choice from mid-week, but he didn't make it official until yesterday, according to both quarterbacks.

"Kellen gave us the best chance this week," said Mangini, adding, "Chad is still the starter."

Expect another week of QB secrecy from Mangini as the Jets prepare to face the Dolphins.

KICK IN THE PANTS: Mangini sounded disgusted with his kickoff-coverage unit, and with good reason. A week after surrendering a 108-yard kickoff return to Ellis Hobbs of the Patriots, they were gashed by Yamon Figurs for a 61-yard return that set up a field goal.

"We're going to get 11 guys that are going to cover kickoffs," Mangini said sternly. "It doesn't matter who it is. If you're on our team, you've got a shot to be on kickoffs."

This week, LB Jonathan Vilma was used on the coverage unit.

WHERE THERE'S A WILLIS: The Jets finally held Willis McGahee under 100 yards - barely. He rushed for 97, snapping his five-game streak of 100-yard games against the Jets. He began the streak as a member of the Bills.

"They got used to their scheme, the 3-4," McGahee said. "I had good success against them when they first got into it. Now they're used to it. I knew it wasn't going to be one of those games where I come out and get 150 yards."

McGahee hurt them another way, recording the first TD reception of his career. He was wide open on a play-action play after LB Bryan Thomas got caught out of position.

NO RETURN: KR Justin Miller left the field in the second quarter with a knee injury. He didn't return. No word on the severity. ... The Jets are 0-2 for the first time since 2003, when they finished 6-10. ... Mike Nugent missed a 52-yard FG attempt, snapping his streak at 19, three shy of Pat Leahy's team record. ... C Nick Mangold caught his first NFL pass - by accident. It came on a deflection, and he lost 3 yards. ... CB Andre Dyson made his 2007 debut, but he was limited to dime-package duty. Rookie Darrelle Revis started again.

JETS

Clemens drives Jets within a fingertip

Monday, September 17, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

BALTIMORE -- Justin McCareins was open in the Baltimore secondary, a few strides away from the end zone. He dropped the ball.

Laveranues Coles was open near the goal line two plays later. But he couldn't come up with a diving grab when Kellen Clemens' pass was underthrown.

Finally, McCareins was open for a split second at the goal line four plays later. Clemens' high pass deflected off his outstretched hands and into the grasp of Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis, ending the Jets' final possession.

For three-plus quarters Sunday, the Jets' offense seemed to be miles away from connecting against the tough Baltimore defense. But in the final minutes, the distance decreased to agonizing inches. And that made their 20-13 loss to the Ravens that much tougher to digest.

"I was proud of the way they fought," coach Eric Mangini said of the 0-2 Jets, who trailed, 20-3, after Matt Stover's 43-yard field goal on the first play of the fourth quarter.

Bottom line

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kellen Clemens and the Jets showed resiliency and toughness in the fourth quarter, but they're still in an 0-2 hole.

Best move

With the Jets down by 17 points and a little more than 10 minutes remaining, Eric Mangini opted to kick a field goal to trail by only two scores.

What was he thinking?

A wide-open Justin McCareins dropped a likely touchdown pass that would have tied the game, pending a PAT.

Bright spot

Clemens was sacked four times in the first three quarters, but in the final period he showed the arm and the poise that the Jets' management has raved about.

Look ahead

Chad Pennington (ankle) was the No. 2 quarterback Sunday and should be back next week when the Jets host Miami in a game between 0-2 teams.

But Mangini cautioned that his team needs "to be able to play consistently at that level through four quarters."

For the first three quarters, the game looked eerily similar to the last Jets-Ravens game, two years ago. You know the script -- a young quarterback making his first start (Brooks Bollinger then, Clemens on Sunday) is given a rough introduction by perhaps the most physical and intimidating defense in the NFL, while the pedestrian Baltimore offense grinds out just enough to make the defensive effort hold up.

And while Bollinger was sacked five times, Clemens was dropped four times, and hit on numerous other occasions. Yet he got up every time, and finally got boxing fan Mangini's team off the canvas in the fourth quarter.

First came a 10-play, 68-yard drive to Mike Nugent's 21-yard field goal with 10:05 to go. Baltimore (1-1) ran 3:18 off the clock before punting, and the Jets came right back with an 81-yard drive. Clemens, who said he found out just before game time that he would be the starter, capped it with a 3-yard flip to Chris Baker in the right corner of the end zone.

A Baltimore three-and-out set up the final frustrating Jets' drive. Clemens, who was 19-for-37 for 260 yards with two interceptions, made a perfect throw to an open McCareins near the 5-yard line. But McCareins couldn't hold on.

"That ball was all on me," McCareins said in a quiet visiting locker room. "I got one hand on it and just didn't get the other hand up in time. ... I just didn't get it done."

Neither did Clemens in another big spot, when he admittedly underthrew an open Coles. Clemens' final pass was high, and it tipped off the hands of a leaping McCareins into the grateful grasp of Lewis.

"I rushed the throw a little bit because he was in traffic," Clemens said. "I rushed the throw a little bit and just didn't [get] it down, and it was costly."

McCareins, however, indicated it was catchable.

"No doubt," he said. "That was one of the plays I know I can make, and I just didn't get it done when it counted."

"Those guys helped us out a little bit and dropped some balls," Baltimore linebacker Bart Scott said.

"We were just a little bit off" on the last drive, Clemens said.

And those lapses mean that a pair of 0-2 teams will face each other when Miami comes to the Meadowlands next week.

"It's not the start that anybody dreamed up," said Clemens, but he also noted, "It was great to see us respond to the adversity" of the first three quarters.

"I feel the talent is here" to win, said wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who had seven receptions for 165 yards and sparked the fourth-quarter rally. "Now we just have to put it together for four quarters."

"We're OK," said Baker. "It's not a two-game season. It's a 16-game season."

The Jets hope these two games aren't the beginning of a long season.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Chad's making progress

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

EAST RUTHERFORD -- As the Jets warmed up on the field Sunday, there was Chad Pennington, one week removed from an injury. He was practicing dropbacks and doing some agility drills, all in an effort to see if his mending right ankle had healed enough for him to start.

"I was ready to go," Pennington said. "I worked extremely hard and prepared really hard."

Pennington spent most of the week, by his own estimation, in the trainer's room. "I've made progress," he said. "That's a tribute to all the people around me both inside and outside the organization."

Still, despite all of that progress, coach Eric Mangini decided to start backup Kellen Clemens. "I just thought Kellen gave us the best chance this week," Mangini said.

"As a competitor, you want to play," Pennington said. "But I don't ever question a coach's decision."

Pennington indicated he hopes to start next week, and unless he has a setback, he most likely will. Mangini reiterated that "Chad is still the starter."

NO DEJA VU: Once again, Chris Baker made a disputed catch in the right side of the end zone. But unlike against Cleveland last year, this one counted for a touchdown.

Baker made a 3-yard touchdown reception with 3:12 left to pull the Jets within 20-13. Baltimore coach Brian Billick challenged the call, but the replay review upheld the officials' ruling on the field.

"I knew I dragged my feet [inbounds],'' Baker said. "I wasn't too concerned about [the replay challenge]. The film doesn't lie."

Against Cleveland last season, Baker made a spectacular grab late in the game with the Jets trailing by seven, but was knocked out of bounds before he could get his feet down. Replays showed it should've been ruled a forceout, but wasn't. However, a forceout call has to be made on the field, so it wasn't a catch.

Too bad for Baker that Sunday's crew didn't work last year's Jets-Browns game. These officials ruled two receptions as good because of the forceout rule, one by Baltimore's Demetrius Williams and the other by the Jets' Laveranues Coles.

BRIEFS: CB-KR Justin Miller injured his right knee when he was tackled on a second-quarter kickoff return. He didn't return to the game. ... Baltimore DT Trevor Pryce left the game with a broken wrist. ... LG Jacob Bender, who started the last two preseason games, was inactive for the second consecutive week. ... Mike Nugent came up gimpy after he was blocked in the back by Quinn Sypniewski during a second-quarter Baltimore kickoff return. No penalty was called but Nugent stayed in the game. He missed wide left from 52 yards but later converted a 21-yard field goal.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Too close for Ravens' comfort

End-zone interception preserves 1st win; Boller throws for 2 TDs in starting role

By Jamison Hensley | Sun reporter

September 17, 2007

If the Ravens are going to make a championship run, they first have to learn how not to trip over themselves.

A week after the offense gave the season opener away with turnovers, the Ravens defense needed a late Ray Lewis interception in the end zone to avoid a dramatic fourth-quarter collapse and escape with a 20-13 victory over the New York Jets before an anxious 71,246 at M&T Bank Stadium.

Holding a 17-point lead in the fourth quarter, the Ravens sweated out the final two minutes because of uncharacteristic defensive breakdowns. Missed tackles, shoddy coverage and an untimely penalty put New York in prime position to send the game into overtime.

Backup quarterback Kellen Clemens, who was replacing an injured Chad Pennington, marched the Jets to the Ravens' 7-yard line before his final pass went off the outstretched hands of Justin McCareins in the end zone and fell into the arms of Lewis.

In the end, only three miscues by the Jets around the goal line (two drops by McCareins and a low throw by Clemens) allowed the Ravens to even their record at 1-1.

"Nothing's ever easy for us," said Lewis, who played with strained triceps in his right arm. "I've learned that when you get someone down, you have to put them away. But the bottom line is we won. No ifs, ands or buts. We won."

For three quarters, the Ravens dominated the Jets behind their usually relentless defense and the inspired play of backup quarterback Kyle Boller, who replaced an injured Steve McNair (sore groin) for his first start in 20 months.

But the Ravens nearly melted down once tight end Chris Baker scored a 3-yard touchdown to close the Jets to 20-13 with 3:12 left in the game.

After the Ravens barely recovered an onside kick, coach Brian Billick decided to pass the ball on first down instead of running it, which would have used up clock and forced the Jets to call timeouts.

On the questionable play call - which followed a series of ones from last week - Boller's pass was incomplete to receiver Demetrius Williams, who leapt high on the sideline, came down hard and bruised his arm. The Ravens subsequently punted, giving the ball back to New York after using 34 seconds of the clock.

"We took a shot," Billick said.

The Jets capitalized on the first play, when Jerricho Cotchery broke free for a 50-yard catch after Ravens safety Ed Reed failed to wrap him up 14 yards downfield.

After the two-minute warning, a wide-open McCareins dropped a pass 7 yards from the end zone. But with the Jets facing a third-and-16, Ravens defensive back Gerome Sapp was called for holding, giving New York a first down at the Ravens' 31.

Clemens then one-hopped a throw to a wide-open Laveranues Coles, who had turned around safety Dawan Landry with a move, around the goal line. Coles later caught a 24-yard pass to get the Jets to the Ravens' 7, but New York couldn't convert.

On second-and-goal, Clemens' pass deflected off McCareins' hands, and Lewis intercepted it to preserve the win with 1:03 remaining in the game.

"This is a great defense, but they get paid also," Ravens linebacker Bart Scott said. "Next time, we have to show that killer instinct and put teams away. When you got them down, you got to bury them."

For the first three quarters, the Ravens' defense held the Jets to 107 total yards and a field goal. In the fourth quarter, the Ravens allowed 197 yards and 10 points.

"We can't help teams beat us," linebacker Terrell Suggs said. "Down the stretch, we have to play fundamental football. If we do that, we'll be all right."

In a strange role reversal, the Ravens' defense can learn from their offense, which bounced back from six turnovers in the season opener.

Without McNair and offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden (toe), the Ravens offense followed the lead of Boller.

Criticized for his inconsistency during his three-year run as starter, Boller showed composure, hitting 23 of 35 passes for 185 yards and two touchdowns.

"I have a real understanding of the offense," Boller said. "It should be this way in my fifth year. I would expect it to be that way. But I still have a lot of work to do."

On the Ravens' third series, Boller completed all six of his passes, accounting for 53 of the 65 yards on the drive and showing control throughout. Capping the 11-play drive with a touchdown, he rolled out to his right, waited for Jets linebacker Bryan Thomas to rush and threw a 2-yard touchdown pass to an uncovered Willis McGahee.

"I can do whatever they want me to do when my number's called," said McGahee, who rushed 26 times for 97 yards in addition to scoring his first career receiving touchdown. "I was like, whatever you do Willis, do not drop this ball. You will not get another chance like this."

Both teams traded field goals in the second quarter - Boller was nearly intercepted on the Ravens' field-goal drive - before the Ravens caught a break just before halftime.

Boller's 4-yard touchdown pass to tight end Todd Heap was initially ruled incomplete until the officials reviewed the film. The replay showed that Heap dragged his right foot inbounds on the left side of the end zone, giving the Ravens a 17-3 lead with six seconds left in the second quarter.

It was a rewarding reversal for Heap, who had a game-tying touchdown negated six days ago in Cincinnati when officials called a questionable pass interference penalty on him.

"They tried to take that one away from me," Heap said with a laugh. "It was close. I tried to get my feet in as best I could."

Although that lead barely held up, the Ravens showed they could win without being at full strength.

The Ravens entered the game with eight players listed as questionable and lost defensive lineman Trevor Pryce in the third quarter with a broken wrist.

"[This effort] says we're a pretty resilient team," Heap said. "Everybody was asking last week, 'What are you going to do?' The next guy steps up. You're not going to throw in the towel and give up. To win a ballgame in that fashion can only help us out in the long run."

jamison.hensley@baltsun.com

1 2 next

McCareins can't catch a break for Jets

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: September 17, 2007)

BALTIMORE - Justin McCareins spoke evenly but quietly, accepting the responsibility for not being able to grab two potential game-tying catches.

"I just know I have to make that play and I let my team down," the Jets' wide receiver said after yesterday's 20-13 loss to the Ravens at M&T Stadium. "Kellen (Clemens) did a great job today, especially toward the end of the game, and we just didn't make plays for him."

McCareins and Clemens, the second-year quarterback who started with Chad Pennington still nursing a sore right ankle, had developed a strong chemistry through the offseason and preseason games.

So it wasn't surprising that Clemens looked McCareins' way twice on the final drive and the Jets trailing by a touchdown.

On the first play after the 2-minute warning, a second-and-11 from the Ravens' 31-yard line, McCareins ran a post down the right side and Clemens threw the ball just as a wide-open McCareins made his break toward the middle of the field. The ball went through the receiver's hands as he stood 3 yards shy of the goal line.

"We just made an adjustment on that route, and I got open and I just couldn't get both hands on it," said McCareins, who made one catch for 10 yards. "I know I can make that play, and it's just a shame that I let the guys down. We could have had a chance to really make it a game. I just didn't get it done."

Then, on a second-and-goal from the Ravens 7, Clemens found McCareins in the middle of the end zone. But the ball bounced off McCareins' hands and was intercepted by Ravens' linebacker Ray Lewis.

"No doubt," McCareins said when asked if he should have caught it. "Those are plays I know I can make and I have made and I just didn't get it done when it counted."

Clemens said there was blame to spread all around.

"It was just a general read, and there was a defensive back kind of trailing one of our other receivers and Justin came open at the last minute," Clemens said. "He ran a great route, he was right in the right spot. I rushed the throw a little bit, but he was in traffic. So I rushed the throw a little bit and just didn't pull it down and it was costly."

So instead of connecting frequently with McCareins, Clemens seemed to developed a quick chemistry with Jerricho Cotchery, who caught seven passes for 165 yards. That included a 50-yard reception to start the Jets' final drive and advance them to the Ravens 30 after safety Ed Reed missed a tackle.

"It was a match-up we were taking notice of," said Cotchery, who limped off the field twice in the fourth quarter but returned both times. "We were trying to get back to that play during the course of the game. And you get different looks and you say, 'OK, we're going to get back to this play.' I made a move outside and I came back in and Kellen put the ball there and I was just trying to make a play after that."

Jets extra points

Good calls: Three plays were reviewed yesterday: Ravens tight end Todd Heap's 4-yard touchdown pass with six seconds left in the first half, Jets tight end Chris Baker's 3-yard touchdown pass with 3:12 left in the fourth quarter and wide receiver Laveranues Coles' 24-yard catch to the Ravens' 7-yard line on the Jets' final drive. Ravens coach Brian Billick challenged the Baker touchdown, but it was ruled he had his feet inbounds. The other two were automatically reviewed because they came with less than two minutes left in the half, and Heap had the initial call of incomplete overturned. It was ruled Samari Rolle pushed Coles out of bounds. "I wasn't too worried when they reviewed it, I knew I had it and kicked my back foot down," said Baker, who had an apparent last-second touchdown catch ruled out of bounds in a 20-13 loss at Cleveland last season. "They did a good job. That's what the review system is set up for."

Under 100: Ex-Bills running back Willis McGahee entered yesterday with five straight 100-yard games against the Jets. He just missed No. 6, gaining 97 yards on 26 carries. "I knew it was going to be a tough game," said McGahee, in his first season with the Ravens. "I knew it wasn't going to be one of those games where I come out and get 150 yards." McGahee's 2-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter was the first touchdown reception of his NFL career.

Bad catch: Jets center Nick Mangold was credited with the first reception of his NFL career - actually, ever - when a deflected pass from Kellen Clemens wound up in his hands for a 3-yard loss late in the third quarter. "That was a complete accident," Mangold said. "I was just trying to make sure nobody else got it. I looked up and they spotted it there and then I felt bad because we lost yardage on it."

This and that: The Ravens' Adam Terry switched from right tackle to left tackle to start in place of the injured Jonathan Ogden (toe). Rookie Marshal Yanka started at right tackle, and the Ravens did not allow a sack. ... The attendance of 71,246 set a Baltimore record, which includes Colts games. ... Ravens rookie Yamon Figurs, subbing for injured kick returner B.J. Sams, brought back the first kick return of his NFL career 61 yards to set up Matt Stover's 28-yard field goal which gave Baltimore a 10-3 lead with 9:37 left in the first half.

Injury report: For the Jets - Kick returner Justin Miller hurt his right knee on a 22-yard return with 9:32 left in the second quarter. He did not return.

For the Ravens - Defensive tackle Trevor Pryce broke his left wrist 58 seconds into the second half and did not return. Wide receiver Demetrius Williams injured his left wrist with 3:02 left in the fourth quarter and did not return.

Andrew Gross

Jets fall short, lose to Ravens 20-13

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

BALTIMORE - Three times late in the fourth quarter Kellen Clemens lofted the football toward the end zone with a receiver in place to catch the potential tying touchdown. The first two were incomplete, the third intercepted.

So the Jets returned to New York winless in their first two games after a 20-13 loss to the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium yesterday. And despite Clemens rallying the team as Chad Pennington stood on the sideline as his backup after injuring his right ankle last week, the Jets also came home free of a quarterback controversy heading into next Sunday's home game against the Dolphins.

"Chad is still the starter," said Jets coach Eric Mangini, who kept yesterday's quarterback decision well hidden until shortly before kickoff.

The Jets have started 0-2 for the 15th time in the franchise's 48 seasons and the first time since 2003.

That's three more times than the team has made the playoffs in its history. And only twice have the Jets recovered from an 0-2 to reach the postseason, including the 1998 season, when Bill Parcells coached the team for the AFC championship game.

"It's a tough loss," Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said. "But the morale of this team is great. We know that one got away today, but the Ravens played a great game as well. But we're going to be fine."

Clemens, a second-round pick out of Oregon in 2006, was sacked four times in the first three quarters but completed 19 of 37 passes for 260 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions in his first NFL start.

"As they game grew on, I got more and more comfortable," said the 24-year-old Clemens, whose second pass of the game was intercepted by safety Ed Reed. "The play in the first half, in particular, was not what it should have been. By the second half, things slowed down. I calmed down, and we moved the football."

The Jets cut Baltimore's lead to 20-13 with 3:12 left in the fourth quarter on Clemens' 3-yard pass to Chris Baker, a play that was reviewed to see if the tight end dragged both feet inbounds. The drive included completions of 44 and 23 yards to Jerricho Cotchery.

Clemens also completed a 50-yard pass to Cotchery on the Jets' next series. But a wide-open McCareins let a perfectly thrown ball slip through his hands just shy of the Ravens' goal line off a second-and-11 at the Baltimore 31. Clemens then underthrew a wide-open Laveranues Coles in the end zone but connected with Coles on a 24-yard pass to the Ravens 7.

However, Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis intercepted Clemens in the end zone with 1:04 to play in the fourth quarter after the ball went through wide receiver Justin McCareins' hands on a second-and-goal from the Ravens' 7-yard line.

"The last three big passes, the two to Justin and the one to Laveranues, we were just a little bit off," Clemens said. "It's frustrating, and that blame doesn't fall on anyone."

Both Clemens and Pennington said they did not find out until yesterday that Clemens would start.

The 31-year-old Pennington, who started all 16 regular-season games in 2006 for the first time in his career, limped slightly but otherwise looked well enough to play during the pregame warm-ups, taking three-step drops and rolling both to his left and right to test his sore ankle. However, when Clemens took all the snaps with the first team in the pregame drills, the choice became apparent.

"I was ready to go," Pennington said. "I worked extremely hard and prepared really hard to be available. Competitively, you want to play but I don't ever question Coach's decision.

"(Clemens) is a gutsy player and it was a gutsy performance by him as well as by a bunch of our offensive guys," Pennington said.

The Ravens, too, had a new starting quarterback this week as Kyle Boller subbed for Steve McNair, who injured his groin in last week's 27-20 loss at Cincinnati.

Boller completed 23 of 35 for 185 yards and two touchdowns, including a 4-yard pass to Todd Heap with six seconds left in the first half that was initially ruled incomplete because the tight end appeared to be juggling the ball as he tried to keep his feet inbounds.

"They tried to take that one away from me," Heap said, laughing. "It was close. I tried to get my feet in as best I could. I didn't know, I couldn't see. But as soon as I saw the replay up on the screen, that was when it was pretty definite. I'm glad we were able to get that one overturned."

Reach Andrew Gross at apgross@lohud.com and read his Jets' blog at www.jets.lohudblogs.com. E-MAIL ART

Post-game conversation with Kellen Clemens

By Craig Thomas

Posted Sep 17, 2007

Q)Why was the offense so much better in the fourth quarter?

Clemens: I think offensively the fourth quarter was out best quarter. We needed to score, and we needed to score quick. Jericho had two big receptions, and we moved the football and got back in the game.

Q)What do you do down the stretch that was so effective?

Clemens: We has a shotgun down the stretch. The no-huddle offense helped us and we had to do it. There was an extreme sense of urgency. It's good to see us compete that way.

Q)What was it like to face the Ravens defense?

Clemens: They were everything they were talked up to be, that's for sure. They're very talented. Ed Reed flying around back there making plays in the secondary, and Ray Lewis and that defensive line. They are very talented and kept us in check most of the game.

Q)What happened on the Justin McCareins pass in the end zone?

Clemens: It was just a general read, and there was a defensive back trailing one of our receivers, and Justin came open at the last minute. He ran a great route and was in the right spot. I rushed the throw a little bit, and it was costly.

Q)You seemed to get more comfortable in the fourth quarter . . .

Clemens: As the game grew on, I got more and more comfortable. My play in the first half was not what it should have been. And by the second half, things slowed down a little bit and I calmed down, and we were able to move the football.

Roger Goodell's investigation of Bill Belichick only starting

BY HANK GOLA

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

FOXBORO - Bill Belichick desperately wants to put SpyGate behind him, but commissioner Roger Goodell's investigation may only be starting.

As Patriots fans were giving Belichick a rousing standing ovation before last night's game against the Chargers last night, NBC reported the Jets probably will ask the NFL to look into the Patriots' use of unauthorized radio frequencies. There have been reports the Patriots were wiring their defensive players' helmets to pick up the quarterback's audibles, a practice that could be especially beneficial against no-huddle offenses such as the one the Jets were using.

In an interview on NBC's pregame show, Goodell said the league will monitor "all 32 clubs, Patriots included.

"We've heard a lot of rumors about things that have been done, either with audio, player-coach communication," he said.

Reports also surfaced that Goodell had ordered the Patriots to turn over all videotape and materials related to the team's stealing of opposing coaches' sideline signals. Goodell, who fined Belichick $500,000 and docked the Patriots conditional draft picks, would impose further sanctions on the team if it does not comply or if it copies the tapes and files in question. Goodell also told NBC that there could be more penalties for the Pats if he gets information that is not consistent with the information he already has.

According to league spokesman Greg Aiello, this is not a new development but just part of Goodell's promise to review and monitor the team's videotaping procedures. It will also ensure that the Patriots cannot use the information they accumulated against future opponents. That was the crux of Belichick's argument - that his "interpretation" of the rule meant he could not apply the video data on that particular day.

In the days before he was hit by the commissioner with a $500,000 fine, Belichick had agreed to a contract extension that would keep him in New England through the 2013 season. There had been speculation that Belichick's contract would expire after this season, when the coach is reportedly making $4.2 million. Estimates are the new deal will pay him anywhere between $6 million and $8 million annually. None of those numbers have been divulged by the Patriots.

The turbulent week for New England included criticism from Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

"I think the Patriots live by the saying, 'If you're not cheating, you're not trying,'" said Tomlinson.

That opinion was echoed in locker rooms around the league, particularly those who had lost big games to the Pats over the years.

It seemed as if Belichick had created the very thing he abhors, a distraction. And this one doesn't look as though it's going away.

Cotchery makes highlight move ... short of end zone

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

BALTIMORE -- Jets fourth-year wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery nearly put the Ravens defense on the highlight reel for the rest of the season for all the wrong reasons.

On a first down at the Jets' 20-yard line with 2:38 left to play, quarterback Kellen Clemens hit Cotchery on a comeback route in the middle of the field. Cotchery caught the ball, shook off a tackle by Pro Bowl safety Ed Reed and sprinted 20 yards down the sideline before being run down at the Ravens' 30-yard line.

The play resembled the great catch Cotchery made against the Patriots last season, when he bounced off two defenders, somehow kept his balanced and raced to the end zone for a 71-yard touchdown in Week 2. That play was replayed all season.

"It was a matchup (versus Reed) that we were taking notice of," said Cotchery, who also had a 44-yard reception and finished with seven catches for 165 yards, his third career 100-yard game. "We were trying to get back to that play during the course of the game. ... Finally, we got back to that play and it was just a route where I have to get open in the coverage. I made a move outside and I came back in and Kellen put the ball there and I was just trying to make a play after that."

Said coach Eric Mangini: "(Cotchery) is just a special player. I admire his competitiveness, his toughness. ... You love to coach guys like that."

QB Chad Pennington said he was ready if needed yesterday. After hardly being able to walk on Wednesday, he showed the coaches during a pregame workout that he was capable of backing up Clemens yesterday.

"Chad did an outstanding job all this week where he could be the No. 2 quarterback," Mangini said. "I just thought Kellen gave us the best chance to win."

Said Pennington: "I was ready to go. I worked every day to be available. I'm proud of the medical staff. Coming back from the injury I had it was neat to be able to do what I was. I lived in that training room. ... He (Clemens) is a gutsy player and it was a gutsy performance."

The Jets are 8-20 without Pennington.

Jets Pro Bowl cornerback Justin Miller suffered what appeared to be a serious right knee injury while returning a second-quarter kickoff when he was twisted in a pile after a 22-yard return. He was helped to the sideline, examined and then taken to the locker room.

Miller, who suffered a right hamstring injury in training camp, has yet to recover fully after a strong start in training camp, where he seemed to be challenging for a starting job at cornerback. He tweaked the hamstring injury last week against the Patriots.

Jets RB Thomas Jones rushed for 67 yards on 24 carries against the Ravens' bruising defense. He seemed to get stronger with the more carries he received and provided a peek at the type of back he can be.

K Mike Nugent, who kicked a 50-yarder in the first quarter for his 19th consecutive field goal over two seasons, had his string snapped when he missed a 52-yarder in the second quarter. His streak was the second-longest in Jets history behind Pat Leahy (22 straight).

Ravens RB Willis McGahee rushed for 97 yards on 26 carries and had two catches for 6 yards, including his first career TD reception on a 2-yard catch. Entering the game, McGahee had rushed for 705 yards in six career games versus the Jets while with the Bills, including five straight 100-yard games and a career-high 150-yard performance in 2006.

"The Jets are a good team," he said. "I knew it was going to be a tough game. I knew it wasn't going to be one of those games (where) I come out and I get 150 yards."

Said Jets LB Jonathan Vilma: "We did a good job. We thought he would be a key feature to their offense. We thought we did a good job, but we could have done a better job."

OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson gave up a sack. The other three sacks on Clemens came on blitzes by defensive backs who came in untouched. RG Brandon Moore said most of the sacks came on plays when the Ravens simply had more rushers than the Jets had blockers.

NT Dewayne Robertson (six tackles) and Vilma (10 tackles) played well. ... The Jets had just two penalties for 10 yards compared to 11 penalties for 100 yards by the Ravens. ... Three plays were reviewed, touchdown catches by Ravens TE Todd Heap, Jets TE Chris Baker and a key 23-yard catch by Jets WR Laveranues Coles on the team's final potential game-tying drive, and each was upheld. ... Rookie LG Jacob Bender, LB Cody Spencer, CB Drew Coleman and TE Joe Kowalewski were among the inactives.

Jets' late rally falls short for Clemens

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

BALTIMORE -- One fourth quarter does not an NFL career make. But when you have the fourth quarter that quarterback Kellen Clemens had yesterday -- against the league's most intimidating and talent-rich defense -- there's plenty of reason for the Jets to think they might have a special player on their hands.

Clemens, battered and bruised for three quarters by a relentless, blitzing Ravens attack, literally got off the turf to lead the Jets to 10 fourth-quarter points. He came within two drops by wide receiver Justin McCareins and a slightly underthrown pass to wide receiver Laveranues Coles of engineering a game-tying drive late in the fourth quarter.

As it was, Clemens' last pass landed in the arms of Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis with 1:03 to play, sealing Baltimore's 20-13 victory at M&T Bank Stadium. It was the lone blemish on an otherwise stellar final quarter for Clemens, making his first pro start because Chad Pennington hadn't recovered fully from a right ankle injury that kept him out of practice almost all of last week.

After struggling against the Ravens defense for three quarters, Clemens completed 10 of 19 passes for 177 yards and a touchdown in the final 15 minutes. It wasn't enough to lead a Jets comeback but might be enough to spark a quarterback controversy, despite coach Eric Mangini's best efforts to defuse it before it begins.

"I thought he showed great poise," Mangini said of Clemens, later adding that Pennington is still the team's starter. "This is a guy making his first start against an outstanding defense that gives multiple looks and pressure. He took their best shot and kept coming. ... There obviously were some things to work on, but there were a lot of positives."

Pennington did well enough in a pregame workout to prove to the coaches he could be the backup. Although he and Clemens insisted they didn't know who the starter would be, Mangini made that decision early last week. Clemens worked with the first team throughout the Jets' preparations for the Ravens.

"They (the Ravens) were everything they were talked up to be," said Clemens (19-for-37, 260 yards, one touchdown, two interceptions).

He was sacked four times, three on blitzes by defensive backs who came in untouched, and took a pounding all game.

Clemens, a second-round pick in the 2006 draft, played as well as advertised.

"Everyone knows (Clemens) is a talented guy, and today I think a lot of people saw his toughness," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (seven catches, 165 yards) said. "He stood in the pocket and made some tough throws."

So did Ravens backup quarterback Kyle Boller (23 of 35 for 185 yards, two TDs, no INTs), who replaced an injured Steve McNair (groin). The Ravens (1-1), playing with a makeshift line in the absence of Pro Bowl left tackle Jonathan Ogden, repeatedly picked up the Jets' blitzes. Running back Willis McGahee, the Jets killer, rushed for 97 yards on 26 carries, and caught his first career touchdown pass.

The Jets (0-2) meet the Dolphins (0-2) in what shapes up as a must-win game next Sunday at Giants Stadium.

"I'm not panicking," right guard Brandon Moore said. "Teams have started 0-2 before and finished well. We know we're not an 0-2 team."

Said safety Kerry Rhodes: "It's a tough loss. But the morale of this team is great. We know that one got away today. ... We're going to be fine."

Trailing 20-3 with 14:57 left in the fourth quarter, the Jets appeared to be a thoroughly beaten team. But a 21-yard field goal by Mike Nugent and a 3-yard touchdown pass to tight end Chris Baker closed the Jets within 20-13 with 3:12 left to play. The Jets regained possession at their 20-yard line with 2:38 remaining.

Clemens began the ill-fated march with a 50-yard completion to Cotchery that gave the Jets the ball at the 30-yard line. Two plays later, Clemens hit McCareins in the hands on a beautiful slant pattern at the 7-yard line on what would have been a sure touchdown. But McCareins, Clemens' favorite target during the preseason, couldn't hold on.

"We made an adjustment on that route," a downcast McCareins said. "I got open and I just couldn't get both hands on it. I know I can make that play. I let the guys down. We had a chance to really make it a game. I didn't get it done."

Two plays later from the 31, Clemens underthrew an open Coles (six catches, 57 yards) near the goal line. After a terrific 24-yard catch down the sideline by Coles gave the Jets a first-and-goal from the 7-yard line, Clemens had one last shot.

On second-and-goal, Clemens fired a bullet to McCareins in traffic in the middle of the end zone. The ball bounced off McCareins' hands, and Lewis made a diving interception in the end zone.

"That ball was on me," McCareins said. "I got one hand on it and just didn't get the other hand up in time. I didn't get it done with it counted."

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at dhutchinson@starledger.com

Archived