Geovany Soto failed drug test during World Baseball Classic

Lil Bit Special

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/06/geovany-soto-failed-drug-test-during-world-baseball-classic.html

DETROIT -- Cubs catcher Geovany Soto tested positive for marijuana while playing for Puerto Rico during the World Baseball Classic last March, the International Baseball Federation announced Thursday.

Soto released a statement saying he was "embarrassed by my lapse in judgment."

"While I full acknowledge my inappropriate behavior, I want to assure my fans and my family that this was an isolated incident," he said.

Soto will be banned from international play for two years, but the positive drug test does not have any impact on his major league availability. The Cubs released an unsigned statement indicating Soto has been drug tested regularly and this was the only positive test.

"Geovany assured the organization this was an isolated incident and a misstep in judgment that will not be repeated," the statement said. "Though surprised and disappointed, the club supports Geovany as he takes responsibility for his actions and accepts the consequences."

Soto is expected to address the media after the game.

Archived