Jets News 9-15

flgreen

Jets a Little Nicked Up These Days, Too

Rex Ryan met the media yesterday to discuss the team's status and preparations for their upcoming game vs the Jacksonville Jaguars

from SNY.tv.....

Rex' full Wednesday presser....

First thing, we’ll go over the injury report. We had, of course, Logan Payneand Robert Turner out. We know they are still going to be a long time. Guys that did not participate were David Harris. He has a toe injury. We expect him back, but he did not practice today. Everybody else was full [participation]. Plaxico [burress] has an ankle [injury]. He practiced full. [Mark] Brunell, calf, Marquice Cole, ankle, John Conner, ankle, [Jeff] Cumberland, hamstring, [Marcus] Dixon, knee, Santonio Holmes, knee,Wayne Hunter, knee, Derrick Mason, knee, Sione Pouha, knee [and] ankle. Remember what Howard Cosell said, “It’s always the knee.” When in doubt, just put knee down there. You’re probably right.

Either way, we think we’re healthy. We had a great practice today, so I was fired up about that. It was kind of slow. There are more repeats, obviously, that first day, but I thought the energy and the tempo were good, so I was happy where we were.

Now for the big deal. I know with our fans there is some grumbling with us wearing the Titans stuff, the blue. Let me just explain it to you this way, we are 4-1 in those blue uniforms., so anything for a win. It doesn’t matter if it was purple, we’d be wearing the purple. Anyway, I think our players kind of like it. The fans, I understand, are not really happy with it, but just bear with us for this one game. Let’s make it 5-1 and we’ll all be happy.

On if there is any concern for Mark Sanchez’s health…

No, there are no concerns. When I talked to you guys on Monday, I was with him for four hours on Monday and he was fine. We all saw that he took some hits, so everything that we did was more precautionary. We’ll do that with any of our players because one thing we know about players, sometimes they are so competitive that sometimes you do want to make sure that everything is fine. I’m happy to report that he passed with flying colors.

On if there were any other signs from Sanchez that made him want to get the concussion tests done…

No, not to my knowledge, but I’ll always lean on the trainers and doctors and everything else. Like I said with you guys before, I spent the whole day with him and he was fine.

On how much of the focus this week in practice will be making sure he is not hit like that again…

Yes, that’s true. He got knocked down about 10 times last week, so clearly, you don’t want that to happen, unless you had Roman Gabriel back there or something, who weight like 280 [lbs.]. You’re exactly right. We need to do a better job of protecting him and we need to be able to run the ball better, so I think that kind of goes hand-in-hand.

On if he worries about an emotional letdown because the Jacksonville game may be viewed as being less significant than the Dallas game…

No, it’s interesting that you bring it up because it did have that feeling and I told you what I thought about that game. When you really look at the reality of the situation, that’s an NFC team and so that counts as a game. In my strange math, this one counts as a game and a quarter because it’s an AFC team. Your divisional games count as a game and a half. For whatever reason, it always seems like when the tiebreakers come out, that math usually works. Now, of course, I should have known better because you guys are going to go back and say, “Well, it never really worked these five years,” so I appreciate that [laughter]. I always think it did.

This one is huge and this one is easy because all you have to do is pop on the tape from two years ago when we played Jacksonville. We pride ourselves on being a physical football team and all that. They handed it to us. They imposed their will on us. They ran the ball better than we did. They were more physical than we were. They came up with three turnovers, so this one won’t be hard to get our team up for. We know what happened the last time we played them. They beat us at our place, so we’ll let the video do most of the talking.

On if he thinks it’s possible that the team could come out flat for Jacksonville…

The last game was a very emotional game. There is no question about that, but when you look at it, this one is a huge game for us. I love the fact that we’re playing at home to feed off the energy of our crowd, as well. I think that’s going to be huge for us. Like I said, when you see the tape and you get beat physically, the competitor in all of us would probably say, ‘Alright, let’s get back out there and let’s see what happens this time.’ Maurice Jones-Drew is a great back, so we better be ready to go or we’ll get embarrassed again.

On how different Sanchez is from two years ago when they played Jacksonville and he seemed to have prepared statements to the media after the game…

[Reading off a paper] He was a rookie back then. He’s much better now [joking]. You’re right, but we were all so bummed out at that time. We had just come off a bye and all of a sudden now we get beat. We were feeling good about ourselves going into the game. The very first pass of the game we throw an interception. But he’s a different quarterback now. There is no question about that. He’s learned our offense. He has that down pat. He’s doing a great job of studying and really becoming a professional. I think he’s a different quarterback now.

On having prepared statements for his news conference in 2009…

That’s going back. What’s that line in Casablanca? “I can’t remember yesterday”? At the time I was probably right there with him. We were both rookies at the job. I really never even thought about it though. It wasn’t something I would lecture the guy [about]. We always say be yourself. He doesn’t need a prepared statement to do interviews and I think he knows that now.

On his players telling each other not to tackle Jones-Drew…

Well, there you go. Ten of us knew to let him score. I’m not going to put Marques Douglas under the bus [joking]. You know I love Douglas, but he had the classic quote of all time. He told me, “Hey, he’d been breaking that tackle all day.” [i was] like, “Really, that’s what you came up with?” [laughing]. That’s what he said to me.

On if Sanchez has been getting rid of the ball quickly because of defensive pressure…

I think part of it is how you’re defending us. If a guy’s right up the line of scrimmage, in your face, sometimes you don’t get those free-access throws. Against Houston, they played off a little bit, we were able to get those quicker throws out. Now, you don’t get the bigger plays down the field, but it’s easier to hit those slant routes and stops and all that other kind of stuff.

On how Jacksonville will pressure the quarterback…

Each game gives you different problems that you’ve got to look out. This team, their defensive tackles are big, strong guys. They don’t have to do a whole lot of pressure things. They’re very solid up front. They’ve got a veteran core of linebackers, and they’re doing a good job. Each week’s different. I know Dallas relied on a lot of pressure. That’s really not Jack [Del Rio]’s style as much. He’ll pressure you, but he doesn’t pressure the run as much as Dallas did. Sometimes if you do pressure, I think Jacksonville maybe gave up 8.5 yards a pass last year, which was one of the worst in the league. It’s a little give and take there. The thing Jacksonville did was bring in six veteran defensive players, so they’re kind of a different look right now.

On relying on a fourth-quarter comeback to beat Dallas…

You’d love to have all of it to be easy, but in this league, it very rarely happens that way. A lot of it comes down to the fourth quarter. Teams are very evenly matched. Even the pay scales, the money is about the same. Everything’s about the same. It’s a level playing field. So, a lot of times those games come down to the fourth quarter and the really good teams find ways to win. We were fortunate.

The 240-whatever games in a row for Dallas without losing a game like that, 14-point lead, that was pretty remarkable on our guys’ part. I think it showed the team that we can win a game on offense, we can win one on defense, and we can win one on special teams. I take great confidence in that fact, because we did not play our best. We didn’t play our best, but how about giving credit to Dallas? That’s a good football team. They’re going to win a ton of games this year. The way their defense played, the way [Tony] Romo played up until the end there, Jerry Jones, I understand, said he played great, he looked like Roger Staubach back there, and then not so much late in the game. So, it was fine with me. We won.

On how much tape the team watched from the 2009 Jaguars game…

Not as much as we’re going to, because you’re trying to get your plan in. They’re going to have to watch that tape, because there’s a lot of good things. How much they’re going to vary from their plan, I think we’ll see a few more perimeter plays, more crack tosses. We struggled with that in the preseason, so I think we’ll see some of those things. We’ve got to watch that big tight end. They’ve got a great tight end. Here we are again, facing another really good tight end. We’re mindful of those things, as well.

On how much it will hurt Jacksonville if Marcedes Lewis cannot play…

I’ll be honest, he should probably lay this one out, because when you think about it, it’s a long season. I don’t think he needs to be playing this week. It’s not even a divisional game. [joking]

On if he knows why the Jets struggle to defend tight ends…

Some of it is what you’re playing coverage-wise. Sometimes they can get to when it’s man-on-man. Maybe there’s some protection on top, but there’s vulnerabilities in certain calls we made and [if] they called the right play at the right time, would they get a favorable matchup? There’s a lot of things that go into it. We’re not just playing a standard four-across secondary, which a lot of teams play.

On speaking to T Wayne Hunter this week to reassure him after a rough game against Dallas…

No, I’ll let you guys do that [joking]. No, I’m just kidding. It’s DeMarcus Ware. If you go one-on-one, there’s not too many guys that can handle him one-on-one. Brick [D’Brickashaw Ferguson] maybe, and that would be about it. The guy’s a special talent. Hindsight being 20/20, maybe we should’ve chipped him, or had another guy [block him], but in that particular play we didn’t. We’ve got a ton of confidence in Wayne. Wayne’s a great athlete. He did a great job against some of the best pass rushers in this league the last four games that he played for us. Going up against the kid from Pittsburgh, Woodley, and Harrison and Indianapolis, a lot of guys he’s done a lot of good things against.

On switching to the three-tight end set in the second half…

We are happy with the way it worked out. That’ll be, obviously, part of what we do offensively. We want to be multiple, give multiple formations and personnel groupings. We have our tight ends. Sometimes you can’t do that because your tight ends can’t play special teams. With the exception of [Dustin] Keller, you’ve got [Jeff] Cumberland, does a good job on teams. So does Mully [Matthew Mulligan]. So we’re allowed to bring that many tight ends to the game. It is a package that we’ve been working on a little bit.

On if Kenrick Ellis may be inactive this week…

That’ll certainly be a possibility. Not ready to make that [call] right now, to say that he’s definitely going to be out, but we’ll see how the week goes. The young man did a nice job today in practice and as far as Muhammad [Wilkerson]’s concerned, I thought he did play well.

Schwartz: Jets’ Mark Sanchez Is Feeling Fine

September 15, 2011 6:58 AM

schwartz_feature

Reporting Peter Schwartz

Filed under

Heard On 1010 WINS, WCBS, WFAN, Jets, Sports, Syndicated Sports, Watch + Listen, WFAN Blogs

By Peter Schwartz

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez was a full participant in practice on Wednesday as the team began their preparations for Sunday’s game against the Jaguars at MetLife Stadium.

Sanchez took a beating during the win over the Cowboys and underwent concussion tests following the game.

“I feel good,” said Sanchez after practice. “I felt like we just had a physical game (against Dallas) and the training staff just wanted to be extra cautious and make sure that I’m doing well, especially at the beginning of the season and make it through the long haul but I feel good.”

Linebacker David Harris wasn’t good enough to practice Wednesday because of a toe injury, but head coach Rex Ryan expects him to be good to go for Sunday.

The Jets will spend plenty of time this week looking at the film of their 2009 24-22 loss to the Jaguars at Giants Stadium. That was the day when Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew took a knee at the one yard line instead of scoring a touchdown. That set the stage for Josh Scobee to kick the game winning field goal.

Had MJD scored, the Jets would have had time to score the potential game-winning touchdown.

Aside from the end of the game, there was plenty to digest from other parts of that loss.

“We pride ourselves on being a physical football team, but they handed it to us,” recalled Ryan.

What else will the Jets see on that tape?

“Things that we didn’t do,” said nose tackle Sione Pouha. “Which is staying true and executing our game plan. That game is a true tale and an image of what we don’t want to be.”

The Jets should probably order some extra snacks for those film sessions. They could get lengthy.

MOURNING THE LOSS OF A JET

Former Jets guard and broadcaster Sam DeLuca passed away early Tuesday morning following a six-month battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 75 years old.

Born in Brooklyn, DeLuca played college football at South Carolina and was a second round pick of the Giants in 1957. Instead of signing with Big Blue, he chose to play in Canada before joining the Los Angeles Chargers in 1960. He won an AFL Title with the Chargers in 1963 before moving on to the Jets.

A pre-season knee injury in 1967 ended ended his career and began immediately turned to broadcasting for the Jets. He was in the booth with Merle Harmon when the Jets won Super Bowl III.

On Wednesday morning, I caught up with former Jets linebacker Larry Grantham, who was a teammate of DeLuca’s and was a member of the Jets Super Bowl III Championship team…

DeLuca would also do some broadcasting work for the Mets and NBC, and would eventually re-join the Jets radio booth, working with Spencer Ross and Charlie Steiner.

He is survived by his wife Diane and his son Sam.

THE JETS GO BACK TO THE FUTURE AGAIN

Schwartz: Jets Mark Sanchez Is Feeling Fine

After keeping their throwbacks tucked away in a closet last season, the Jets are going to wear their blue New York Titans jerseys against the Jaguars.

Amazingly, this is happening despite the objections of the FAN’s Joe Benigno, who is not a big fan of the throwbacks. However, numbers do not lie. The Jets were 4-1 wearing the Titans blue jerseys from 2007 to 2009.

“Anything for a win,” said Ryan. “Doesn’t matter if its purple because we’d be wearing the purple.”

Maybe someday the Jets will break out one of the variations of the green helmets and jerseys that they wore from 1978 to 1997.

COVER BOYS… AGAIN!

For the second time this season, a Jet will grace the cover of Sports Illustrated. Calvin Pace was on one of the regional covers of the SI NFL Preview, but this week, Mark Sanchez is on the national cover of Sports Illustrated following the Jets’ 27-24 win over the Cowboys.

Check out the SI cover here.

This is Sanchez’s third SI cover with the Jets and his fourth overall. He was also on a regional cover of the 2008 College Football Preview when he was at USC.

September 15, 2011, 6:31 am

Monitoring the Perils of Poor Scheduling in the N.F.L.

By GEORGE BRETHERTON

Los Angeles Raiders

By any measure, Oakland’s Hue Jackson got what he wanted in his debut as an N.F.L. head coach on Monday night. The Raiders went to Denver and won against a division opponent. They dominated the Broncos physically, and Denver fans were left calling for the backup quarterback Tim Tebow.

Now comes the hard part.

When the Raiders play their next game at 1 p.m. on Sunday in Buffalo, they will be on the negative side of the biggest discrepancy in recovery and preparation time for a game between two opponents, not including bye weeks, in the N.F.L. this season. The Bills defeated the Chiefs in Kansas City in a game that ended at just after 4 p.m. Eastern on Sunday. The Raiders’ game with Denver ended at at 1:46 a.m. Eastern on Tuesday. Essentially, the Bills will have a 34-hour head start for their game against Oakland.

To make matters worse, the Raiders will be forced to travel across the country to Buffalo on Friday, three days after they arrived home from their victory in Denver.

Every team has to deal with scheduling inconveniences. To Jackson’s credit, he has refused to use the schedule as an excuse (video above). But the league has a responsibility to make it fair. The Jets will be at the center of another scheduling challenge later this season.

After the Jets play New England at home on Sunday night, on Nov. 13., their next game will be at Denver on national television on Thursday, Nov. 17. The Broncos will play a 1 p.m. game in Kansas City on Nov. 13.

We will monitor the results of games this season when there are significant discrepancies in recovery and preparation time between opponents. For now, keep an eye on Oakland’s performance at Buffalo this Sunday.

Inside the numbers

September, 15, 2011

Sep 15

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

A "Next Level" statistical analysis, courtesy of ESPN Stats and Information:

MARK SANCHEZ: PASSING 10 YARDS OR FEWER

18-for-27 ... 66.7% ... 166 yards ... 1 TD ... 0 INT ... 95.6 rating

Analysis: In terms of accuracy, a significant improvement from last year.

SANCHEZ: PASSING 11 to 20 YARDS

6-for-13 ... 46.2% ... 117 yards ... 0 TD ... 1 INT ... 46.0 rating

Analysis: Interception by Sean Lee ruined his rating.

SANCHEZ: PASSING OUTSIDE THE POCKET

3-for-5 ... 60% ... 40 yards ... 1 TD ... 0 INT ... 125.0 rating

Analysis: Confirms that Sanchez is better when on the move.

SANCHEZ: PLAY-ACTION PASSING

5-for-6 ... 83.3% ... 98 yards ... 1 TD ... 0 INT ... 158.3 rating

Analysis: A perfect rating.

LaDAINIAN TOMLINSON: YARDS AFTER CATCH

6 catches ... 64 yards ... 10.7 average

Analysis: LT's YAC ranks sixth in the league. Wes Welker is first. No surprise.

PASS DEFENSE: 4 OR FEWER RUSHERS

16-for-24 ... 66.7% ... 260 yards ... 2 TDs ... 1 INT ... 113.2 passer rating

Analysis: Generated three sacks, but these numbers won't dispel notion that Jets' conventional rush is subpar.

PASS DEFENSE: 5+ RUSHERS

7-for-12 ... 58.3% ... 82 yards ... 0 TD ... 0 INT ... 79.2 rating

Analysis: Jets sent extra pressure only 33% of the time, way down from last season.

PASS DEFENSE: 1+ DB RUSH

5-for-12 ... 41.7% ... 74 yards ... 0 TD ... 1 INT ... 27.8 rating

Analysis: Jets love to send their DBs -- and it works.

Jets, fans could use a blowout

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 6:54 AM, September 15, 2011

Posted: 4:32 AM, September 15, 2011

Across the NFL, all around those noisy precincts where such things are debated and discussed in earnest, people keep waiting for the Jets to apologize for what happened to them — and for them — Sunday night at MetLife Stadium, to sheepishly acknowledge the gift Tony Romo and the Cowboys messengered them in Week 1.

Elite teams don’t rely on the kindness of strangers, they insist. Championship teams don’t wander in a funk for 31⁄2 quarters, they contend. Teams with pedigree take care of their business across all 60 minutes, don’t wait for the last seven or eight to wake up and make plays, they assert.

Mostly, that’s true. Mostly, yes: good teams seize games early — especially home games — and they inflict their will late, and in between they outclass and outperform lesser teams.

“A blowout? Without question, we’d prefer one of those over anything. We’re sick of these close games,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “Obviously, we love that we’re able to pull them out in the end but it would be a lot less stressful and a lot easier on a lot of guys if we could just play a full game, a complete game.”

The Jets? At their best the past two years they have been expert escape artists — eking past Detroit here, squeaking past Cleveland there, creaking past the Texans that time, deking past the Cowboys this time.

Sure: It would be nice to keep the Houdini tricks to a minimum. But the ’07 Giants turned their season around by using mirrors to come back from 14-0 down in Week 3 against the Redskins. The ’86 Giants announced themselves as legitimate contenders in Week 11 when Phil Simms found Bobby Johnson on fourth-and-17 late in the Minnesota game.

The ’72 Dolphins, the ’85 Bears, the ’84 49ers: Every one of them stole a game or two along the way. And did so without apology.

But all of them also had their share of wow games, too. And while the great escapes may help measure a team’s character, may allow them a modicum of confidence in January if they spot someone a lead in a playoff game, championship teams are propelled by these wow games. Ignited by them. And often defined by them.

The Jets?

They could use a wow game this week.

They could use the occasion of the Jaguars’ visit and prove they can shut down an elite rusher, like Maurice Jones-Drew. They could prove that their defense is capable of reducing a game-manager quarterback like Luke McNown to a quivering mess. It would be nice to see the offensive line open holes for Shonn Greene, and would be especially nice to see Mark Sanchez keep the ball safe during the game, and hear him speak in compete sentences after.

Winning a wow game will count the same as winning an escape game, and it won’t mean anything more than a 2-0 start to the season with a rugged three-week stretch of at Oakland/at Baltimore/at New England staring them in the face, and there still will be plenty of question marks strangling the team and its aspirations simply because the Jets remain a wonderfully flawed work-in-progress.

But the Jets are better than the Jaguars. They are deeper. With the exception of Jones-Drew, they have more talent at every key position. They started the week as 10-point favorites, and if Vegas has shaved a point or two off that number, it still reflects two teams in very different football places.

Sunday should ratify that.

“As great as things went for us last Sunday,” Sanchez said yesterday, “we can’t lose sight of the fact that we need to start playing a lot better. We need to start faster. And we need to play a more complete football game. It’s great to do what we did against the Cowboys. But you can’t make a habit of that.”

Last year, the Jets started making a habit of it, and on muscle memory alone it almost helped them come back from a helpless hole against the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game. Everyone loves a gritty, gutty band of battlers. There is a place in the game, and in ambitious seasons, for that.

But there’s a time to be impressive, too. There’s a time to deliver a message, the kind the Bears and Packers and Ravens sent in Week 1,

the kind the Patriots shouted into a bullhorn on Monday night. There’s a time to see if you’re capable of a wow game.

And this seems as good a time as any to find that out about the Jets.

michael.vaccaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_fans_could_use_blowout_Hysn2sSVhU4yBW097p62gI#ixzz1Y1cXVOF8

Sam DeLuca, Jets OL and teammate of Joe Namath turned broadcaster, dead of cancer at age 75

BY Bill Madden

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, September 14th 2011, 9:57 AM

San DeLuca, dead at 78, was an offensive guard for the Jets from 1964-66

Brooklyn-born Sam DeLuca, a Lafayette High School football prodigy who went on to success as an offensive lineman in the NFL and captain of the Jets in the mid-60s, then parlayed that into a successful sports broadcasting career as well as a business entrepreneur, owning and operating the first McDonald's franchises in the Bronx, died Tuesday at his home in Westchester after a long battle with cancer. He was 75.

A starting offensive guard for the Jets from 1964-66, the 6-2, 245-pound DeLuca was one of Joe Namath's first protective linemen in the fledgling American Football League and was named second-team all-AFL by the Associated Press in 1966.

However, a severe knee injury he suffered in a 1967 preseason game effectively ended DeLuca's career. But as he later told Scott Benjamin of Musicradio77.com, as much as he was disappointed to have missed out on Namath and the Jets' 1969 Super Bowl III victory over the Baltimore Colts: "I was 31 years old and (it was) time to move on to something else."

That something else was broadcasting.

After retiring, he was able to land a job as the Jets' radio color commentator alongside longtime veteran play-by-play man Merle Harmon. In addition, he was hired as a commentator on the Mets' pregame and postgame shows on WABC-FM in 1968-69. In 1972, DeLuca was hired to do color commentary on the regional NFL broadcasts on NBC with Charlie Jones.

At the same time, on the advice of Baltimore Colts NFL Hall of Famer Buddy Young, who was involved in a job procurement position with the NFL, DeLuca established the first three McDonald's franchises in the Bronx and still owned one of them at the time of his death. In 1985 he also opened up six self-storage facilities in the New York area.

It was the classic story of local boy makes good.

Born in Brooklyn in 1936, DeLuca was a member of Lafayette's 1952 city championship team. Among his Lafayette classmates were Sandy Koufax and Fred Wilpon.

From Lafayette he went to the University of South Carolina where he was a third-team All-American guard and, in 1957, was a second-round draft choice of the Giants. He was originally slated to replace Giants All-Pro guard Bill Austin, who had retired, but when Austin decided to come back for another year, the Giants sent DeLuca to the Canadian Football League for seasoning. He remained there until the AFL was founded in 1960 when he signed on with the Los Angeles (later San Diego) Chargers. He was a starter on the Chargers' 1963 AFL championship team, before being traded to the Jets.

DeLuca is survived by his wife, Diane, two sons and two daughters.

A wake will be held at the McGrath Funeral Home in Bronxville tomorrow and Friday from 6-9 p.m. with the funeral at 9:45 a.m. Saturday at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Pelham.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/14/2011-09-14_exjet__broadcasting_great_deluca_dies_at_75.html#ixzz1Y1d36PKJ

Rex Ryan, Jets defense, need to be ready for Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew, who is feeling healthy

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, September 15th 2011, 4:00 AM

Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew (l.) says his surgically repaired knee feels like new.

Phelan M. Ebenhack/AP

Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew (l.) says his surgically repaired knee feels like new.

Jacksonville Jaguars tailback Maurice Jones-Drew underwent surgery on his right knee in January and sat the fourth quarter of last week's win over the Tennessee Titans due to a play count put on him by coach Jack Del Rio. Still, Jones-Drew maintains that he feels brand new.

"It feels like a fresh-out-of-the-womb knee," Jones-Drew said.

He rushed 24 times for 97 yards and one touchdown in the 16-14 victory last Sunday, but teammate Deji Karim got most of the carries in the fourth quarter and finished with 33 yards on 14 rushes. Jones-Drew expressed frustration regarding the decision, but later apologized to Del Rio.

"He's really done a remarkable job to get himself in the condition to be our bell cow and carry the load for us," said Del Rio, who declined to say whether Jones-Drew will have a play count against the Jets.

Jones-Drew played 14 games with a torn meniscus in his right knee last season. He missed the final two games after the pain became too much to play through.

"Coaches are doing what's best for the team," Jones-Drew said.

HARRIS SET TO GO

LB David Harris (toe) did not practice. He stretched on the sideline with members of the team's training staff. Rex Ryan expects him to play Sunday. ... The Jets signed safety Andrew Sendejo to the practice squad, one day after waiving him from the active roster.

FIGHTING WORDS

Former Jets wideout Braylon Edwards filed a slander lawsuit against a restaurant outside Detroit that claimed he was directly involved in an altercation in early August.

"The events of that evening in question, including the false and malicious allegations directed toward Braylon, have damaged his reputation and earnings potential," Edwards' agent, David Russell, said in a statement to The Associated Press.

The civil suit says that Edwards lost value in the free agent market because of the accusations. He signed a $3.5million, one-year deal with the 49ers shortly after the incident. He is guaranteed $1 million.

STUNNING NEWS

The manufacturers of Taser stun guns revealed that the incident in which a man used a stun gun on three people during Sunday's Jets-Cowboys game did not involve a Taser brand device.

Cowboy fan LeRoy McKelvey was charged with possession of a stun gun and illegal possession of a weapon when he got into a dispute with Jets fans.

Police and stadium authorities and media reports incorrectly referred to the gun as a Taser.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/15/2011-09-15_jags_jonesdrew_out_to_play_with_no_limits.html#ixzz1Y1dRnxau

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez looking more and more comfortable in role of Gang Green's leader

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, September 15th 2011, 4:00 AM

Mark Sanchez is showing signs of becoming the Jets true leader even after just one game.

Ron Antonelli/News

Mark Sanchez is showing signs of becoming the Jets true leader even after just one game.

Mark Sanchez's California cool belies a toughness that some bigger, stronger quarterbacks don't even possess. For all the cracks about his recent GQ cover, for all the reasons to think that an L.A. guy can't thrive 3,000 miles away from home, the Jets quarterback has proven pretty durable.

"You wouldn't think that a GQ cover guy would be as tough as he is," Plaxico Burress said Wednesday. "But he's a tough guy. He'll battle through. It's not like he's sitting in the chair doing makeup."

Sanchez was sacked four times and knocked down six more by Rob Ryan's relentless Cowboys' defense on Sunday night. Rex Ryan admitted that his franchise signal-caller underwent precautionary concussion tests and "passed with flying colors."

"We all saw that he took some hits," said Rex Ryan, who left no doubt that Sanchez will be fine when the Jets host the Jaguars on Sunday.

Sanchez withstood the body blows to help the Jets rally for the season-opening win, the latest sign that he's grown from his maddeningly inconsistent and turnover-prone rookie season. He admitted Wednesday that the most embarrassing moment of his first season came to mind while reviewing film from the Jets' last game against the Jaguars in November of 2009.

Sanchez, moments after a two-interception performance (including a pick on his first pass of the game) in a 24-22 loss to Jacksonville, delivered an awkwardly prepared statement reviewing some of the highs and lows from the game.

"It was stupid," Sanchez said Wednesday with a smile. "You're frustrated and you're losing games. I felt like I was playing poorly and I was the reason for most of our losses. That was a tough spot to be in. You'd think I'd be ready to handle it. At that moment, you feel like, 'Man, I need an answer for all this stuff. So, here's what it is.' That was just stupid. Just a dumb, dumb rookie mistake. So that won't happen again."

Sanchez has certainly come a long way from that forgettable moment.

"He's a different quarterback now," Ryan said. "There's no question. He's learned our offense. He's got that down pat. He's doing a great job of studying and really becoming a professional.... He doesn't need a prepared statement to do interviews, and I think he knows that now."

He's also learning to be pro-active with his playmakers. After Burress and Derrick Mason had no catches in the first half last Sunday, Sanchez told them he hadn't forgotten them.

"I made it a point to tell both of them, 'Hang with me, man.' Don't worry. Trust me, I will throw you the ball. It'll happen," said Sanchez, who completed four passes to Burress and three to Mason in the second half.

"Playing quarterback in the NFL is the hardest job in sports," Burress said. "You have to be mentally sharp every day. It's a role that you grow into over time. I think Mark understands that. We're going to go as he goes. He's getting better every day. We're working tirelessly to get on the same page. He's coming along."

Sanchez's performance last week also proved that there's plenty of room for growth. He admitted that he held on to the ball too long on two of the four sacks. He also checked out of a few run calls that resulted in passes with little or no gain.

His next step will be helping the Jets get off to faster starts. Gang Green's offense hasn't scored a first-quarter touchdown in 16 consecutive games, including the playoffs. Sanchez's last first-quarter score came last season at Buffalo in Week 4 (Oct. 3). The Jets' offense scored only two first-quarter touchdowns all last season.

Sanchez, who was 5-for-5 in the first quarter on Sunday, says he's happy with the play-calling early in games, but realizes that something is amiss. Gang Green gained only nine yards on five first-down plays in the first quarter against the Cowboys.

"Nobody thinks we're going to come out and go three-and-out," Sanchez said. "We've been a slow-starting team for 16 games... Something's got to change."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/15/2011-09-15_mark_of_improvement.html#ixzz1Y1dkqRAG

Jets QB better prepared for Jaguars

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:46 AM, September 15, 2011

More Print

As the Jets watched the film yesterday of their game with the Jaguars from two years ago, quarterback Mark Sanchez thought back to the mistake he made that day. No, not either of the two interceptions he threw, but his embarrassing postgame performance.

It was after that 24-22 loss to Jacksonville on Nov. 15, 2009 that Sanchez came to the podium with prepared remarks for his press conference.

“It was just stupid,” Sanchez said yesterday. “You’re frustrated. You’re losing games. . . . I felt like I was playing poorly and I was the reason for most of our losses. That’s a tough spot to be in. . . . It was just stupid. Dumb, dumb rookie mistake.”

Anthony J. Causi

Mark Sanchez

Nearly two years later, Sanchez is a different quarterback than the rookie who threw an interception on the first play of that brutal loss. He showed poise in Sunday’s 27-24, Week 1 win over the Cowboys, throwing for 335 yards and two touchdowns.

Sanchez also took some abuse in the game, getting sacked four times and hit several others. That led to a concussion test after the game, but Sanchez was deemed OK. The amount of punishment he took did not go unnoticed by his teammates.

“You wouldn’t think a GQ cover

guy would be as tough as he is, but he’s a tough guy and he’ll battle through,” wide receiver Plaxico Burress said. “It’s not like he’s sitting there getting makeup.”

The 24-year-old had some bad moments against the Cowboys, throwing an interception to end the third quarter that led to a Dallas touchdown, and fumbling in the fourth quarter.

“Those little slip-ups can’t happen and that can beat us,” Sanchez said. “I’m lucky and the offense is lucky that the special teams played so well and our defense came back and got a big interception at the end.”

Sanchez tied his career high by throwing 44 passes. The Jets surely will try to have more balance on offense this week against the Jaguars, but Jacksonville held the Titans to 43 yards rushing in Week 1 so it won’t be easy.

It might help if the Jets get off to a quicker start. They have not scored a first quarter touchdown over their last 16 games and that includes the playoffs. The Jets have made a living off winning games in the fourth quarter. But they know correcting their first quarters might help avoid the need for those dramatic comebacks.

“We need to be sharper on offense,” Sanchez said. “I can’t be the reason we turn the ball over two times. We need to start faster. Whether it’s no-huddle or whatever, we need to start faster and sustain a couple more drives, be better in the red zone. That stuff can’t get lost in ‘oh, hey we won, we’re all smiling,’ and it doesn’t.”

Sanchez and Burress failed to connect early in their first official game together, but Sanchez told Burress to stick with him and he hit the receiver with a few big passes in the second half.

“We’re gonna go as he goes,” Burress said of Sanchez. “He’s getting better every day. We’re working tirelessly to get on the same page and when we get on Sundays we’re gonna try and make it be easy. It’s a process. He’s coming along.”

One thing Sanchez promises you won’t see Sunday, win or lose, is a script when he talks to reporters.

“That won’t happen again,” he said.

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/wiser_sanchez_will_speak_off_the_h7Od2hwtoduMbUYj4CCguI#ixzz1Y1e6A8Vm

Cautious Jaguars may put brakes on Jones-Drew

Jets Blog

By HOWIE KUSSOY

Last Updated: 7:09 AM, September 15, 2011

The Jets have not been able to slow down Maurice Jones-Drew in two meetings, but they might get some help from Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio on Sunday.

The superstar running back, who dealt with a torn meniscus in his right knee all last season, has been put on a play count to reduce the risk of injury.

Jones-Drew, who was limited in training camp and did not see game action until the preseason finale, had 97 yards and a touchdown on 24 carries in Jacksonville’s 16-14, season-opening win over the Titans, but was upset with the restrictions, as backup Deji Karim ran for 33 yards on 14 carries.

Del Rio would not say what limits would be placed on Jones-Drew in Week 2, but the two-time Pro Bowl running back has cooled off in the past few days, letting logic outweigh his emotions. Any precautions are no longer a worry, he said, same as his knee.

“It actually feels like when I was eight years old, or maybe when I was born, fresh out of the womb knee,” Jones-Drew said during a conference call yesterday. “When you’re in the middle of the game, tempers flare, emotions are flying. The coaches are doing what’s best for the team. I can’t argue with that at all.”

After scoring two touchdowns against the Jets as a rookie in 2006, Jones-Drew shredded coach Rex Ryan’s defense two seasons ago, running for 123 yards and a touchdown in a 24-22 win in East Rutherford.

“We pride ourselves on being a physical football team and all that, [but] they handed it to us,” Ryan said. “They imposed their will on us. They ran the ball better than we did.”

With the Jets out of timeouts, Jones-Drew could have added another score that day had he not stopped at the 1-yard line late in the fourth quarter to keep the clock running and set up an easy game-winning field goal. Since taking over as the lead back in 2009, the 26-year-old — described by Plaxico Burress as, “one of the top three running backs in football” — is second in the NFL in rushing (2,812) and third in touchdowns (24).

“I think he’s the fastest read on-the-go guy,” Jets defensive tackle Sione Pouha told The Post. “He sees an opening, he’ll hit his gap and he’s already five openings ahead of you. I think that’s what makes him so shifty and nifty is because he’s two or three cuts ahead of you. I think that’s what makes him so great.”

Linebacker Jamaal Westerman discussed the difficulty

in bringing the 5-foot-7 pinball down to the ground.

“You

never assume that he’s down,” Westerman said. “With him, you really want to be fundamentally sound with tackling. We really want to make that an emphasis this week to get after him, swarm to the ball.”

—Additional reporting by Brian Lewis

howard.kussoy@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/cautious_jaguars_may_put_brakes_lPxyUsfafMSpICrqNy1g6I#ixzz1Y1eNRhmA

Patience paid off for Jets' Burress in opener

Jets Blog

By BRIAN LEWIS

Last Updated: 8:28 AM, September 15, 2011

Posted: 3:17 AM, September 15, 2011

More Print

Plaxico Burress was shut out for most of Sunday's game vs. Dallas, but the Jets wide receiver was reassured by both quarterback Mark Sanchez and fellow wide receiver Derrick Mason that he'd get his chances. Burress stayed focused.

After waiting almost three years to play in another NFL game, waiting nearly three quarters for his first catch wasn't so bad.

Burress never let frustration creep in, and when he finally broke through over the game's final 16 minutes, it was worth the wait: Four catches for 72 yards and a touchdown. He gave his young son, Elijah, the ball he caught for the touchdown.

"There's no reason to get bent out of shape if you haven't been thrown the ball in the first or second quarter,'' said Burress, who practiced yesterday despite a sore ankle. "(Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer) and Mark are trying to do the best job possible. We have a lot of playmakers; everyone's going to get touches.''

Burress hadn't played since 2008, having spent 20 months behind bars on a weapons charge. Sunday's return to the field was emotionally charged for him, and Sanchez came over to reassure both Burress and Mason.

"They're gamers, they're competitive,'' said Sanchez. "I made a point to just go over and tell them both 'Hang with me and I'll get you the rock. Don't worry; just keep running the routes, stay sharp. Trust me: I'll throw you the ball.'''

Turns out Sanchez's words weren't needed.

"I just said, 'Hey, just relax. Everything is going to be OK.' He was probably a little shocked at me saying that,'' said Burress, whose first big play came with his Jets down 24-10 in the fourth quarter, and he never even touched the ball.

On 2nd-and-11 from the Jets' 15, Burress de-cleated -- and injured -- Dallas cornerback Mike Jenkins with a block to spring Santonio Holmes for a 28-yard gain. Then, a play after failing to come back for a Sanchez pass and seeing it batted away for an incompletion, Burress snared a 26-yard touchdown to help spark the comeback.

"I was just staying patient. I've been in games like that; you just keep working. It'll come and, as you can see, it did,'' said Burress. "We'll just keep fighting, keep working for the quarterback and pretty soon he'll find us.''

The same could be said for Burress finding his timing. Rex Ryan said he expects Burress to be fine Sunday vs. Jacksonville, and he'll be needed against a stout run defense that held Titans star Chris Johnson to 24 yards in Week 1.

"You want to win all your home games,'' said Burress. "This game is critical for us to get.''

brian.lewis@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/keeping_the_faith_burress_patience_J9TyNZdIy3Va5rxXALz9SN#ixzz1Y1eiZ7Qi

Sanchez vows Jets won't suffer letdown

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:47 AM, September 15, 2011

More Print

Coming off a last-minute, emotional season-opening win on the 10th anniversary of 9/11, the Jets would appear to be prime candidates for a letdown. But they vow that Sunday's game with the Jaguars has plenty of meaning.

"This is a must win," quarterback Mark Sanchez said.

He pointed to the fact that this is their first game against an AFC opponent and is coming at MetLife Stadium. Winning their home games is a point of emphasis for the Jets.

"We're putting a real big emphasis on playing at home and protecting our home stadium," Sanchez said. "We can't lose at home. We can't.

"We want to get a home playoff game and there's no point in getting a home playoff game if we keep dropping games at home. It doesn't work. This has to be huge for us.

"We say it every week -- must win. But this is a big one."

Jets coach Rex Ryan said he will show his team its 2009 loss to the Jaguars plenty of times this week to drive home the point that it can't come out flat.

"The last game was a very emotional game," Ryan said. "But when you look at it, this one is a huge game for us."

Inside linebacker David Harris did not practice yesterday because of a toe injury. Harris, who was not in uniform, stood to the side and did some stretching and agility drills while the team practiced.

Ryan said he expects Harris to play Sunday.

Jaguars tight end Marcedes Lewis did not practice yesterday because of a calf strain. He told reporters in Jacksonville that he will test the leg Friday to determine if he can play.

Tight ends consistently give the Jets defense problems, so Lewis' absence could be huge for the Jets.

"He should probably lay this one out,'' Ryan joked. "It's a long season. I don't think he needs to be playing this week. It's not even a divisional game."

TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz was at practice yesterday. Last year, several Jets made inappropriate comments toward Sainz and that sparked a controversy. Bruce Speight, the team's senior director of media relations, stood next to her during practice. . . . Versus will debut its new NFL show "Turning Point'' tonight at 10, and Jets CB Darrelle Revis is featured. Revis wore a microphone during the game Sunday. . . . The Jets will wear their Titans throwback uniforms. Ryan pointed out they are 4-1 wearing the blue uniforms.

WR Patrick Turner was elevated from the practice squad to the active roster. TE Josh Baker was signed to the practice squad. S Andrew Sendejo was signed to the practice squad a day after being released.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/sanchez_no_letdown_vs_jags_Hiq0PqmcNAGmis8FiEuKCJ#ixzz1Y1euakIf

Secondary concern: Jets' pass defense has a lot of room for improvement

Thursday, September 15, 2011

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Pages: 1 2 > display on one page | Print | E-mail

FLORHAM PARK – The Jets faced one of the more explosive passing attacks in the NFL when they opened against Dallas on Sunday, so it would have been easy to chalk up a less-than-stellar defensive effort to the fact that "those guys on the other team get paid, too," to borrow a phrase from former coach Eric Mangini.

But that’s not how the Jets are looking at it as they move past the flawed win over the Cowboys and prepare to host Jacksonville on Sunday at MetLife Stadium.

They’re looking squarely in the mirror for the cause, and for the cure.

"Most of the times when we allow [big] yardage," safety Brodney Pool said Wednesday, "it’s something that we have done wrong.

"Occasionally a team might have a good catch or a good run, like a player making plays, [but] the positions the coaches put us in the majority of the time, those are good calls."

Even with the 16 yards lost on four Jets’ sacks, Dallas netted 326 yards through the air.

"It’s just some things that we did," cornerback Antonio Cromartie said, "not what they did. We’ve just got to eliminate some of the things we did during that game.

"There’s things that we need to clean up that we could have done a whole lot better."

The two biggest gainers for the Cowboys were a 64-yard reception by tight end Jason Witten and 42-yard reception on a slant by Dez Bryant, highlighting two things that have been weaknesses of the Jets’ defense for much of the Rex Ryan era.

The Jets have trouble covering tight ends and defending the passing game over the middle, and of course, those two shortcomings often are one and the same.

"Some of it is what you’re playing coverage-wise," coach Ryan said when asked to explain the vulnerability to tight ends. "Sometimes they can get to when it’s man-on-man. … There’s a lot of things that go into it.

"We’re not just playing a standard four-across secondary, which a lot of teams play."

Pool agreed.

"Everything is pretty much a different thing on different plays," he said, meaning there isn’t a common mistake on big plays the Jets have given up. "You can tell when we’re playing things right. When we give up a play here and there, it’s because somebody’s not doing something the way it’s supposed to be" done.

"It’s hard to be perfect," Pool added, "but we want to be as close to that as we can."

They’ll get another chance against an offense that certainly looks less potent on paper.

Instead of facing the talented but erratic Tony Romo as they did Sunday, the Jets will go against journeyman Luke McCown, who inherited the starting quarterback job when the Jaguars released David Garrard five days before the season opener.

McCown had 24 pass attempts in the Jaguars’ opening-day win over Tennessee, one more than he totaled in the three previous seasons combined.

He does have an excellent tight end in Marcedes Lewis, but Lewis exited that game with a calf injury and sat out practice Wednesday.

Lewis’ status for Sunday is unknown.

Jets notes: Jones-Drew ready

Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Record

Print | E-mail

Jones-Drew ready

Jacksonville running back Maurice Jones-Drew had 97 rushing yards and one touchdown on 24 carries against Tennessee on opening day but would have liked even more work. Coach Jack Del Rio held him out for much of the fourth quarter because he has Jones-Drew on a "play count." The sixth-year pro played 14 games with a torn meniscus in his right knee last season before sitting out the last two games and then undergoing surgery after the season.

Jones-Drew complained to his coach Sunday but said on a conference call Wednesday that he understood Del Rio’s reasoning.

"When you’re in the middle of the game," Jones-Drew said, "tempers flare, emotions are flying. That’s what it was. … Actually, I sat down with coach Del Rio [later] and told him I apologized about some of the things, how I acted, and he understood it was part of the game."

Jones-Drew had 123 yards on 24 carries against the Jets in 2009, and took a knee at the 1-yard line after a 9-yard run with the Jaguars trailing by one inside the two-minute mark, setting up a last-play field goal. By not scoring a touchdown, Jacksonville was able to run out the clock on the Jets. Del Rio and the coaching staff had advised him to do it.

"My teammates were pretty [ticked] off," he recalled, "but I told them it was for the right reasons and then coach Del Rio kind of explained it after."

He said fantasy football players "hated" the move but added with a laugh, "fantasy [football] is a fun thing, it’s a hobby for me. It doesn’t pay the bills. So I have to take care of what pays the bills, you know?"

Briefs

Jets LB David Harris (toe) didn’t practice, but coach Rex Ryan said he expects him to play Sunday. … The Jets continued to reshape the bottom of the roster, re-signing WR Patrick Turner from the practice squad. They also signed TE Josh Baker and S Andrew Sendejo to the practice squad. Sendejo had been waived from the active roster Tuesday.

— J.P. Pelzman

Sullivan: Sanchez shows his grit, keeps his guys in the mix

Thursday, September 15, 2011 Last updated: Thursday September 15, 2011, 1:03 AM

By TARA SULLIVAN

RECORD COLUMNIST

FLORHAM PARK – Mark Sanchez didn’t have a script in his hand, but he did have an important message on his mind. As Sunday night’s game against the Cowboys inched closer to its finish line, Sanchez sought out his two newest teammates. With one part confession and one part promise, the quarterback turned a quick conversation with Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason into a referendum on his growing leadership profile.

Mark Sanchez, above, let WRs Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason know they would be getting the ball Sunday.

TYSON TRISH/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

Mark Sanchez, above, let WRs Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason know they would be getting the ball Sunday.

By recognizing their potential frustration at not getting onto the stat sheet, by pledging to make sure that changed before time on the season opener expired, Sanchez delivered the kind of verbal impact he could only dream of two years ago.

“Hang with me,” Sanchez told them. “I’ll get you the rock. Don’t worry. Just keep running the routes. Stay sharp. Trust me, I will throw you the ball. It will happen.”

Sanchez has grown so far from the rookie who stood behind a postgame lectern reading his own scripted scrawlings two years ago, a futile attempt to explain away a horrid Jets loss to a Jacksonville team that embarrassed the defense and harassed the quarterback. As the Jaguars make their way to the Meadowlands on Sunday, they will not be meeting the same sorry rookie melting under the spotlight’s heat, the California kid who’d lost his cool.

“I was just stupid,” Sanchez said of the scattered monologue that ended with this admonition to reporters: “If there’s any more questions – I don’t know how there could be – but go ahead.”

Looking back, Sanchez tried to get back in his own rookie head.

“You’re frustrated and you’re losing games. We lost before the bye week, we lost right after the bye week and we were getting our butts kicked all over the field,” he said Wednesday. “And I felt like I was playing poorly and I was the reason for most of our losses. That’s a tough spot to be in and I would think I would be ready to handle it. At that moment you feel like, ‘Man, I need an answer for all that stuff, and here’s what it is.’”

“And that was just stupid and a dumb, dumb rookie mistake. Won’t happen again.”

Give Sanchez credit for admitting as much. But more than emit a simple sound bite, the growing introspection is an indication of growing wisdom, a vital complement to his growing ability. Sanchez no longer is just reacting to pivotal situations thinking he can fix them with silly scribbles. He’s stepping out in front of potential problems and warding them off.

Like addressing his veterans before they came to him.

“When your quarterback says something like that, that says he understands what’s going on,” said Mason, who had seen Sanchez already connect with Santonio Holmes, Dustin Keller and LaDanian Tomlinson — in other words, nearly everybody but the No. 2 and 3 receivers. “He understands, he was aware of it. It’s not like he just totally forgot about us. When your quarterback makes the guys understand, that’s important.”

High praise from a veteran such as Mason. He and Burress did ultimately cash in on Sanchez’s invitation to join the offensive party, with Burress including a touchdown among his four receptions and Mason jumping on board with three catches of his own. Sanchez not only delivered on his promise for the night, but on the one he has been making since training camp to keep his many offensive targets happy.

Both Mason and Burress were free agents who had a buffet of options and, yes, both were swayed largely by the oversized enthusiasm and personality of coach Rex Ryan. But they had to believe in Sanchez, too, confident he would be able to spread the ball. One game into the fire that only the regular season can deliver, they’re beginning to believe they were right.

“I said, ‘Hey, relax. Relax, everything is going to be OK,’” is how Burress reacted to Sanchez’s late-game promise. “And he was probably a little shocked with me saying that, but I was out there and I saw some of the blitzes they were doing. When it came time to get guys involved we did.”

The aftermath of Sunday’s dramatic comeback victory had more to do with special-teams heroics than with anything Sanchez and Co. did on offense, and the growing QB still looked like a disappointed child on Christmas because he didn’t play well. Sanchez was dazed enough for the Jets to order next-day testing for a concussion, which was ruled out. In fact, Sanchez insisted Wednesday he was no worse for wear following four sacks and at least 10 knockdowns courtesy of Rob Ryan’s Dallas defense.

“I popped up Monday and I was feeling good,” he said.

That, too, impressed his newest teammates.

“He has a lot of poise. He has a lot of guts. A lot of quarterbacks that get hit a few times go into a shell, they get scared. He keeps fighting,” Mason said. “He’s a tough son of a gun.”

The California kid with the scripted excuses still mixes up his public image – a recent magazine spread replete with white pants and cold tubs left him open to plenty of ribbing.

“You wouldn’t think a GQ cover guy would be as tough as he is,” Burress said with a laugh.

But the image that matters most is the one of Sanchez getting up after being knocked down.

“He’s a tough guy, he’ll battle through. It’s not like he’s sitting in the chair getting makeup, he’s a tough guy,” Burress said.

No makeup, no script.

No problem.

E-mail: sullivan@northjersey.com

Can Jets’ O-Line Keep Sanchez On His Feet? Super Bowl Hopes Could Depend On It

September 15, 2011 9:11 AM

NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) — Mark Sanchez got shoved, knocked around and slammed to the turf by the Dallas Cowboys, and has the bumps and bruises to prove it.

He’s got a few precautionary concussion test results, too.

It was one of those brutally physical nights for the Jets quarterback. And it was only the first game.

“I feel good,” Sanchez said Wednesday. “Felt like we just had a physical game and the training staff just wanted to be extra cautious and make sure I’m doing well, especially at the beginning of the season so I can make it through the long haul.”

MORE:Schwartz: Sanchez Feeling Fine

The Jets’ season and their Super Bowl hopes could depend on that. They need their franchise quarterback healthy, and know they need to do a better job of protecting Sanchez. He was sacked four times by the Cowboys on Sunday night, and hit almost a dozen times in a 27-24 victory.

He appeared weary after the game, and underwent tests Sunday and Monday to make sure he was OK.

“We all saw that he took some hits, so everything that we did was more precautionary,” coach Rex Ryan said. “I’m happy to report that he passed with flying colors.”

Sanchez said he woke up Monday feeling fine and spent the day resting, getting a massage and sitting in the cold tub to help him recover.

The fact Sanchez was able to withstand the pounding and still help lead the Jets to a victory impressed his teammates. Even the ones who razzed him a bit for his recent GQ magazine photo spread, which featured shots of Sanchez wearing tight white pants in one and sitting in a tub in another.

“You wouldn’t think a GQ cover guy would be as tough as he is, but he’s a tough guy,” wide receiver Plaxico Burress said. “He’ll battle through. It’s not like he’s sitting in the chair getting makeup brushed on anything. He’s a tough guy.”

Right tackle Wayne Hunter, who replaced the retired Damien Woody, had a long night trying to block DeMarcus Ware, who had two sacks. But Sanchez pinned the blame on himself for two of the four sacks.

“Totally my fault, no question,” he said. “I mean, all the way. I should’ve gotten rid of the ball. Other than that, you take a couple of hits, I’ll throw a bad ball, somebody misses a block or somebody makes a wrong cut. That stuff’s going to happen. We can live with those. But, don’t set yourself up and just stand there and take a shot.”

Still, the offensive line must do a better job of keeping Sanchez upright.

“He got knocked down about 10 times last week, so clearly, you don’t want that to happen unless you had Roman Gabriel back there or something, who weighed like 280 (pounds),” Ryan said. “We need to do a better job of protecting him and we need to be able to run the ball better, so I think that kind of goes hand-in-hand.”

The Jets’ usual “Ground-and-Pound” approach fell to the wayside early as they ran for just 45 yards on 16 carries. Meanwhile, Sanchez threw 44 times for 335 yards, one off his career high. Ryan said he doesn’t want to make a habit of having the offense tilted so heavily in favor of the passing game.

But one thing that has become a disturbingly normal occurrence is the Jets’ inability to score a touchdown in the first quarter. They are at 16 straight games without getting into the end zone in the opening 15 minutes, but hope to fix all that Sunday against Jacksonville.

“Nobody thinks we’re going to come out and go three-and-out,” Sanchez said. “At least, I hope they don’t. But that’s not the kind of team we have. We’ve been a slow-starting kind of team for 16 games or whatever. Something’s got to change. Maybe it’s our attitude.

“I think the play-calling’s fine. We just need to convert on third down. Whether it’s me throwing a more accurate ball or not getting sacked on the first play, that kind of stuff. A sack is a drive killer, but we can’t have negative plays on first down.”

Burress acknowledged that it isn’t just on the offensive line to protect Sanchez, but the running backs and receivers, too.

“We all have to do a better job, myself being alert on the hot blitzes and different things like that,” Burress said, “and make sure we are in the right places so he doesn’t have to hold onto the football and take those hits.”

Burress and Derrick Mason, the Jets’ two new veteran receivers, were slowly worked into the game Sunday as Sanchez focused at first on Santonio Holmes, Dustin Keller and LaDainian Tomlinson.

“I made a point of just going over to both and said, ‘Hang with me. Hang with me, I’ll get you the rock, don’t worry. Just keep running the routes, stay sharp and trust me: I will throw you the ball. It’ll happen,’” Sanchez said. “And, thank God it did because they would’ve been mad. But, they showed poise, they stayed into the game and I’m really happy with the way our chemistry’s working.”

Burress finished with four catches for 72 yards, including a pretty 26-yard spinning touchdown, while Mason had three receptions for 19 yards.

“Playing quarterback in the National Football League is the hardest job in sports, other than being a goalie in the NHL or hitting a baseball,” Burress said. “We are going to go as he goes. He’s getting better, every day. We’re working tirelessly to be on the same page and when we get on Sundays, to try to make it be easy. But everything is a process. He’s coming along and I expect for him to keep getting better, week in and week out.”

Notes: The Jets are wearing their New York Titans “throwback” uniforms this weekend, something Ryan knows some fans aren’t in favor of. “We’re 4-1 in those blue uniforms, so anything for a win,” Ryan said. “It doesn’t matter if it was purple, we’d be wearing purple. … The fans, I understand, aren’t really happy with it, but just bear with us for this one game. Let’s make it 5-1 and we’ll all be happy.”

Tight End sets

September, 15, 2011

Sep 15

9:50

AM ET

By Jane McManus

When things got rough in the second half against Dallas, Jets coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer revealed a new layer to their offense when they put tight ends Dustin Keller, Matthew Mulligan and Jeff Cumberland on the field at the same time.

It was something they had practiced during training camp, and honed with former Colts assistant coach Tom Moore. On Sunday, the three tight end set was able to spread out the Dallas defense just enough to give quarterback Mark Sanchez time to throw the ball, reducing pressure on the pocket.

“That’ll be, obviously, part of what we do offensively,” Ryan said. “We want to be multiple, give multiple formations and personnel groupings. We have our tight ends. Sometimes you can’t do that because your tight ends can’t play special teams. With the exception of Keller, you’ve got Cumberland, does a good job on teams. So does Mully. So we’re allowed to bring that many tight ends to the game. It is a package that we’ve been working on a little bit.”

For Cumberland, in his second year in the league, it meant time in the regular offense rather than just making appearances in special teams, or standing on the sideline as an inactive. Cumberland said his work in special teams had helped him become a better tight end.

“It helps when you have tight ends who can do some blocking and pass protection as well,” Cumberland said.

Keller was able to gain 61 yards on five receptions. Now in his fourth season out of Purdue, Keller gets tired of talking about when he will finally emerge as the talent he seems on his way to becoming. Last season before Santonio Holmes returned from suspension, Keller was particularly effective. The trick is working him in as a receiver with Holmes, Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason on the team.

With the additional duties in the new set, Keller could be a more important part of the offense.

“We think that we can do some really good things to help the offense,” Keller said. “A little changeup.”

September 15, 2011, 6:31 am

Monitoring the Perils of Poor Scheduling in the N.F.L.

By GEORGE BRETHERTON

Los Angeles Raiders

By any measure, Oakland’s Hue Jackson got what he wanted in his debut as an N.F.L. head coach on Monday night. The Raiders went to Denver and won against a division opponent. They dominated the Broncos physically, and Denver fans were left calling for the backup quarterback Tim Tebow.

Now comes the hard part.

When the Raiders play their next game at 1 p.m. on Sunday in Buffalo, they will be on the negative side of the biggest discrepancy in recovery and preparation time for a game between two opponents, not including bye weeks, in the N.F.L. this season. The Bills defeated the Chiefs in Kansas City in a game that ended at just after 4 p.m. Eastern on Sunday. The Raiders’ game with Denver ended at at 1:46 a.m. Eastern on Tuesday. Essentially, the Bills will have a 34-hour head start for their game against Oakland.

To make matters worse, the Raiders will be forced to travel across the country to Buffalo on Friday, three days after they arrived home from their victory in Denver.

Every team has to deal with scheduling inconveniences. To Jackson’s credit, he has refused to use the schedule as an excuse (video above). But the league has a responsibility to make it fair. The Jets will be at the center of another scheduling challenge later this season.

After the Jets play New England at home on Sunday night, on Nov. 13., their next game will be at Denver on national television on Thursday, Nov. 17. The Broncos will play a 1 p.m. game in Kansas City on Nov. 13.

We will monitor the results of games this season when there are significant discrepancies in recovery and preparation time between opponents. For now, keep an eye on Oakland’s performance at Buffalo this Sunday.

Wow, that is pretty awful. Not to mention, I can't believe the NFL is still scheduling west coast teams for 1 PM east coast games. The numbers of how those games tend to play out are pretty staggering. I don't think Oakland stands a chance given the combination of circumstances.

The Jets one I don't think is quite as bad, considering both teams will be working on short weeks (although obviously more of a disadvantage to the Jets as they are traveling). The difference between Sunday afternoon and Tuesday morning is much greater than Sunday afternoon / Sunday evening.

Tight End sets

September, 15, 2011

Sep 15

9:50

AM ET

By Jane McManus

When things got rough in the second half against Dallas, Jets coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer revealed a new layer to their offense when they put tight ends Dustin Keller, Matthew Mulligan and Jeff Cumberland on the field at the same time.

It was something they had practiced during training camp, and honed with former Colts assistant coach Tom Moore. On Sunday, the three tight end set was able to spread out the Dallas defense just enough to give quarterback Mark Sanchez time to throw the ball, reducing pressure on the pocket.

“That’ll be, obviously, part of what we do offensively,” Ryan said. “We want to be multiple, give multiple formations and personnel groupings. We have our tight ends. Sometimes you can’t do that because your tight ends can’t play special teams. With the exception of Keller, you’ve got Cumberland, does a good job on teams. So does Mully. So we’re allowed to bring that many tight ends to the game. It is a package that we’ve been working on a little bit.”

For Cumberland, in his second year in the league, it meant time in the regular offense rather than just making appearances in special teams, or standing on the sideline as an inactive. Cumberland said his work in special teams had helped him become a better tight end.

“It helps when you have tight ends who can do some blocking and pass protection as well,” Cumberland said.

Keller was able to gain 61 yards on five receptions. Now in his fourth season out of Purdue, Keller gets tired of talking about when he will finally emerge as the talent he seems on his way to becoming. Last season before Santonio Holmes returned from suspension, Keller was particularly effective. The trick is working him in as a receiver with Holmes, Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason on the team.

With the additional duties in the new set, Keller could be a more important part of the offense.

“We think that we can do some really good things to help the offense,” Keller said. “A little changeup.”

With all the bashing of Schotty we do here, and I'm not saying it's wrong, we also have to give credit where credit it due. The adjustment to the 3 TE set toward the end of the game, think they used it 11 times in the 2nd half, was as vital to the win as the blocked punt, and Revis pic.

It was probably inspired by Moore, but Schotty still implemented it when it counted. It probably saved Sanchez's life, and gives future DC's something troubling to consider

Here's What You'll Experience at Sunday's Game

By Jets Staff

Posted 35 minutes ago

Welcome to Jets football at MetLife Stadium! This Sunday’s game vs. the Jacksonville Jaguars is Hispanic Heritage Day presented by El Diario / La Prensa, JetBlue, MasterCard and Univision Radio. When the Jets kick off against the Jaguars they will be wearing their blue and gold New York Titans uniforms, the franchise’s original name and colors from 1960-62. Here are a few details that you should know:

■ Ticket/parking pass forwarding and resell will be turned off at midnight on Saturday

■ This week’s game is the second regular-season home game. Be sure to bring Jaguars Game #2 parking pass and tickets.

■ Parking lots open at 8 a.m.

■ Will Call opens at 10 a.m. General Will Call is located at West Gate 3, Suite Will Call at West Gate 2.

■ Stadium gates open at 11 a.m.

■ As a reminder, there is a fan walkway between the Pepsi and Bud Light Gates allowing access all the way around the exterior of the stadium. Note that your ticket allows access to any stadium gate for entry.

■ Player warmups start at about noon.

■ We expect a sellout crowd so enter the stadium gates by 12:15 p.m. to ensure you are in your seats by kickoff.

■ Kickoff is at 1 p.m.

Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Day

Pregame, outside of the Pepsi Gate entry, fans can enjoy a cultural celebration from Univision Radio starting with performances from Colombian and Salvadoran folklorico dancers as well as a Peruvian dance group. A traditional Colombian party bus, “La Rumberita,” will be parked outside of the West Great Hall Gate while cigar roller Eduardo Lara from Cigarevents.com will be demonstrating his talents from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. WADO 1280AM, X96.3FM and La Que Buena 92.7FM — all Univision Radio stations — will be broadcasting from the plaza and giving away prizes. Special guest El Bacan Bacan from X96.3 FM will be hosting.

Visit newyorkjets.com/espanol for more information on Hispanic Heritage Day and for the latest news on the Jets in Spanish.

MetLife Central

MetLife Stadium now features MetLife Central at the West Gate, the main entrance of the stadium. Test your football skills on the MetLife Youth Football Field if you’re up for a challenge. Sign up for your Countdown Card to be eligible for once-in-a-lifetime prizes, meet Jets alumni, collect giveaways and meet MetLife’s Snoopy. Be sure to visit MetLife Central when you enter the stadium so you don’t miss out on these exciting experiences!

To Report an Issue on Gameday

Send a text message to 78247, type the word JETS followed by a space, the issue and the location. Or call the Jets Guest Services Hotline at 201-559-1515.

Be a Good Sport

Being a Good Sport means respecting fellow fans, drinking responsibly and using a designated driver. Fans 21 and older can pledge to be a designated driver at Bud Light Good Sport Designated Driver booths located by the Pepsi, Verizon, MetLife and West Gates as well as at all Guest Relations booths. Those who sign up will receive a complimentary soda voucher and a chance to win great prizes. When you enjoy alcohol responsibly and make a designated driver part of your game plan, everyone wins.

Ticket Exchange

When you sell tickets on NFL Ticket Exchange or forward them using Jets Account Manager, the original barcodes are canceled and new ones are issued immediately so there’s only one set of valid tickets available at a time. If someone tries to get in using the original tickets with canceled barcodes, we’ll flag your account and may suspend your selling and forwarding privileges while we investigate.

This is part of our aggressive efforts to protect season ticket holders and other Jets fans from ticket fraud and provide a great gameday experience. Please don’t try to use your tickets or give them to friends or family after you’ve sold or forwarded them, and destroy them to make sure they don’t get lost or stolen.

Remember: Once you sell or forward, shred 'em and forget 'em!

Take the train to the game

Whether you're coming from NYC, New Jersey, Rockland, Westchester, Long Island or even Connecticut, simply take transit to NYC Penn Station (transfer at Secaucus), Secaucus Junction or Hoboken Terminal. From these locations, connect to the Meadowlands Rail Line. The train station is located at the MetLife Gate, just steps from the stadium. Click here for more information.

For Sunday’s game, the last train to arrive in time for kickoff departs from NYC Penn Station at 11:55 a.m.

There are three trains from NYC Penn Station in the first 15 minutes of each hour to Secaucus Junction. If you miss the trains in the first 15 minutes of the hour, the next train will typically not be available for 45 minutes, which is the start of the next hour. The Hoboken train runs about every 10 minutes to the stadium. PATH trains at 34th Street–Herald Square run about every 10 minutes from 10:30 a.m.-7 p.m., then about every 20 minutes in the evening.

Note that the NJ Transit Schedule is subject to change. For more information click here.

Take the bus to the game

Another popular option is the Coach USA Bus Service, which offers the No. 351 direct bus service from the Port Authority Bus Terminal to the Meadowlands Sports Complex for all Jets home games. The 351 bus service will begin at 9:30 a.m. and will continue to run until 1:30 p.m. The 351 bus line will be operational for 30 minutes after the conclusion of the game. Dropoff and pickup at the stadium is located near Parking Lot K, same as the 2010 season. A roundtrip ticket costs $10 and a one-way ticket is $5 (exact change is required).

For more information click here or call (800) 877-1888, Ext. 3.

Or park remotely

Need a place to park and don’t have a season parking pass? Two popular independently run parking alternatives are Secaucus Park & Ride and Murray Hill Parkway. Secaucus Park and Ride is located at 675 New County Rd. at Seaview Drive in Secaucus and costs $30/game — park your car, then hop on the NJ Transit train. Or use Murray Hill Parkway’s satellite parking, off of Paterson Plank Road and Union Avenue in East Rutherford. The parking lot opens four hours prior to kickoff and closes one hour after the game ends and costs $25/game, which includes parking and transportation. Click here for more information on both options.

WHAT’S HAPPENING IN THE PLAZA

Don’t forget, if you ever have a question, concern or comment about anything related to your game experience, look for a member of METLIFE STADIUM GUEST SERVICES or NEW YORK JETS CUSTOMER SERVICE who can either assist you on the spot or help you find someone who can.

Leave plenty of time to get to the game and explore the Plaza, which opens at 11 a.m.

Broadcasting: Come listen to 1050 ESPN New York’s live pregame radio show beginning at 11 a.m. at the 1050 ESPN New York stage located between the West and Verizon Gates.

Jets Tailgate Toss: New for the 2011 season, showcase your beanbag-tossing skills at the Jets beanbag toss sets near the Verizon Gate. And if you can’t get enough, head to the Jets Shop Flagship Store powered by Reebok to bring one home.

Verizon Corner: Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with Verizon by joining their tailgate celebration in the Verizon corner on the plaza. Enjoy giveaways, Flight Crew appearances, refreshments and the ultimate fan photo contest. ¡Demuéstranos tu furia verde!

Bud Light Corner: Enjoy the railgating experience in the Bud Light area while listening to the band Naked Twister.

Beer Garden: Before you enter the stadium enjoy $5 domestic Bud and Bud Light draft beers sponsored by Bud Light, located outside of the stadium by the train.

Chase Freedom Zone: Find the Chase Freedom® Zone between the West and Verizon Gates, where you can tackle a football obstacle course as well as a quarterback challenge drill.

Jets Gear: Get your green on at the Jets Shop Flagship Store powered by Reebok adjacent to the West Great Hall. The new 2011 sideline collection is now available so make sure to head in and check it out. This week’s item of the game is $5 off any replica jersey, available at all Jets Shop locations.

Flight Crew Calendar: The 2012 Flight Crew Cheerleader Calendar has just been released. Come by the Jets Shop Flagship Store from 11:25 a.m.-12:10 p.m. to purchase your calendar, meet the squad and get your calendar signed.

Tailgaters: Grill out with Weber/Lobel’s as they make sandwiches to your liking near the Verizon Gate.

Tables & Chairs: Take a seat and enjoy the plaza with the green-colored tables and chairs scattered around.

FanVision: Look for the FanVision ambassadors, who will be walking around the parking lots. To learn more and to purchase, visit the Jets Shop Flagship Store powered by Reebok adjacent to the West Great Hall.

Premio: Visit Premio's trailer outside the West Gate for some free sampling of their quality sausages.

Home Food Advantage: The food item of the week is Fried Clam Strips for $6.75 (regular price $7.50) available at all Boardwalk Fryer locations.

Kumho Tires: Check out the Kumho Tires exhibit outside the West Gate, which features a 30-inch tire display and giveaways.

Bio Force Pro: Find out more about the Bio Force Pro home gym system as the experts demonstrate this dynamic system between the MetLife Youth Football Field and Pepsi Gate.

ENTERTAINMENT

National Anthem: Latin Grammy award nominee Prince Royce.

A singer, composer and actor in both Spanish and English, Prince Royce’s self-titled debut album has been certified double platinum and features Royce’s first single, a bilingual and bachata cover of the classic and timeless 1961 Ben E. King song “Stand By Me.”

Halftime: Five lucky fans will compete in a field goal kicking contest. The winner will receive a trip for two to the 2011 Latin Grammy Awards in Las Vegas in November. Snoopy and his friends will be down on the field helping to get the contestants pumped up!

Be sure to use your smartphone on gameday to scan the QR code on the back of your ticket to find out this week’s day-of-game special offer!

Stop by the Jets Shop Flagship Store powered by Reebok or any other permanent Jets Shop stores in the stadium to check out new gear for the 2011 season!

For those in the Clubs and Suites, enjoy some Jets Uncorked limited-release 2008 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, available for purchase. And for all Jets fans 21 and older, visit www.newyorkjets.com/uncorked to uncork your own.

Jets Darrelle Revis Makes Key Play Wearing Microphone

September 15, 2011 11:30 AM

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — Darrelle Revis did Versus and NFL Films a big favor when he made the key play in the New York Jets’ 27-24 victory over Dallas on Sunday night.

Revis wore a microphone for a weekly new show, “NFL Turning Point,” that will be aired each Thursday night on Versus, beginning this week. Then he produced the turning point for his team with a last-minute interception to set up Nick Folk’s 50-yard field goal.

The All-Pro cornerback said Wednesday it’s the first time he has worn a microphone during a game, and his conversations with outspoken Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant were captured throughout the night.

“Yeah, pretty cool. I’ll tell you, though, there was some crazy stuff on that mic, man,” Revis said. “It’s the heat of the battle. He said words to me, and I’m saying words back to Dez.”

Some of those words might need to be deleted from the Versus show.

“The Jets’ (public relations) staff said it would look into it before it got out there,” Revis said about agreeing to wear the microphone. “It’s X-rated. There was a lot of stuff going on, a lot of back and forth.

“That’s real life. Whatever was said on there, that’s what it was. It’s in the heat of the moment, the heat of battle. That’s what it was.”

At one point, both Revis and Bryant talk about their respect for each other. Then they go right back to competing — and trash-talking.

Never did Revis think about the fact he was wearing a microphone.

“Not until after the game and you’re like going through everything and thinking about what happened, and you’re like, ‘Oh, man, I shouldn’t have said this or that,’ ” he said with a laugh. “But by then, it’s too late.”

Revis had a typically strong game, shutting down Bryant for most of the night after the Cowboys receiver victimized New York’s other cornerback, Antonio Cromartie, on several early plays, including a touchdown catch.

With the game tied at 24, the Cowboys had a chance for a winning drive with 59 seconds left, but Romo’s short pass was picked off by Revis. He returned it 20 yards to the Dallas 34, then stood on the sideline gesturing at the crowd and shouting.

All of it audible.

“They said they were going to edit it, though — I hope,” Revis said.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.

September 15, 2011, 11:00 am

Why Rex Ryan and the Jets Run

By ANDY BARALL

New York Jets

For those who appreciate the technical side of the game, Andy Barall shared some thoughts on the Jets’ running game, and the brilliance of Dallas’s DeMarcus Ware, in a comment on an earlier post. It’s worth its own post here:

The Jets are a zone running team. They prefer the outside zone, to the 6 and 7 holes (6 to the right and 7 to the left). The aiming point for the running back is either the inside leg of the tight end to the strong side or the outside leg of the offensive tackle to the weak side.

In a zone scheme, the backs are usually coached to get to the break point quickly and make a decision. After that, it’s one cut and go. The Jets stress patience. They tell their backs “slow to and fast through”– slow to the aiming point but, after making the decision, fast through the hole.

On Sunday night, the Jets ran one tackle trap in the fourth quarter. All the rest were zone runs. One reason it’s tough running the outside zone against the Cowboys is their two outside linebacker/defensive ends, Anthony Spencer and DeMarcus Ware, do a great job of holding the point of attack and turning the play back inside.

Ware is not just a great pass rusher. When he’s over the tight end, I believe he’s the only player who can line up in a loose 9-technique (a full body outside the tight end) and still effectively cover the C-gap (between the tackle and the tight end). When the play comes at him, he drives the tight end into the backfield so the runner can’t turn the corner. When the back cuts inside of him, Ware just falls off the tight end and makes the play.

On Sunday, Dallas’s interior defensive line and inside linebackers maintained their gap integrity and the Jets’ offensive line got little movement up front. As a result, the running backs didn’t have a cutback lane. Over all, the Cowboy defense played well, especially considering the injuries to their secondary.

The Jets are not a high-scoring team. Last year, their 34 offensive touchdowns tied them with the Bengals for 20th in the league. They want to play a certain way. Fifteen runs by Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson and 49 drop-backs by Mark Sanchez is not it.

Rex Ryan believes that rushing attempts are more important than rushing yards. They shoot for at least 31 rushing attempts per game. Those runs combined with the pass completions will keep the chains and the clock moving, and keep the defense off the field. That, when you include excellent special teams, gives the Jets the best chance for victory.

Winning can mask many deficiencies. The coaches, however, aren’t fooled. Ryan knows that for the Jets to get where they want to go, they’re going to have to play a whole lot better than they did on Sunday night, on offense and on defense.

Extra point Walt Bennett, a regular Fifth Down commenter and Jets fan, differed: “I highly doubt that Rex cares more about rushing attempts than rushing yards. He cares about having a running game that dictates what the opposing defense does, but as he eloquently explained last week in a press conference, the Detroit game last year taught him to not be too set in his ways, to do what it takes to win the game.” As always, share your thoughts in the comments.

Jets vs. Jaguars: Passing game could thrive for Jets due to Jaguars injuries

Published: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 12:20 PM Updated: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 12:21 PM

Star-Ledger Staff By Star-Ledger Staff

tight end Marcedes Lewis is questionable for Sunday's game against the Jets with a strained calf.

The Jets and Jacksonville Jaguars are careening towards Sunday's Week 2 matchup at MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands. The following is a sample of the storylines swarming around the Jaguars:

Tania Ganguli, The Florida Times-Union: Marcedes Lewis is the primary injury concern for the Jaguars on offense. He told reporters he would test his dinged calf muscle Friday in practice. Backup Zach Miller returned to practice Wednesday, recovered adequately enough from a knee injury.

Alfie Crow, Big Cat Country: The rib injury that forced cornerback Derek Cox from Sunday's win over Tennessee will hold the Jaguars starter out of Sunday's game. William Middleton will start in place of Cox.

Vito Stellino, The Florida Times-Union: The absence of Cox and defensive end Aaron Kampman means the Jets' passing game could thrive Sunday. The Jaguars have cobbled together a defensive line of journeymen, including John Chick, the player who took former quarterback David Garrard's roster spot.

Tania Ganguli, The Florida Times-Union: Jaguars wide receiver Jason Hill feels that the New York-area media generates more hype for teams than they deserve. "I think the whole New York is overhyped," Hill remarked.

Keefe To The City: NFL Week 2 Picks

September 15, 2011 12:49 PM

Share this

No comments

By Neil Keefe

» More columns

“I just didn’t have it today. I made a few mistakes and didn’t follow the scouting reports and the game plan. I’m just going to have to work harder over these next few days and be better the next time.”

That’s what I would say if people cared about my NFL picks and I had to be held accountable for them, and there were microphones and cameras in my face at my desk at the conclusion of Week 1 on Monday night after a disastrous start. 6-8-2. That’s my record after Week 1. So, if you want to close this page right now and not read my picks for Week 2, I completely understand (please don’t do that). I do hold myself accountable and will come back stronger in Week 2. (Obviously, there’s no guarantee in that, but major league pitchers get away with lines like that all the time, so why can’t I?)

I made a few terrible decisions last week like believing in the Giants, trusting Colt McCoy and the Browns, thinking the Bills would suck again and going against the Lions bandwagon, which is now at capacity though there might be some tickets available on StubHub. Looking back on these choices, how could I be so stupid? I might as well have given the ball to A.J. Burnett in a must-win game.

At least I’m holding myself accountable and I have to because I don’t have someone like Suzyn Waldman to support me and say, “Ya know, John … If Neil didn’t make a few mistakes with his picks in the 1:00 games and a few more in his picks for the 4:00 games and then another one on Sunday Night Football, he would have gone 16-0 in Week 1!”

Then John Sterling would tell her “you can’t predict football” and so on. But I don’t have a radio team to narrate my Sundays and Monday nights and analyze the good and the bad, and I’m thankful for that since last week was bad.

The good news is I have 16 more weeks to redeem myself. The bad news is that Week 2 is harder than Week 1. Why? Well in Week 1 everything you have thought about regarding all 32 teams since the Super Bowl ended is put to the test. Some of your personal theories are proven right and some (most apparently) are proven wrong. So, you throw everything that went wrong out the window and create new theories off of what you saw in Week 1, which is obviously the smallest of sample sizes. It’s a dangerous game, but everyone does it, and I have done it.

Week 2 … let’s go!

(Home team in caps)

NEW ORLEANS -6.5 over Chicago

How mad must Drew Brees have been after he brought Saints down the entire field and then Sean Payton decided to give the ball to Mark Ingram on the final play of the game (a play that shouldn’t have happened.) Probably even more mad than I was on Wednesday when I saw the 53rd Bob’s Discount Furniture commercial of the day, so I googled “Bob’s” net worth and couldn’t find anything.

The Bears had their way with the Falcons last week, but I don’t think things are going to go over that well in the SuperDome where the Who Dat Nation has probably already started consuming alcohol in preparation for Sunday’s game. Jay Cutler in the SuperDome? Yeah, I think I’ll take the Saints.

DETROIT -9 over Kansas City

That line is not a typo. Can the Elias Sports Bureau tell me the last time the Lions were giving nine points? I would have to think they could. I mean they can tell me what Derek Jeter’s batting average is against right-handed relievers born in the month of April on Thursday nights when it’s at least 67 degrees outside and between 9:33 p.m. and 9:41 p.m. So I’m pretty sure they can find out for me the last time the Lions were favored by nine points. Get on that, Elias.

NEW YORK JETS -9 over Jacksonville

The Jets have had a lot of bad luck for a long time. A looooooong time. Now it seems like everything is beginning to fall their way. The way they got into the playoffs in 2009. The way they won a bunch of games late in 2010 to return to the postseason. The way they beat the Cowboys on Sunday night. There isn’t a doubt in my mind that just a handful of years ago the Jets don’t win that game. Things have changed.

Now sure they had the perfect storm of Tony Romo’s late-game brain farts and the inconsistent Nick Folk getting payback on his old team and without those things the Jets would be 0-1 right now and Rex Ryan would be getting slammed by every media outlet. I know “could of, should of, would of” is for losers and like John Mason (Sean Connery) says in The Rock, “Losers whine about their best.” (If you want to know what he says winners do, you should watch the movie since I’m not allowed to write it here). And that is essentially what the Cowboys are doing as Jerry Jones has praised the effort of Tony Romo. The Jets on the other hand have taken the win and moved on the way they did last year when they pulled out miracle wins in the fourth quarter.

I don’t know if the Jets are a Super Bowl team. No one does. No one knows who is a Super Bowl team right now after one game and if they think they do, they are lying to you. But I know one thing. The Jets are a winning team. And winning teams get the breaks and the lucky bounces like the Jets did on Sunday night.

BUFFALO -3.5 over Oakland

I owe the Bills an apology. Everyone does. Especially my friend Mike Hurley who ripped them in his own picks column and then had to deal with Buffalonians (no idea if that is what they are called, but it sounds funny) tearing him apart. For that alone, I’m riding the Bills this week. Let’s go Bills!

Arizona +4 over WASHINGTON

My friend Ray is the biggest Redskins fan I know. (I think I only know like three Redskins fans.) He spends nearly every second of his time online (I hope no one at his job is reading this) reading about the Redskins. He can tell me every piece of information I would need to know about every player on the team (I would never need to know any piece of information about the Redskins). But even he thought the Redskins would lose to the Giants. Prior to Week 1, he emailed me his prediction with the Giants winning by 10, and as a Cubs fan, he said he was pumped for Sunday for the first Redskins game of the season, but that he would be looking forward to MLB Opening Day 2012 on Monday. Do you know how bad this makes me feel about the Giants?

I really want the Cardinals to lose to the Redskins on Sunday, so I don’t feel so bad. I think they will lose, but I think it’s going to be close. Closer than the Giants’ 14-point loss to them.

Baltimore -6 over TENNESSEE

If you could project Ed Reed’s stats against the Steelers over the course of a 16-game season of games only against the Steelers, he would be considered the best football player in history. The Titans aren’t the Steelers, but after watching Joe Flacco looking like he improved significantly and the Ravens defense looking primed for another big year, I don’t think it would be wise to start believing in Matt Hasselbeck against this team.

PITTSBURGH -14.5 over Seattle

I think I found my survivor pool pick. I think everyone did. I don’t see the Steelers opening the year 0-2 and losing at home. And after their defense dropped an A.J. Burnett-like egg in Week 1, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Seahawks can’t find the scoreboard until garbage time.

Green Bay -10 over CAROLINA

Last week I said this about the Packers:

The Packers scare me in a way that I feel like they will never have to punt. Obviously that’s ridiculous, but that’s what it seems like.

I was only kidding. Or at least I thought I was. There was a point in the game where I thought they might score 109 points per game this year. That was against the Saints, who could very well see the Packers in the NFC Championship. What’s going to happen against THE PANTHERS?!?!

Well, last week I also said this:

I think the Packers have a chance to do what the Patriots did to spreads during the 2007 season. The Patriots offense forced Las Vegas to make double digits lines for most of the year because of their ridiculous win differentials in the first eight weeks (24, 24, 31, 21, 17, 21, 21, 45). If I’m right about the Packers following this lead, it’s time to jump on board now before they are favored by 17.5 points in a few weeks.

I hope you were listening because we are getting there and this is only going to get worse. In a couple weeks we are going to look back at this Week 2 line and laugh and say how were they not favored by 17.5 against THE PANTHERS?!?!

MINNESOTA -3 over Tampa Bay

I picked the Buccaneers last week off the logic last week that they had improved dramatically from 2009 to 2010 (3-13 to 10-6) and that if you’re going to pick the Lions off the same logic (2-14 to 6-10) that it made more sense to pick the Buccaneers. I was wrong. But I’m not wrong this week when Donovan McNabb shows that he isn’t the has-been that many think he is.

INDIANAPOLIS +2.5 over Cleveland

The Colts aren’t going anywhere this season without Peyton Manning and with Kerry Collins. But this game will be interesting because you will be able to see if Colts fans just completely gave up at the news of Peyton’s unknown return, or if they still believe in the Colts and still believe in football in Indianapolis without No. 18. If the crowd brings it on Sunday then we will know, and I’m hoping they do because after Week 1, I’m anti-Browns for 2011.

Dallas -3 over SAN FRANCISCO

Last week I said this about the 49ers:

Another year of football and another year of the 49ers getting love from Las Vegas. Alex Smith is still the starting quarterback, right? OK, just checking.

Well, they won. They beat the Seahawks. Congratulations! So, once again Las Vegas decides to feed the San Francisco hype. After the way the Cowboys played in Week 1 and nearly beat the Jets on the road, I thought this line would be Dallas -7 when you consider those things and that America likes to bet for the Cowboys. But like Jim sending messages to Dwight from the future that the coffee is poisoned in The Office, I’m warning you … the 49ers Kool-Aid is poisoned. Don’t drink the 49ers Kool-Aid!

Houston -3 over MIAMI

Maybe the guys in Las Vegas missed Monday Night Football. If Bart Scott thought the 2010 Patriots defense couldn’t stop a nose bleed then what would he have to say about the 2011 Dolphins defense?

Tony Sparano rocking the sunglasses at night like he’s the Situation or sitting at the final table of the World Series of Poker will always amaze me. I don’t think I have ever seen Sparano’s eyes. He’s sort of like Wilson in Home Improvement.

NEW ENGLAND -7 over San Diego

I wouldn’t be surprised if John Gruden has pictures of Tom Brady around his house instead of family pictures. Gruden professed his love for Brady on Monday Night Football and he had a right to as Brady threw for 109,152 yards against the Dolphins.

I despise both the Patriots and the Chargers. But Tom Brady at home and coming off that performance? Someone might stop him this year, but it’s not going to be Norv Turner’s Chargers.

Cincinnati +4.5 over DENVER

The Bengals are 1-0. Their schedule is Denver, San Francisco, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Bye. That’s not very hard, and there’s a very good chance the Bengals COULD be undefeated or in very good shape entering their bye week in Week 7. Do I think they will be? Of course not. But there’s a chance. And if they get there, suddenly Andy Dalton will be a hero and everyone will be in love with the Bengals. But not me. They knocked me out of one of my two survivor pools and now it’s personal. So go ahead, Cincinnati. I want you to become the next “great story” and the “2011 Cinderella.” I will be rooting against you the whole way.

ATLANTA +2.5 over Philadelphia

No one told the Falcons that last week’s game counted against the Bears. I think they will be more than ready for the Eagles this week on Sunday Night Football. If they’re not then the Giants will arrive in Philadelphia next week to face the undefeated “Dream Team.” I think I should make other plans for next Sunday.

NEW YORK GIANTS -6 over St. Louis

I’m scared to read tweets from any Giants beat writer for fear of bad news. Anytime I see a tweet or any mention of the New York Giants at this point I just assume someone tore their ACL.

Let’s be honest. Last week was embarrassing. Rex Grossman threw for 305 yards, and the Giants didn’t score in the second half. Anyone surprised by this Giants loss hasn’t watched this team for the last decade. Outside of a four-game playoff winning streak, the Giants are the team we saw on Sunday. An inconsistent and undisciplined group of underachievers is what they are. The best part is that if Grossman could pick apart the Giants defense like that, what’s going to happen with Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers on the schedule? If the Giants can’t beat the Rams, who lost just about their whole team against the Eagles, then it will be time to wave the white flag and focus on the Yankees playoffs and look forward to opening night for the Rangers.

Last week: 6-8-2

Sanchez's Wednesday News Conference

By Jets Media Relations Department

Posted 1 hour ago

Transcript of quarterback Mark Sanchez's informal news conference at his locker following Wednesday's midday practice at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center:

On how he feels after practice today…

I feel good. I felt like we just had a physical game, and the training staff just wanted to be extra cautious and make sure I’m doing well especially at the beginning of the season so I can make it through the long haul, but I feel good.

On the Jaguars being a thorn in the Jets side in the past…

We dropped a game to them at home. It just reminds us how well we need to play at home and protect our stadium. But [they’re] a good football team, a disciplined football team under coach Del Rio and we know they have some great players. [They’re] a tough, physical team so we need to be up for this game and excited, and play well at home.

On throwing the ball more than usual and if it will continue into this game…

It was awesome. I have no idea, we’ll go with what the gameplan calls for. It could be a good balance, we might run it a ton, we might throw it a ton. So whatever we need to do, I know this team will be able to adjust and play well. But it’s a good defense that we’re going against, so we need to play really well.

On if he remembers another game where he got hit as much as the Cowboys game…

There are other games like that. Cleveland last year. A Ryan defense, you know you’re going to come up with some bumps and bruises and that’s normal and that’s good. That means you’re playing hard and they are too obviously. So there’s nothing wrong with that.

On if there is a worry that there will be an emotional letdown after the 9/11 game…

That’s what a lot of people are asking. That could be the case but this team, we know it’s another AFC opponent, this has playoff implications down the road, and you don’t want to drop one of these at home. You have to cherish these games at home and we have a tough three game stretch after this, so we really need to take advantage of this game and play well. But there’s never going to be a bigger game emotionally than our opener this year, but we need to answer the call and rise to the challenge this week because this is huge.

On looking back at film from the game two years ago…

Just watching that game from a couple years ago, you want to kick yourself because there’s some easy plays that we let go, some easy completions I left on the field and it’s just really too bad to lose at home right after a bye week. So, we need to be ready to play and we know this is going to be a good team.

On carrying over the momentum from the end of the Dallas game…

Well, that’s the emphasis and we kind of got our first game jitters out of the way and with all the festivities and the memorial service leading into the game, there were a lot of things that we had to focus [on], not just the game. This week, we can’t impress upon ourselves enough about how another AFC opponent [is] coming to our place. This is a must win. We need a great gameplan to start it off well. The coaches got us off to a good start on this Wednesday and we need to carry it through the week.

On wearing the throwback New York Titans jerseys…

I love the throwbacks, I love them. The Titans of New York, they give us some sweet gear and sweatshirts and all that. It’s really cool. I love those jerseys.

On if the Jaguars run more base defense than the Cowboys…

It’ll be different, maybe not as exotic as a Ryan defense but still a tough, in your face [defense]. Their front four, we faced Roth last year, and then they went out and got a bunch of defensive players, stud defensive players in the secondary and the linebacking corps. So, [Paul] Posluszny and [Clint] Session from Indianapolis that we played before. [Dawan] Landry from Baltimore and then obviously Dwight Lowery and Drew Coleman, guys we have a lot of respect for. We’re going to have our hands full. Whatever they run, it’ll be a good, tough defense for us.

On seeing former Jets DBs Lowery and Coleman…

It’ll be good before the game, and then as soon as we start playing we have to get after it. We’ll see how they play against us. They’ve always played traditionally well against our offense when they were on the same [team] as us. They’re still good friends of ours, but we’re trying to win a game. So we’ll put that aside for 60 minutes and then high five at the end, but that’s about it.

On this being a must win game…

Just an AFC opponent, it carries weight. Our AFC record is what put us over the hump last year and got us that Buffalo game at home at the end that whether we won or lost that game it wouldn’t have mattered, so we had a chance to rest some of our starters. We want to be in a similar situation. We want to win our division of course, but these AFC games are big if it comes down to crunch time and you’re tied with someone in your division.

On how he feels he played Sunday…

I think for most of the game I felt great. I stood in versus pressure, I got some throws off under a little duress, I used my feet a little bit and made some plays. Almost all the right checks, and then there’s a handful of plays that we could have ran the ball on a couple and then I checked to a pass. And then there were a couple throws where I felt hot after the touchdown to Dustin [Keller] and we’re rolling on offense and I just kind of didn’t really adhere to my read discipline.

And when you don’t go through your pure progression the right way, you skip number one and go right to number two because Dustin is hot and I’m feeling good and invincible and I can make any throw, you stare right at the guy and then anybody will pick you off and he almost takes it to the house. Those little slipups can’t happen and that can beat us. So I’m lucky and the offense is lucky that the special teams played so well and our defense came back and got a big interception at the end.

On if he remembers bringing a sheet of paper with him to the podium...

I remember watching the film thinking about that. I was just stupid. You’re frustrated and you’re losing games. We lost before the bye week, we lost right after the bye week and we were getting our butts kicked all over the field. And I felt like I was playing poorly and I was the reason for most of our losses. So that’s a tough spot to be in and I would think I would be ready to handle it and at that moment you feel like, “Man, I need an answer for all that stuff, and here’s what it is.” And that was just stupid and a dumb, dumb rookie mistake. So that won’t happen again.

On if he thinks there will be a letdown after the Dallas game…

I disagree, I think each week has its own storyline. This one being an AFC opponent, we’re putting a real big emphasis on playing at home and protecting our home stadium. And we can’t lose at home. We can’t. We want to get a home playoff game, and there’s no point in getting a home playoff game if you keep dropping games at home. It just doesn’t work. This has to be huge for us. We say it every week, must win, but this is a big one. And we know they’re tough. This is a disciplined team. They’re not going to have penalties. They’re not going to turn it over. They’re going to control the game by running the ball. So if you don’t sustain drives and convert on third down, you might not get the ball for another quarter. So we can’t have that, we have to be sharp.

On if he is encouraged by how he worked with Plaxico Burress against Dallas…

Absolutely. ‘Tone [santonio Holmes] and Dustin [Keller] got a bunch of catches early with LT [LaDainian Tomlinson] and Plax [burress] and Mace [Derrick Mason] are kind of sitting over there, like “Man, they brought us in here…” There’s all of this stuff going on. They’re excited for the game, and they’re gamers, they’re competitive, and they’re just like, “Man…” So, I made a point to go over and tell them both, “Hang with me. I’ll get you the rock. Don’t worry. Just keep running the routes. Stay sharp. Trust me, I will throw you the ball. It will happen. Thank God it did, they would’ve been mad [laughing]. It was good. They showed poise. They stayed into the game. I’m really happy with how our chemistry is working.

On if the issues the offense was dealing were overlooked because of how meaningful the win over Dallas was…

Oh, sure. That can’t get lost. You’ve got to be sensitive to what I say talking about September 11th, and remembering the memorial service and all that. That’s important, and that’s huge to win at all costs. The way we won was dramatic and soap opera-ish, with the Ryan Bowl and September 11th and Nick Folk kicking the game winner, but it can’t get lost that we need to be sharper on offense. I can’t be the reason that we turn the ball over two times. We needed to start faster, whether it’s no-huddle or whatever, we just need to start faster and sustain a couple more drives and be better in the red zone. That stuff can’t get lost in, “Hey, we won, we’re all smiling,” and it doesn’t.

On if the lack of touchdowns in the first quarter is psychological…

I don’t know if it’s psychological. Nobody thinks we’re going to come out and go three-and-out. I hope they don’t. That’s not the kind of team we have. We’ve been a slow-starting team, for 16 games, like you said. Something’s got to change, maybe it’s just our attitude. I think the play calling is fine. We just need to convert on third down, whether it’s me throwing a more accurate ball or not getting sacked on the first play, that kind of stuff. You take a sack, I think the stat is like, 12% of the time you’ll end up scoring a touchdown on that drive, so a sack is a drive killer. We can’t have negative plays on first down. We need to be much better on first down, to convert at least.

On what his recovery was like on Monday…

just get banged around on Sunday a little bit. Get some rest, get a massage, cold tub and all that stuff.

On if it took long for him to feel like himself on Monday…

No, I popped up on Monday and I was feeling good, especially after a win. It was a physical game, and I took a couple of those shots, and I was getting up a little slow.

On if the offensive line had anything to say about it…

No, they were fine. Two of the sacks were totally my fault, no question. All the way. I should’ve gotten rid of the ball. Other than that, you take a couple of hits. I’ll throw a bad ball, somebody misses a block, somebody makes a wrong cut. That stuff’s going to happen. We can live with those. Don’t set yourself up and just stand there and take a shot.

On how much better he has gotten at not letting one bad play impact the next play…

You know who’s been great about that? Well, Cav [quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh]'s always been good. Keeping an even demeanor. He barely smiles. He won’t smile until after the game, but he barely even smiles, even when you throw the best ball of your life, or throw a touchdown or make a good run or good check that you’re supposed to, he just keeps that even demeanor. It kind of reminds me, that touchdown, interception, sack, fumble, whatever, just let it go man. Coach Tom Moore, he always tells us “Put it to bed,” and that’s it.

On if that advice helps…

It helps. I’m still frustrated. I’m competitive, but you can’t let it [affect you], because then you jeopardize the next play, you jeopardize what everybody’s doing on that next play and you can hurt the team. I’ve got to protect those guys with my attitude and my decisions.

On homefield advantage…

The way our crowd rose up for that game last week, that’s huge, and we’re going to need them big time this week. We need them screaming when the other team’s on offense, we need them to get penalties on offense. That’s huge for our defense, going from a third-and-five to a third-and-10, just from a quarterback’s standpoint, it’s like, “God, we’re killing ourselves.” You’re shooting yourself in the foot. You can’t [do that]. That’s huge. We need to play well at home. We want to give our fans support. Our fans love watching us play well at home. It’s got to happen and I think that’s what we’re working towards.

Jets LB David Harris dresses for practice, works with trainers

Published: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 12:41 PM Updated: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 12:53 PM

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Jets David Harris.JPGANDREW MILLS/The Star-LedgerDavid Harris (toe) was not dressed fr practice yesterday but was out with the team on Thursday. He did not participate in position drills, though.

Jets linebacker David Harris (toe) was dressed at practice today and went through warm-ups with the team before leaving to work with trainers.

The team practiced indoors because of the rain and did not wear pads.

Harris was not dressed for Wednesday's practice and spent the time stretching off to the side. Yesterday, Rex Ryan said that the team expected him back for Sunday's game against Jacksonville.

Harris still nursing toe injury

September, 15, 2011

Sep 15

12:54

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

For the second straight day, LB David Harris was a bystander at practice -- the early portion anyway.

Harris, who injured a toe Sunday night against the Cowboys, stretched with the team Thursday in the field house, but he didn't participate in any positional drills. When the team broke up into units, Harris went off to the side to work with a trainer. He was seen jogging, and it was clear the toe was causing some discomfort.

Despite the ominous signs, Harris is expected to play Sunday against the Jaguars, according to Rex Ryan. His presence in this game will be vital because the Jaguars are a power-running team, and Harris might be the Jets' best run stuffer.

September 15, 2011 1:25 PM 1 comment

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis mic'd up in season-opening win against the Cowboys

BY Manish Mehta

Darrelle Revis had an eventful night battling wide receiver Dez Bryant in the Jets’ wild comeback win against the Cowboys on Sunday night. Fans will get a flavor for what the Jets’ All-Pro cornerback, who was wired for sound, said to Bryant on the show “Turning Point” on the Versus channel tonight at 10 pm EST.

Here’s a sampling of some moments that reveal Revis’ competitiveness, cool and respect for his opponent on that night:

Early in the game, defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman approached Revis on the sideline with this message: “I may put you on Dez.”

Throughout the game, the Bryant was grabbing Revis, who calmly laughed off some of the extra-curricular activity. At one point Bryant, who was held without a catch after he had three receptions for 71 yards in the first quarter, gave Revis his props.

Bryant: “I respect you, dawg.”

Revis: “I respect you. We’re gonna duke it out like bulls now.”

After Revis intercepted Tony Romo’s pass intended for Bryant in the final minute of the game, the cornerback watched as Nick Folk lined up for a game-winning 50-yard field goal. Revis turned to Dave Szott, the team’s Director of Player Development, on the sideline and said, “He did 50 before plenty of times in his sleep, right?"

When Folk nailed the field goal, Revis ran up to him in jubilation. “I set you up!” Revis said.

After the game, Revis embraced Bryant and delivered this message: “Hey, much respect. It’s all competition out there, man. You got some heart, man.”

In the winning lockerroom, Rex Ryan shared this with his team: "Your community is proud of you. We’re New York’s team. That was one hell of a job."

NOTE: Linebacker David Harris (toe) was back in uniform for practice today and stretching off to the side in the portion of practice open to the media. We'll get a more detailed report from Rex Ryan after practice.

- With Kevin Armstrong

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

wight Lowery anticipated being traded by Jets

Published: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 12:17 PM Updated: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 2:04 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Dwight Lowery was taking a nap on the afternoon of Sept. 3, when his wife woke him up and told Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum had called.

Lowery picked up his phone and saw a text message from his agent: He had been traded to Jacksonville. The fourth-year defensive back wasn't surprised.

"I was anticipating it a bit, because of how much I was practicing," Lowery said by phone today from Jacksonville. "I knew I was going to be traded or released."

On Sunday, Lowery will face his former team for the first time, along with cornerback Drew Coleman, who signed a three-year deal with the Jaguars in free agency, worth a maximum value of $7.4 million. Both were former draft picks of the Jets in the Eric Mangini era, now pursuing new opportunities in the AFC South.

Each made a big splash in Jacksonville's season-opening win against Tennessee. Lowery delivered the game-clinching interception for Jacksonville, and Coleman saw extended time as the nickel corner, recording a strip sack.

Lowery's change of teams was more sudden than Coleman's, happening after the preseason as teams pared down their rosters to 53 players. He spoke that afternoon to both Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan, who thanked him for his time with the organization.

Lowery said he didn't approach the coaching staff to ask why his repetitions dwindled in camp. He was under contract and felt it was his job to do what was asked of him.

"On special teams and on defense, I saw some guys playing in different roles to see if I was somebody that could be expendable," Lowery recalled. "Down toward the end, I wasn’t getting reps at all. I think they kept me in case somebody were to get hurt; that’s probably why it didn't happen earlier, or what I'm guessing. I know the organization has to do what's best for them, and that’s totally understandable."

After Lowery was traded for a conditional draft pick, Ryan cited the Jets' surplus of defensive backs and the chance for Lowery to get more playing time elsewhere.

Lowery started 10 games at cornerback as a rookie in 2008, but Ryan brought in a new system that relied on his cornerbacks' man-to-man coverage skills, not Lowery's best asset. Last year Lowery became what the coaches called a "specialist," utilizing his ball skills and excellent instincts to come up with two game-saving takeaways in limited playing time. Those plays, against Minnesota and Denver, also earned him the nickname of "Closer."

Lowery was charged with learning the safety position in this year's camp but also needed to be ready to step into that versatile specialist role, also called the "X" position. He found that the responsibilities of each melded together, causing confusion.

In Jacksonville, while he had a lot of catching up to do with the playbook, Lowery is enjoying the chance to focus on one position, safety, where he sees time in sub packages.

"The more repetition, the more practice you get, the better you are going to be at something," Lowery said. "I'm getting that here. When I was with the Jets, it was tough because it seemed like they didn't really know where to put me. If you are playing a lot of different places, it's hard to become good at one thing. I get to learn how to play one thing for a year, is what it seems like it's coming down to."

Coleman, who spent his first five seasons with the Jets, didn't rule out a return heading into free agency. About five teams expressed interest, he said, but he saw the greatest opportunity to contribute with the Jaguars, who sought him out as their designated nickel cornerback.

"It wasn’t about money. I love playing this game, and I just wanted a better opportunity to get a chance to play," Coleman said in a phone interview. "I knew in New York with them having Kyle Wilson and Darrelle Revis, and bringing back Antonio Cromartie, I would still be in the same boat I've been in past couple years. But I can't complain. I got to play for Rex and (secondary coach Dennis Thurman) and (outside linebackers coach) Jeff Weeks, and (assistant secondary coach) Jim O'Neil. They gave me opportunities, and the trust to go out there and make plays. I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for the opportunities they gave me."

Both have been in touch with their former Jets teammates since their departure -- except for this week. Coleman and Lowery expect to catch up with some of the coaches and fellow defensive backs during warm-ups. Their ex-teammates have been keeping tabs on how they're doing.

"The sack machine had another sack, I guess, and Mr. Clutch himself had another clutch interception," cornerback Antonio Cromartie said Monday.

How much intelligence have Coleman and Lowery been asked to share in Jacksonville? "Nothing you can't see on film," Coleman said with a laugh. Lowery joked that he doesn't have a "sixth sense" on what the Jets are planning this week.

"But I can see them having some wrinkles in what they do," Lowery added, "because we've been there for the past few years."

Both also have a good feel for the offense they'll be playing against this week. Coleman saw up close five seasons of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, and both have practiced against quarterback Mark Sanchez for his entire pro career, save a few weeks.

"It's extra reps against a player," Lowery said. "When you play a quarterback outside your division, you don’t know his mannerisms as well as a quarterback that’s in your division because you don’t have many reps against him. Having reps against Sanchez, you have a better idea."

Week 2 Hope and Concern: Jets

September, 15, 2011

Sep 15

2:30

PM ET

By James Walker

The New York Jets will try to improve to 2-0 Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars (1-0). Here are the biggest reasons for hope and concern with the Jets in Week 2:

Reason for hope: Jets' run defense

Jets head coach Rex Ryan believes he has the best defense in the NFL, and his unit does a great job of stuffing the run. The Dallas Cowboys couldn't get anything going on the ground against the Jets last week. Dallas mustered just 64 yards on 26 carries (2.5-yard average). The Jaguars like to run. They did it 47 times last week in a win against the Tennessee Titans. Don't expect much through the air from Jacksonville starting quarterback Luke McCown. This will be a battle in the trenches. That plays right into the Jets' hands.

Reason for concern: Jets' running game

On the flip side, what happened to New York's power running game? Not only did it disappear in Week 1 against Dallas, but the Jets have been inconsistent running the ball at times in the preseason. The Jets averaged 2.8 yards per rush last week. Their longest run was for seven yards. New York plans to pass the ball more this season. Quarterback Mark Sanchez threw the football 44 times against Dallas. But that doesn't mean Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson can get away with being ineffective with their opportunities. New York needs to run well to win consistently. Week 2 will go a long way toward showing if last week was a fluke or this will be a trend worth watching in New York.

Mark Sanchez: 5 Things He Must Improve After Week 1

September 15th, 2011 Chris Cipriano

While the stats show Mark Sanchez had a pretty good game in Week 1 (335 yards, two TDs, 88.7 passer rating), there is still plenty that the third-year quarterback needs to improve.

Sanchez turned the ball over twice, throwing one interception and losing one fumble. Even worse, both of the turnovers came in New York Jets territory.

He was inconsistent the entire night. At times he looked like a veteran quarterback, but he also looked like he was a rookie again at certain points.

The Jets might be 1-0, but Sanchez still has plenty to work on before he takes that next step as a quarterback. Here are five things he must improve on after his Week 1 performance.

1. Protect the Football

Turning the football over has plagued Mark Sanchez over his short two-year career, and it nearly cost the New York Jets a win on Sunday night.

Sanchez’s near pick-six as the third quarter came to a close put the Jets in a deep 10-point hole to start the fourth quarter. If not for some blunders by Tony Romo, Sanchez would be getting grilled by the media for his mistakes.

Then just as the Jets entered enemy territory, driving to tie the game, Sanchez turned it over again as he was stripped of the ball while being sacked.

Luckily, the Jets overcame those turnovers and won anyway, but Sanchez is not putting the Jets in a position to win by turning the ball over multiple times in Jets’ territory.

2. Know when to throw it away

Mark Sanchez’s second turnover of the night came on a play when he saw nothing open, and so he moved in the pocket hoping to find an open receiver. Before he could release the ball, a Dallas Cowboys defender sacked Sanchez, stripping him of the ball in the process.

Now, this turnover could have been avoided if Sanchez would have just thrown the ball away once he saw no one was open. This is far from the first time this has happened to Sanchez.

I will give him a break though. The Jets were down a touchdown, and he was trying to make something happen. If he were able to avoid the defender and find a receiver for a 20-yard gain, we would all be praising him.

So while I’ll give him a free pass on this one, it is something he needs to improve upon, especially when he feels the pass-rush closing in on him.

3. Be More Consistent

On Sunday night, we saw both the good Mark Sanchez and the bad Mark Sanchez.

For most of the first half, Sanchez looked rather pedestrian failing to move the offense down the field. Then once the Jets were in their two-minute offense, Sanchez looked like a veteran leading his team to a touchdown before the half ended.

In the second half, we saw both sides of Sanchez again. He marched the team 84 yards into the end zone in less than three minutes, including a beautiful back shoulder throw to Plaxico Burress for a touchdown.

We also saw Sanchez turn the ball over two times and struggle to move the ball in the Jets final two possessions with a chance to win.

At times, Sanchez can be a great quarterback. He just needs to show that on a more consistent basis.

4. Throw the Ball Downfield More

Mark Sanchez threw for 335 yards against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday night, one yard shy of his career high. However, one thing Sanchez and the New York Jets didn’t do was throw the ball long.

He had only two completions that went for over 30 yards, and one of them was a halfback screen play. With the Cowboys secondary as banged up as it was, you would have though the Jets would have taken a couple of shots downfield.

You would expect them to especially when you have a guy like Santonio Holmes, who can blow by almost any cornerback in the league. Perhaps, we’ll see Sanchez throw it deep more in the coming weeks.

5. Getting Off to a Better Start

The New York Jets have made it a habit of starting off slow, and that was the case again on Sunday night. For 16 games in a row, the Jets have failed to score a touchdown in the first quarter.

It wasn’t until their final drive of the first half that Mark Sanchez completed a pass of over 10 yards. Most of the blame can be put on the offensive line as they didn’t give Sanchez much time to throw or open up any running lanes.

Simply put, Sanchez needs to play better in the beginning of games. The Jets won’t be able to play catch up every game, and this will come back to bite them them sooner or later.

Jets add RB Joe McKnight, S Eric Smith and WR Santonio Holmes to injury report

Published: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 3:29 PM Updated: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 3:41 PM

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Rex Ryan said that three Jets came out of today's practice with some minor injuries, though it's nothing that will keep anyone out for an extended period of time.

Santonio Holmes (knee, quad) was limited and Eric Smith (ankle) missed a few plays at the end of practice. Joe McKnight dislocated his pinky finger while fielding a punt, but did not miss any time. McKnight said the trainer simply popped it back in.

Holmes said of his injury:

"Nothing to be worried about. Game day is on Sunday, not today. I took it easy today."

LB David Harris (toe) did not practice after dressing with the team and going through warm-ups. Ryan said it was mostly because the team practiced on turf. Had the Jets been on grass, Ryan said that Harris would have been able to do more.

"I still think he'll play (Sunday)," Ryan said. He said that Harris' toe was not broken, nor was it turf toe.

All the following players practiced fully: WR Plaxico Burress (ankle), QB Mark Brunell (calf), CB Marquice Cole (ankle), FB John Conner (ankle), TE Jeff Cumberland (hamstring), DT Marcus Dixon (knee), RT Wayne Hunter (knee), WR Derrick Mason (knee), NT Sione Pouha (knee,ankle).

Conner said that he felt fine at practice and wasn't limited at all. Most of his recent trips to the sideline to work with trainers were because the running backs were working on single-back formations where he wouldn't be needed.

Sanchez audible almost proves costly

September, 15, 2011

Sep 15

4:04

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Jets have enough confidence in Mark Sanchez this season to let him call audibles. Sometimes it works, sometimes it backfires. It could've backfired in a big way Sunday night against the Cowboys.

On a third down from the Cowboys' 32, with 37 seconds left in the game, the Jets threw an incomplete pass, stopping the clock before Nick Folk's game-winning FG. If they had run the ball, it would've forced the Cowboys to burn their last timeout -- and it would've made their last-ditch drive that much harder.

In fact, the Jets called a running play, Rex Ryan revealed Thursday. But Sanchez audibled to a pass.

"We were going to run the ball to set up the field goal, but Mark saw one-on-one coverage on the backside," Ryan said, alluding to WR Plaxico Burress. "He's got great playmaking ability, and he's got playmakers on the outside. Sometimes when you see them, it makes it easier (to pass)."

Ryan didn't scold Sanchez for the audible. He said he trusts his third-year quarterback to get the offense into the right play, a far cry from his rookie year. Back then, Sanchez never would've had the latitude to make that call.

When he saw the pass unfolding, Ryan thought to himself, "What are we doing?" But he backed his quarterback, which, of course, is easier to do when you win the game.

"If he hit it, it would've been the greatest thing going," Ryan said. "In that situation, he probably should've ... It's hard to say."

Ryan noted that Sanchez made a similar decision in last season's wild-card win over the Colts, hitting a big pass to Braylon Edwards in the final seconds. But that call was made on the sideline during a timeout, with an endorsement from the coaches.

Rex expects Harris to play Sunday

September, 15, 2011

Sep 15

5:01

PM ET

By Jane McManus

David Harris missed a second day of practice Thursday with a toe injury, but coach Rex Ryan said the linebacker is expected to play Sunday when the Jets host Jacksonville.

Ryan said he didn't think Harris' toe was broken or that it was turf toe, but that his admittedly limited understanding was that it was something to do with the tendon.

With the Jets moving inside to practice due to the rain in Florham Park and the clear skies forecast for Sunday, Ryan didn't want to run Harris on the turf. Harris was not in the locker room after practice. Harris had seven combined tackles last week against Dallas, second only to linebacker Bart Scott's eight.

"I'd expect him to be out at practice, probably limited tomorrow," Ryan said.

Archived