NY JETS news articles- 11/22/08

Kentucky Jet

JETS READY TO STRUT SOUTH

By DAN MARTIN

Posted: 4:44 am

November 22, 2008

Damien Woody knows what the JetsNew York Jets are up against tomorrow, going on the road to face a Tennessee team that is 10-0 and has one of the most feared defensive lines in the league.

Despite that, the right tackle said there is one thing the Jets need to spoil the Titans' bid of a perfect season.

"I think most importantly, we've gotta go down there with a swagger," Woody said. "You can never go into that kind of situation intimidated. We're going down there to win the game and we're definitely capable of doing that."

Finding that swagger will not be a problem, Woody said, even going into an undefeated team's stadium.

"Not at all," Woody said. "We've won six of seven. We feel like we're a pretty good team also."

The offensive line likely will have to be better than pretty good tomorrow. Albert Haynesworth is widely regarded as the premier defensive tackle in football and defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch, who had 12 sacks a year ago, has played well, too.

"They have a very good front four," Woody said. "They generate a lot of pressure and don't really blitz a lot. That's a mark of a good D-line."

After watching film, Woody came away impressed, but not surprised: "They're as good as advertised. They're explosive and cause havoc. Albert Haynesworth is the real deal."

So is Vanden Bosch, according to coach Eric Mangini.

"They have two guys who can ruin the game at any point," he said of the pair. "They can be disruptive on any given play."

Mangini wouldn't say whether Ty Law would start tomorrow, but he clearly isn't against the idea.

"I'd be completely comfortable with him starting," Mangini said.

Both he and defensive coordinator Bob Sutton remained impressed by what Law was able to do in his first game back with the Jets with little preparation.

"He must really do a good job of staying in condition, but it's still difficult to duplicate game conditions," Sutton said. "He wants to make plays. That's his strength."

The NFL announced yesterday that fifth-round pick QB Erik Ainge was suspended without pay for four games for violating the NFL's policy on steroids and related substances. Ainge, who is on injured reserve, begins his suspension immediately and will be eligible to return to the team's facilities after the Jets' game against the Bills on Dec. 14. . . . Mangini hasn't settled on whether he will use Mike NugentMike Nugent or Jay Feely. "We kicked both guys during the course of the week," Mangini said. "Mike, each week, gets a little bit better. Feely has kicked really well. We'll make a decision by the end of week." . . . LB David HarrisDavid Harris (groin) and S Eric Smith (head) are out tomorrow.

dan.martin@nypost.com

JETS HUNT FOR NEXT BIG WIN VS. TITANS

HIGH FLIERS: The Titans have stayed grounded in their approach, but rookie game-breaker Chris Johnson and power back LenDale White have been hard to slow down.

Posted: 4:44 am

November 22, 2008

THE New York Giants ended the Patriots' perfect season in the Super Bowl. Now it's the New York Jets ' turn to end the Titans' perfect season tomorrow in Nashville.

The stakes aren't as high - but they're plenty high.

This isn't the kind of season-defining moment the Jets enjoyed at the end of their Border War overtime test of wills in Foxboro.

But it could go a long way toward determining the AFC representative in the Super Bowl - and how realistic a Jets-Giants Super Bowl may truly be.

If Brett Favre and the Jets can be road warriors again and upset the 10-0 Titans - and right now they believe they can do anything, including fix the economy - they will remain very much in play for the No. 2 seed and first-round bye in the AFC playoffs.

It also would keep them in first place in the tight AFC East.

It also would give them a psychological advantage over the Titans should they meet deep in the playoffs.

All that makes this one a titanic showdown.

The Bretts are battle-tested enough to go toe-to-toe with the Titans now that they know how to finish in the big game.

Now that Favre finally has made this his team, the Jets figure to be that much more armed and dangerous from here to the end of the season as long as No. 4 limits those reckless passes to the other team.

The fact that they had an extra three days of rest will not hurt either.

The Titans have a blueprint much like the Giants - they prefer to beat you down with the running game and defense. And just as opponents thought they were on the brink of figuring out the Titans, by loading up against game-breaking rookie running back Chris Johnson and red zone bruiser LenDale White, coach Jeff Fisher asked Kerry Collins to win the past two games with his arm. And the Giants' Super Bowl XXXV quarterback obliged.

Collins doesn't have Randy Moss or Wes Welker, and the Jets didn't place an emergency call to Ty Law to match up against Justin Gage, but the guy did just catch a pair of touchdown passes in the Titans' come-from-behind victory over the Jaguars. And the Jets better not sleep on tight end Bo Scaife. And this Kerry Collins doesn't get sacked and doesn't throw interceptions.

It will be just as fascinating watching Thomas JonesThomas Jones and Leon Washington try to run at and around Albert Haynesworth as it will be watching White (11 TDs) and Johnson - Tennessee's Smash and Dash - run at and around Kris Jenkins. The matchups between ex-Jets center Kevin Mawae and Mount Jenkins, and between Nick Mangold and Alan Faneca and Mount Haynesworth should have John Madden and all trench warfare aficionados salivating.

Fisher, like coach Tom Coughlin, successfully has sold his blue-collar players on the importance of keeping their eyes on that Sunday's prize.

"One of the things our coach emphasizes is, 'Be confident, but not complacent,' " ball-hawking cornerback Courtland Finnegan said.

Playoffs? . . . Playoffs ?

"Nobody's talking about playoffs, nobody's talking about an undefeated season," Mawae said.

The defending champion Giants believe they are the best team in football - [and they are]. If the Titans believe they are, they're keeping it to themselves.

"We're not foolish enough to believe that we're the best team in the league," Mawae said.

The good news for coach Eric Mangini is he will not have to rehearse pumping up the Titans without doubling over in laughter, the way he would, say, the Bengals, Chiefs or Rams.

"I think any team is inherently beatable," Mangini said. "You see that week-in and week-out. The one thing that you do see is consistency from them. They don't beat themselves."

A month ago, Mangini was steering the Titanic. Now he's coming off one titanic victory, and seeking another.

steve.serby@nypost.com

Ty Law's return better than imagined

BY OHM YOUNGMISUK

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, November 22nd 2008, 12:58 AM

Sipkin/News

Ty Law

A cornerback's life can be a lonely one. Ty Law knows this all too well.

Law has spent most of his life covering wide receivers one-on-one on what feels like an island. But for much of the past year, Law spent a lot of hours on a field, often by himself, simulating games in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Sometimes with the help of a trainer, Law would pretend to cover a wide receiver by running patterns and routes. He would run himself through two-minute drills with his trainer throwing passes at him. When the trainer wasn't around, Law would use his imagination.

"If my trainer wasn't there to throw me balls, I would go out there and play against the air," Law said. "Five, 10 plays in a row, I would do posts, different routes, and imagine. You have a hell of an imagination when you are out there by yourself."

Not even Law could have even envisioned how his return to the Jets would go. Just days after the Jets signed him, Law found himself covering Randy Moss and partipating in 57 plays in the Jets' 34-31 overtime win in New England on Nov. 13.

Until then, the 34-year-old hadn't played in a game since ending the 2007 season with the Chiefs. Now, in only his second game back against Tennessee Sunday, Law could find himself in the starting lineup. He said there's a "pretty good chance" of starting opposite Darrelle Revis.

"I would be completely comfortable with him starting," Eric Mangini said of putting Law in over rookie Dwight Lowery. "He's a guy I've had a long relationship with and I feel very comfortable with in terms of his preparation, his level of conditioning and his performance."

After spending his last two years with the Chiefs, Law said he wanted to end his career on a winning note. That is why he kept training and considered the Patriots before choosing to return for a second stint with the Jets.

"Being in Kansas City, that wasn't the way I wanted to end my career," said the 14-year pro. "I made a lot of plays, won a lot of accolades, won Super Bowls, made a lot of money, it just wasn't enough. Even though I think I could have held my head up high, I had a hell of a career, I wasn't fulfilled. I wasn't done."

Law's seamless inclusion into lineup impressive - KATIE STRANG | caitlin.strang@newsday.com

November 22, 2008

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Ty Law's most recent trajectory - out of professional football one week, heavy playing time in a key AFC East showdown the next - may seem inconceivable, but as much as Law tries to shrug it off, he's forced to deal with the reality of his hasty transition.

"I try not to think about it too much," Law said Friday, "but my body reminds me that I did play a little more than expected."

Law, 34, exceeded many expectations during last week's 34-31 overtime win over the Patriots. After only two days of practice with his new team - he signed a one-year contract Nov. 10 - Law was in for 57 defensive plays and was given the responsibility of shadowing Randy Moss.

"To be able to do the things we wanted from a football standpoint in that short period of time, I thought he did a really outstanding job," defensive coordinator Bob Sutton said.

Law was defending Moss when the Patriots tied the score at 31 with one second remaining in regulation. In a basketball-like play, Moss got position on Law in the end zone, boxed him out, called for the ball with his left hand, dived to his left and made an outstanding catch across the sideline while dragging his feet for the touchdown.

But on the whole, Law was so impressive that he may have earned himself a starting spot to replace rookie cornerback Dwight Lowery, who has struggled recently.

"I'd be completely comfortable with him starting," coach Eric Mangini said. "I think last week was a good indication of where's he's at physically, and to be able to come in, not have done a lot of football-specific things and still play as many plays as he played, I thought he played at a pretty good level."

While Law was quoted earlier in the week as saying there's a "pretty good chance" he'll start Sunday against the Titans, he said he's happy to contribute however he's used.

"I'll play whatever role they ask me to play. It's not that big of a deal starting now or starting next week. At some point, hopefully, I'll be in there," Law said. "I've been a starter for 14 years."

Knowing that Mangini has faith in him gives Law a boost. "He's the head coach, so if he feels comfortable, that's a compliment," Law said. "I'm a role player, so even if I did start, I'm quite sure that they are going to relieve me at times so I can catch up and get my legs under me. I'm just happy to be here. If I'm starting, I'm starting. If not, I'll be ready when they tell me to go."

Notes&quotes: David Harris and Eric Smith did not practice and are out. Bubba Franks fully participated and Jason Trusnik was limited; both are questionable. Laveranues Coles and Mike Nugent were limited and listed as probable. Jerricho Cotchery, Shaun Ellis, Brad Smith and Cody Spencer fully participated and are listed as probable ... For the Titans, DE Kyle Vanden Bosch did not practice and is listed as questionable. LenDale White fully participated and is probable.

Sunday

Jets at Tennesse

1 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WABC (770), WEPN (1050), WRCN (103.9)

Fisher stays silent on parachute jump

By Jim Wyatt • THE TENNESSEAN • November 22, 2008

Titans Coach Jeff Fisher remained quiet Friday about his jump from a helicopter Thursday with members of the 101st Airborne Parachute team.

Four members jumped before Fisher, who was paired with another member. One of the jumpers was Sgt. Max Ramsey, who lost a leg while serving in Iraq.

They landed on one of the practice fields at Baptist Sports Park, where Fisher spoke with the players about persevering.

Fisher has declined to comment, indicating only that he didn't jump for publicity.

"I don't know how many coaches would do something like that,'' tight end Bo Scaife said. "I'm still surprised … I know I wouldn't do anything like that. But that's Coach.''

The jumps were made from about 12,000 feet. The same parachute team, minus Fisher, will be a part of the festivities before Sunday's Jets-Titans game at LP Field.

Ball player: Dave Ball, who filled in for injured defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch, recorded a sack and 10 tackles in the past three games.

Not bad for a guy who was out of football last season and hadn't played a snap since 2006 with the Jets. He also has spent time with the Panthers and Chargers.

"When I thought of the NFL, this is how I imagined it,'' Ball said. "Getting a chance for playing time and being successful on a team that's winning. ... A lot of people have been calling me and texting me and saying, 'Good job, I'm proud of you.' It's been a lot of fun.''

Ball played part of the 2005 season and all of '06 with the Jets, who opted not to tender him. Ball said he wasn't a good fit in their 3-4 scheme. He played primarily on special teams.

"The one thing that Dave has always had is a really high motor and a really good work ethic and I couldn't be happier for Dave,'' Jets Coach Eric Mangini said this week. "It looks like he's fit in the system extremely well and sometimes that's a function of what has to happen with any player, finding the right system.''

With Vanden Bosch expected back in the lineup Sunday, Ball's snaps are going to be limited. He played 47 snaps against the Jaguars last week, when he had a sack and five tackles.

Vanden Bosch (groin) did not practice Friday and is listed as questionable for Sunday, but he practiced on Wednesday and Thursday.

Roster moves:The Titans have agreed to terms with veteran free agent Tyrone Poole after a rash of injuries in their secondary.

In addition to Poole, the team has decided to promote Tuff Harris from the practice squad to their 53-man roster.

To make room for both players, injured cornerbacks Eric King and Reynaldo Hill will be placed on injured reserve today.

Poole is an 11-year veteran who was a former first-round draft pick (1995) of the Carolina Panthers. He has spent time with five different NFL clubs, most recently the Oakland Raiders. In his career, he has 18 interceptions. Poole paid a free agency visit to the Titans recently.

Harris has been working on the team's practice squad since early this season.

King had surgery earlier this week after suffering a broken forearm against the Jaguars, and Reynaldo Hill suffered a hip injury.

Thin at corner: Nick Harper is expected to miss his second straight game Sunday because of a foot injury, and that would leave the Titans with only two healthy cornerbacks.

Chris Carr, who came off the bench last week and had an interception, is expected to start in Harper's place on the left side, opposite Cortland Finnegan.

Harper, who didn't practice this week, is listed as doubtful on the injury report.

Double teamed: Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth estimated he was double-teamed 75 percent of the time last season. He said it's probably 95 percent this season.

"It is definitely a respect level,'' Haynesworth said. "But it also gives everybody else a chance to be freed up to make plays. … I'll probably get double teamed for the rest of my career.''

Haynesworth will spend a lot of time Sunday battling Jets guard Alan Faneca, who signed a five-year $40-million deal this year but has allowed a team-leading five sacks. Haynesworth has seven sacks.

"Normally, you face a big guy and you can lay everything into it. Now you have a big guy who's strong, with speed and quickness,'' Faneca said. "Now, all of a sudden, you can't do that. You have to honor both. That's the deadly combination that makes things difficult."

Police duty: Plain-clothed police officers will be looking for anyone trying to sell counterfeit tickets and/or parking passes at LP Field on Sunday.

A number of fans said they paid $30 each or more for what turned out to be fake parking passes for the Nov. 2 game against the Packers.

Original parking passes are perforated and have a foil component near the bottom.

The team hasn't reported many issues with counterfeit tickets, but there are ways to determine if a ticket is original.

On tickets issued by the team, small Titans watermarks appear on the back just above the perforation. On tickets issued by Ticketmaster, a blue ribbon can be seen if the ticket is slightly torn on one of the edges.

Food drive: The Titans and Second Harvest Food Bank are holding their annual food drive Sunday. Fans are asked to donate nonperishable items. There will be drop-off locations around the stadium starting at 10 a.m.

Other injuries: Defensive tackle Jason Jones (foot) has also been ruled out for Sunday. Defensive end William Hayes (knee) did not practice and is listed as questionable.

Reach Jim Wyatt at 615-259-8015 or jwyatt@tennessean.com.

Rookie Keller making big impact Saturday, November 22, 2008 BY TARA SULLIVAN--STAFF WRITER

FLORHAM PARK — When rookie tight end Dustin Keller led the Jets in receiving two games ago against St. Louis, veteran quarterback Brett Favre later revealed his postgame message to his young teammate.

"I told him after the game in the locker room, 'I wish I would have had you a few years back,' " Favre said.

That is high praise coming from Favre, whose Hall of Fame career has been built on the hands of his tight ends.

But the confidence Favre is gaining in Keller is obvious in more than just his words.

In an encore to outdo the blowout of the hapless Rams (in which Keller made six catches for 107 yards and a touchdown), the first-round draft pick had a team-high eight catches for 87 yards in the overtime victory over the rival Patriots.

No catch was bigger than the 16-yarder he made on the third play of overtime, which turned a third-and-15 into a first down en route to the game-winning kick. The play was one Favre specifically requested be included in the game plan and is indicative of his growing trust in Keller.

"It's always good to have the quarterback counting on you and having faith in you because it's not something that's given, but something that's earned," Jets coach Eric Mangini said.

"Dustin has earned Brett's respect."

Keller is beginning to show more of his feisty personality on the field, imitating an official's first-down signal on a few occasions.

Favre deserves some credit.

"It was huge for me to have a guy of Brett's caliber say that about me – a big confidence booster," Keller said after practice Friday.

"It couldn't have come from a better guy."

The Jets traded up to make Keller their second first-round pick (30th overall), and at the time, they didn't have Favre. But the late trade for the future Hall of Famer only brightened Keller's outlook for an impact rookie season.

At least, that's what teammate and fellow tight end Bubba Franks told him. Franks spent eight years with Favre in Green Bay and caught 29 touchdowns from him.

"Bubba told us to get ready, that the ball is coming fast and the ball is coming our way. A lot," Keller said.

"I was definitely prepared and excited for the opportunity."

As the Jets head to Tennessee today to take on the undefeated Titans on Sunday afternoon, Favre will be facing one of the league's best defenses.

In the face of pressure from DT Albert Haynesworth and DE Kyle Vanden Bosch, both playing at Pro Bowl levels, Favre just might need the quick release to his tight ends. And Keller has the confidence to be there.

"I feel like [whomever] I'm lined up against, I have a mismatch, but I think if you don't have that mentality, you're already a failure, Keller said.

AINGE SUSPENDED: Jets No. 4 QB Erik Ainge was suspended without pay for four games for violating the NFL Policy on Steroids and Related Substances, the league announced Friday. Ainge's suspension begins immediately. Though the league said he will be eligible to rejoin the team Dec. 15, Ainge is on injured reserve with a foot injury.

LAW IN ORDER: CB Ty Law is heading into his second game in his second stint as a Jet and Mangini said Friday that he's "completely comfortable" with Law being his starter. Law indicated this week that he would get the nod over struggling rookie Dwight Lowery.

"He's the head coach, so if he feels comfortable, that's a compliment," Law said. "I'm a role player, so even if I did start I'm quite sure they are going to relieve me at times so I can catch up and get my legs under me. I'm just happy to be here. If I'm starting, I'm starting. If not, I'll be ready when they tell me to go.

Lowery had started every game, but Law took 57 snaps on defense against New England. "He was pretty sore after that – it was good we had the break we did," Mangini said, referring to the time off after the Thursday night game.

E-mail: sullivan@northjersey.com

So You Think the Jets Will Beat the Titans?

by Darren Sanchez (Contributor)

November 20, 2008

NFL Week 12 Preview: Titans Put Perfection on the Line Against Surging Jets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was Ben Hogan Better Than Tiger Woods?Congers, NY

Archived