News: Alou to Have MRI

Lil Bit Special

http://nationalpost.pa-sportsticker.com/default.aspx?s=mlb-news-display&nid=A27443101213298043A

Just two days after being activated from the disabled list, New York Mets outfielder Moises Alou has suffered yet another setback.

Alou, who felt tightness in his left calf during Tuesday's game against the Arizona Diamondbacks, did not sound optimistic about his prospects of remaining in the lineup

"I think that the DL is a possibility," Alou told the Mets' web site on Thursday. "Again."

The oldest player in the major leagues, the 41-year-old Alou has been available to the Mets for only 15 games this season and just 45 percent of the team's contests since signing with New York following the 2006 season.

"I just feel sore," Alou said. "I think the DL is a possibility because I'm feeling like I'm very sore to walk."

Alou experienced the tightness on Tuesday, just hours after he was activated, and did not return to the game following a 61-minute delay. He felt worse on Wednesday and reported no improvement on Thursday.

"If he's still sore a couple days later, it can't be good," New York manager Willie Randolph said.

Losing Alou again would cause even more upheaval for the underachieving Mets (31-33), who were forced to place outfielder Ryan Church on the DL on Tuesday after mishandling the concussion he suffered in Atlanta on May 20. Alou has had two previous stints on the DL this season.

Archived