PS Squad member? C Kyle DeVan told to stay in NY until at least noon today 8/31

jetsrule128

http://www.thereporter.com/sports/ci_10350580

Locals stars tackling pro careers

Five players are named to 53-man rosters, two placed on IR and another still awaits his fate

By Tim Roe

Article Launched: 08/31/2008 08:15:43 AM PDT

No news was the best kind of news for several former local football stars on Saturday as NFL teams made their final cuts before the start of the regular season.

Kyle DeVan got the bad news, but still may find today that he has a job.

"I was cut, but they told me to stay in New York until noon (today)," said DeVan, a free agent who was one of the last cuts made by the New York Jets.

Teams have until today to choose eight-player taxi squads. Those players continue to practice with the teams, and are available in case of injuries to roster players.

"I thought I had a pretty solid preseason," added DeVan, a rookie center who starred at Vacaville High School and Oregon State. "They said they were impressed with me, but the way it is in the NFL, is it's a numbers game. They had to get down to 53 players."

Survivors Saturday included Thomas Williams, who made the Jacksonville Jaguars roster. The rookie linebacker played with DeVan at Vacaville and then USC, and was the Jaguars' fifth-round draft pick last April.

Williams had a solid preseason, including three solo tackles and one assist in Friday's finale, a 24-3 win over Washington.

Other former local players still on NFL rosters include Will C. Wood graduate Jarrett Bush (Packers), Dixon's Dave Ball (Titans) and Fairfield's Desmond Bishop (Packers) and Quinton Ganther (Titans).

Former Solano College players Mike Gibson (Eagles) and Pat McCoy (Falcons) are on the injured reserve list.

Ball was delighted

Advertisement

to make his third opening-day roster. The defensive end was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in 2004, and played for the Chargers and Jets. He played for the Carolina Panthers during the 2007 preseason, but was among the team's final cuts.

He preferred silence on cutdown day.

"The NFL is weird ... if you don't find out, that means you made the team," he said. "If they tell you something, they say you got cut. Nobody ever really hears that they made the team."

Ball may have secured his spot on the Titans with a solid preseason finale, including two solo tackles and a sack, in the Titans' 23-21 win over the Packers.

Bishop also improved his stock in that game. After missing the first two preseason games with an Achilles injury, he recorded seven tackles against the Titans.

Archived