Jets NEWS 5/ 16

Kentucky Jet

JETS' QB RACE STILL A TOSS UP

By MARK CANNIZZARO

May 16, 2008 -- At the start of what will be a marathon competition for the JetsNew York Jets ' starting quarterback job, there was a coin toss.

Hopefully, that's not the way the competition between Chad PenningtonChad Pennington , the veteran incumbent starter, and Kellen ClemensKellen Clemens , the supposed future, will end.

But, illustrating the breadth of this competition for the most important position on the team, Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer conducted the coin toss to see which player would take the opening snaps with the first team in the first organized team activity (OTA) practice.

Pennington called "heads" and the coin came up heads, meaning he led off.

Yesterday was the Jets' third OTA session, meaning Pennington was again under center with the first team.

It's a place he hopes he'll be by the first of September.

There is, however, much speculation that the playing field in this competition isn't level, that Jets management wants Clemens to win the job because he's younger than Pennington, has a stronger arm and makes a lot less money.

Coach Eric Mangini will not concede to that, but you got a read-between-the-lines feeling from Pennington's tone of voice and body language that he understands the situation very clearly, knows he has to win this competition by knockout, not on points alone.

"It's up to (Mangini); you have to ask him how he looks at it," Pennington said. "The way I look at it is I have to come out here every day, continue to improve and really focus on the things that are going to take me to get to the next level and help this team win."

Pennington, entering his ninth season, has led the Jets to the playoffs three times, which is three times more than the younger Clemens.

Asked if he felt he would get a fair chance at regaining his starting role, Pennington said, "Coach (Mangini) is interested in one thing and that's winning. Period. After you come off a 4-12 season that's all you can think about. So that's what's going to dictate his decision."

Pennington is well aware that, should Clemens win the job, his status could be tenuous - much the way his friend and fellow Marshall grad Bryon Leftwich was when David Garrard beat him out for the QB job in Jacksonville.

Leftwich was released before last season.

Because Clemens is unproven, if Pennington were to lose out for the starting job it's unlikely he'd be released, but the Jets would almost certainly demand he take a pay cut from the $6 million he's scheduled to earn in 2008.

Asked if he's prepared to be a backup if Clemens wins the competition, Pennington said, "That's just not in my thought process. Any time you think about that you're already there."

After the 2007 season, Pennington sounded like he couldn't get out of here fast enough, acknowledging that Clemens was the team's future. But the Jets, who did have discussions in the offseason about trading Pennington, thought better of not having a safety net in case Clemens isn't who they hope he'll be.

Clemens yesterday spoke about how "fortunate" he feels to be competing with someone with the class Pennington possesses.

"It makes what could potentially be a very hostile environment and hostile relationship awesome," Clemens said.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Pennington, Clemens confident they can do job

BY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

May 16, 2008

Article tools

E-mail Share

Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo Print Reprints Post comment Text size: The anticipated quarterback derby between Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens got under way with a coin flip.

On Monday, before the first practice session of this week's offseason team activities (OTA), offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer pulled out the currency.

"Chad got to call it, he won, so he started the first drill," coach Eric Mangini said yesterday. "Whatever the progression is today is the progression. There's no other agenda to whoever takes the first snap, I promise you."

The progression: Pennington, 31, went with the first team Monday and Clemens, 24, worked with the first team Tuesday. Pennington was back with the first team yesterday and Clemens will finish the week tomorrow with the "ones," as the Jets are trying to give every indication this preseason fight isn't fixed.

Both quarterbacks weighed in - the first of 100 or so times in the coming months that they will be asked to talk about it - with each taking a passive-aggressive approach to their cases.

"I believe in myself. I believe that when I play quarterback, our team has an excellent chance to win," said Pennington, who has led the Jets to three playoff appearances and is 32-29 in his career. "That's not me making it up, that's a proven. That's on the record."

Both quarterbacks are complimentary toward each other, but neither leaves a doubt about who they think will come out ahead. "I don't think there is any lack of confidence on either side," Clemens said. "Chad has obviously been there, done that, and he's a good quarterback. I also have the confidence in myself that I can do it."

Notes&quotes: The only players missing from the voluntary camp were S Abram Elam, still in Florida tending to family matters after the shooting death of his brother last week, and TE Chris Baker, who is unhappy with his contract. Mangini said he has been in constant communication with Baker, and although his tone suggested the situation has not become rancorous, he made it clear that he expects Baker to be at Hofstra in June. "We haven't talked about that, but everybody who is on the team is required to come to the mandatory minicamp, and that's my expectation for Chris," Mangini said ... Mangini said NT Kris Jenkins, who struggled with weight issues last season in Carolina and nearly reached 400 pounds, was at 360 for camp.

BAKER'S MISSING IN ACTION

By MARK CANNIZZARO

May 16, 2008 -- Two players were missing from the JetsNew York Jets practices yesterday - tight end Chris BakerChris Baker , who's boycotting the voluntary sessions while in a contract dispute, and safety Abram Elam, who's in Florida tending to his family since his brother was shot and killed last week.

Coach Eric Mangini yesterday revealed that he's been in contact with Baker.

"I've talked to Chris, and one of the things that's been important to Chris and I is that he stay current on the information," Mangini said. "What we've been focusing on is getting him the new information, making sure that he's up to date and giving him all the resources that he needs to be successful when he is here."

When asked if Baker will be at the June 5-7 mandatory full-team minicamp, Mangini said, "We haven't talked about that, but everybody who is on the team is required to come to the mandatory minicamp, and that's my expectation of Chris."

While neither Baker nor his representative, Jonathan Feinsod, will comment on what Baker's plans are for the minicamp, someone close to Baker has told The Post that he will not only be at the minicamp but training camp as well.

Jets quarterbacks coach Brian Daboll, a former Patriots assistant coach, told the NFL he doesn't remember speaking with Matt Walsh about the St. Louis Rams' walkthrough Walsh attended the day before the 2002 Super Bowl.

Even if Daboll, who was interviewed by the NFL Wednesday, and New England's former video assistant did speak about it, "it would not be a violation of NFL rules," the league said yesterday.

Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens start battle for Jets' QB job

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, May 15th 2008, 8:13 PM

Officially, the Jets' quarterback competition between Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens began Monday, when offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer flipped a coin before the first offseason practice.

Pennington called heads - and heads it was, meaning he got to be the "starter" on Day 1. The two QBs will alternate through 15 practices, culminating next month with a minicamp. That they resorted to a coin toss says everything about the quarterback situation - dead even.

Cynics might call it a dead end, considering the way both quarterbacks played last season, but it won't lack intrigue. Commenting yesterday for the first time since the end of the season, Pennington sounded ultraconfident about his chances of regaining his old job.

"I believe in myself and I believe that, when I play quarterback, our team has an excellent chance to win," he said after practice. "That's not making stuff up. It's proven, it's on the record."

Pennington was in his usual good-soldier mode, trying to put a positive spin on a situation he had hoped to avoid. Confirming a Daily News story from March, he admitted there were "discussions at the (scouting) combine" in February about the possibility of a trade. His agent raised the issue and was flatly rejected by Jets management.

"After everything was said and done, this is the best place for me," said Pennington, whose starting record dropped to 32-29 after last season's 1-7 mark.

Clemens (3-5) also struggled, failing to capitalize on the chance of a lifetime, prompting Eric Mangini to declare an open competition. Mangini said the decision "will come down to who manages the game the best and who gives us the best chance to win."

If you're handicapping at home, consider these two "hidden" factors: Pennington's health and new wrinkles in the offense.

Even though it was quickly forgotten by the fans and media, Pennington's high-ankle sprain early last season hampered his throwing mechanics and hurt his velocity, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. He missed only one game, but it was considered a four- to six-week injury.

Pennington never used it as an excuse, but it could help explain some of the floaters that were intercepted. Now he's healthy, emphasizing he intensified his offseason training to become "a more physical quarterback."

As for the offense, Mangini made several references to changes in philosophy. Naturally, he wasn't about the divulge specifics, but if it means more downfield passing, it would give an edge to Clemens. He has a stronger arm than Pennington, who admitted he has to be more consistent on his deep throws.

HAPPY, FOR NOW: WR Laveranues Coles said he's happy with his revised contract - after a mini-boycott in March, the team guaranteed the final two years ($11 million) - but hinted it could become an issue after the season. Asked if he'd like to revisit the matter, Coles said, "Now that I'm here, it's not something I want to go into. But when the time comes, I'm more than willing to get back into it." ... Mangini said the coaches have been sending playbook additions to TE Chris Baker, who is skipping the voluntary camp because he's unhappy with his contract. Former Packers TE Bubba Franks made several nice catches in practice.

Pennington or Clemens as Jets QB? Flip a coin

Friday, May 16, 2008

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- After poring over hours of game tape and sitting through endless meetings, how did the Jets decide who would open their voluntary offseason practices at starting quarterback?

A coin toss by offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

In the much-anticipated battle between veteran Chad Pennington and third-year QB Kellen Clemens, Pennington called heads and won. Yesterday, it was his turn to work with the first team in the third of 15 practices allowed by league rules.

Neither Pennington nor Clemens had a great day, but the competition should be closer than the first-round knockout Pennington scored in training camp two years ago, when he held off Clemens, Patrick Ramsey and Brooks Bollinger in a four-way quarterback derby.

The conventional thinking is that the organization wants the younger and stronger-armed Clemens to win the job and that the playing field will be tilted in his favor. Coach Eric Mangini, however, insists the best player will play.

"Whether (the playing field is tilted) or not, it's out of my control," Pennington said following the 1 1/2-hour workout. "I have just put that out of my mind. I have no idea what is the thought behind closed doors. If I think about things like that, it's counterproductive to me."

Though Pennington has repeatedly taken the high road when discussing his struggles, he bristled a bit yesterday when asked if he feels he's the player who to lead the Jets this season.

"I believe in myself," he said. "I believe when I play quarterback my team has an excellent chance to win. That's not me making it up, it's proven. That's on the record."

Pennington, entering his ninth NFL season, is 32-29 as a starter, including a disastrous 1-7 mark last year, and has led the Jets to three playoff berths.

At the NFL Combine in February, the Jets met with Pennington's agent, Tom Condon, and told him they wanted Pennington back even though Pennington had hinted strongly he wanted out after being benched in favor of Clemens.

"As a player, you always want to know where you stand," said Pennington, who turns 32 next month. "As long as you get a truthful answer, you can deal with it, whether you agree or disagree. ... When everything was said and done, this is the place for me to be. I feel good about my situation."

Clemens, a second-round pick in 2006, had his moments but was a disappointment last season. He posted a 3-5 record as a starter. Overall, he completed 52 percent of his passes with five touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

"Fortunately, I was able to evaluate myself going against live bullets and see the areas where I needed some improvement," said Clemens, listing footwork and accuracy among the things he needs to improve on.

If Clemens beats out Pennington, the Jets will likely keep Pennington around for insurance.

NT Kris Jenkins, who ballooned to nearly 400 pounds last season in Carolina, is a fit 360 pounds. He has a $750,000 workout and weight clause per season in his contract.

"He makes 360 pounds look good," Mangini said. "He's a fluid athlete, especially for someone that size."

Said Jenkins: "As far as on the field and off the field, I'm going to do whatever it takes to make myself the best player I can be."

Disgruntled TE Chris Baker was a no-show and in his absence, newly-acquired veteran Bubba Franks stole the show, catching everything in sight (eight to 10 passes total), including at least three acrobatic touchdown catches in the red zone.

Mangini, though, said he has spoken to Baker and keeps him abreast of any changes in the playbook. Baker remains the Jets' best all-around tight end. WR Laveranues Coles is pleased to have the final two years of his contract guaranteed at $11 million but hinted he still wants a long-term deal.

"Now that I'm here, it's not something I really want to go in to, but when the time comes, I'm more than willing to get back into it,'' he said. ...

CB David Barrett started opposite Darrell Revis, who also worked on fielding punts. ... S Abram Elam, whose brother was shot dead last week, didn't attend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N.F.L. Investigators Seek Names From Steroid Dealer

By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT

Published: May 16, 2008

A steroid dealer in Texas said Thursday that N.F.L. investigators questioned him in an effort to learn the identities of players he had said he provided with performance-enhancing drugs.

The dealer, David Jacobs, was sentenced to probation May 1 for felony steroid distribution charges. Jacobs had said he provided two N.F.L. players with steroids and human growth hormone, and that they then supplied other N.F.L. players with the banned substances.

:soapbox:

i can honestly say i am tired to the word controversy.

One of the most overused and misused words, to drive sales and hype. Sometimes the new york writers are such a pain in the ass the way they try to manufacture a story out of nothing.

this is such crap, i don't think the jets have two bad QBs, i know the jets have two very good QBs. this will be apparent very quickly in the season. Bank on it.

Archived