NY Jets articles 9/30/08

Kentucky Jet

Jets' Smith suspended, fined for hit on BoldinBY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

September 30, 2008

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Calling Jets safety Eric Smith's hit on Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin on Sunday "a flagrant violation of player safety rules," the NFL suspended Smith for one game yesterday.

"The suspension will sideline Smith for the Jets' game against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday, Oct. 12, following the Jets' bye on Oct. 5," the league said in a statement. "The $50,000 fine includes the game check Smith will forfeit for the week of his suspension."

Smith, speaking yesterday before the league's announcement, said he did not intend to lead with his helmet as he tried to break up Kurt Warner's pass for Boldin at the goal line late in the Jets' 56-35 victory. Both players were down for several moments, though Boldin got the worst of it, and his body was secured to a stretcher before being taken off the field.

Boldin returned to Phoenix Sunday night after going through a series of tests in New York. According to The Associated Press, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt yesterday said, "All the test results were positive." He declined to speculate if Boldin will play in Sunday's home game against the Bills.

Speaking several hours before the league released its statement, Whisenhunt hinted that he thought the league would act.

"I think it's one of the hits that falls into the category of being dangerous to players," Whisenhunt told the AP. "Certainly, I'm sure that the league is going to look at this and will address it."

Which the league did, acting swiftly, decisively and, given the memo sent to players by commissioner Roger Goodell on Sept. 17, predictably.

"Player safety on the field is important to all of us in the NFL," Goodell said in the memo. "Football is a tough game and we need to do everything possible to protect all players from unnecessary injury caused by illegal and dangerous hits. From this point forward, you should be clear on the following point: Any conduct that unnecessarily risks the safety of other players has no role in football and will be disciplined at increased levels, including on a first offense."

Smith did not come away from the play unscathed. He said yesterday he lost consciousness on the field; though the Jets didn't categorize it as such, he sounded like someone who had suffered a concussion. Smith said he remembered only up until the play before the hit - which he stressed several times was unintentional - and still was groggy.

Replays showed safety Kerry Rhodes bumped Boldin as Smith converged on the play. In a statement, a Jets spokesman said: "Knowing Eric, we are confident he did not intend to injure Anquan Boldin. Anquan was hit from behind by another player that accelerated the collision with Eric. Our thoughts are with Anquan, and we hope he has a healthy recovery."

Smith said he got word Sunday night from Jets safety Abram Elam, a childhood friend of Boldin who spoke to Boldin's mother, that the receiver was doing all right.

"I felt better about it," Smith said, "but you still feel bad."

Notes & quotes: RB Jesse Chatman, suspended the first four games for violating the NFL policy on steroids and related substances, is back with the team. Chatman yesterday admitted to using a masking agent but declined to specify why, only that it was not to mask any steroid or performance-enhancing substance. "There's a lot of particulars that go with it that I just care not to go into," said Chatman, who has battled weight problems. "The public's going to think what they're going to think, but hopefully, they'll know that I'm not a cheater and I never have been." A roster exemption will let Chatman practice with the team this week, though the Jets will have to release someone by Monday to fit him on the 53-man roster ... The Jets released Ben Graham, who kicked two more line-drive punts Sunday, for the second time in two weeks. That would seem to indicate that Reggie Hodges, who was signed Sept. 16 to replace Graham but almost immediately was sidelined with a thigh injury, is ready to return. The team also announced that OL Will Montgomery, waived Sept. 25 when CB Hank Poteat was signed, had been re-signed to the active roster. WR Paul Raymond was released from the practice squad.

Oct. 12

Bengals

at Jets

1 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WEPN

(1050)

FAVRE, JETS SHOW 'POTENTIAL' OF OFFENSE

By MARK CANNIZZARO

HE'S STILL GOT IT: Brett Favre throws a pass during his six touchdown performance in the Jets' 56-35 victory over the Cardinals on Sunday.Posted: 2:45 am

September 30, 2008

It took Chad Pennington 260 passing attempts last season to throw 10 touchdown passes.

It took Kellen Clemens 250 attempts to throw five of them.

For those of you scoring at home, that's a total of 15 touchdown passes thrown in 510 attempts for JetsNew York Jets quarterbacks in 2007.

Brett Favre has 12 touchdown passes 124 attempts through four games this season.

Any more questions about whether he's still got it at age 38, whether he's learned the Jets' offense yet or whether he's "in sync" with his receivers?

You can pass off Favre's six-touchdown pass performance in the Jets' 56-35 win over the Cardinals Sunday at Giants Stadium because it came against, well, the Cardinals.

But to be fair, the Cardinals entered the game allowing fewer than 16 points per game in their previous three games.

So take it for whatever you choose, but the reality is the Jets' offense broke out in rather dramatic fashion Sunday and it gives them reason to be optimistic as they enter their bye week.

The Jets' next three games after this week's bye come against the dregs of the NFL - the 0-4 Bengals at home, the 1-3 Raiders in Oakland and the 1-3 Chiefs at home. Then, after a trip to Buffalo to play the 4-0 Bills, the Jets get the 0-4 Rams at home.

So, minus the game against the Bills, the combined current record of four of the Jets' next five opponents is a sterling 2-16.

More reason for the 2-2 Jets to feel good about themselves this week - particularly after their offensive explosion Sunday.

Leave it, however, to the veteran Favre, who leads the NFL in TDs and passer rating (110.8) and is second in completion percentage (70.2), to temper enthusiasm - albeit while still projecting positive thoughts.

"I think it shows the potential of what this team has," Favre said. "But it's no reason to start going out and buying playoff and Super Bowl tickets. It's just one game, but it's a great start.

"Again, it shows a lot of potential, but I wouldn't look into it more than that. It was a great game, a great win and hopefully something to build off of."

The Jets hope to build off of this bye week the way they've built off the previous two byes in the Eric Mangini regime. This, however, is a different bye week position for the Jets, who've entered their bye week off of losses the last two years.

In 2006, the Jets came off a lackluster, underachieving home loss to the Browns, used the bye to refocus and beat the Patriots 17-14 in their next game.

Last season, the Jets entered the bye week having lost six consecutive games to fall completely out of playoff contention and they came out and beat the heavily-favored Steelers 19-16 in overtime.

Mangini yesterday preached his players having the same focus during this bye week despite coming off a win.

"To me, it should be viewed exactly the same way, because those have been productive weeks for us, and you get only one shot at this, you get only one chance to improve the team with this time," Mangini said yesterday. "If you look at it any differently, based on a win or loss, you could end up losing that time, regretting it in the future."

Favre said, "I think this week will be a good week for us to simplify what we're doing right and get better at [those things], because there are a lot of things we can get better at - starting with me. The fact that I get to work with these guys one more week I think each week we can become better."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Get

CHATMAN HAPPY TO REJOIN 'GANG'

By MARK CANNIZZARO

JESSE CHATMAN

Returns from suspension.

Posted: 2:45 am

September 30, 2008

The JetsNew York Jets yesterday welcomed back running back Jesse Chatman, who'd been suspended for the first four weeks of the season after testing positive for a banned substance.

The Jets, who have a bye this week, have a roster exemption for Chatman, a utility RB and special teams player, for this week but will need to release a player to make room for him on the roster next week.

Chatman, who was signed as a free agent in the offseason, said "it feels good" to be back with Gang Green.

"The team accepted me with open arms," he said. "I'm ready to put everything behind me."

Chatman was unclear about what he was using and why, though he did admit that it was a "masking agent." He insisted, though, that it was not performance enhancing.

"The public is going to think what they're going to think," he said. "Hopefully they're going to know that I'm not a cheater and I never have been."

That, of course, could be cleared up pretty quickly if Chatman was more specific about what he used and why he used it. He has, however, been supported by coach Eric Mangini since the moment he was suspended, something he's grateful for.

"It felt good, because a lot of teams would go in a different direction," Chatman said. "I'm going to do everything in my power to pay the organization back."

Chatman said he's been working out with a personal trainer and volunteer coaching with the Morristown High football team. He, too, said Jets LB David BowensDavid Bowens has been keeping him up to date with the team.

The Jets yesterday again released P Ben GrahamBen Graham and will go forward with Reggie Hodges, the punter they originally signed to replace him. Hodges injured his plant leg the week he was signed and Graham had to be re-signed. Mangini indicated that a lack of consistent hang time is what did Graham in.

The Jets re-signed OL Will Montgomery to the active roster and released WR Paul Raymond from the practice squad.

Mangini announced Brett Favre as the offensive player of the week, and LB Calvin Pace as the defensive player of the week. Rookie Vernon Gholston was acknowledged as special teams player of the week for making four tackles in coverage.

JETS REPORT CARD

Posted: 2:45 am

September 30, 2008

Week 4 vs. Cardinals

QUARTERBACKS: A Perhaps the most significant thing Brett Favre (24-of-34, 289 yards, 6 TDs, 1 INT, 123.7 rating) did was get WR Laveranues ColesLaveranues Coles more involved. Favre spread the ball to eight different receivers.

RUNNING BACKS: C Thomas JonesThomas Jones (18 carries, 46 yards; 2 catches, 23 yards) never truly got into a rhythm in a pass-heavy game. The coaches tried to get Leon WashingtonLeon Washington (7 carries, 26 yards; 4 catches, 17 yards) involved, starting him.

RECEIVERS: A Laveranues Coles had a big day (8 catches, 105 yards, career-high 3 TDs), getting more involved than he's been all season. He did drop a TD pass. Jerricho Cotchery had 4 catches for 67 yards and 2 TDs, and Chansi Stuckey had 2 catches for 12 yards.

TIGHT ENDS: A Dustin Keller caught a 24-yard TD pass, his second TD in as many weeks. Bubba Franks had 2 catches for 32 yards, and Chris Baker had 1 for 9 yards.

OFFENSIVE LINE: B Brett Favre was sacked twice but had good protection. The run blocking was OK. Nick Mangold had a holding penalty negate a TD pass to Bubba Franks.

DEFENSIVE LINE: B NT Kris Jenkins was again a force with 2 pressures, one of which led to a Kurt Warner INT, and had 3 tackles. DE Shaun Ellis had a sack and a forced fumble. DE Kenyon Coleman had a tackle and a pressure. Cardinals had no lanes to run through.

LINEBACKERS: B+ David Bowens had 2 sacks and 2 forced fumbles, one of which he recovered. Calvin Pace had a sack and a forced fumble to go with 6 tackles. Bryan Thomas had a sack and 4 tackles. David Harris had 8 tackles.

SECONDARY: B CB Dwight Lowery had 9 tackles and a forced fumble. CB Darrelle Revis had 2 INTs, one returned for a TD, and 4 tackles. S Eric Smith had an INT. S Kerry Rhodes had 8 tackles. CB Hank Poteat had a fumble recovery. Did allow 472 passing yards.

SPECIAL TEAMS: C Leon Washington had a 9-yard punt return and an 18-yard kickoff return. Kick coverage was adequate, with Wallace Wright making three solo tackles.

KICKING GAME: B Biggest play was Kris Jenkins' blocked FG. Ben Graham averaged 48 yards on 2 punts. Jay Feely made a 20-yard FG and missed a 44-yarder.

COACHING: A Loved the fourth-and-1 call by Eric Mangini and Brian Schottenheimer to go for the jugular and the TD in the fourth quarter. Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton had a great aggressive plan that confused Warner and helped cause all those turnovers.

Jets' big victory makes for good bye

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

For the first time since 2004, the Jets are carrying a victory into the bye week, not the usual baggage from seasons past. There's no quarterback controversy, no major injuries and no foundation-shaking loss to overcome. Can't you tell by the look on Eric Mangini's face? "People are a little more jovial around here," safety Kerry Rhodes said Monday at the team's Florham Park, N.J., facility. "Eric is a little red in the face. You know how he gets when he's happy."

Quicker than you can say "Favre-to-Coles" three times, the Jets (2-2) changed the complexion of their season, erasing the Monday night debacle in San Diego with a 56-35 rout of the Cardinals. At the first-quarter mark of the season, the Jets own the fourth highest-scoring offense (29 points per game) and the top-rated quarterback (before last night). Brett Favre's six-touchdown game improved his rating to 110.8, but there's a better way to appreciate his impact on the team: He managed to throw more touchdowns in 34 attempts than Kellen Clemens produced last season - a total of 250 passes. With 12 scoring passes, Favre is only three shy of last year's total between Clemens and Chad Pennington. "I think it's been steady," Mangini said of the offensive improvement.

The Jets will practice Tuesday and Wednesday, followed by a four-day respite.

CHATMAN BACK: RB Jesse Chatman, who served a four-game suspension for violating the league's policy on steroids and related substances, returned to the team and is eligible to practice and play. Chatman tested positive for a diuretic - a "masking agent," he called it - but he refused to say why he took it. "I'm not a cheater," he said.

BOOTED AGAIN: Punter Ben Graham was waived for the second time in two weeks. Presumably, Reggie Hodges (thigh), who got hurt after being signed to replace Graham, is healthy.

Jets notes: Hello, goodbye Monday, September 29, 2008 BY J.P. PELZMAN-STAFF WRITER

Chatman returns

Jesse Chatman spent the past four weeks working out with a personal trainer and being a volunteer assistant coach at Morristown High School. Finally today, he was back in the NFL.

The veteran running back returned to the Jets after being suspended four games without pay for violating the NFL

Jet's hit brings suspension, fine Monday, September 29, 2008

Last updated: Monday September 29, 2008, EDT 10:35 PM

Free safety Eric Smith received a one-game suspension from the NFL today, plus a $50,000 fine, for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Arizona wide receiver Anquan Boldin late in the Jets

Jets cut punter Graham for second time in past two weeks

Associated Press

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Ben Graham was released by the New York Jets -- again.

The Australian punter who was cut after a poor outing in New York's loss to New England on Sept. 16 only to be re-signed a few days later, was again let go by the Jets on Monday.

Graham

He had two punts for a 48-yard average in a 56-35 victory over Arizona on Sunday, and dropped his only two kicks against San Diego last Monday inside the Chargers 20-yard line with no returns. Still, the Jets weren't completely satisfied.

"Our net [average] was very good, the gross wasn't bad, but it's more difficult to cover those punts without the hang time," coach Eric Mangini said. "You want to have the combination of the two."

After cutting Graham the first time, the team signed journeyman Reggie Hodges to the active roster and rookie Waylon Prather to the practice squad the next day. After Hodges strained his left thigh in practice and Prather proved he wasn't ready to play in the NFL, the Jets re-signed Graham.

Hodges, sidelined the past two games, is expected to be New York's punter for the Jets' next game against Cincinnati on Oct. 12. The 26-year-old Hodges was a sixth-round draft pick by St. Louis out of Ball State in 2005, but hasn't punted in an NFL game in nearly three years.

"Like I said when we signed Hodges, we liked him coming out," Mangini said. "We liked the things that he did here. It's unfortunate, sort of his early stages there, not being able to have an opportunity. So, I want to give him that opportunity, see how that is."

The Jets also re-signed offensive lineman Will Montgomery to the active roster and released wide receiver Paul Raymond from the practice squad.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Jets spokesman on bizarre suspension of Smith

Jets spokesman Bruce Speight By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Sep 29, 2008

Like many people, the Jets themselves are shocked at the $50,000 fine and one game suspension of safety Eric Smith for his hit on Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin.

"We respect and support the League

Archived