Bart Scott on Lockout, "We're Bordering now on the Edge of Insanity

flgreen

May 19, 2011 8:21 PM 1 comment

Jets linebacker Bart Scott on lockout: "We’re bordering now on the verge of insanity."

BY Manish Mehta

Four months after Bart Scott’s memorable post-game interview that spawned a YouTube hit and new catchphrase, the Jets linebacker spoke with ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio for an encore chat that aired on ESPN Thursday night. The always entertaining Scott touched on everything from the lockout to Rex Ryan’s latest bold claim to Mark Sanchez’s leadership.

On the lockout: “We’re bordering now on the verge of insanity. Fans don’t want to hear about lockout. They don’t want to hear about people arguing over $9 billion. They want the bottom line. Because at the end of the day, these guys are saving up throughout the entire year to come out and spend their hard earned money to see football. And we’re telling them that they can spend their hard earned money but we’re not playing until we figure it out. I listen to (Patriots owner Robert) Kraft. I don’t agree with the Patriots on a lot of things, but I agree with him that we’re really on the verge of irritating our fan base and damaging the fabric of the game.”

On Rex Ryan’s countless Super Bowl predictions: “We love it. That’s his personality. We back him 100 percent, because I know if he’s out there writing checks, I’m going to have to help him cash them, so I know I better have my butt ready in here, because the target is going to be on our backs as well. We embrace the challenge. I think it’s about time for us to get it done and see this thing through. Because after a while people are going to start looking at it as a joke.”

On Sanchez: “I think it’s time for him to take that next step. It’s the next step for him to take that maturation period to step up into the upper echelon of quarterbacks in this league. Mark was thrown into the fire and expectations were high. He’s had his ups. He’s had his downs… But he’s stayed positive. He’s one of the hardest workers… not just quarterbacks… hardest working people I’ve ever seen. It’s time for him to take the next step and really take control of this team. And not really have to hold on to the steering wheel, but actually guide the car.”

During the interview, Scott wore a black t-shirt with an image of him with arms outstretched -- the same pose he struck before talking to Paolantonio on the field after the Jets’ divisional playoff win against the Patriots in January. His “Can’t Wait” catchphrase caught fire. So, he decided to produce the new t-shirt. The script on the front reads: “To All the Nonbelievers… Anybody Can Be Beat.”

The t-shirts aren’t for sale yet, but they will soon. Stay tuned.

I’m sure that Jets fans can’t wait.

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Bart: Jets will be "joke" if fall short of SB

May, 20, 2011

May 20

10:31

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

On the first stop of their reunion tour (just kidding), Bart Scott -- in a sitdown with ESPN's Sal Paolantonio (here's the video) -- serves up a couple of interesting quotes. He usually does, of course, but in this case, he raises some eyebrows.

He actually sides with Patriots owner Robert Kraft on the lockout, and he suggests the Jets will be deemed a "joke" if they don't back up Rex Ryan's Super Bowl guarantee.

First, the guarantee.

Scott said the team is 100 percent behind their coach, saying the players embrace the challenge, but he added: "I think it's about time we get it done and see this thing through because, after a while, people are going to start looking at it as a joke."

I happen to agree with Scott. Ryan has done wonderful things for the Jets in two seasons, but if they miss the Super Bowl again, his bold proclamations will be mocked by detractors.

Paolantonio, who conducted the celebrated "Can't Wait" interview with Scott after the Jets' playoff upset of the Patriots, asks the loquacious linebacker about the lockout. After claiming "we're bordering now on the verge of insanity," Scott admits that he agrees with a recent statement by Kraft.

"I listen to Kraft, and I don't agree with the Patriots on a lot of things, but I agree with him that we're on the verge of irritating the fan base and damaging the fabric of the game," he says.

A Jet and a Patriot on the same side of an issue? Wow, this has been a strange offseason

Archived