NYJETS start pay cuts.

visajets

The Jets start their organizational pay cuts

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 12, 2011, 4:34 PM EST

Rex Ryan can expect his pay check next week to be a little lighter.

As expected, the Jets embarked Saturday on organization-wide pay cuts and mandatory furloughs with the lockout underway.

“Our plans are in effect,” the team said in a statement to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “This is a fluid situation. We will obviously be evaluating our approach as events unfold.”

Everyone contracted on the football operations side of the business will take a 25% pay cut. Everyone else will have mandatory furloughs throughout the offseason. If no preseason games are missed, the employees will be reimbursed for the money.

The news is a reminder that the people that can least afford a pay cut will be the ones who get hurt the most in a work stoppage if it drags on. Pay cuts and firings within the league would increase dramatically if a work stoppage stretched into the regular season.

Jets owner Woody Johnson released a statement on the lockout, but it doesn’t really say anything new.

I am not in tune with the Jets revenue streams. Sure merchandise sales will be down as a result of the lockout. But historically speaking March and pre-draft April have to be the low points for Merchandise sales anyhow.

Seems to me like they are cutting expenses well before they lose revenue.

Are they bracing themselves for a long holdout? Or just being cheap and shortsighted?

I am not in tune with the Jets revenue streams. Sure merchandise sales will be down as a result of the lockout. But historically speaking March and pre-draft April have to be the low points for Merchandise sales anyhow.

Are they bracing themselves for a long holdout? Or just being cheap and shortsighted?

Next season, Gruden, Fisher and Cowher could be landing retarded money megadeals to try and do what Rex has already done in his first two seasons here at a relative bargain rate. Seems like a good time to pinch pennies with him, of course.

Just more public relations nonsense. Just curious what the Jets plan on doing about the PSLs.

Those PSLs are investments and give you a "right" to a seat? I hope all the PSL suckers sue the Jets if there's a lockout.

Just more public relations nonsense. Just curious what the Jets plan on doing about the PSLs.

Those PSLs are investments and give you a "right" to a seat? I hope all the PSL suckers sue the Jets if there's a lockout.

You will still have the right to a seat. Im sure they wouldnt mind you or anyone else showing up on Sundays and sitting in an empty stadium enjoying your PSL seat.

Archived