Red Zone Savior?

flgreen

Jets hope they've found a red-zone savior

Thursday, August 11, 2011

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

After Week 3 in 2010, eight of Mark Sanchez’s 12 touchdown passes covered more than 20 yards.

Glass half-full observation: The Jets had a lot of explosive plays in the passing game.

Glass half-empty observation: What the heck happened in the red zone? The Jets’ 40 percent touchdown ratio was the third worst in the NFL.

So the Jets made fixing that problem a priority as soon as last season was complete. That was the first thing they spoke about during a spring meeting with former Indianapolis offensive coordinator Tom Moore, who signed on as a consultant last month.

Credit charismatic coach Rex Ryan with yet another terrific recruiting job.

"I’m 72 and I love football," Moore said recently at training camp in Florham Park, "and I wanted to stay involved somewhere, somehow, and Rex asked me if I wanted to do it for the Jets. I have great respect for Rex. We competed against each other numerous times.

"I talked to some other" teams, Moore said. "The situations at other places just weren’t right. It’s not that they weren’t good. I’m very appreciative [for their interest], but this was the right situation at the right time with the right person. … This is a great organization."

Moore, who has coached for more than 40 years, was the Colts’ offensive coordinator from 1998 — Peyton Manning’s rookie season — to 2009. His role was reduced to senior offensive assistant in 2010, as Clyde Christensen became the coordinator. The Colts allowed Moore’s contract to expire during the off-season.

Moore will be with the Jets during camp, but will work from his home in Hilton Head, S.C., during the season, watching tape and making suggestions.

He said he has looked at the Jets’ red-zone possessions from last season, but didn’t share any judgments on what he saw.

"Last year is last year," he said, "and everybody is a year older and a year wiser. This year is this year. You learn from the past, but you don’t get overwhelmed by it."

Sixth-year offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said he wasn’t bothered by the hiring of Moore.

"Rex and I sat down and talked about it and we brought him in," Schottenheimer said. "We had some time during the lockout and we were doing research and stuff. When I found out that this was something [Moore] would be interested in, it was a no-brainer. … It’s going to be a great relationship. He’s a great sounding board [and] he’ll be able to do some great things for us, advancing some opponents."

If new acquisition Plaxico Burress can get over the ankle woes that have nagged him for the past week, his 6-foot-5 body and soft hands should help the Jets inside the 20.

Schottenheimer believes the Jets must do a better job on first-down plays inside an opponent’s 20.

"If you get into third-and-long in the red zone, unfortunately," he said, "you’re usually going to get eight guys in coverage … and they make you dump the ball off underneath. So we’ve got to do a better job [on first down]. We had some penalties where we were first-and-10 at the 12; next thing you know it’s first-and-15, and that makes it hard."

Moore already likes Sanchez’s work ethic and sees plenty of potential in the still-developing quarterback.

"He’s special," Moore said. "The sky’s the limit. He’s a young player in just his third year and he’s already been to two AFC Championship games, and that speaks volumes."

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Moore should help, I'm hoping Plax helps more.

It's not just having a tall guy. Jets had Keller and Braylon last year, but still sucked in the redzone.

This is more about complete execution, and the continuing development of Mark Sanchez. In a lot of ways, it's easier to throw an 80 yard TD than a 3 yard TD. On a compressed field, the defense is more concentrated. There isn't as much open space to go to. Like everything else on the offense, it falls to Mark.

And to Schotty, of course, not to call four straight LT runs.

It's not just having a tall guy. Jets had Keller and Braylon last year, but still sucked in the redzone.

This is more about complete execution, and the continuing development of Mark Sanchez. In a lot of ways, it's easier to throw an 80 yard TD than a 3 yard TD. On a compressed field, the defense is more concentrated. There isn't as much open space to go to. Like everything else on the offense, it falls to Mark.

[/quote

In the end your right. If Plax, and or Turner can play they will help tremendously. Plax is just so tall, and strong he should account for quite a few red zone scores.

Turner is also tall. He and Sanchez have a history at USC. he sucked with the Fish, but it could be their CS

In the end your right. If Plax, and or Turner can play they will help tremendously. Plax is just so tall, and strong he should account for quite a few red zone scores.

Turner is also tall. He and Sanchez have a history at USC. he sucked with the Fish, but it could be their CS

Right now, I don't expect Turner to make the team. Jets brought in a couple tall UDFA WR's who could make their way to the practice squad (they just signed another yesterday). If they go with five WR's in the regular season, it'll be Holmes, Plax, Mason, Kerley, and Logan (special teams), IMHO.

This could be Cumberland's last chance to make the roster, too. If he does, he might help down at the goal line.

Right now, I don't expect Turner to make the team. Jets brought in a couple tall UDFA WR's who could make their way to the practice squad (they just signed another yesterday). If they go with five WR's in the regular season, it'll be Holmes, Plax, Mason, Kerley, and Logan (special teams), IMHO.

This could be Cumberland's last chance to make the roster, too. If he does, he might help down at the goal line.

Could be wrong, but I suspect they will go with 6 WR's 3 TE's, and RT Turner as the short yardage TE.

We'll see how it shakes out starting Monday.

Ya dont say... ;)

Plax >>>> Keller and Edwards combined as a RZ threat...that was my point.

Archived