flgreen

Sanchez elevates stock during lockout

June, 5, 2011

Jun 5

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Sunday notes on the Jets and around the NFL:

One thing about the lockout, from the Jets' perspective, that jumps out: QB Mark Sanchez has solidified himself as the team leader after only two seasons. NT Sione Pouha made a remark the other day at the D-line workout in New Jersey that resonated: He referred to Sanchez as "our leader," adding, "When Mark makes the call (for a full-squad workout), we'll be there."

You always hear players referring to themselves as team leaders, but it means more when it comes from their teammates. Sanchez's evolution as the team leader gained momentum last season, and he took it to a new level with "Jets West." Leadership is huge, especially in a work stoppage when players are looking for guidance.

WAITING AND HOPING: You get the feeling that the players and owners, both afraid of the unknown as they wait for the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals to render a decision on Friday's appeal, will be motivated to sit down at the bargaining table to hammer out an agreement. The NFL is all about wins and losses, but this is one time where it might make sense to stop the game in the fourth quarter and let everyone go home happy -- or at least try to.

FATHER KNOWS BEST: Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was surprised when his father, Marty, told him he was returning to coaching as the coach/GM of the UFL's Virginia Destroyers.

"I said to him, 'Are you crazy?'" Schottenheimer told me the other day. "He said he loves developing young players and he loves rebuilding projects. He’s thrilled about it, he’s fired up about it. But he said GM stuff is harder than we remembers."

ONE MORE SCHOTT: Schottenheimer doesn't subscribe to the notion that he'll have to scale back his playbook and training-camp installation because of all the lost time due to the lockout. "I don't agree with that at all," he told me. I don't know if I'm buying that; methinks that is coachspeak.

COACHING CHAOS: The Jets' coaching staff is one of 15 that didn't know about or support a legal brief filed by the NFL Coaches' Association that supports the players in the labor dispute. Rex Ryan, in a statement, said the brief -- filed in the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals -- came "out of left field on us." Strange, indeed.

SAY IT AIN'T SO: Funny comment (sort of) from a high-school student outside the Morris County (N.J.) school where the Jets' defensive linemen worked out last week. One student, evidently not a Jets fan, walked past DE Muhammad Wilkerson in the parking lot and whispered to a friend, "I think that was Vernon Gholston." To the Jets' hierarchy, that's fingernails across a chalkboard.

HOME-RUN THREAT: Ryan likes to call Randy Moss the best vertical receiver in the game. Well, Ryan has a pretty fair deep threat on his own team -- Braylon Edwards. According to a study by ProFootballFocus.com, Edwards produced 401 receiving yards on deep passes (10th in the league) and four touchdowns (tied-ninth). He also was targeted 33 times (tie-seventh). A deep pass is defined as a throw of at least 20 yards.

"HOME-RUN THREAT: Ryan likes to call Randy Moss the best vertical receiver in the game. Well, Ryan has a pretty fair deep threat on his own team -- Braylon Edwards. According to a study by ProFootballFocus.com, Edwards produced 401 receiving yards on deep passes (10th in the league) and four touchdowns (tied-ninth). He also was targeted 33 times (tie-seventh). A deep pass is defined as a throw of at least 20 yards."

This is a very strong stat on a Run first team with 2 Elite WR's. He's also an excellent run blocker. Rare Combination.

Bring back Edwanrds

"I said to him, 'Are you crazy?'" Schottenheimer told me the other day. "He said he loves developing young players and he loves rebuilding projects. He’s thrilled about it, he’s fired up about it. But he said GM stuff is harder than we remembers."

Harder than we remembers? Was that really how it appeared in the article?

Link: More Than Just a Deep Threat

By Bassett on Jun 05, 2011, 8:18 am

Writes his Sunday wrap-up post and mentions a thought about Braylon versus Randy.

HOME-RUN THREAT: Ryan likes to call Randy Moss the best vertical receiver in the game. Well, Ryan has a pretty fair deep threat on his own team — Braylon Edwards. According to a study by ProFootballFocus.com, Edwards produced 401 receiving yards on deep passes (10th in the league) and four touchdowns (tied-ninth). He also was targeted 33 times (tie-seventh). A deep pass is defined as a throw of at least 20 yards.

I think Rex Ryan loves what Braylon is about, as evidenced by the fact that he was on the field so much in 2010. I think the problem is that Braylon is going to incur a premium to re-sign him, while Moss could be had for a lot less.

Beyond Braylon’s deep threat ability, the former Cleveland WR is a really good blocking receiver and his skill there has allowed the Jets to run for some long gains over the course of his almost two years with the Jets. Edwards has been a vital part on some long Brad Smith option plays, or runs that make it to the second level.

The problem of course, is that beyond Edwards excellent deep threat ability, Randy Moss is a guy who repeatedly jakes it on running plays, even running plays to his side. His unwillingness to get involved, more or less makes it one less person for the Jets on the field in those instances.

Archived