Rex gets Lockout Advice from Gibbs

flgreen

Rex gets coaching lockout advice from Gibbs

Jets Blog

By TIM BONTEMPS

Last Updated: 3:12 AM, May 27, 2011

Posted: 12:58 AM, May 27, 2011

More Print

Joe Gibbs won two Super Bowls following NFL work stoppages. So, in his quest to lead the Jets to the Vince Lombardi Trophy, coach Rex Ryan reached out to Gibbs for advice on how to handle a possible work stoppage this fall.

"I called Joe Gibbs," Ryan said, according to the team's official website. "When they went through some work stoppages, the last two times the Washington Redskins won two Super Bowls. So I figured that would be a good guy to call."

The Redskins captured Super Bowl XVII after a strike shortened the 1982 season to nine games, and then won Super Bowl XXII after the 1987 season, in which another strike saw teams use replacement players.

"He said take this time to get better," Ryan said of Gibbs. "Take time to gain an advantage on your opponents and whatever you think that is. He gave me some ideas and I followed them to a tee."

Ryan also said he plans to visit personally with Gibbs in the coming weeks.

This isn't the first time Ryan has solicited outside opinions since the NFL's owners locked out the players in March. Ryan also has held meetings with longtime Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore and longtime NFL assistant Bobby Jackson. Ryan also said he plans to meet with former Giants head coach Dan Reeves.

tbontemps@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/rex_gets_coaching_lockout_advice_90W1LvHuJk2vPQtAznzTZP#ixzz1NZ2pYNzL

Rex Ryan goes to Gibbs, Moore for advice

May, 27, 2011

May 27

2:19

PM ET

Email

Print

Comments3

By Tim Graham

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan has spent part of the lockout flipping through his Rolodex in search of advice on how to improve his team.

Ryan has met with coaches he respects, including former Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore and former Miami Dolphins running backs coach Bobby Jackson about ways to improve production.

Ryan also has reached out to Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs for tips on dealing with labor troubles.

"When they went through some work stoppages, the last two times the Washington Redskins won two Super Bowls," Ryan said on NewYorkJets.com. "So I figured that would be a good guy to call."

Gibbs led the Redskins to Super Bowl titles after the 1982 and 1987 player strikes.

"He said 'Take this time to get better. Take time to gain an advantage on your opponents and whatever you think that is,' " Ryan said. "He gave me some ideas and I followed them to a T."

Ryan made the comments Wednesday at a business event in Manhattan.

He also said one of the Jets' priorities is to improve their red-zone offense.

"For a top team, it doesn't add up," Ryan said. "We do everything else well except when we get in the red zone. We absolutely struggled in the red zone. We are going to change our practice schedule. We are going to practice more red zone, and we are going to practice two-minute."

That's where Moore's input has been significant.

"Over the last six-year period, the Indianapolis Colts have been by far and away the most efficient offense in the red zone," Ryan said. "And this man has been the coach. It was interesting picking his brain. He's really helping us."

Rex Ryan goes to Gibbs, Moore for advice

May, 27, 2011

May 27

2:19

PM ET

Email

Print

Comments3

By Tim Graham

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan has spent part of the lockout flipping through his Rolodex in search of advice on how to improve his team.

Ryan has met with coaches he respects, including former Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore and former Miami Dolphins running backs coach Bobby Jackson about ways to improve production.

Ryan also has reached out to Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs for tips on dealing with labor troubles.

"When they went through some work stoppages, the last two times the Washington Redskins won two Super Bowls," Ryan said on NewYorkJets.com. "So I figured that would be a good guy to call."

Gibbs led the Redskins to Super Bowl titles after the 1982 and 1987 player strikes.

"He said 'Take this time to get better. Take time to gain an advantage on your opponents and whatever you think that is,' " Ryan said. "He gave me some ideas and I followed them to a T."

Ryan made the comments Wednesday at a business event in Manhattan.

He also said one of the Jets' priorities is to improve their red-zone offense.

"For a top team, it doesn't add up," Ryan said. "We do everything else well except when we get in the red zone. We absolutely struggled in the red zone. We are going to change our practice schedule. We are going to practice more red zone, and we are going to practice two-minute."

That's where Moore's input has been significant.

"Over the last six-year period, the Indianapolis Colts have been by far and away the most efficient offense in the red zone," Ryan said. "And this man has been the coach. It was interesting picking his brain. He's really helping us."

I was actually at this "business" meeting, which was held at the Core Club in Midtown, and met Rex, Woody Johnson, and a couple other Jets reps. It was essentially a fancy sales pitch to 50 or so people to sell the remaining 30 suites with a Q&A session hosted by Jeremy Schapp. Rex mentioned that he was reaching out to Gibbs and a few others for advice.

Archived