Crew at St. Louis

drago

Looks like Hart has the day off for Kapler and our worst starting pitcher on the hill. If they can walk out of there with a win setting up Sheets and/or CC for the last two games, there would be a possible sweep.

This would be a great time to get hot with the Cubbies in town a week from now.

Good luck Suppan!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.bbnotes22jul22,0,5720289.story

Out of the major leagues since being released by the Orioles in March, Jay Gibbons is expected to sign a minor league deal this week with the Milwaukee Brewers.

An announcement could come as early as today, according to baseball sources. Gibbons, who probably will start in either Double- or Triple-A, was unavailable for comment last night.

Gibbons, a 31-year-old outfielder who hit 121 homers for the Orioles over seven injury-riddled seasons, has been playing with the independent Atlantic League's Long Island Ducks. In 27 games for the Ducks, Gibbons hit .280 with five home runs.

Gibbons, who admitted to using human growth hormone to help him recover from injuries and whose name appeared in the Mitchell Report, was not contacted by an affiliated team in the 10 weeks after his release from the Orioles.

He wrote letters to the other 29 big league organizations, apologizing for his mistakes and saying he would play for free in the minors - the Orioles are paying him a total of $11.9 million for the 2008 and 2009 seasons. He still had no takers.

Last month, he told The Sun he still had not abandoned hope of getting back to the majors.

"If I go out there and hit .100 for the rest of the season, and play winter ball and hit .100, I am not going to hang on. Trust me," Gibbons said. "But if I play well, I would hope somebody would take notice, in this country or another - just because it is so much fun."

Archived