New Jersey sports arenas are attendance-challenged

Lil Bit Special

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/

The official attendance of 15,233 for Wednesday night's Knicks-Nets game - there were fewer people than that actually in the seats - was a shocker that speaks to both the declining fortunes of the Knicks and the challenges that face the Nets in the Jersey swamps.

They're not the only ones. The Devils are averaging under 15,000 fans for their games at the new Prudential Center, where an official crowd of only 4,327 - many disguised as empty seats - showed up for the final of a college basketball tournament featuring Tennessee and Texas Nov. 24.

That same night at Madison Square Garden, 18,200 showed up for a hockey game between Cornell and Boston University, and scalpers were commanding some nice premiums outside the arena.

I got Devils season tix, go to about 25 games a year. Have had them for about 12 years. This will be my last year with them.

The new arena is great. Beautiful place to go to, thankfuly for me, I don't have the tight fitting seats upstairs. The area outside the arena is atrocious. Why the heck would you put a hockey arena there??? Taking the train down there is a piece of cake, coming home is a nightmare. If I don't catch the 9:30 train, which is impossible unless I leave with 15 mins left, I have to wait in Secaucus until 10:50! Don't even think about driving there either!

The Nets and Devils don't draw, anywhere, period. There just aren't that many fans of either team, let alone enough fans that are willing to pay astronomical ticket prices for a regular season game.

Both will be gone from NJ within 5 years, you'll see.

P.S.-last night they announced the Devils crowd at 14,000 I think. There were no more than 8,000 people there tops.

I got Devils season tix, go to about 25 games a year. Have had them for about 12 years. This will be my last year with them.

The new arena is great. Beautiful place to go to, thankfuly for me, I don't have the tight fitting seats upstairs. The area outside the arena is atrocious. Why the heck would you put a hockey arena there??? Taking the train down there is a piece of cake, coming home is a nightmare. If I don't catch the 9:30 train, which is impossible unless I leave with 15 mins left, I have to wait in Secaucus until 10:50! Don't even think about driving there either!

The Nets and Devils don't draw, anywhere, period. There just aren't that many fans of either team, let alone enough fans that are willing to pay astronomical ticket prices for a regular season game.

Both will be gone from NJ within 5 years, you'll see.

P.S.-last night they announced the Devils crowd at 14,000 I think. There were no more than 8,000 people there tops.

why wouldnt they have a train that is more convenient for fans to get home? I would think they would have shuttles to get people out of that area quickly. They cant have a special train for post game that they hold at the station??? seems silly to me.

at least they draw better than the Devils AHL affiliate up here in Lowell Mass.. went last night for dollar dog night and there couldnt have been more than 900 people there.

and they lost (im an isles fan, but enjoy all sports...)

the team had the chance to get out of their lease here last year and they stayed!!!

whole organization sucks I guess...

Archived