Go on record: Post Your Perfect Hindsight Draft

Ok, the actual draft is done, and you now have perfect information about which players will be available for every potential draft slot. So, armchair GMs, it's time to go on record. What would you have done in this year's draft of it were up to you? 

The rules are simple: select whatever players you want from those available at the Jets draft picks. You can reject trades we made (don't want to move up for corley? Keep and make both picks we moved) and you can make any trade up that was available (for any accepted trade between other teams, make a better offer) or accept any trade down that was available (want to deal pick 11 for the package Jacksonville for for 17? go ahead). But you can't force a trade up or trade down with a team that kept those picks in the real draft (no "i would have offered xyz to move up to 7 and grab Odunze"). 

Think we should've taken bowers at 11?go on record with what the full draft class would have looked like. Let's see it. 

Will post mine in a bit, I'm still catching up from shabbos

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Mine: 

1/11 - Fashanu. The right pick given the board as it fell

3/65 - Corley. Price was right to move up and I can't argue with the player

4/111 - Jaylen Wright - I probably don't deal this pick for 190 and just grab Wright here

4/129 Jaden Hicks - I likely stick here and take the safety over the trade back

4/134 Allen. Fine, even with wright in hand, I'll take the bruiser

6/185 Joe Milton. Without 173 & 176 I miss out on Stiggers and Travis, so I grab Milton as my developmental QB

7/257 Jalen Key... Why not. 

Not sure I like that draft class better than the real thing

so you wouldnt trade that 4th for next years 3rd? you like that pick you made more than that deal? i think that 3rd next year would be a better quality of player or a good trade piece if we want to move up in rd 1. plus we had no 3rd because of Reddick. well maybe a 3rd or a 2nd.

considering that i would keep that deal no matter what.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, doitny said:

plus we had no 3rd because of Reddick. well maybe a 3rd or a 2nd.

The Reddick 3rd is slated for 2026. Nice to have that 3rd in ‘25 though.

We have a stacked roster when it comes to starters. If any go down in Secondary, Linebacker or WR we are looking thin & somewhat vulnerable 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

—Fashanu: Atlanta sticking their foot into the ground to take Penix threw about five different franchises into crisis mode, and I think Douglas was smart in keeping his powder dry and taking Fashanu at 11. McCarthy also being overhyped pre-draft is kind of funny in retrospect. Would have been cool to come up for Odunze, but it seems true that no one was letting their picks go ahead of us. Good on Douglas for doing the sober thing in drafting the best pure left tackle after Alt, even though Fuaga was right there and probably made more sense in the near term.

I do find it hysterical that the pre-draft conversation was “Ugh how dare people try to knock Bowers for being a tight end! He’s a power slot weapon SEC dominant mismatch Jets would be fools to pass on him etc” and all the post-draft commentary is “good job by the Jets resisting the urge to draft a tight end.”

—72. Corley: I think Corley is probably a fine pick in the third. They’re getting knocked for it because Corley is super raw, but he seems like a mature dude who will put the work in, and we can presume Hackett will use him in the slot in the same way he would have hypothetically used Bowers. Sometimes these unrefined, beefy catch-and-run guys work out—Rashee Rice, AJ Brown, Deebo, etc—and sometimes they can’t handle the physical aspects of the game and wash out right away—Treylon Burks, Johnathan Mingo, Tyler Johnson. I think Corley is tough enough and provides a nice complement to Garrett Wilson and Mike Williams, and even to Ruckert and Conklin. Should be good. Alternatively, they could have used this pick on Roman Wilson, but eh. I would have been tempted to draft Christian Haynes to lock down the future of the OL, but it’s a guard and there were going to be developmental OL later in the draft. 

—111. Tanor Bartolini or Mason McCormick: Speaking of those developmental OL, this is where I think Douglas ****ed up. He starts jerking off in public with a pack of senseless trade downs that ultimately reap a 2026 third, which he probably has a 30% chance of being around for. He bails out of 111, which could have been Tez Walker, or Bartolini—who could have backed up at center for a year, or pushed Tippman out to guard, where he’s actually better. If they wanted to go the developmental IOL route, Mason McCormick—RAS god—was taken by the Steelers a few picks later. If the Jets don’t add anyone on the interior of the OL, they’re one sprained ankle away from Xavier Newman and Wes Schweitzer getting Aaron Rodgers broken to bits and ending the season. 

—129.  TJ Tampa: He was getting some first round buzz pre-draft as a size/speed CB prospect and was almost universally considered a top 50 prospect. The Jets have no CB depth, with DJ Reed and MC2 coming up on expensive extensions at the same time Sauce Gardner has to get paid. Would have been nice to have a little insurance at the position both long- and short-term. 

134. Nehemiah Pritchett or Sedrick Van Pran: with Pritchett, it’s the same discussion as TJ Tampa—long guy, good ball production, provides some depth and insurance. Van Pran, for the same reasons as above for Bartolini. 

I get the philosophical appeal of Braelon Allen, but Allen is a limited back whom you could get off the street at any time before or during the season. He provides nothing as a receiver, and he’s a plugger/short yardage back on offense. Look at it this way—if Breece goes down, the Jets—despite burning three picks on backs the last two seasons—are probably going to have to sign a free agent as a fill-in for him. Abinakanda was bad last year and probably doesn’t make this year’s roster, Allen is three yards and a cloud of turf, and Davis is a 4.6 guy who carried the ball a million times at a smaller program. My question with both of these guys is why not just take Audric Estime, who fits the same profile but whom the draft nerds like a lot more? Just some bizarre thinking here regarding the backs. 

189. Michael Pratt: I didn’t like any of the QBs in this draft enough to use a pick on them, but at this late in the draft I would have taken a flier on Pratt, who has the requisite size, profile, and character to be a developmental guy behind Rodgers and Tyrod. Jordan Travis will never take a meaningful regular season snap in the NFL. Small guy with injury issues and a peashooter arm. I know people had a hard-on for him because FSU was good, but Mike Norvell was achieving the same stuff on offense at Memphis with Brady White, who likewise never took a meaningful snap in the NFL. Just an absolute brain dead pick by a GM who will go down as the worst drafter of QB talent in the history of the Jets franchise, and that’s saying something. For those writing it off as a late-round developmental guy, that makes it worse because there’s nothing there to develop—he’s too small, he’s been on college for six years, has a throwing arm that makes Pennington look like Josh Allen, he’s already 24 years old. Absolute clown show. 

Allen is getting a lot of love in the draft community and the jets are being praised for the pick fwiw.  Same with travis.  2nd rb is a bit puzzling though.  Real problem with this draft was no 2nd rounder so we were too invested in those 4th rounders whereas the jets saw the talent as much flatter than that.  If the jets had 2 picks on day 2 and took Corley and a guard or a cb the draft would look a lot better.  

• Upvote 3

I expected a mid-round guard, but if they sign Connor McGovern to a one year deal to backup G/C, they’re pretty well set. Probably better set for this season. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, doitny said:

so you wouldnt trade that 4th for next years 3rd? you like that pick you made more than that deal? i think that 3rd next year would be a better quality of player or a good trade piece if we want to move up in rd 1. plus we had no 3rd because of Reddick. well maybe a 3rd or a 2nd.

considering that i would keep that deal no matter what.

Oh no, I deal 126 for a 3 next year every time. But that requires trading 111, and I probably wouldn't have taken the drop to 126, so that deal is never on the table for me

• Upvote 1

Taking in consideration the direction they were apparently going for, these is what I would have done.

At 111, you still had Jaden Hicks, Cam Hart, or TJ Tampa. Any of those prospects is better than the backups we currently have at those positions.

At 173 and 176 you had options at Sataoa Laumea, Malik Washington, Johnny Wilson, Christian Mahogany, Trey Taylor. Also better than the backup options we had.

At 257 I would have liked DT Gabe Hall big athletic dude to obstruct lanes.

Of course I'm ok with the trade if the 4th rounder for a 3rd rounder next year.

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

—Fashanu: Atlanta sticking their foot into the ground to take Penix threw about five different franchises into crisis mode, and I think Douglas was smart in keeping his powder dry and taking Fashanu at 11. McCarthy also being overhyped pre-draft is kind of funny in retrospect. Would have been cool to come up for Odunze, but it seems true that no one was letting their picks go ahead of us. Good on Douglas for doing the sober thing in drafting the best pure left tackle after Alt, even though Fuaga was right there and probably made more sense in the near term.

I do find it hysterical that the pre-draft conversation was “Ugh how dare people try to knock Bowers for being a tight end! He’s a power slot weapon SEC dominant mismatch Jets would be fools to pass on him etc” and all the post-draft commentary is “good job by the Jets resisting the urge to draft a tight end.”

—72. Corley: I think Corley is probably a fine pick in the third. They’re getting knocked for it because Corley is super raw, but he seems like a mature dude who will put the work in, and we can presume Hackett will use him in the slot in the same way he would have hypothetically used Bowers. Sometimes these unrefined, beefy catch-and-run guys work out—Rashee Rice, AJ Brown, Deebo, etc—and sometimes they can’t handle the physical aspects of the game and wash out right away—Treylon Burks, Johnathan Mingo, Tyler Johnson. I think Corley is tough enough and provides a nice complement to Garrett Wilson and Mike Williams, and even to Ruckert and Conklin. Should be good. Alternatively, they could have used this pick on Roman Wilson, but eh. I would have been tempted to draft Christian Haynes to lock down the future of the OL, but it’s a guard and there were going to be developmental OL later in the draft. 

—111. Tanor Bartolini or Mason McCormick: Speaking of those developmental OL, this is where I think Douglas ****ed up. He starts jerking off in public with a pack of senseless trade downs that ultimately reap a 2026 third, which he probably has a 30% chance of being around for. He bails out of 111, which could have been Tez Walker, or Bartolini—who could have backed up at center for a year, or pushed Tippman out to guard, where he’s actually better. If they wanted to go the developmental IOL route, Mason McCormick—RAS god—was taken by the Steelers a few picks later. If the Jets don’t add anyone on the interior of the OL, they’re one sprained ankle away from Xavier Newman and Wes Schweitzer getting Aaron Rodgers broken to bits and ending the season. 

—129.  TJ Tampa: He was getting some first round buzz pre-draft as a size/speed CB prospect and was almost universally considered a top 50 prospect. The Jets have no CB depth, with DJ Reed and MC2 coming up on expensive extensions at the same time Sauce Gardner has to get paid. Would have been nice to have a little insurance at the position both long- and short-term. 

134. Nehemiah Pritchett or Sedrick Van Pran: with Pritchett, it’s the same discussion as TJ Tampa—long guy, good ball production, provides some depth and insurance. Van Pran, for the same reasons as above for Bartolini. 

I get the philosophical appeal of Braelon Allen, but Allen is a limited back whom you could get off the street at any time before or during the season. He provides nothing as a receiver, and he’s a plugger/short yardage back on offense. Look at it this way—if Breece goes down, the Jets—despite burning three picks on backs the last two seasons—are probably going to have to sign a free agent as a fill-in for him. Abinakanda was bad last year and probably doesn’t make this year’s roster, Allen is three yards and a cloud of turf, and Davis is a 4.6 guy who carried the ball a million times at a smaller program. My question with both of these guys is why not just take Audric Estime, who fits the same profile but whom the draft nerds like a lot more? Just some bizarre thinking here regarding the backs. 

189. Michael Pratt: I didn’t like any of the QBs in this draft enough to use a pick on them, but this late in the draft I would have taken a flier on Pratt, who has the requisite size, profile, and character to be a developmental guy behind Rodgers and Tyrod. Jordan Travis will never take a meaningful regular season snap in the NFL. Small guy with injury issues and a peashooter arm. I know people had a hard-on for him because FSU was good, but Mike Norvell was achieving the same stuff on offense at Memphis with Brady White, who likewise never took a meaningful snap in the NFL. Just an absolute brain dead pick by a GM who will go down as the worst drafter of QB talent in the history of the Jets franchise, and that’s saying something. For those writing it off as a late-round developmental guy, that makes it worse because there’s nothing there to develop—he’s too small, he’s been in college for six years, and has a throwing arm that makes Pennington look like Josh Allen, He’s already 24 years old. Absolute clown show. 

This is a much better draft than JD pulled off.  Jaden Hicks could have been good too

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Ok, the actual draft is done, and you now have perfect information about which players will be available for every potential draft slot. So, armchair GMs, it's time to go on record. What would you have done in this year's draft of it were up to you? 

The rules are simple: select whatever players you want from those available at the Jets draft picks. You can reject trades we made (don't want to move up for corley? Keep and make both picks we moved) and you can make any trade up that was available (for any accepted trade between other teams, make a better offer) or accept any trade down that was available (want to deal pick 11 for the package Jacksonville for for 17? go ahead). But you can't force a trade up or trade down with a team that kept those picks in the real draft (no "i would have offered xyz to move up to 7 and grab Odunze"). 

Think we should've taken bowers at 11?go on record with what the full draft class would have looked like. Let's see it. 

Will post mine in a bit, I'm still catching up from shabbos

Give me three years.

I'll make the perfect one then. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, slats said:

I expected a mid-round guard, but if they sign Connor McGovern to a one year deal to backup G/C, they’re pretty well set. Probably better set for this season. 

I think they actually like their interior backups - schweitzer, Newman, Glaser - and also expect one of either Warren or Mitchell to show in camp that they can be a backup guard as well as tackle

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Allen is getting a lot of love in the draft community and the jets are being praised for the pick fwiw.  Same with travis.  2nd rb is a bit puzzling though.  Real problem with this draft was no 2nd rounder so we were too invested in those 4th rounders whereas the jets saw the talent as much flatter than that.  If the jets had 2 picks on day 2 and took Corley and a guard or a cb the draft would look a lot better.  

interesting nugget 

Saleh post draft interview on SNY seemed to suggest that the double dip at RB had to do with the kickoff changes and that they’ll need guys like the 2 big RB’s to cover.

7 minutes ago, David Harris said:

interesting nugget 

Saleh post draft interview on SNY seemed to suggest that the double dip at RB had to do with the kickoff changes and that they’ll need guys like the 2 big RB’s to cover.

yeah the special teams angle is the only way it makes a lick of sense. Even so, you can't get a slow running back as udfa? 

1 minute ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

It doesn’t matter because none of you have any clue of how any of these players will turn out in the NFL, despite what you think.  I’m satisfied with the first 2 picks which matter most.

that's obviously true, but most of the whining has to do with the process. Which is completely fair to critique because the Jets have sucked for about a million straight years

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jaden Hicks (S), Sedrick Van Pran-Granger (C/G), Cade Stover (TE), Jeremiah Trotter Jr (LB) and Michael Pratt (QB) and would be Jets today in my "alternate universe" draft.  All were available when we picked who we did pick.

I would not have picked anyone JD picked after Corely.

Fashanu and Corely are solid enough picks.  

I love your picks of Jaden Hicks and Sedrick Van Pran-Granger.  I will say until I am blue in my face that we were not going to draft a TE in this draft, and I am very glad we didn't.  I love getting Jeremiah Trotter as well.  The Jets had the opportunity draft Pratt, and decided to go with Travis instead, and I am happy with Travis, and will defer to JD and company's judgement on that.

I do love getting the 3rd round pick next year from Detroit, and love the first running back we got as well, to offset getting Hicks. 

To me, Sedrick Van Pran-Granger would have made me very happy.

I’ll just keep it as the picks that we chose and not dig too deep into what original picks we had and all that.

11. Brock Bowers TE

65. Malachi Corley WR

134. Braelon Allen RB

171. Sataoa Luamea OG

173. Marcellus Dial CB

176. Michael Pratt QB

257. Leonard Taylor DT

As for following JD,

I'd have gone Bowers.

I'd have taken Sed Van Pran over Allen.

I'd have probably taken Jaylen Ford and Carson in the 5th in some combo and been fine w/ Davis in there too.

Taken Austin Reed w/ Mr. Irrelevant. 

This is what I would have done. I was fine with the first trade. After that, I would have just stayed put and selected players.

Round 1:

- Accept trade to 11

- Select Olu Fashanu OT Penn State

Round 3:

- Stay at 72. There were a few WRs I liked. I would have just stayed put

- Select Roman Wilson WR Michigan

Round 4:

- Just stay put and draft players

- 111: Dovantez Walker WR North Carolina

- 129: TJ Tampa CB Iowa State (In real time, I would have drafted him at 111)

- 134: Braelon Allen RB Washington

Round 5-7

-157 Jordan Travis QB Florida State (in real time, I would have drafted him at 134)

- 185 Christian Mahogany iOL Boston College

- 257 Tyler Owens S (In real time, I would have drafted Leonard Taylor III but we got him as a UDFA)

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, varjet said:

This is a much better draft than JD pulled off.  Jaden Hicks could have been good too

I’ve been reading Jets forums for 16 years and the fans almost always do a better job with mocks/selections than the actual GM. Granted we’ve had Idzik and Maccagnan for 40% of that stretch so it’s not saying much, but still. JD at least understands positional value. 

Its hard to do this with all the trades that were made, so I'm going to treat this exercise with the original picks the Jets had going into the draft

Round 1 - I'm a big Olu fan, so I loved that pick and I would have made it at 10 after Rome was gone. 

Round 3 - Its ironic because I think Corley would have been there at 72, but the Jets traded up so I can't pick Corley at 72. Staying at 72, I'm taking Calen Bullock from USC. I understand that the team doesn't value safety, but having a ballhawk at safety would add such a nice element to this defense.

Round 4 - At pick 111, I would have selected Tez Walker. He may not have added a ton his first year, but the value and need are a match. 

At pick 126, I'll roll with Braelon Allen as the Jets eventually wound up doing. 

Pick 157, I'm going with Javon Solomon, an undersized but productive edge rusher out of Troy. The JFM trade added a need for depth at edge. 

Pick 171, I'm fine with Jordan Travis. 

Pick 176, Sataoa Laumea, a guard from Utah that is athletic and adds depth. 

Round 6 and beyond, we are all throwing darts. 

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

This is what I would have done. I was fine with the first trade. After that, I would have just stayed put and selected players.

Round 1:

- Accept trade to 11

- Select Olu Fashanu OT Penn State

Round 3:

- Stay at 72. There were a few WRs I liked. I would have just stayed put

- Select Roman Wilson WR Michigan

Round 4:

- Just stay put and draft players

- 111: Dovantez Walker WR North Carolina

- 129: TJ Tampa CB Iowa State (I real time, I would have drafted him at 111)

- 134: Braelon Allen RB Washington

Round 5-7

-157 Jordan Travis QB Florida State (in real time, I would have drafted him at 134)

- 185 Christian Mahogany iOL Boston College

- 257 Tyler Owens S (In real time, I would have gone Leonard Taylor III but we got him as a UDFA)

Love this. The only trade I was happy with was getting Detroit’s 3rd next year. The other trade backs were goofy with some quality prospects available. I’m disappointed we didn’t double dip at WR, particularly Tez Walker.

• Upvote 1