NY Post Costello: Jets Focused on improving despite Lockout

flgreen

Jets management focused on improving despite lockout

| More Print

3:03 PM, May 9, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Normally, Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan would be finishing up a rookie minicamp and preparing for organized team activities. But nothing is normal about this spring.

With the NFL lockout ongoing, the Jets leadership hit the golf course Monday for a charity tournament in Monroe Township, N.J. sponsored by the Yankees and the Pinstripe Bowl.

Tannenbaum said the Jets front office has been getting creative on how to better the team while there is nothing they can do to their roster.

“We’re really focused on improving,” he said. “From our standpoint I find it to be a little bit entrepreneurial because typically you’re in a very regimented situation – rookie camp, OTAs, veteran minicamps. I think most managers, we write down things. I know Rex had a long list of the rainy-day projects so we pulled out that list and that’s what we’re working on now. We see it as an opportunity to get better.”

Ryan said the team brought in former Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore to work with the coaching staff, and plans to see former coaches for tutorials.

“We’re going to bring in guys, even position coach guys that might be out there,” Ryan said. “If we can get an idea or two ideas from somebody then it’s worth it. We’re about improving as coaches and collectively and all that kind of stuff. We’re excited about that. It’s going to give us a chance to get better.”

Jets management focused on improving despite lockout

| More Print

3:03 PM, May 9, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Normally, Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan would be finishing up a rookie minicamp and preparing for organized team activities. But nothing is normal about this spring.

With the NFL lockout ongoing, the Jets leadership hit the golf course Monday for a charity tournament in Monroe Township, N.J. sponsored by the Yankees and the Pinstripe Bowl.

Tannenbaum said the Jets front office has been getting creative on how to better the team while there is nothing they can do to their roster.

“We’re really focused on improving,” he said. “From our standpoint I find it to be a little bit entrepreneurial because typically you’re in a very regimented situation – rookie camp, OTAs, veteran minicamps. I think most managers, we write down things. I know Rex had a long list of the rainy-day projects so we pulled out that list and that’s what we’re working on now. We see it as an opportunity to get better.”

Ryan said the team brought in former Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore to work with the coaching staff, and plans to see former coaches for tutorials.

“We’re going to bring in guys, even position coach guys that might be out there,” Ryan said. “If we can get an idea or two ideas from somebody then it’s worth it. We’re about improving as coaches and collectively and all that kind of stuff. We’re excited about that. It’s going to give us a chance to get better.”

Schotty got coached by Tom Moore. This shows how concerned the JETS are with Schotty's playcalling.

Archived